DIY Weapon Effects

ultraman zoffy

Here is what I have so far for my 1/48 missile effects. The frame is made out of paperclips so it's all posable and can be adjusted as you see fit. Let me know what you think so far.

photobucket-19819-1352096022085.jpg

photobucket-5761-1352096060448.jpg

Some tips for anyone trying this for the first time.

1. If you have excess used glue whether it's drops or the thin stringy stuff, keep it. You can use it as a filler for any large areas that need to be filled.

2. Have a large glass of water available. Just like in the video but with a wider top to accomodate odd shapes, like say, eleven missiles pointing in multiple directions.

3. Once you get the shape you want dunk it immediately as the glue will start to flatten and settle as it cools.

As promised. Not bad for a first time. I was hoping to get some rounder smoke effects but eh, it'll do I guess.

photobucket-1719-1352525237658.jpg

photobucket-8835-1352525277924.jpg

Please feel free to provide any comments or suggestions.

Edited by Benson13

Good first effort Benson! From the looks of it, I'd say you just need a little more practice playing with different sculpting techniques and the properties of the glue gun and glue itself. Do you think you could get a closer shot of the cloud bases for the missiles? I know it's a pain to do once they're painted white, but it'd help to see the surface detail in order to give you feedback. Rock on, man. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We use hot melt glue guns all the time here at work when building Gatorboard/Fomecor mockups/models. One thing we have that might be relevent for cooling the glue almost immediately, is a product called "Quick Freeze." It's used to cool electronics to -55F for testing. It works great as it comes with a WD-40 style spot tube for tight areas. It's expensive at $13.00US a can, but well worth it. Theres a couple of brands available, but this is our "workhorse." Hope it helps...

Miller-Stephenson

"Quick-Freeze"

MS-242N

MSN6850-01-333-1841

Net Wt. 14oz (400g)

EDIT: Did the 1/60 armored Valk ever come with the six, hip missle firing effects? I bought the clear set off of ebay, but no hip missles, and it looks funny. Just curious.

Edited by Wasabi-san

Looks great brother. It's funny that you always associated that detail with Macross, I didn't until you mentioned it and then it was an instantanious "duh, why didn't I think of that".

I hadn't seen shell casing effects anywhere on the web. I realized today when i was doing this that Yamato even molded in the ejection port into the GU-11. There's one in the rear for when its collapsed in fighter mode and another one in the center for when it's extended in battroid.

Edited by sreichma

• 3 months later...

Hey Benson,

Did u ever do the leg missiles & hip grenades?

Not yet been slacking and looking for a new job (which I got and lost to Sequestration, boo).

These things happen. I should give this another whirl. One problem is that if I did finish it is that it would take up a huge amount of space.

Edited by Benson13

• 4 months later...