After much dancing around, finally took the plunge and preordered this from CDJapan. I was able to play thru all of VF-X2 with no issue (both endings, with a little help from gamefaqs), so I hope I'll be able to make enough sense of this iteration to get an enjoyable experience. On the plus side, no need to mod-chip my console for this one!

After much dancing around, finally took the plunge and preordered this from CDJapan. I was able to play thru all of VF-X2 with no issue (both endings, with a little help from gamefaqs), so I hope I'll be able to make enough sense of this iteration to get an enjoyable experience. On the plus side, no need to mod-chip my console for this one!

The only two parts of VF-X2 I found difficult were that damned mission with the VA-3 because it's so slow, and the bad ending fight against Gilliam.

I was under the impression that Mao Nome was her grandmother.

Where did the great aunt thing start? Bad subtitle?

He's referring to the scene in the trailer where Sheryl encounters Sara.

I was under the impression that Mao Nome was her grandmother.

Where did the great aunt thing start? Bad subtitle?

Always uncomfortable when you meet your Grandmother that is younger than you are.

3914290+_5996232e6e8657f8f567beaf0e3dff5

yeaaaaah, so that would put Sara as an aunt, I mean what would you call that a Grand Aunt or a Great aunt? I don't got much in terms of living elderly relatives other than a grandmother, my last grandfather just passed away couple weeks ago.

It's kind of a shame that there is so much effort put into the characters/story of this type of game. I miss the old Mechwarrior kind of games where there was no character and not much story either, just endless missions and deep customization. I can only imagine how much more tuning and customization would be available to us if they could have exchanged time/cost of developing a story & new characters into better gameplay. I'd much rather have a valk chop shop than a stretch of a story with pointless things like silly swimsuit scenes. But I digress.

I'm one of those guys that's into anime solely for the mecha and have little interest in the story/drama :wacko:

lol yeah MW wasn't the best for of combat, I'll give you that. But the mission/story concept was solid. I'd like to see a Macross game that's geared more towards a military campaign than a kid's high-school life or something of the sort. I've never quite understood the relation between giant robots at war and cutesy kids, kind of waters it down.

lol yeah MW wasn't the best for of combat, I'll give you that. But the mission/story concept was solid. I'd like to see a Macross game that's geared more towards a military campaign than a kid's high-school life or something of the sort. I've never quite understood the relation between giant robots at war and cutesy kids, kind of waters it down.

Do you think the music is pointless and that Macross would be better if it was entirely about things blowing up?

Do you think the music is pointless and that Macross would be better if it was entirely about things blowing up?

I wouldn't go as far as to say that. The way they brought the music aspect into the series, as a cultural element the (bred-for-war) enemy was not prepared for, may have been far-fetched but it worked and established the foundation for the future series. I especially think that Plus is the greatest example of Macross and wouldn't change a thing about it. But I do think that Macross-7 is a complete joke, despite having a few cool combat scenes. However the music isn't even what my previous comment was directed towards, if that's what you mean. Not only that, but I would hardly call Macross "entirely about blowing stuff up" if you take away the music. It's hard to deny there is far more to write a story about in war than there is about a few overly-dramatic characters that make mediocre music. Let's not forget that Gundam is a WAY bigger franchise without having the need for silly bands and galactic divas. In some ways one could say that the music aspect of Macross is what held it back from being on par with Gundam, since (in my opinion) Macross has far more interesting mecha designs. Though I'm sure the whole of MacrossWorld will come down on me after these statements.

Anyway I'm not saying change Macross. I'm just saying I would prefer the game actually be centered around combat and warring, not ballads and bubbly girls.

P.S. - Before everybody breaks out their flamethrowers, I'd like to point out that the above is simply my opinion.

Edited by LOW_ALT

I think the 3 important elements of Macross (love triangle, awesome dog fights involving transforming variable fighters and music) should always stay the same. It's what makes Macross such a unique brand. But when it comes down to the games, there really isn't anything quite like flying around and spamming a bajillion missles. Music would just make the experience all the more better. That said, I don't know if the a love triangle interaction system will play well in game. it would probably end up like those dating sims. On that note, I think Sakura Taisen is a good example of blending these 3 elements well (mech turn based strategy, dating sim, and singing)

Super pumped! If Mari Iijima did any duets with any Frontier cast there will be a slightly used copy of Macross 30 up for sale at my funeral estate sale... because I will most certinaly be dead from the goodness.

Minmay + Ranka? Can't imagine. Both of them hitting those great high notes, with Mari Iijima doing that soft close whipser low notes and Megumi Nakajima singing with this huge genuine smile you can literally hear. Head 'asplode.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold yer horses there hotshot. Not to be a negative nancy here but if there were going to be a bunch of newly recorded duets, i'm pretty sure we would be getting a full soundtrack instead of the OP/ED single thats being released. There's been no indication that there will be newly recorded crossovers or mashups (so far at least). I wouldnt be too surprised if they included any of the duets that have been released in the past though.

As for Mari/Megumi duets, they have sung Angel paints together previously. Megumi has also covered DYRL and My Boyfriends a Pilot.

It's kind of a shame that there is so much effort put into the characters/story of this type of game. I miss the old Mechwarrior kind of games where there was no character and not much story either, just endless missions and deep customization.

I'm one of those guys that's into anime solely for the mecha and have little interest in the story/drama :wacko:

Well with all due respect, I for one am glad you have no hand in designing the game! :p

given the fact that they've gone to all the trouble to get 18 voice actors together - the biggest gathering of Macross voice actors past and present ever AND a very rare occasion for some to reprise said roles (*cough*Mari*cough*) - I hope...nay...expect them to get every little piece of character interaction into the game that the plot will allow. Also, for me personally, with so many games and other forms of entertainment out there vying for my time, i need some sort of incentive to finish a game - normally a good story will suffice. Or an average story with familiar characters. So for me, Macross 30 should fill my needs just right. On the other hand, story doesn't need to detract from good gameplay. (I refuse to use the word deep since, comeon now, deep gameplay mechanics/customization is not what Bandai does or has ever done).

Heres a question though - were the mechanics of PSP games suitably engaging for you? If so, then thats the least we can reasonably expect from this new game. So hopefully everyone will be happy.

I think the 3 important elements of Macross (love triangle, awesome dog fights involving transforming variable fighters and music) should always stay the same. It's what makes Macross such a unique brand. But when it comes down to the games, there really isn't anything quite like flying around and spamming a bajillion missles. Music would just make the experience all the more better. That said, I don't know if the a love triangle interaction system will play well in game. it would probably end up like those dating sims. On that note, I think Sakura Taisen is a good example of blending these 3 elements well (mech turn based strategy, dating sim, and singing)

Theres been no announcement so far of any sort of dating system in the game as far as I know. thats not to say there wont be some sort of system to build up your stats with certain characters, but its far to early to worry about it imo.

As for the 3 pillars of Macross, remember that Kawamori manages to keep all three in play by constantly changing the mix/balance between them. And I'm sure that the staff of Macross 30 will work out a balance that suitable for an interactive medium without totally eliminating either one. (Speaking of Kawamori, I met him on Saturday... but thats a discussion for another thread ;) )

EDIT: Going from this pic that a friend took at the Osaka 1:1 Valk exhibition, the character relationship chart has been restructured a little.

post-9325-0-23057100-1359441710_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tochiro

Well, that's interesting. Because the original version was literally 1/10 that length.

Some titbits of new information. A rough trans:

-Pilot parameters can be leveled (hence ‘RPG’)

-The skill system from previous Macross games will be used.

-Up to 2 wingmen and can set your own support character (songstress) with different abilities. Ie, equip Sharon Apple for abilities that will confuse the enemy (No word on whether wingmen are AI only. Also, i'm presuming that using Sharon Apple will only be doable once you've defeated her initially).

-As can be seen from the character relationship chart, many of the series songstresses have been captured. Rescuing them as the story progresses will unlock new support characters/abilities. The first two characters on your side will be Alto and Sheryl. (ie) presumably 1 wingman and 1 support character).

-First Valk you get will be the VF-0D (Leon’s original valk is shot down in the games prologue). The fold distortion on Uroboros is disruptive to the supply chain so older valks are repaired and reused quite a bit.

-Valkyrie Development System: Valk designs can be bought from shops and earned via sub-quests. Enemies can be defeated for parts. You can use these resources to either improve the specs of your current valk or build new ones. New valk development (ie, the designs that become available) will proceed mainly in chronological order starting from the VF-0D.

-Super packs – if you build, for example, Super packs for the VF-1, these can also be used on all varieties of the VF-1.

-‘Song System’ - of course, Basara can use songs to force enemies back while using his Fire valk.

-In the story, it’s Aisha that develops the YF-30. It’s the strongest valk in the game.

-Can fly freely around the world map although, being an RPG, you will have to fly to a certain point to move the story forward. Enemies can attack you while on the world map. Some enemies will have their own areas where they have carriers/battleships. Defeating these will decrease the number of enemies in the immediate area while failing to do so will result in more enemies.

-Some sub-quests will only be available for a limited time or may be available in areas that are only accessible during a certain stage in the story.

-There is an auto-battle mode so that more casual users who think that a ‘flight action RPG’ would be too hard can enjoy the game as well.

-There are multiple endings.

-Fokker and Kakizaki will not appear in the game. While the fold phenomenon on Uroboros allows for characters from different periods to make an appearance, the period in their own timelines is fixed. Therefore, the Macross TV characters appear on Uroboros at a point when, in their own time, Fokker and Kakizaki are already dead. Similarly, Max and Milia come in from Macross 7. Their younger SDF Macross selves will not appear

(having 2 sets of the same characters would be strange, apparently).

-Plenty of songs will be included in the game. Songs are also a key point of the game as is only natural for Macross.

New songs will be used for the OP and ED (Haruka Chisuga). Also, the character Mina likes to sing so may find herself singing songs from other songstresses as she listens to them.

-Main story is fully voiced. Various animated scenes and illustrations made just for the game. Crossovers that can’t be experienced anywhere else such as Sara x Sheryl and Mylene x Kamujin.

Edited by Tochiro

-Fokker and Kakizaki will not appear in the game. While the fold phenomenon on Uroboros allows for characters from different periods to make an appearance, the period in their own timelines is fixed. Therefore, the Macross TV characters appear on Uroboros at a point when, in their own time, Fokker and Kakizaki are already dead. Similarly, Max and Milia come in from Macross 7. Their younger SDF Macross selves will not appear

Wha?? That's a BS excuse -- He's sure as hell not dead in Zero!! Put that Focker in now, I say!

(Quote function has changed and I'm not sure how to use it now, btw.)

Edited by Renato

-Fokker and Kakizaki will not appear in the game. While

the fold phenomenon on Uroboros allows for characters from different

periods to make an appearance, the period in their own timelines

is fixed. Therefore, the Macross TV characters appear on Uroboros at a

point when, in their own time, Fokker and Kakizaki are already dead.

Similarly, Max and Milia come in from Macross 7. Their younger SDF

Macross selves will not appear

And we know how the whole younger selves thing went down in Back to the Future part II. :D
Edited by VF-15 Banshee

EDIT: Going from this pic that a friend took at the Osaka 1:1 Valk exhibition, the character relationship chart has been restructured a little.

attachicon.gifchart2.JPG

Heh. That's the exact same chart that's on the back of MC 02 - in the form of an ad.

(Quote function has changed and I'm not sure how to use it now, btw.)

It's twitchy, alright. I recommend toggling BB code on/off as a quick fix.

Ok...so what do I need to do to get this game? Wait till Feb 28 and order from a vendor in Japan? This game is going to be like heaven, can't wait!

EDIT:

Going through the thread I chose to pre-order from AmiAmi :)

Yay!

Edited by Zor Primus

Quick question...If Kakizaki and Fokker aren't in the game because they died before their series' appearance in the game...why is Michel still in Frontier? Alto clearly talks about defending Sheryl AND the Vajra in the trailer, something that he didn't start to do until AFTER Michel's death and coming to terms with the fact that the Vajra were being controlled against their will. Unless Michel comes from the Frontier movies? I don't get it.

Ok...so what do I need to do to get this game? Wait till Feb 28 and order from a vendor in Japan? This game is going to be like heaven, can't wait!

Ack you are coming to this LATE. You wait till the 28, that might be pushing your luck.

I ordered mine from CD Japan, they only have 16 copies left of the regular edition.

Edited by Kaldar5

Ack you are coming to this LATE. You wait till the 28, that might be pushing your luck.

I ordered mine from CD Japan, they only have 16 copies left of the regular edition.

Yeah...was able to pre-order from AmiAmi, not the uber edition though. :(

Edited by Zor Primus

So Hikaru can't tell young Roy to look out for an alien invasion in the future, it kinda makes sense if they want to preserve some form of canon. On the flipside older Max may suggest that Hikaru keep the megaroad away from the center of the galaxy. This time travel stuff always gets hairy no matter how careful you are.

-Up to 2 wingmen and can set your own support character
(songstress) with different abilities. Ie, equip Sharon Apple for
abilities that will confuse the enemy (No word on whether wingmen
are AI only. Also, i'm presuming that using Sharon Apple will only be
doable once you've defeated her initially
).

Wouldn't it be hilarious if you were able to defeat Sharon because Basara's the only one not affected by her?

-As can be seen from the character relationship chart, many of
the series songstresses have been captured. Rescuing them as the story
progresses will unlock new support characters/abilities. The first two
characters on your side will be Alto and Sheryl. (ie) presumably 1 wingman and 1 support character).

I suppose this means you'll actually run into them before you investigate the ruins and find Mina?

-First Valk you get will be the VF-0D (Leon’s original valk is
shot down in the games prologue). The fold distortion on Uroboros is
disruptive to the supply chain so older valks are repaired and reused
quite a bit.

This makes sense, although you'd think that Ouroboros SMS would have at least a couple of advanced Valks on their ship, besides Aisha's VF-19E. BTW what makes a VF-19E different from the other models?

-Valkyrie Development System: Valk designs can be bought from
shops and earned via sub-quests. Enemies can be defeated for parts. You
can use these resources to either improve the specs of your current valk
or build new ones. New valk development (ie, the designs that
become available) will proceed mainly in chronological order starting
from the VF-0D.

Chronological order, eh? Hopefully that means VF-4, even if they're not including the VF-17 as well.

-In the story, it’s Aisha that develops the YF-30. It’s the strongest valk in the game.

Beauty and brains, a winning combination. Although, I don't thik I'll ever get used to that weapons pod.

-Can fly freely around the world map although, being an RPG, you
will have to fly to a certain point to move the story forward. Enemies
can attack you while on the world map. Some enemies will have their own
areas where they have carriers/battleships. Defeating these
will decrease the number of enemies in the immediate area while failing
to do so will result in more enemies.

Sweet.

-Some sub-quests will only be available for a limited time or may
be available in areas that are only accessible during a certain stage
in the story.

Sounds like Mass Effect 3 a bit.

-There is an auto-battle mode so that more casual users who think
that a ‘flight action RPG’ would be too hard can enjoy the game as
well.
Auto-battle? Where's the fun in that? :)

-There are multiple endings.
Better be better than ME3. :D Seriously, this does make me wonder if you can end up with either Mina or Aisha? Or if you could take a so-called 'Renegade' route and help the bad guys? Possibilities. :)

-Fokker and Kakizaki will not appear in the game.
While the fold phenomenon on Uroboros allows for characters
from different periods to make an appearance, the period in their own
timelines is fixed. Therefore, the Macross TV characters appear on
Uroboros at a point when, in their own time, Fokker and Kakizaki are
already dead. Similarly, Max and Milia come in from Macross 7. Their
younger SDF Macross selves will not appear

As has been said, I suppose that the real reason they don't include Roy is that they don't want to outshine Hikaru.

-Plenty of songs will be included in the game. Songs are also a key point of the game as is only natural for Macross.

You don't suppose they'll include Diamond Calling?

New songs will be used for the OP and ED (Haruka Chisuga). Also, the
character Mina likes to sing so may find herself singing songs from
other songstresses as she listens to them.

Potential Macross cover song album?

-Main story is fully voiced. Various animated scenes and
illustrations made just for the game. Crossovers that can’t
be experienced anywhere else such as Sara x Sheryl and Mylene x Kamujin.

'Cause I'm sure that Kamjin will be thrilled with the idea of human/Zentraedi hybrids. :D

So Hikaru can't tell young Roy to look out for an alien invasion in the future, it kinda makes sense if they want to preserve some form of canon. On the flipside older Max may suggest that Hikaru keep the megaroad away from the center of the galaxy. This time travel stuff always gets hairy no matter how careful you are.

Excellently thought out! makes sense to me! It will be interesting to see what sort of story-excuse they have for the Fokker not being with the Zero characters though.

Macross 30 just has to end with a memory wipe and everyone is sent back, or a paradox that prevents the entire thing from happening after it's resolved.

Beats having a character wake up and say "it was all a dream" at least.

Well, the word 'official' is being thrown around by the producer quite a bit. Also, the events of the game have an official date - one year after the end of Frontier. So, even WITH a memory wipe, it looks like the game could be about as 'canon' (oh no! The 'C' word!!) as anything else in the Macross universe is.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if you were able to defeat Sharon because Basara's the only one not affected by her?

I suppose this means you'll actually run into them before you investigate the ruins and find Mina?

This makes sense, although you'd think that Ouroboros SMS would have at least a couple of advanced Valks on their ship, besides Aisha's VF-19E. BTW what makes a VF-19E different from the other models?

Dude, why are you asking ME questions? lol. If there was any further information in the article I would have said so.

Sounds like Mass Effect 3 a bit.

Its a fair bet that no-one at Bandai has played it. Especially someone involved in an IP so directed at the local market. Western RPGs dont do squat here. And we didnt even Star Craft 2 or Diablo 3.

Auto-battle? Where's the fun in that? :)

For better or for worse, there are way more younger Frontier fans than oldskool fans. Many may not be into games (anecdotally, the majority of the ones I know personally arent). This is one way to make the game accessible to them (as is making the first characters Leon teams up with Alto and Sheryl). No-one is forcing you to use the option, lol.

You don't suppose they'll include Diamond Calling?

Potential Macross cover song album?

Well, Chisuga WAS originally supposed to get an album deal out of winning the Miss Macross Contest.

But maybe we will get a Bobby cover album instead - heck, he has already done half of one. the other half could be dubstep remixes of Edgar saying 'burger.....hmmm.....american burger.

Edited by Tochiro