So in summary, the world map system plays pretty much like Brutal Legends, where you are free to wander around and fight enemies, but trigger story progressing missions or sub quests by interacting with certain points. Not that it's a bad thing, but I'm glad they decided to include an auto battle mode, though I have no idea how that would play out, except to play it like the PSP Frontier games.

Also, on the topic of Roy Fokker (yeah we kinda expected for him to not show up) am I the only one who's afraid NamcoBandai, what with their DLC milking ways, are gonna release Roy Fokker via DLC, and he'll be playable in some form of free play mode with no story involvement whatsoever?

the other half could be dubstep remixes of Edgar saying 'burger.....hmmm.....american burger.

Argh. For the last time, it's not "American Burger", it's "Meriken Burger", as in Meriken Park in Kobe (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3552.html), you know, because Arjuna, Kawamori, etc.

So in summary, the world map system plays pretty much like Brutal Legends, where you are free to wander around and fight enemies, but trigger story progressing missions or sub quests by interacting with certain points. Not that it's a bad thing, but I'm glad they decided to include an auto battle mode, though I have no idea how that would play out, except to play it like the PSP Frontier games.

I think it would be nothing like the PSP games, because Auto Battle refers to the function where you just let the computer fight for you. Once the battle is done, presumably you would resume your wandering of the world.

am I the only one who's afraid NamcoBandai, what with their DLC milking ways, are gonna release Roy Fokker via DLC, and he'll be playable in some form of free play mode with no story involvement whatsoever?

Any Fokker is better than no Fokker.... You can still fight when yer DLC..*hic*

Argh. For the last time, it's not "American Burger", it's "Meriken Burger", as in Meriken Park in Kobe (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3552.html), you know, because Arjuna, Kawamori, etc.

BUT! Is it Meriken or Merikant?

Boooo! No Focker? This game just got a hell of a lot less cool. I don't give a damn what the reason is...where's my damn Focker? :(

There's plenty of Macross games out there with Focker sempai in it.

A hell of a lot less cool? REALLY?

There's plenty of Macross games out there with Focker sempai in it.

A hell of a lot less cool? REALLY?

I'm being facetious for the most part (still looking forward to this game because...MACROSS) but less cooler...YES! REALLY! :)

Edited by xrentonx

'Cause I'm sure that Kamjin will be thrilled with the idea of human/Zentraedi hybrids. :D

So thrilled he kidnaps Mylene, and takes Mao Nome for good measure.

I guess only thing he would hate more than a Micron/Zentran half breed would be a Micron with ancient protoculture blood.

So, this just occured to me... Any thoughts on whether we will be seeing any space missions? I believe most or all screenshots have shown them to be on the planet, where the plot takes place.

Having most of the game stuck on Uroboros makes sense, story-wise, given the fold phenomenon that essentially traps Leon there for the duration of the game.

having said that, theres clearly some sort of space mission based on the 1min15s mark of the trailer that came out last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F7INFuznyuo#!

EDIT: Just checked out this weeks Famitsu. Only 1 page on Macross 30 and its just regurgitating information about whats in the special edition. No new information for now it seems.

Edited by Tochiro

Having most of the game stuck on Uroboros makes sense, story-wise, given the fold phenomenon that essentially traps Leon there for the duration of the game.

having said that, theres clearly some sort of space mission based on the 1min15s mark of the trailer that came out last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F7INFuznyuo#!

I was under the impression that that was the prologue of the game, since Leon is in his YF-25 and the enemy unit is tagged as YF-29 - Unidentified or something like that. Makes sense, since the "unidentified aircraft" who shoots him down is obviously Rod in his YF-29B.

So thrilled he kidnaps Mylene, and takes Mao Nome for good measure.

I guess only thing he would hate more than a Micron/Zentran half breed would be a Micron with ancient protoculture blood.

Well I'm sure he knew about Komillia, and he never really weighed in on the subject; he was deffinitly down on Zentran/Meltran relations before the end though. Really he took in enough of Earth culture that I'm not so sure he'd descriminate against half-breeds.

What this game needs is ace reporter Hibiki Kanzaki; he'd be able to ferret out the truth of Kamjin's feelings towards half-Zents.

Edited by Ozaline

I was under the impression that that was the prologue of the game, since Leon is in his YF-25 and the enemy unit is tagged as YF-29 - Unidentified or something like that. Makes sense, since the "unidentified aircraft" who shoots him down is obviously Rod in his YF-29B.

I figured that as well. That movie has in-game engine footage though, meaning that its a playable mission.

Edited by Tochiro

The Macross seminar specials will be reposted twice a week on the official Macross 30 site (every Tue and Fri JPN time). Each one will have a bit of footage from Macross 30 added.
The first special, which is an introduction to Macross 30, can be found here:

http://youtu.be/U5FdlYmPgyQ

Also, there will be a signing of the following Macross 30 sign board in Shinjuku in mid-Feb.
post-9325-0-06067200-1359698494.jpg

Edited by Tochiro

THIS VIDEO HAS ALL OF MY FEELS!!!!!!!

Seriously, between this, Gundam Unicorn and StarCraft II, it's brain-melting time.

Anyway, so they discover Mina in some kind of Protoculture... stasis... thing. What if.... she's an actual member of the Protoculture?

486062_522240201154652_689841164_n.jpg

Edited by VF-15 Banshee

Sigh. Ok, who is the silly bugger tweeting the macross 30th anniversary official account about what mechs are in the game? Those guys just repost news for the franchise. If you want to big someone, bug bandai namco jeez.

And it's not like they will tell you anything they haven't officially announced anyway. I mean seriously, wtf man.

THIS VIDEO HAS ALL OF MY FEELS!!!!!!!

Seriously, between this, Gundam Unicorn and StarCraft II, it's brain-melting time.

Anyway, so they discover Mina in some kind of Protoculture... stasis... thing. What if.... she's an actual member of the Protoculture?

486062_522240201154652_689841164_n.jpg

Basara is sooo out of place in there...

I really don't care for the RPG aspect of this game, I just wanna fly around in beautifully rendered VFs and blow crap/other VFs up while listening to cool Macross music/songs!

Can't believe there is an auto battle mode! I mean really I can't wrap my head around why any Macross fan would not want to learn to fly fight in a VF??

Mind officially boggled.

Graham

I really don't care for the RPG aspect of this game, I just wanna fly around in beautifully rendered VFs and blow crap/other VFs up while listening to cool Macross music/songs! Can't believe there is an auto battle mode! I mean really I can't wrap my head around why any Macross fan would not want to learn to fly fight in a VF?? Mind officially boggled. Graham

Well, there are people like my girlfriend who aren't the biggest fans of the mecha (crazy, I know, we've watched tons of mecha together) but are there for the characters as well and can't play games for their life, but still want the experience (She didn't become good at games until she started playing the ones where she HAD to keep playing for the story, like Dead Space, or Mass Effect).

As for the RPG aspect, I think that that's this game's shining quality. I want to fly around and blow up crap in valkyries too, but I feel that getting an RPG with the play mechanics of the PSP games was the best possible answer Macross fans could have gotten. Now if the RPG elements are a problem because we don't read japanese (I know my hiragana and katakana, but that's it), I'd understand, but I'm not sure I understand wanting it to be another rehash of the PSP games with only an updated roster (which is really only an update of 3 valkyries and a super pack. some sports games have had less, but stil...).

I really don't care for the RPG aspect of this game, I just wanna fly around in beautifully rendered VFs and blow crap/other VFs up while listening to cool Macross music/songs! Can't believe there is an auto battle mode! I mean really I can't wrap my head around why any Macross fan would not want to learn to fly fight in a VF?? Mind officially boggled. Graham

Like TyrValein and others have said, Macross really is not about the mecha for the younger fans, especially the ones who got into the franchise through Frontier. Many are into the characters, the fashion, the music, etc.

Sci-fi and mecha has really fallen by the wayside. That said, we should be glad we still have people like Tenjin who put their all into making the Macross SF elements unique, as opposed to just some generic spaceships and stuff halfheartedly thrown in there. I for one think it's great that a franchise can cater to all these different tastes, giving a chance for those fans to come together. That said, I don't need the BL stuff in my face. :p

Missing Misa and Ishtar in that pic. And after all these years Minmay still takes center stage. Impressive. Great image that one.

Misa is not a singer, that's why she's not there. They said that they gathered various singers from different time periods. Yeah, I don't know what Mao is doing there, either. I guess she did sing that island song thing that one time...

As for Ishtar... Yeah, it's a shame that she's getting ignored, but par for the course by this point.

EDIT -- Hang on, Misa did sing at least two songs, making her more worthy than Mao. Even Miria and the bridge bunnies have their own songs. Argh

Edited by Renato

Agreed! That's the reason I slogged through the PSP games!

If this turns out to be a RPG and not a fly around, transforming shoot em up, my pre-order will be cancelled. And to all of the people that say that I'm being stupid, I CAN'T READ JAPANESE!! Plus, normal english RPG's drive me nuts anyways. Too much of that stuff is put in games these days, slowing action down, and making things super confusing (at least to me).

If this turns out to be a RPG and not a fly around, transforming shoot em up, my pre-order will be cancelled. And to all of the people that say that I'm being stupid, I CAN'T READ JAPANESE!! Plus, normal english RPG's drive me nuts anyways. Too much of that stuff is put in games these days, slowing action down, and making things super confusing (at least to me).

It's like you're seriously blind and didn't bother watching the preview video.

I'm not excited about RPG anything because I've grown to despise most JRPGs in general plus I can't really read much Japanese. However, I'll deal because it is Macross and I get to fly around Valks in 720p or 1080p...whichever resolution it is.

As for Ishtar... Yeah, it's a shame that she's getting ignored, but par for the course by this point.

EDIT -- Hang on, Misa did sing at least two songs, making her more worthy than Mao. Even Miria and the bridge bunnies have their own songs. Argh

Mao did sing and summon the power of her people to produce a physical effect at the end of Zero. That, and she's got raw protoculture blood.

Can't just sing to be a Macross true Idol, gotta accomplish something big with it.

Um, yeah, the game is advertised as a Flight-Action RPG. There's gonna be a LOT of talking. But there is an open world part to it where you can fly around. But for me, I don't give two damns if its Japanese or not. NEW MACROSS ANIMATION FTW.

Time for GameFAQs.

Edited by VF-15 Banshee