When I was in Japan back in Winter 2003 as an exchange student I went super scrooge on food, only eating about 400 yen worth of food a day (3 instant curries and instant rice 3-pack) just so that I could buy a Japanese PS2 and the New Macross Game, which totally rocked (got a huge laugh out of choosing Kakizaki for the DYRL mission where he dies)

Already prepaid my LE, just need to get a PS3 now :0

Edited by Duymon

This reminds me...my PS3 is busted and I gotta fix it. I haven't touched videogames in over a year and I really need to get back on Dark Souls :(

Edited by xrentonx

so anybody wondering why the flying speed is pretty slow in this game? I don't have any of the hybrid packs, so I don't know how they compare, but the drop in speed compared to the PSP games is pretty noticeable.. plus it feels weird for such a high tech plane to be flying so slow... Anybody wondered about it?

so anybody wondering why the flying speed is pretty slow in this game? I don't have any of the hybrid packs, so I don't know how they compare, but the drop in speed compared to the PSP games is pretty noticeable.. plus it feels weird for such a high tech plane to be flying so slow... Anybody wondered about it?

It's not that the plane is slower, it's the fact that the environments are a lot bigger.

Also, this being a "full game," chances are the Valkyires can be upgraded like in the PSP games. I don't know if you remember stock stats in the PSP games, but they're much slower than fully upgraded Valkyries.

Regrettably, this info is already out of date. Macross 30 has not placed in the top 30 games that readers are looking forward to for 2 weeks now (ie, the last 2 issues). I'm expecting this to change next week as the marketing machine kicks in fully. Also, the Feb 21 issue of Famitsu is supposed to have some Macross 30 related coverage in it.

Regrettably, this info is already out of date. Macross 30 has not placed in the top 30 games that readers are looking forward to for 2 weeks now (ie, the last 2 issues). I'm expecting this to change next week as the marketing machine kicks in fully. Also, the Feb 21 issue of Famitsu is supposed to have some Macross 30 related coverage in it.

Ah, a shame it got pushed off the top 30. But hey, its great that it was even there in the first place, huh?

Hmmm, we're getting more Famitsu stuff? I wonder if its going to be another two page spread?

Last weekend I was fortunate enough to meet the character designer for Macross 30:

http://www.macrossworld.com/4352/oshare-macross-vd-shinjuku-marui-one-0260221-2013/#more-4352

Sounds like you had a good time even though you were waiting outside in the cold! That portrait of Leon, Aisha, and Mina is great, I wish I had one for my room.

Oh and that reminds me, did you catch what Basara was saying to Sharon in yesterday's seminar?

Famitsu review:

Macross 30: Ginga o Tsunagu Utagoe (PS3) – 8/8/8/8 [32/40]

Not the worst rating in the world. You can tell they did like it, but I wonder what they didn't like about it?

To put the leaked Famitsu review in context:

Macross Ace Frontier: 8/9/9/7 (33/40)

Macross Ultimate Frontier: 8/9/8/9 (34/40)

Macross Triangle Frontier: 9/9/9/9 (36/40)

Macross 30: 8/8/8/8 (32/40)

IMO that score puts it in the good but not great range. It's also probably worth mentioning that the game is probably going to appeal to Macross fans in ways a standard game review doesnt pick up on. (True for any licensed IP title really).

Not the worst rating in the world. You can tell they did like it, but I wonder what they didn't like about it?

As usual, the sort of sites that leak review scores never give any details. Am looking forward to checking out the actual magazine tomorrow. Edited by Tochiro

Oh and that reminds me, did you catch what Basara was saying to Sharon in yesterday's seminar?

Nothing of any importance. he was just spouting off about how songs become better because there are people to listen to them and that with no audience a song would die. In other words, same sort of stuff as usual. I hope he isnt actually giving Sharon any ideas here though...

What categories are those?

What do you mean by 'categories'? Famitsu does (and has always only ever done) cross-reviews with 4 reviewers. They dont break their reviews down by category. Edited by Tochiro

What do you mean by 'categories'? Famitsu does (and has always only ever done) cross-reviews with 4 reviewers. They dont break their reviews down by category.

Ah, OK. It's been so long since I read an issue of Famitsu, I didn't know that was the system.

Some details from Famitsu today:

Game clear time (main quest only): approx. 40hrs

Game clear time (incl. all sub quests): approx. 80 hrs

Positive points:

-Story is a major plus, especially for Macross fans.

-Building and customizing Valkyries is sure to make fans happy

-Newly recorded voicework from original cast is good.

-Quality & volume of newly animated scenes is impressive.

-Easy/Auto-battle modes are great for newcomers/light users.

-Custom soundtrack support.

Negative points:

-In battle, sometimes hard to know what’s going on.

-Controls can be difficult due to switching between 3 modes.

-The many possible actions (ie, attacks, etc) for each mode can make gameplay a little complicated.

Todays issue also has a 9-page Macross 30 special. Most of it is valks/characters/info that has already been revealed. The main new content is a 2-page interview with Miss Macross 30 singer Haruka Chisuga.

tic toc tic toc tic toc...then comes the checking the tracking info every other hour....tic toc tic toc...

Still a week to go yet, lol.

I'm always suspicious of reviewers with clear times. I bet a main quest time is more like 15-20.

Hence the 'approx'. As a medium, given different play styles, this should naturally be taken wih a grain of salt. It is, however, something a lot of people want a basic estimate of when deciding whether or not to buy a game and, as such, is standard for all Famitsu reviews.

Personally, I find my own experiences tend to be close to famitsu estimates but then again i like to take my time when I game. Stop to smell the textures as it were. On the other hand, i have friends who plough through Borderlands 2 or gears of War 3 while skipping any and all cutscenes and text as quickly as possible. They finish games in half the time I do but thats not my definition of fun.

Edited by Tochiro

Positive points:

-Story is a major plus, especially for Macross fans.

-Building and customizing Valkyries is sure to make fans happy

-Newly recorded voicework from original cast is good.

-Quality & volume of newly animated scenes is impressive.

-Easy/Auto-battle modes are great for newcomers/light users.

Negative points:

-The many possible actions (ie, attacks, etc) for each mode can make gameplay a little complicated.

That's a decent amount of game time. Though we have to remember that campaign completion doesn't necessarily imply you've unlocked all valkyries (or at least I hope not), all variations, all super packs and the best parts required to build the best possible versions of them: something I imagine many of us here will be doing.

The positives are all great things to know in advance, but the negatives strike me as a little odd. I doubt the complexity of controls will be a problem for most of us, having played the PSP and Hybrid pack games (with the noted exception of the language barrier).

Still a week to go yet, lol.

Ugh, don't remind me. Its two weeks to go for those of us in America...and that's IF its comes on schedule.

brofist_large.jpg

What does this one mean specifically?

517-challenge-accepted.jpg

Negative points:

These don't sound too bad... 1. sounds like par for the course of Macross games so far.. as long as it is not overwhelmingly difficult

2. If they are retaining pretty much the same controls as the PSP, this should be fine too

3. this i don't get.. it sounds a little nit picky at this point.

Not to sound fanboyish, but these sound like very minor issues. I do hope I'd clock 40 hours out of this though. I need to get my PS3 some mileage. Hokuto no Ken 2 and Castlevania Harmony of Despair is gonna tide me over. Now that I think about it. This game would've been cool if it had a multiplayer option (not a complaint, just suggestions for sequels), since it's pretty much open world, or to include that for the race... but I wouldn't know how that'd work out.

That said, I tend not to take Famitsu scores with a pinch of salt, as they seem to mainly give high scores to companies that advertise with them.

Edited by SaitouSad