I picked up Ground Zeroes on X1 early...Can't say how...Alright whatever, mom and pop game stores get stuff in early all the time, I've been going to one here in Vegas for over a decade, I also got to pick up South Park Stick of Truth early. I'm biased towards the Metal Gear series, I think it's one of the greatest gaming series ever created, so naturally I'm loving GZ, the price tag got dropped for all versions a month back or so I believe so that may make your choice on picking it up easier, I'd certainly recommend it.

Let me know how you feel 3 hours from now when you really start getting into the game and it just stops with a "To Be Continued..." :p

Guest davidwhangchoi

I picked up Ground Zeroes on X1 early...Can't say how...Alright whatever, mom and pop game stores get stuff in early all the time, I've been going to one here in Vegas for over a decade, I also got to pick up South Park Stick of Truth early. I'm biased towards the Metal Gear series, I think it's one of the greatest gaming series ever created, so naturally I'm loving GZ, the price tag got dropped for all versions a month back or so I believe so that may make your choice on picking it up easier, I'd certainly recommend it.

i'm going crawl everywhere instead of run when my copy comes in to make it a longer experience.

Damn so I beat Ground Zeroes, I can say I'm disappointed as far as length goes, I now feel like I shouldn't have played it, because if I don't get my hands on MGSV in the next 24 hours I'm going to melt the polar ice capes causing mass floods and destruction.

Damn so I beat Ground Zeroes, I can say I'm disappointed as far as length goes, I now feel like I shouldn't have played it, because if I don't get my hands on MGSV in the next 24 hours I'm going to melt the polar ice capes causing mass floods and destruction.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....*hack*...*cough*... ha. ;)

Did the "To be continued!?" at the end of GZ give a date to expect the full game? Is it safe to assume we will see PP released next year (maybe in March)?

There's been mixed talk about a release date, Ground Zeroes itself doesn't give any specific date or anything, it just murders your mind and let's you know you won't see the rest until at least early 2015. That said, this article came out today: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/17/metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-may-release-early-2015

So I finally unlocked then beat the X1 exclusive Raiden mission, it was truly a pain in the ass to unlock, and it was fairly short, but it was pretty damn fun none the less, it was a bit more action oriented than I would like, but it was Rising Raiden so I can understand it. I also alternately completed the side missions and found out there are actually different cut scenes based on how you complete the missions! That's kind of cool, in the end I found there to be a solid, lol, amount of gameplay for my money. Can anyone comment on the PS exclusive Pixel Snake mission?

Guest davidwhangchoi

i picked it up today at toys r us. it comes with a 10 dollar gift card which i'm using towards optimus prime year of the horse. and got also 10% off so it wasn't too bad if it ended up being about 18 bucks net.

I broke down and got this game a few days ago. I couln't help myself. But it was jarring as hell not to hear Hayter's gravely voice coming out of Big Boss's mouth, and I am not sure I can carry on to The Phantom Pain.

Anyway, as to the gameplay, I think a lot of the hand-wringing going on over how long it takes to beat is a bit silly. Yes, you can "beat" the main mission pretty quickly; it took me between one and two hours (kinda feeling out the area and the game). At the end of it, it showed me at 10% completion. Yeah, I barely scratched the surface of this openworld game, and I haven't touched the side missions yet. I saw maybe 1/8th of the base during the main mission, and missed a ton of stuff by just trying to complete the given objectives. There is a lot more to do and see than the basic orders you are supposed to follow. It's openworld for a reason. Oh, and without a doubt Ground Zeroes has the best controls out of any MGS game. It's a pure pleasure to play. The game looks amazing on the PS4, to boot.

That said, all of these tape recordings and diary entries are a major step in the wrong direction. I don't want to spend an hour or two sitting around listening to all of this crap. Also, predicatibly, the writing is fairly over the top to the point of being cringe-worthy. Having recently come off a playthrough of The Last of Us, I felt like my IQ dropped 40 points listening to the characters of Ground Zeroes spout their nonsense. And again, there is the Sutherland issue which I really struggled with. His voice takes me out of the game everytime he speaks. I know who Snake is, and this isn't Snake.

Edited by Duke Togo

I really liked Kiefer Sutherland, I'm a massive fan of 24 so there could be some bias there, but I accepted early on he isn't playing Solid Snake, or even Naked Snake. In this game and the upcoming MGSV Sutherland plays Naked Snake/Punished Snake/Big Boss, and where we're at on the overall Metal Gear timeline, we're not far off from when Big Boss becomes a completely different identity from Naked and Solid Snake, his next step after this game is to become Big Boss from the original Metal Gear. I think a change of voice actor was necessary, does anyone remember Metal Gear, and or perhaps Gun of the Patriots? Naked Snake HAS to become a different identity at some point, his voice and look completely changed to the point that in Metal Gear it's a surprise that Solid is a clone of him. The way I see it Sutherland wasn't supposed to play Solid or even Naked Snake, he was supposed to play an aged, nearly there Big Boss, and as far as I've seen, mission accomplished. Long drawn out audio logs and conversations are a staple in Metal Gear, I don't know why you'd want to play one and not want to listen to the stuff, to me that would be like playing Bioshock and not wanting to use Plasmids or Tonics, that ridiculous over the top stuff is always going to be there and isn't going anywhere, it's more or less the bread and butter of the series.

I've played every console MG game going back to the original on the NES, and I don't ever recall spending a significant amount of time sitting around doing nothing but listening to audio clips. And yes, Big Boss is different than Solid Snake, but the Japanese release is still using the same voice actor. Kojima blew this one, plain and simple. As far as the dialog goes, you apparently missed my statement of just having come from playing The Last of Us. But, whatever, it is what it is.

I've played every console MG game going back to the original on the NES, and I don't ever recall spending a significant amount of time sitting around doing nothing but listening to audio clips. And yes, Big Boss is different than Solid Snake, but the Japanese release is still using the same voice actor. Kojima blew this one, plain and simple. As far as the dialog goes, you apparently missed my statement of just having come from playing The Last of Us. But, whatever, it is what it is.

Silly me then. I thought long time fans of the series, as in people that have played every game, were into the series and played for the sake of soaking up every little piece of dialog and audio to piece together the crazy convoluted story, I mean it's not like you have to listen to any of this stuff, most of it is optional and out of the way. You apparently play differently, or for different reasons. I didn't miss your statement about Last of Us, I just didn't get it's relevancy, I'm sure it is a bit jarring going from award winning dialog like Last of Us to the well known over the topness of Metal Gear, but the series has always been like that so I don't get the point behind addressing how ridiculous the dialog is in GZ.

Listening to the tapes was tedious even in Peacewalker. I wasn't too thrilled when I saw the cassette menu again, but I figured they had to be there to give context to the people who didn't play Peacewalker.

At least now, you can run around & do the mission while listening to the tapes.

Listening to the tapes was tedious even in Peacewalker. I wasn't too thrilled when I saw the cassette menu again, but I figured they had to be there to give context to the people who didn't play Peacewalker.

At least now, you can run around & do the mission while listening to the tapes.

This is true. Still annoyed me.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i plan to crawl everywhere in game but i'm crawling to open the shrink wrap. i'm going to open ff x/x-2 remake first.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Oh just open it up and play it, shouldn't take you too long to beat :lol: . It's a good game but has a few quirks that others have addressed here (just like every other MGS game).

To me Sutherland sounded like a generic hero rather than battle hardened veteran, maybe he will grow on me in PP.

I unlocked the Deja Vu mission, it's probably the easiest mission in the game. I managed to get an S rank on the 3rd attempt.

Apparently, there's a Gray Fox skin unlockable through hard mode.

The mission rating seems a little more forgiving than Peacewalker. The major penalties are on mission time. 20-25 minutes seems to be the limit for S rank. Getting detected & killing don't affect the ranking as long as you don't exceed 3 alerts & 6 kills. Retries are a no-no, they'll bust you down to B or C rank instantly. Getting the special requirement per mission is also a huge bonus.

The trials don't affect the rating at all, they're just filler.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Oh just open it up and play it, shouldn't take you too long to beat :lol: . It's a good game but has a few quirks that others have addressed here (just like every other MGS game).

To me Sutherland sounded like a generic hero rather than battle hardened veteran, maybe he will grow on me in PP.

opening it up now, got a day off...

• 1 month later...

That said, all of these tape recordings and diary entries are a major step in the wrong direction. I don't want to spend an hour or two sitting around listening to all of this crap.

This is my big problem with all MGS games.

I feel if they got rid of 'all this crap' the game itself would be much better.

It's like there are these brilliant bits of gameplay, and between them you're just sitting down watching a group of NPC talk to each other and it really takes me out of the game. I love the MGS games, just not the exposition parts which seem to get longer, and longer….