^^^Sweeps, terminate him!

galvatron-kills-scream-o_zps8ntg7tbd.gif

Dude that's worth a one week ban at least...

Edited by myk

I agree with Mommar. The AoS tie in at the beginning get was great. Perfect example of teamwork.

AoS: Coulson at the end of the episode calling out the Avengers after finding out Stricken had Loki's sceptre. A:AoU Avengers going after the sceptre.

Anime52k8: I liked this quicksilver better. He seemed more in tune with his comic book counterpart. Angry, quick to lash out, from a European country even if it's not Wundagore mountain.

My major gripe is that the special effects in this film were terrible. Pretty much every CG thing stood out as being CG and clashed with the live action footage. That intro scene was hard to watch, it was so obvious how much of it was fake.

I enjoyed this film. I think they did a great job developing the lesser characters, bringing supporting characters from the other avengers films, and introducing the new ones.

Nice twists too.

My favorite part of the movie was the Hulk vs Hulk Buster scenes for sure. Fantastic fights.

I thought it was kind of funny that they killed off Quicksilver. I was kind of hoping SOMEBODY would die with all the mortal danger flying around and no casualties. I guess they figured it's easier to kill him off than deal with the FOX limitations. Also, his character and the powers were pretty poorly developed. When they were protecting the island bomb from the mini-ultrons, why didn't QS just run around at top speed and become a giant lawnmower? A lot of the battle scenes were fairly unimaginative in that respect. I enjoyed the Banner/Natasha love thing. Didn't see it coming really. Kinda goofy but it works.

Vision was ok, but all he really did was burn out Ultron's modem. I wonder how he will continue to be a superhero without the mind stone.

My main problems with the film was this:

1. Ultron was too quip-y. He was basically Tony Stark with voice modulation, and a slightly darker sense of humor. I felt no real threat from him as he didn't really hurt anybody until he mowed down QS with a canon on an airplane?

Ultron to me is a murderous insane robot, not a slightly darker version of Iron Man. I think they really missed the tone with him, and they should have shown him kill a few people randomly to establish some sort of threat. At this point I fully expect Thanos to just break a few bones it's so PG-13.

2. The Hulk really did nothing in the main battle except save Natasha and leave. If you got a guy like the Hulk on your roaster you gotta utilize him. Why didn't we even get to see him go toe-to-toe with Ultron?

Edited by Gakken85

Great film with as much fun, action and character as the first Avengers movie. Another solid entry into the Marvel film canon.

They added a lot of characters in this sequel, yet managed to handle all of them very well. And speaking of characters, I really appreciate that Whedon gave Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye such a central role in this film. When Barton was wounded right at the beginning I really feared another film with Hawkeye sitting on the sidelines. I should not have lacked faith, cause he became so central to the themes of the film and ended up becoming an unexpected source of stability for his teammates. Plus had some brilliant lines :)

I really enjoyed the relationship between Black Widow and Banner. It's very believable and is developing organically. It is a super-opera (if that's a term), so it will be somewhat melodramatic and of course have a lot of ridiculous rough patches brought about by plot/super-powers/world-changing-circumstances. But it's fun and encouraging.

Hulk vs. Hulk-Buster Iron Man fight did not disappoint. So much fun stuff going on there, especially the fist pump attack, LOL!

I really like that Thor became so integral to the story in this second film. Especially liked how his hammer and powers played a really good narrative role, especially at the end with Vision. That is very smart writing; Vision lifiting THor's hammer was a way to really alleviate the legitimate fear and distrust the Avengers would have for Vision.

And wow, what a Vision...damn was it ever good to see Paul Bettany on screen! How many films have we been listening to Bettany voice Jarvis? It was such a great payoff to have him appear in the flesh. That costume and makeup design for the Vision is aweome! A great closing line at the end of the film too :)

Could go on and on with praise, but needless to say I loved the flick. Stinger at the end was amazing, as always :)

Couple of critcisms...

I can really feel there was some kind of political message going on with the whole civilian casualties thing. Throughout the entire film the script missed no opportunity to show the heroes concerned about the civilians and all the potential collateral damage that could happen from these massive super-powered battles. That HAS to be a direct reaction to the what I read last year about Whedon's reaction to the Man of Steel city-destroying casualties controversy. I must admit, I found it far too obvious and a little annoying, despite it being something I very much agree with. But I do appreciate the message and understand why it was so prominent.

The pace of the Avengers films have always been part of the fun, but this time I thought it worked against the film somewhat. There were several moments where I was asking myself how everyone got where they were, how they knew where to show up or even why they were there. The short side-story with Thor was also a little iffy and a bit too plot-convenient.

5 out of 5. A sequel film as clever, funny and action-packed as the first film with just as much heart and character. Another win for Marvel Studios and fans.

Edited by Mr March

Just came back from seeing it. I liked it,for the most part. Good acting, good dialog, all that. My gripe, though, is that I feel like too much of this movie was spent laying the groundwork for Civil War and Infinity War instead of just focusing on Ultron's story.

Well, that and the fact that Ultron looked more like Lockdown from the last Transformers movie than Ultron. I wish he'd had the eyes and the gaping, glowing mouth on more than just the drones.

Best part for me wasn't even in the movie. At one point when Thor flies off on his own, this kid, maybe 3 or 4, says, "Well there he goes again!" in a tone that implied he'd had enough of Thor flying off.

I enjoyed this film. I think they did a great job developing the lesser characters, bringing supporting characters from the other avengers films, and introducing the new ones.

Nice twists too.

2. The Hulk really did nothing in the main battle except save Natasha and leave. If you got a guy like the Hulk on your roaster you gotta utilize him. Why didn't we even get to see him go toe-to-toe with Ultron?

He got a few punches and scuffles on with the main Ultron if I remember correctly. Plus, he pretty much hopped into the jet, curb-stomped Ultron [offscreen], and tossed him out of the Avenger jet near the end

Regarding that big middle fight, poor "Veronica" got roughed up a bit.

But Stark's apologetic tone and "Crap, I'm just pissing Bruce off" realizations really helped to lift those Hulkbuster vs. Hulk scenes beyond the standard action fare.

I can really feel there was some kind of political message going on with the whole civilian casualties thing. Throughout the entire film the script missed no opportunity to show the heroes concerned about the civilians and all the potential collateral damage that could happen from these massive super-powered battles. That HAS to be a direct reaction to the what I read last year about Whedon's reaction to the Man of Steel city-destroying casualties controversy. I must admit, I found it far too obvious and a little annoying, despite it being something I very much agree with. But I do appreciate the message and understand why it was so prominent.

I was playfully thinking that someone writing AoU saw MacrossWorld arguing about the mass destruction brought about by both Man of Steel and the first Avengers movie a few years ago: some of us insisted that that both movies, and movies of this type in general showed little to no conscience about collateral destruction, other members persisted on the opposite. Regardless, I think you're absolutely correct, that somehow the writers of AoU felt compelled to install a conscience regarding all of the damage brought to civilians

And to touch on that thread argument all of those years ago, I was clearly RIGHT... ^_^

I was playfully thinking that someone writing AoU saw MacrossWorld arguing about the mass destruction brought about by both Man of Steel and the first Avengers movie a few years ago: some of us insisted that that both movies, and movies of this type in general showed little to no conscience about collateral destruction, other members persisted on the opposite. Regardless, I think you're absolutely correct, that somehow the writers of AoU felt compelled to install a conscience regarding all of the damage brought to civilians

And to touch on that thread argument all of those years ago, I was clearly RIGHT... ^_^

Oh, it is definitely a thing. Especially during Man of Steel's release, the film blog-o-sphere, twitter and the websites were all talking about it.

As I said, I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea nor unsympathetic to the senitment. It just felt REALLY obvious to the point of bludgeoning the audience.

Congratulations on winning your argument, LOL! :)

Thought it was okay, not the same impact as the first film which is always a problem with sequels. I almost went by myself till I told my mother that James Spader was Ultron and she shot right up and got her purse she's a big fan of him since she watches Blacklist religiously.

Bruce and Tony fight was good, funny moments and such. But I felt there were to many verbal shots of comedy between characters. Way to many.

Nice twists too.

My favorite part of the movie was the Hulk vs Hulk Buster scenes for sure. Fantastic fights.

I thought it was kind of funny that they killed off Quicksilver. I was kind of hoping SOMEBODY would die with all the mortal danger flying around and no casualties. I guess they figured it's easier to kill him off than deal with the FOX limitations. Also, his character and the powers were pretty poorly developed. When they were protecting the island bomb from the mini-ultrons, why didn't QS just run around at top speed and become a giant lawnmower? A lot of the battle scenes were fairly unimaginative in that respect. I enjoyed the Banner/Natasha love thing. Didn't see it coming really. Kinda goofy but it works.

Vision was ok, but all he really did was burn out Ultron's modem. I wonder how he will continue to be a superhero without the mind stone.

My main problems with the film was this:

1. Ultron was too quip-y. He was basically Tony Stark with voice modulation, and a slightly darker sense of humor. I felt no real threat from him as he didn't really hurt anybody until he mowed down QS with a canon on an airplane?

Ultron to me is a murderous insane robot, not a slightly darker version of Iron Man. I think they really missed the tone with him, and they should have shown him kill a few people randomly to establish some sort of threat. At this point I fully expect Thanos to just break a few bones it's so PG-13.

I have a theory about The Vision. In the comic books VIsion and Scarlet Witch end up married. If you didn't notice, that scene where Vision snatches Witch up as the island crumbles he's not just holding her, it's more of an embrace. I think that was a hint about the two of them. I wouldn't be surprised if the next time we see them they're either already a couple or we'll get Banner/Widow part 2 introduction. Anyway, at some point in the comics some entities dismantle Vision and Hank Pym eventually puts him back together, but he's unable to map his emotions back into the body. So Vision turns completely white and looses all of his ability to understand emotion. Think Data before the emotion chip, all logic and nothing else. I'd bet when Thanos swipes the Mind Gem they'll pull something like that... or just shut him down.

Went last night and saw this in non 3D. Thank goodness for that. All the action scenes are very fast and just really hard to watch even in 2D. Reminded me a lot of the transformers movies. Couldn't even tell what has happening at some points. Aside from that, the CG stuff was kinda crappy IMHO. Other than that, I really liked the movie itself. Better than the first I spose, or at least as good. The one thing I really missed was Tom Hiddleston. He really owns the Loki character, and brings a lot to the bad guy role. Spader was good as Ultron, and I enjoyed the twins. The mind control girl is freaking hot. And awesome.

I saw it last night in 3D and dozed off into the last third. I'll try to catch it again this week.

The actress that plays Scarlett witch is also in the Godzilla film. Definitely an enjoyable film.

Mommar I agree with your speculation about the Scarlett witch and you know who.

I saw it last night in 3D and dozed off into the last third. I'll try to catch it again this week.

The actress that plays Scarlett witch is also in the Godzilla film. Definitely an enjoyable film.

Mommar I agree with your speculation about the Scarlett witch and you know who.

I dozed off in the first movie at the same spot. I haven't seen AoU yet but let me guess: the last act is replete with an assault on the senses with blinding, deafening CGI moments where a massive army with anonymous soldiers is turned back JUST in the nick of time?

The actress that plays Scarlett witch is also in the Godzilla film. Definitely an enjoyable film

So was the guy who played her brother and was her husband in Godzilla. Aaron whatever it's a long name.

Yes, Aaron Taylor. Her name is Elizabeth Olsen.

MYK your assessment is correct. I dozed off around the scene when Thor goes to off do something about his visions.

I dozed off in the first movie at the same spot. I haven't seen AoU yet but let me guess: the last act is replete with an assault on the senses with blinding, deafening CGI moments where a massive army with anonymous soldiers is turned back JUST in the nick of time?

Actually, not quite. The nick of time moment is almost a reversal of the typical action trope.

can someone explain why the HULK went emo at the end of the movie?

Did you miss every interaction between Banner and Natasha the entire movie? He's worried about hurting people. Made worse by the forced rampage in Africa.

Did you miss every interaction between Banner and Natasha the entire movie? He's worried about hurting people. Made worse by the forced rampage in Africa.

Compounded by the fact that he'd just started opening up to BW through their connection and trusting her, when she forced him to become the Hulk. Not cool, Nat...

They kind of screwed that up. Is he smart Hulk or is he Rage Hulk? IN the first movie he is Rage hulk, and nothing changed in the meantime that we know of.

Yet.. he's flying planes, taking orders, and being a team player. Like.. why do you need

Natasha to calm him down if he takes orders and seems pretty rational anyway...

I think they dropped the ball on the HULK this film... which is sad because they nailed it in the last one.

As to the Africa throw down - he was Hexed by the witch, so he should be smart enough to realize it was a one time event. It was raged fueled by terror visions.

I have a theory about The Vision. In the comic books VIsion and Scarlet Witch end up married. If you didn't notice, that scene where Vision snatches Witch up as the island crumbles he's not just holding her, it's more of an embrace. I think that was a hint about the two of them. I wouldn't be surprised if the next time we see them they're either already a couple or we'll get Banner/Widow part 2 introduction. Anyway, at some point in the comics some entities dismantle Vision and Hank Pym eventually puts him back together, but he's unable to map his emotions back into the body. So Vision turns completely white and looses all of his ability to understand emotion. Think Data before the emotion chip, all logic and nothing else. I'd bet when Thanos swipes the Mind Gem they'll pull something like that... or just shut him down.

Yes, I read West Coast Avengers back in the day. Haha.

Vision loving Wanda is fine. My biggest gripe with that is, what are the Visions powers? They didn't really define Wanda's or Quick Silvers either. Fast guy. Red energy lady? She could hex people... but they didn't really explain anything.

Edited by Gakken85

Have Wanda's powers EVER been explained well? She does whatever the comic/movie/TV plot requires, so long as it's not blatantly someone else's power, like shapeshifting or pyrokinesis. "Weird stuff" is about as good an explanation as I've ever heard.

They kind of screwed that up. Is he smart Hulk or is he Rage Hulk? IN the first movie he is Rage hulk, and nothing changed in the meantime that we know of.

Yet.. he's flying planes, taking orders, and being a team player. Like.. why do you need

Natasha to calm him down if he takes orders and seems pretty rational anyway...

I think they dropped the ball on the HULK this film... which is sad because they nailed it in the last one.

As to the Africa throw down - he was Hexed by the witch, so he should be smart enough to realize it was a one time event. It was raged fueled by terror visions.

Yes, I read West Coast Avengers back in the day. Haha.

Vision loving Wanda is fine. My biggest gripe with that is, what are the Visions powers? They didn't really define Wanda's or Quick Silvers either. Fast guy. Red energy lady? She could hex people... but they didn't really explain anything.

He's movie Hulk. At the end of the first movie Banner willingly turned into Hulk and Hulk took instructions from Cap, if basic. And they established that they had been trying things to calm Hulk down, so there's precedence that they figured out a way to get him to be more docile and controlled.

Nah, Africa just showed him he's dangerous if unchecked and he freely admitted the entire movie that he was constantly in fear of keeping in check.

They visibly demonstrated Visions powers. Flight, he can shoot blasts from the gem in his forehead and between sticking his hand through many ULtronbot chests (which he does to EVERYONE in the comics) and the fact he manipulated his own clothes in front of everyone it's pretty clear he can control his molecular structure just like in the comics. Besides, for the purposes of the movie it isn't really that important. Maria Hill explicitly told Cap during their briefing exactly what Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch are capable of. Scarlett Witch is more like Jean Grey as the Phoenix in these movies.

Have Wanda's powers EVER been explained well? She does whatever the comic/movie/TV plot requires, so long as it's not blatantly someone else's power, like shapeshifting or pyrokinesis. "Weird stuff" is about as good an explanation as I've ever heard.

Yes, they affect "Probability." It's a stupid idea, it means anything you can think of she can make happen by turning up the likelihood it will happen.

I know that explanation (aka "bad luck/curses"), but even that doesn't seem to explain much (especially not any offensive/defensive energy shields/blasts she ever does---"hex bolts" etc)---and certainly had almost zero correlation to the movie version. She basically was Scarecrow, but without needing gases/chemicals to do it.

I know that explanation (aka "bad luck/curses"), but even that doesn't seem to explain much (especially not any offensive/defensive energy shields/blasts she ever does---"hex bolts" etc)---and certainly had almost zero correlation to the movie version. She basically was Scarecrow, but without needing gases/chemicals to do it.

It's not bad luck or curses, it's literally dialing a 0.0000000000001% chance up to 99.999999999999999999%

And as I said, it was explained by Maria Hill exactly what her powers are. Essentially a form of cognitive disruption and telekinesis.

During the end credits, it mentions the robot from "Laputa". Where was it featured?

I wondered that, too! My bet is on a TV somewhere, or in the "data stream" visuals.

Maria Hill explicitly told Cap during their briefing exactly what Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch are capable of. Scarlett Witch is more like Jean Grey as the Phoenix in these movies.

"He's fast and she's weird."

Yes, they affect "Probability." It's a stupid idea, it means anything you can think of she can make happen by turning up the likelihood it will happen.

Like, say, turning a couple Hydra missiles into a bowl of petunias and a sperm whale.