Macross Zero F-14 Shin Kudo Color Guide

Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Hey guys, I have been looking at screengrabs from Macross Zero, images of completed Hase F-14's from Macross Zero, and the instructions that came with the Hase Macross Zero Tomcat(scans). Can anyone tell me which paints are needed? Not so much the engine areas but the overall paint scheme. For example the corresponding Model Master, Tamiya paint numbers, et al.

Also, sometimes it's hard for me to tell what paint scheme Shin's Tomcat even has. At 1st I thought it was the Tactical Paint Scheme, but in some shots it looks like it is just 2 tones of cool grey, dark for the canopy frame, and a lighter grey for the body(but still a cool grey). In some shots the overall body just looks light grey, especially for the completed kit. However in Hasegawa's shots, the sample looks like it has a cool grey.

Also from the scans for the Hase kit that I have seen, the paint schemes shown are for VF-74 and VF-84, both of which had different applications compared to Shin's Tomcat.

EDIT: Is it supposed to be the "Dark Ghost Scheme" that VF-103 had after being revived as the Jolly Rogers?

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Based on raw color/hue, I vote for standard TPS, or a variant thereof. The upper surface has GOT to be the blue-grey of TPS, and not a ghost grey.

In short, I'd paint it 35237 on top, and 36375 below. Exact specifics are up to you.

20061008105955_F-14A_4.jpg

Thanks David. Looks like Shin's Tomcat is missing the middle grey on the fuselage seen here(below the cockpit):

http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f-14/f-14_profile02.shtml

I don't think I've ever seen a drawing that's actually right for the F-14 TPS. That one's better than most, but still not right---tailfins should be the middle grey, 36320 (AFAIK). You'll also note an impossibility or two---look RIGHT above the tailplanes in the side view. Now compare that area to the overhead view.

Note that almost no TPS F-14 was ever painted exactly how it was "supposed" to be. :)

I don't think I've ever seen a drawing that's actually right for the F-14 TPS. That one's better than most, but still not right---tailfins should be the middle grey, 36320 (AFAIK). You'll also note an impossibility or two---look RIGHT above the tailplanes in the side view. Now compare that area to the overhead view.

Note that almost no TPS F-14 was ever painted exactly how it was "supposed" to be. :)

Thanks David, I looked up the paints, giving me the corresponding numbers definitely helped, much appreciated!

So I am guessing, the best thing to do is mainly go for a 2 tone scheme, like the ones sported by VF-2, VF-103 and VF-154 before they converted to the Super Bug?

VF-2's final CAG I think was two-tone 35237/36320 and what I'd recommend for Shin's, but the line birds (at least some) were clearly "by the book" TPS. (I've never been able to be certain of their CAG's final scheme, and that irks me because there's a zillion photos of it--it's just so splotchy you can't make sense of it)

VF-103's final CAG and CO were fairly close to standard TPS but not quite. Clearly three-tone though.

VF-154 often tweaked things a bit but could usually be counted on to be three-tone.

Really, on an F-14, it's the lightest belly color (36375) that is often "lost/missed". Best bet is to look at the bottom of the nosecone. Due to the shadow of the wing gloves and tailplanes, it's almost impossible to tell "light ghost grey in shadow" from "dark ghost grey in normal lighting". On many planes it is SUBTLE. I mean, I have literally been at arm's length from a clean, washed, Super Hornet, and it can be hard to find the 36320/36375 separation line. Sometimes they really spray the borders WIDE to blend the two colors. But the 35237 top surface color on an F-14 is usually easy to spot, since it's so much more blue-green than the other colors.

PS----all missiles and drop tanks are 36375. That goes for pretty much the entire US military. F-16's and Harriers are the only exception off the top of my head.

VF-2's final CAG I think was two-tone 35237/36320 and what I'd recommend for Shin's, but the line birds (at least some) were clearly "by the book" TPS. (I've never been able to be certain of their CAG's final scheme, and that irks me because there's a zillion photos of it--it's just so splotchy you can't make sense of it)

VF-103's final CAG and CO were fairly close to standard TPS but not quite. Clearly three-tone though.

VF-154 often tweaked things a bit but could usually be counted on to be three-tone.

Really, on an F-14, it's the lightest belly color (36375) that is often "lost/missed". Best bet is to look at the bottom of the nosecone. Due to the shadow of the wing gloves and tailplanes, it's almost impossible to tell "light ghost grey in shadow" from "dark ghost grey in normal lighting". On many planes it is SUBTLE. I mean, I have literally been at arm's length from a clean, washed, Super Hornet, and it can be hard to find the 36320/36375 separation line. Sometimes they really spray the borders WIDE to blend the two colors. But the 35237 top surface color on an F-14 is usually easy to spot, since it's so much more blue-green than the other colors.

PS----all missiles and drop tanks are 36375. That goes for pretty much the entire US military. F-16's and Harriers are the only exception off the top of my head.

Thanks for the info David. For the AMRAAMs and Sidewinders on Shin's Tomcat, what paints should I use for the stripes and caps? Also why are the Sidewinder tips/forward fins black?

• 3 weeks later...