1/48 Atmospheric Booster & Launch Vechicle

macrossfan00

1/48 Atmospheric Booster & Launch Vechicle  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which item are you most interested in?

• 1/48 Atmospheric Booster & Pylon ONLY
    • 1/48 Launch Booster & Pylon WITH Launch Vechicle
  2. 2. Which Valk Should Be Used

• 1/48 Hasagawa VF-1
    • 1/48 Yamato VF-1

You are completely right PetarB. I have heard and read comments from toy collectors saying they appreciate the detail on scale model kits, but they do not have the time, skills, patience to build kits,

And I would also support Atmospheric Booster with Pylon and a separate launch vehicle kit. Everything for hasegawa 1/48 of course.

Here's a fun question.. could you make a booster that's adaptable to either the Yamato or Hasegawa?

I'd have to research how the booster attaches to see how difficult that would be, but wouldn't you have to remove/replace a good portion of the Hasegawa kit before you could attach the booster?

Let's assume any attachment for the Hasegawa would be a permanent addition.

If you designed the booster to fit the 1/48 Yamato VF-1 as-is, you might be able to make it able to be attached/removed. Maybe. Again, I'm not sure if that would be possible, depending on how it has to attach. I'm not thinking of something you'd pick up and zoom around as much as I'm picturing the booster/rail as an elaborate display mounting that you could remove the valk from if you wanted.

Now, to attach a Hasegawa kit to it, you'd just need a replacement piece that fills in where the Yamato would go. Since you're not going to be removing the valk, you just need a filler that will give you something to glue the kit pieces to. While the booster itself would be able to accommodate a 1/48 Yamato VF-1, you just need a dummy plug that covers the openings for the Yamato, and provides the sections of the kit that would need to be modified.

It'll definitely be more complicated to do that way, and I'm really not sure how viable the concept of a removable Yamato display is, but I can probably draw up a quick sketch of what I'm thinking if anyone likes the idea.

I'm try to gauge interest on two separate kits, the Atmospheric Booster with Pylon and the Launch Vehicle.

Also, I'm trying to see which model these kits should be built around, the 1/48 Hasagawa VF-1 kit or the 1/48 Yamato VF-1.

Why not add a 1/60 option to your poll and see if you receive any more bites?......I think you'd get more than the combined 22 you have as of this post.....I'd change my vote!

I really like the idea of using this booster/launch vehicle as a stand....both practical and canon....unlike the current yamato "launch arm".....

Ok, after looking a little closer, it might not even be as complicated as I originally thought to do a combined 1/48 Yamato/Hasegawa booster/stand. I thought the booster covered more of the legs, but it's just over the feet.

The complicated part would be setting up the booster to accept the folded tail structure on the 1/48 Yammie. Once that's done though, you just mold it to fit up against the backplate, and surround the feet. You could support the entire thing by placing supports that extend under the backplate where the wings would fold into.

To adapt it to the Hasegawa kit, you'd make a custom plug that would fill the hole for the tail section, and just glue the booster directly to the fuselage. You'd also need custom plugs for the feet to make sure the hasegawa legs fit snugly, and custom knee joints to drop the legs, since they haven't made a 1/48 super VF-1 kit yet. This actually works better, since you could design the custom knee joints to make sure you can align the kit's legs with the body, even if there's some positioning difference between the Hasegaway and the Yamato.

Really, whether this would be possible or not depends on how close the kit is to the Yamato. Since the kit is much more adaptable, you'd want to build the booster with the Yamato in mind, and then adapt the kit to fit it.

You're probably not going to ever bridge the gap between collectors and model builders, but this would give the maximum flexibility. You'd be able to sell the kit to builders who want a model, and to collectors who want a cool stand for their 1/48ths. :) You'd just need a couple extra filler parts to adapt it to the Hasegawa.

The real trick would probably be making it so you could remove the Yamato valk. You might have to make the booster split in half so you could lift the top, drop the VF-1 into place, and set it back down to cover it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...