You clearly haven't seen many westerns.

No I have not.

And red face is what Depp is doing in this movie. It's the Native American version of black face.

Oh. Well, acting like someone of another race or ethnicity never bothered me so I never saw it as a negative.

wow, you're really getting your ass handed to you, DG

How? At least I am explaining myself as to why I like this movie, everyone just says "I don't like it" but don't go into detail.

Well, acting like someone of another race or ethnicity never bothered me so I never saw it as a negative.

No, he's not "acting like" he's a Native American; he's doing a caricature, and that is what is offensive. See: Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Edited by Duke Togo

As a very tepid defence of Depp playing a Native American, there is a long history in Hollywood for that sort of thing. Most, if not all, the classic westerns of yesteryear had Italian American actors playing the role of American Indians; but I must agree that Depp's performance is nothing short of pure caricature... bad caricature in that he is portraying a stereotype in speech pattern and mannerisms.

As a very tepid defence of Depp playing a Native American, there is a long history in Hollywood for that sort of thing. Most, if not all, the classic westerns of yesteryear had Italian American actors playing the role of American Indians; but I must agree that Depp's performance is nothing short of pure caricature... bad caricature in that he is portraying a stereotype in speech pattern and mannerisms.

To be fair as well: Tonto has rarely been portrayed as anything but an offensive caricature, so I guess they're true to form on that. While it would've been nice, nobody REALLY expected a big-budget summer blockbuster to take the opportunity to break its mold and present a more serious & fair representation of a native american protagonist, did they?

That being said, I have no interest in seeing this film. Pirates 1 was a lot of fun; but since then, I've had no use for Verbinski.

I am curious to know what made the caricature so "offensive".

I would say that the caricature itself is what may be offensive to some people. Perception is reality, and if some people feel that way then it's the truth for them...

When I heard that this film was being made and Depp would be painted up to play Tonto, I thought "Really? In this day and age?" It truly is an outmoded form of performance, from a time when films could have racist humour and the like. Depp should have known better, of course, but how much money were they waving at him to do this. More than they were waving at Hammer, I'll bet.

The other *massive* issue with this film, as critics have been pointing out, is that as a Western it is unlikely to do much successful business beyond the US domestic market. First "John Carter" and now this? I think that major studios are going to start burying their old "tentpole films" once and for all......

There are some odd rationalizations in this thread. Depp has some native American in him, but that's not good enough. I find it SILLY when Australians play Americans and vice versa but I don't get agitated about it. Tonto is a character, Depp is playing the character, if you don't like Tonto then obviously you're not going to like the film. From what I understand, Disney reached out to native American groups throughout the process of creating this film so for non-natives to hold onto some agitation just seems... silly.

There are some odd rationalizations in this thread. Depp has some native American in him, but that's not good enough. I find it SILLY when Australians play Americans and vice versa but I don't get agitated about it. Tonto is a character, Depp is playing the character, if you don't like Tonto then obviously you're not going to like the film. From what I understand, Disney reached out to native American groups throughout the process of creating this film so for non-natives to hold onto some agitation just seems... silly.

Depp is not recognized as having any Native American blood, and it was something he hasn't mused about in some 20 years.

Folks. This is the Lone Ranger. The whole TV show/idea was silly. This movie is silly. Don't over think this while you are on a site dedicated to a show about giant mecha that turn into jets that fly into space and win wars with pop music.

Folks. This is the Lone Ranger. The whole TV show/idea was silly. This movie is silly. Don't over think this while you are on a site dedicated to a show about giant mecha that turn into jets that fly into space and win wars with pop music.

Don't forget the 'valks with boobs-you can't forget to mention the 'valks with boobs...

Depp is not recognized as having any Native American blood, and it was something he hasn't mused about in some 20 years.

Of all the things you could have responded to in my post, I think this response is the most telling. Rage on DT, rage on.

Of all the things you could have responded to in my post, I think this response is the most telling. Rage on DT, rage on.

It's the first thing to chose to point out; it was your lead. Simply saying its not true.

Folks. This is the Lone Ranger. The whole TV show/idea was silly.

Yes, the original TV series may have been ‘silly’ but they had a real Indian for Tonto.

The Tonto character’s lines were not as literate as the actor but I’ll have the campy old fashioned TV series as it was better than this new garbage of a film.

> but they had a real Indian for Tonto.

As a member of an Eastern tribe, that is in some ways even worse then using a white actor for the part. Unless Tonto was supposed to be an Eastern tribe indian forced to live out west.

Nothing against Jay Silverheels though, from what little I have seen of him he seemed to be a decent man making a living. (sort of like Hattie McDaniel when criticized for playing a maid, her response "I'd rather play a maid then be one")

Depp claims to be of Indian decent but the Cherokee Nation does not recognize him as a member and there is no evidence to support his claim.

Yes, Depp was adopted by the Comanche Nation in May last year but it is a stretch to claim membership in the Nation without the birth right.

Yeah, it is sad that Jay Silverheels wanted to do more with his role but he did the best he could. At least, he showed that not everyone was at war with the white man.

Edited by Fly4victory

This thread reminds me of when I was at the theater to see "Night at the museum" and as I was enjoying the movie and having a good laugh I herd probably the smartest guy in the room point out, "That's not even a gas RC truck! There wouldn't be a fire ball!!" He was totally fine with action figures driving a RC truck, it was the fire ball that made it sooooooooooo unbelievable. LOL

I went to school to get facts, I go to the movie to have fun. I'm going to see this one, and like all the other campy movies I've seen I'll take my 35 IQ and have a blast. Even if that electric RC truck blows up with a big fire ball. :)

What's "fun" about a movie that's widely regarded to be flat out bad?

Yeah I see your point. I have never seen a movie or done anything that was widely regarded to be flat out bad and actually enjoyed it my-self. :rolleyes: I like to enjoy coming to my own conclusion, call me a maverick if you will. LOL

Well, just saw it. It is NOT as bad as the reviews make it out to be, but I wouldn't call it good either. My review.

Some of this is mildly spoilerish...

Tonto - People calling it "Red Face" ignore the fact that the rest of the Comanche in the picture say he is bonkers to begin with. Frankly since everyone is a bad caricature to begin with singleing out tonto is PC gone bad.

Length - Biggest flaw, the movie is just too long.

Ending - Only really fun part of the movie is the end - and most of that is from hearing the William Tell Overture.

Lone Ranger - Who cares about the masked man, and since EVERYONE knows who he really is what is the point of the mask?

And finally to damn the movie with faint praise, it was better then PotC 4, but not by much.

The trailer looks epicly stupid

I am sick of Johnny Depp, and especially sick of his Keith Richards model of character

I am not going to see this because I don't want Disney to make money making stupid slapstick movies. They need a crystal clear picture going in to Star Wars Episode 7... No goofy comic relief garbage. Everyone hates it.

The trailer looks epicly stupid

I am sick of Johnny Depp, and especially sick of his Keith Richards model of character

I am not going to see this because I don't want Disney to make money making stupid slapstick movies. They need a crystal clear picture going in to Star Wars Episode 7... No goofy comic relief garbage. Everyone hates it.

This.

-b.

Yeah I saw it this weekend too. I went in knowing it was going to be campy which it was. I grew up as a kid watching the Lone Ranger on TV (reruns of course) and I knew not to expect what I knew the Lone Ranger was. The boy and I had some good laughs through out the movie, agreed the last 20 minutes were the best. I would agree the movie was to long, Less time should have been spent on character development.

I think they could of done this story in a series and put more action in it it would have been better.

Three 1:30 movies like this:

1st movie, introduce Lone Ranger, some back story on him showing how he became, introduce bad guy hints of series plot and lots of action and campy comedy.

2nd movie, Some back story on Tonto, tie the two (Lone Ranger and Tonto) together with some back story (before he became the Lone Ranger) Continue series plot with lots of action and more campy comedy and big reveal at the end to set you up for final installment.

3rd movie, plot in full swing, Lone Ranger and Tonto in great peril then fully excepting of who and what they have become and what must be done (true hero stuff). Kill the bad guys, save the day and ride off into the sunset. Lots of action, comedy and and true blue hero stuff.

If done right it could of made a great series. but as-is it was fun but to long. I will say the end credit scene was the worst I have ever seen. They should have just stayed with a black screen.