The only other English review out there that Ive come across. Not a terrible review, altho he manages to get one plot point wrong in the first paragraph.

http://www.mechadamashii.com/reviews/reviews-macross-30-710/

Such as? It's the same as on Macross Compendium too: http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Macross_30:_Ginga_o_Tsunagu_Utagoe

Such as? It's the same as on Macross Compendium too: http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Macross_30:_Ginga_o_Tsunagu_Utagoe

The Compendium summary is based on the pre-release game text that was used for promotional purposes and was, therefore, purposefully vague.

Having said that, the compendium doesnt say that Leon was investigating Uroboros. The planet is on the frontier of (inner) known space, but its been settled twice over and isnt something that the SMS would 'investigate.' Leon was sent on a simple delivery errand (and Im going from memory here) to deliver the latest software for the VF-25 to the Uroboros branch. After that he was supposed to leave immediately. (And before anyone says anything, I do not consider the first hour of the game to be spoiler territory).

Too much detail for a brief synopsis in a review, to be sure, but the wording makes it sound like he was heading to the planet for an investigation/mystery, whereas the whole point is he accidentally gets stuck there and has nothing better to do in the end than to help Aisha since the intermittently occurring Uroboros Aurora can last for anything from a few weeks to a year and he has no choice but to wait it out.

A small nitpick, granted, but I expect game reviews to get their story right, especially one that so many fans were looking forward to like Macross 30. Then again, the other way to approach it would be to avoid most story details and keep it general like the Kotaku review did, i guess.

Imo neither review got the mix quite right. One had gameplay details/mechanics that the other neglected, while the other had more about returning characters/artwork that its counterpart left out. Just my two yen, of course.

The Compendium summary is based on the pre-release game text that was used for promotional purposes and was, therefore, purposefully vague.

Having said that, the compendium doesnt say that Leon was investigating Uroboros. The planet is on the frontier of (inner) known space, but its been settled twice over and isnt something that the SMS would 'investigate.' Leon was sent on a simple delivery errand (and Im going from memory here) to deliver the latest software for the VF-25 to the Uroboros branch. After that he was supposed to leave immediately. (And before anyone says anything, I do not consider the first hour of the game to be spoiler territory).

Too much detail for a brief synopsis in a review, to be sure, but the wording makes it sound like he was heading to the planet for an investigation/mystery, whereas the whole point is he accidentally gets stuck there and has nothing better to do in the end than to help Aisha since the intermittently occurring Uroboros Aurora can last for anything from a few weeks to a year and he has no choice but to wait it out.

A small nitpick, granted, but I expect game reviews to get their story right, especially one that so many fans were looking forward to like Macross 30. Then again, the other way to approach it would be to avoid most story details and keep it general like the Kotaku review did, i guess.

Imo neither review got the mix quite right. One had gameplay details/mechanics that the other neglected, while the other had more about returning characters/artwork that its counterpart left out. Just my two yen, of course.

Wasn't really bothered about covering the characters stuff, as I was more curious about the core gameplay mechanics (something Kotaku omitted). Especially as it's a game review, not Macross narrative review.

On the investigative element, I disagree (as Leon does investigate the planet throughout the course of the game) and it doesn't bother me so will stay as is.

To clarify, I meant that investigating was not how/why he went to the planet, which is what the review says. Not to mention that theres a conversation where this is clarified and he expects to be able to go back. So technically, its a mistake.

To put it another way, if the manual of SF2 mistakenly said that Ryu was travelling the world fighting because he needed the money, would it change the fact that the player uses the character to fight? No, not at all. It would just be jarring when, when completed, the game talks about his ongoing quest to be find a worthy opponent.

Having said that, I was neither asking nor expecting that the review be changed. Was just pointing out an (admittedly minor) factual error.

Agree that more discussion of gameplay elements is a good thing. But it could also be said to be the least important in a way since (IF the reader has played the PSP games) its the plot and character interactions that are the main new element to Artdinks usual formula. That and the semi-open world gameplay.

Again though, just my opinion. Imo its difficult for someone looking for a review to compare said reviews that cover or omit completely different elements. But its definitely better than having no English language reviews at all. Will be interesting to see what others have to say about the game if/when more reviews pop up.

Edited by Tochiro

To clarify, I meant that investigating was not how/why he went to the planet, which is what the review says. Not to mention that theres a conversation where this is clarified and he expects to be able to go back. So technically, its a mistake.

To put it another way, if the manual of SF2 mistakenly said that Ryu was travelling the world fighting because he needed the money, would it change the fact that the player uses the character to fight? No, not at all. It would just be jarring when, when completed, the game talks about his ongoing quest to be find a worthy opponent.

Having said that, I was neither asking nor expecting that the review be changed. Was just pointing out an (admittedly minor) factual error.

It's not though, as it states he is investigating the planet - which he is doing. So it's not at all wrong.

It's not though, as it states he is investigating the planet - which he is doing. So it's not at all wrong.

Quote:

' He’s currently investigating the mysterious planet Ouroboros and in doing so is attacked by a mysterious variable fighter. Crash landing on the planet...'

Its not what he was doing BEFORE getting attacked. He doesnt start investigating or having any experience doing so until his asked to do so by Aisha - AFTER being shot down.

But as I said above, whatever. The difference isnt relevant if you are focusing on gameplay in the review first and foremost.

Now, as to why I think this matters in context (and this is only my opinion), for me, one of the most refreshing things about Leon as a lead character is that he was (well, is so far, since I'm only 30hrs into the game) a member of the SMS first and, unlike many Macross pilots in the past, didnt have any issues about jumping into the cockpit and getting the job done. He's not a young kid who got caught up in war, or a hippy pacifist musician. He actually succeeds in his initial mission despite being shot down (software was salvaged), gets his flight status transferred between SMS branches, and then does the most important thing - checks that he is actually going to get paid. The man is practical, yet isnt arrogant like Isamu or emo like Shin. He does what needs to be done. This attitude is reflected throughout the game and is a large reason why I havent been missing the ability to play as other pilots (yet) at all. He was shot down not while poking his nose around investigating, but unprovoked while following routine orders. Which is in-character for the character.

But like I said, its not important if you are focusing on gameplay. Just pointing out that the order events happened in is not how they are written in the above quote.

Quote:

' He’s currently investigating the mysterious planet Ouroboros and in doing so is attacked by a mysterious variable fighter. Crash landing on the planet...'

Its not what he was doing BEFORE getting attacked. He doesnt start investigating or having any experience doing so until his asked to do so by Aisha - AFTER being shot down.

That's not right though, as he is currently investigating the planet. That's why he gets shot down in the first place, as the NUNS faction don't want people finding out about Ouroboros' secrets.

That's not right though, as he is currently investigating the planet. That's why he gets shot down in the first place, as the NUNS faction don't want people finding out about Ouroboros' secrets.

No... He gets shot down because he's in the wrong place at the wrong time. He does absolutely no investigating until he gets down on the planet.

No... He gets shot down because he's in the wrong place at the wrong time. He does absolutely no investigating until he gets down on the planet.

But that's still wrong as he is currently investigating the planet throughout the course of the game.

It's not really that difficult after you look over the basics of the guide. I finally stumbled upon changing valks and felt stupid. So I back tracked a bit, did some missions and within 15 minutes I unlocked my VF-0S and started to kick a bit of ass.

But that's still wrong as he is currently investigating the planet throughout the course of the game.

Yes, throughout MOST of the course of the game, not the very beginning. Now, I've gone back and read the original article that brought this up and seems that the author was just trying to describe the general story. You can sort of read it that he's implying that investigating is what Leon came to do, so I can understand the confusion.

How many pages is it and will there be any forthcoming summaries? :)

About 330 pages.

I almost finished it. It is really awesome. Even Ravens from VF-X 2 and Chelsea Scarlett from The Ride are mentioned and Maris Stella appears.

Edited by Jefferson

I'm thinking of getting this as my first Macross Game since I own a PS3 do you guys recommend it for Macross newbs?

If you can't read any Japanese, Macross 30 can have somewhat of a steep learning curve, much more so than Studio Artdink's other PSP/PS3 Macross games.

However Zoroastres English language guide to Macross 30 is a great help and essential if like me you can't read a lick of Japanese. Until you get used to the menu structure and begin to recognise the Japanese text for various items and locations, you will probably find yourself thumbing through his guide on a constant basis. I have a well-worn printed out hard-copy of his guide next to me whenever I play and 32 hours into the game (on story level 4-2), I'm still constantly referring to it for help, especially with the story quests and Hunter's Guild quests.

If you have some spare cash, I'd personally recommend picking up the 2nd Frontier movie hybrid pack Blu-ray first, which contains the movie and a Macross Frontier game by Studio Artdink. The game on that although fairly short is great fun and graphically very beautiful. Then if you find you like the style of the Artdink games and want a more in-depth experience, then go for Macross 30.

Just my two cents.

Graham

I would have to (almost) agree with Graham. While mechanically, M30 is by far the best Macross game ever made... it's action/RPG structure can make it a little difficult to get into. If you're accustomed to things like third-person shooters or arcade fighters (like Budokai Tenkaichi), by all means, go ahead. But if you just want to get a feel for things, you might be better off getting a hybrid pack, even though they present much more shallow gameplay than what is found in M30.

I would go for the second or third one. You ought to be able to find 'em cheap(er) now that they've been out for a while. Hopefully. The third hybrid pack also comes with a voucher to d/l the PS1 DYRL game, IIRC. (Or maybe that was only first-printings of the game?)

I would have to (almost) agree with Graham. While mechanically, M30 is by far the best Macross game ever made..

Wait, wait, wait.... How quickly (20 years) we forget MACROSS: SCRAMBLED VALKYRIE on the Super Famicom! :p

The third hybrid pack also comes with a voucher to d/l the PS1 DYRL game, IIRC. (Or maybe that was only first-printings of the game?)

That was just the limited edition collector's set, unfortunately. Having said that, there are probably a few people who don't have a PS3 but have that set for the movie and extras who are willing to part with their voucher code. Not sure if it is still valid, but I think it should be, it hasn't been a year since release yet.

It's finally here!

My copy arrived today while was out of the house. Installing the game data after the patch (whatever it does).

The one game that I had been waiting for since Ultimate Frontier, that made me jump through hoops and dance in circles.

This is definitely the game that has given me the most difficulty in order to get it, but what the hell, it's worth it!

I've seen gameplay posted on youtube I think I'm just going to get this when I can. I've played action rpgs and Gundam third person shooters and Robotech Battlecry. I think I just need the translation guide for the quests, menus, and the controls. I was able to figure out Gundam Senki 0081, and Gundam Battle Operation fairly quickly.

Just got the visual guide in and to be honest I am surprised it arrived with not a single scratch or bend since it just came in one of those white bubble packages.

th_IMG_20130422_114605_1671_zps4960f497.

Had a big smile on my face the first time I ran into Isamu last night :D Graham

I take it you don't regret getting the game now? :)

Edited by Sorata

How is the guide book? Any line art of the YF-30 or good large pics of the mecha. I'll buy it if its good clear pics of Isamu's YF-29.

Yes, I'm loving the game. Really enjoy trying to get as many kissls as I can in fighter mode. Just wish the ceiling was higher though.

46 hours into the game on my first play through and still only on story mission 5-2, as I'm spending most of my time on Hunter's Guild quests and flying around blowing stuff up :D

And being OCD I have to tune up all the mecha I'v got (except the DLC YF-30, which I refuse to use as it's ugly).

Graham