It is just an container. Usable both with a missile launcher, with a beam gun and something like that. How to use it is up to the optional system.

He said he made the new flexible system in the end.

Thanks for the information. I'd work on a transcript or something, but he speaks quite fast at some parts.

I suppose this means that the YF-30 won't have a Super Pack due to its Conformal Modular Weapons Bay (I didn't coin that term, but it certainly is awesome). It'll probably just be able to switch out the module for different types of weapons. I wonder if there are more modules besides just the beam cannon and the missile pod? Maybe some sort of booster module for higher speed? Or maybe a fold booster module? I wonder if we'll see pics of it with different modules soon.

Hey, shooting on rails just brings me back to the glory days of Star Wars: Rebel Assault and Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire. Good times man, Good times.

And as for not including Mac2, I do find it a little puzzling, since it would not be hard, given the nature of this game, to explain the presence of Hibiki, Sylvie and Ishtar.

Edited by VF-15 Banshee

And as for not including Mac2, I do find it a little puzzling, since it would not be hard, given the nature of this game, to explain the presence of Hibiki, Sylvie and Ishtar.

I thought it was a cross-time game, not a cross-reality game?

This is weird. Today, someone was kind enough to upload a pic of a Macross chronology at an exhibition in Osaka. At first, I was excited, because Macross 30 was listed in the chronology, leading me to believe that the story it entails would be canon. But then I took a closer look and saw that the timeline extended into 2091 (Macross II's timescale), and I began to doubt its authenticity. Either this was made by someone who doesn't quite know the circumstances in regards to Macross II's "situation" or Kawamori had a change of heart. Since the latter seems unlikely, I feel like it might be the former. Which sucks, because I'd like to see M30 treated as a playable OVA as sorts and Leon, Mina, and Aisha featured in future material (be it games/books/etc.).

Macross II has been recognized as being set in 2091 for a long time now. Even in the Macross Chronicle magazines.

I actually find it kind of interesting just how obsessed foreign fans are over continuity and how little Japanese fans seem to care about it.

I thought it was a cross-time game, not a cross-reality game?

If I've learned anything from Star Trek it's that Weird Space Phenomenons can make just about anything happen. :D But seriously, for a game that's celebrating 30 years of Macross, it seems strange to leave out a major entry just because it's "non-canon" or whatever the reason is.

I actually find it kind of interesting just how obsessed foreign fans are over continuity and how little Japanese fans seem to care about it.

Personally? I blame the Star Wars EU.

But seriously, for a game that's celebrating 30 years of Macross, it seems strange to leave out a major entry just because it's "non-canon" or whatever the reason is.

Technically, it's "non Studo Nue timeline". Which, in real world terms, probably means that there are legal complications. Ie: it'll cost more to get the licence to use the designs. I'm not saying that's the reason why we haven't seen anything from MII in the game to date (it very well might appear in a later announcement), especially as Big West is the owner...

Nevertheless, it might just be Kawamori who poo-pooed the designs. Or it might be to reflect the general (Japanese) Macross fan's view of what a Valkyrie is (if memory serves, Tenjin Hidetaka himself feels that if a Valkyrie is NOT designed by Kawamori-san, it's NOT a Valkyrie. End of story.)

Personally, I don't feel like the in-universe technology in the MII designs matches very well with the Studio-Nue timeline's technological evolutions and revolutions, but that's just me.

Technically, it's "non Studo Nue timeline". Which, in real world terms, probably means that there are legal complications. Ie: it'll cost more to get the licence to use the designs. I'm not saying that's the reason why we haven't seen anything from MII in the game to date (it very well might appear in a later announcement), especially as Big West is the owner...

Actually, the term "non Studio Nue timeline" is meaningless these days, since Studio Nue has virtually nothing to do with Macross after Zero. You might as well shove Frontier into that timeline.

There's no real rights issue either.

Nevertheless, it might just be Kawamori who poo-pooed the designs. Or it might be to reflect the general (Japanese) Macross fan's view of what a Valkyrie is (if memory serves, Tenjin Hidetaka himself feels that if a Valkyrie is NOT designed by Kawamori-san, it's NOT a Valkyrie. End of story.)

Yeah, this is most likely the real deal. Kawamori just doesn't think MacII fits anywhere.

Actually, the term "non Studio Nue timeline" is meaningless these days, since Studio Nue has virtually nothing to do with Macross after Zero. You might as well shove Frontier into that timeline.

Oh, I'm so 90's.

In 1993. I have never found any Macross II videos at the video rental shop I sometimes went to. I enjoyed Gundam 0083 then. I subscribed Animage, Newtype, and some Computer-related magazines specialized in games like Comptiq and Login, I don't remember M II things in such magazines. Sailor Moon, Slam Dunk, Nadia, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, and so on were a hit, but M II was/ is not so popular in Japan.

Edited by antibiotictab

In 1993. I have never found any Macross II videos at the video rental shop I sometimes went to. I enjoyed Gundam 0083 then. I subscribed Animage, Newtype, and some Computer-related magazines specialized in games like Comptiq and Login, I don't remember M II things in such magazines. Sailor Moon, Slam Dunk, Nadia, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, and so on were a hit, but M II was/ is not so popular in Japan.

Well, that is understandable, as those were all TV shows. Macross II received minimal coverage, but mostly in B-Club, and such "maniac"-oriented magazines.

Well, that is understandable, as those were all TV shows. Macross II received minimal coverage, but mostly in B-Club, and such "maniac"-oriented magazines.

Gundam 0083 was not a TV show. And the interesting thing is,

M II: Only one Macross Shoji Kawamori didn't join

G 0083: Only one Gundam Kawamori joined

Macross II has been recognized as being set in 2091 for a long time now. Even in the Macross Chronicle magazines.

Personally, I don't feel like the in-universe technology in the MII designs matches very well with the Studio-Nue timeline's technological evolutions and revolutions, but that's just me.

Its not me obsessing over canon. I think sketchley summed up what I meant quite nicely. If the creator doesn't really want to appreciate a work as part of the official timeline, I'm inclined to consider it as not such, whether or not I agree with it. Which is why it was a little surprising in some senses, but not in others (like the fact that Kawamori likely didn't have much to do with the planning and layout of the exhibition).

This game looks totally awesome! Trying to get my head around:

a) Need a PS3 (Only have an XBox 360 & PC)

b) Said PS3 would probably be the latest generation (Midget PS3) type

c) Midget PS3 would need to be -cough- converted to play a Japanese import game?

That's a lot of needs. :( And after looking at the projected Valkyrie Toy Budget for 2013 fiscal year...seriously might not happen! Double :(

Or it might be to reflect the general (Japanese) Macross fan's view of what a Valkyrie is (if memory serves, Tenjin Hidetaka himself feels that if a Valkyrie is NOT designed by Kawamori-san, it's NOT a Valkyrie. End of story.)

Just a minor note - this was Tenjin-san's personal opinion. It does not reflect any sort of official stance or policy. Having said that...

Yeah, this is most likely the real deal. Kawamori just doesn't think MacII fits anywhere.

Agreed. He had minimal involvement in the PSP games which werent original/adding anything new to the Macross universe anyway. With M30 having an original valk and an original story, I daresay he is a little more picky over what makes it in and what doesnt.

c) Midget PS3 would need to be -cough- converted to play a Japanese import game?

That's a lot of needs. :( And after looking at the projected Valkyrie Toy Budget for 2013 fiscal year...seriously might not happen! Double :(

As noted earlier on in this thread, PS3 games are 99.99% region free. No mod-chips or conversions required. So all you need is one of those cheap slim PS3s and the game and you are good to go.

I only had an Xbox 360 too, but I got a PS3 recently, for Macross 30 obviously, among other things. There's nothing wrong with the super slim PS3 as far as I can tell. I like it. Lastly, PS3 isn't region locked. You won't need to do anything to play Macross 30 on your new PS3. I've also been playing Gundam EXVS on mine, which is a Japanese only game, with no problem.

With M30 having an original valk and an original story, I daresay he is a little more picky over what makes it in and what doesnt.

Isn't he personally overseeing the story as well?

Edited by TyrValein

It appears that Mr. Kodachi Ukyo (of Macross the Ride fame) is in charge of the scenario (probably as close as one can get to story in a game...)

Well put. As far as I know, Kawamori's role is mainly supervisory. Which isnt surprising since I'm sure he is busy with the second season of AKB0048 right about now.

Valkyrie toys are cool, but these games are like being able to play with Valkyries in a more dynamic way :)

Okay! So I've figured out something today.

We no longer have infinite ammo for weapons a la Frontier games. We have to buy clips from the store. Its an interesting change and one I welcome fully. I guess we should be more careful when exploring dungeons and fighting bosses. Would be a shame to run out of ammo and have to fight using melee against the Quarter, huh?

Okay! So I've figured out something today.

We no longer have infinite ammo for weapons a la Frontier games. We have to buy clips from the store. Its an interesting change and one I welcome fully. I guess we should be more careful when exploring dungeons and fighting bosses. Would be a shame to run out of ammo and have to fight using melee against the Quarter, huh?

That'd have to be an awfully big dungeon to fit in the Quarter :p

Graham

That'd have to be an awfully big dungeon to fit in the Quarter :p

Graham

Well, I meant either dungeon diving or fighting bosses. You clearly fight the Quarter itself in the trailer. :D

I wonder if ammo will be possible to aquire during the missions via kills or resupply points?

That's a good question. Would be kind of unfortunate to lose your forward momentum in a quest because you forgot to restock beforehand. Then again, the price of ammo is only 100G per box...so I get the feeling it won't ever be a problem on Normal and Easy difficulties. We were also considering that the VF-27/YF-29/YF-30 use beam gunpods and wouldn't have to use ammo (presumably). Also any head beam guns valkyries use. And apparently the YF-25 has a usable laser machinegun...

Valkyrie toys are cool, but these games are like being able to play with Valkyries in a more dynamic way :)

Ehehehehe! Thanks for the encouragement Keith.

This doesn't help my cause any though! The Mrs will definitely not approve. Hehehe. Must...refrain...nff...nff!

So was there a new Famitsu this week? Or did they skip it because of the New Year?

First week in quite a few without any new Macross 30 info...

The "committee" on the Macross 30th site has been quiet too, when they usually post once a week. Maybe I'm just jumping the gun...it is only 11am in Japan after all.

Edited by TyrValein

So was there a new Famitsu this week? Or did they skip it because of the New Year?

First week in quite a few without any new Macross 30 info...

The "committee" on the Macross 30th site has been quiet too, when they usually post once a week. Maybe I'm just jumping the gun...it is only 11am in Japan after all.

Dont expect any news at the normal time this week due to the New Year break. For example, Famitsu has only posted 1 news story in the last 3 days. This happens every year.