Disney and the crew behind the Pirates of the Caribbean series bring The Lone Ranger back to the big screen, produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and directed by Gore Verbinski. Armie Hammer (the Winklevoss twins in The Social Network) puts on the mask as the title character, while Johnny Depp plays his trusty partner Tonto. How much Disney paid Depp for this is anyone's guess.

Also starring in the film are William Fichtner (Ken Rosenberg in the Grand Theft Auto series, bank manager in The Dark Knight), Ruth Wilson (Jane Eyre, Princess Betsy in Anna Karenina), James Badge Dale (Chase in 24, Eric Savin in Iron Man 3), Tom Wilkinson (Falcone in Batman Begins, IMF Leader in Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol), Barry Pepper (Jonnie Tyler in Battlefield Earth, Pvt. Jackson in Saving Private Ryan), Helena Bonham Carter (Marla in Fight Club, Bellatrix Lestrange in the Harry Potter series), and James Frain (Jarvis in Tron: Legacy).

The Lone Ranger premieres on July 3, 2013.

Official Site

Edited by areaseven

• 2 months later...

I have to agree with the Duke here, this looks like an unmitigated piece of crap, that doesn't insult the source material, but digs it up out of its grave, rapes it, then craps all over it before pissing on. Not only that it is a serious insult to all native american actors out there who are struggling to find work, just so they can put their golden boy johny depp in the costarring role.

Now the Lone Ranger turns to be inmmortal or he always was?

Not really immortal but kinda like The Crow, he was reborn to superhero status but he can still be hurt or killed. His great grandnephew also becomes a superhero in the 60's, grandson of his brother that was a fellow Ranger.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Lone Ranger isn't out yet, but it's already in the running for worst movie of the year. Eat your hearts out, Wild Wild West and Jonah Hex.

Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 16%

Metacritic Score: 40

"Who was that masked man? Who cares?" - Ty Burr, Boston Globe

"Groan Ranger. Well, so much for 'best western.' This one's the worst - and then some." - Lou Lumerick, New York Post

"This attempt for another Pirates of the Caribbean-scaled series tries to have it too many ways tonally, resulting in a work that wobbles and thrashes all over the place." - Todd McCarthy, Hollywood Reporter

A7, I think this calls for a "DUH!" It's like those two White House movies that came out: if you saw the trailers for any of these movies and said, "wow, that looks great, I can't wait to see it," you deserve to have your money taken from you.

Initial impression: So, Johnny Depp just re-does his Jack Sparrow schtick, only in war-paint and feathers? :huh:

The guy playing the Ranger is not really named Armie. His birth name is Armand. Yes. That's right.

facepalm.gif

When this poor bast*rd was growing up, whenever he had to write his name out for a test, or got called for attendance in class or what have you...

Seems like you're going to have to bring back your "I Really, Really Hate This..." review series, A7.

Nah, that was for anime. And since Roger Ebert passed away, that portion of my reviews has been shelved for good.

BTW, I just found out that the movie is 149 minutes long. Sure, that running time works for The Dark Knight, but this?

Edited by areaseven

Video quality, lighting, pacing, action, sound, character development, and execution were all very well rounded all while sticking to the genre; pretty much how I judge every movie ever.

What genre would that be? Red face?