1/32nd ish scale bad guy model kit

mslz22

Continued from "It Lives" over at the model forum.

I am calling this 1/32nd but in reality it's a bit larger, like so much of this stuff I felt as though these were depicted larger in the show than the "official" stats indicate. I watched a few key sequences along with some of the art (like the invasion art from ep 1 fighting the tanks) and felt that this is within the margin of error, coming in slightly taller than 1/2 the size of a soldier mode beast. I know that will not gel with everyone but i always feel that the enemy stuff needs to be intimidating, and adding a little size helps with that.

I got inspired to rush this thru ahead of a couple of other things, 1 reason is in anticipation of the last installment and the fact that last week was a steambath here weather wise, tried casting, no good, tried painting, no good, so tried my luck at some scratchbuilding. Still have a few odds and ends to take care of but really this is almost ready for molds, i want at least 3 for myself and may offer up a few if you guys who have the Capts beast and may want one.

I am can tell you that this is stylized quite a bit, ref on this is hard to come by, at least consistent ref. Also it's a mash up of a few of my favorite views, little from column a, little from b. I've been thru 3 versions of how the body transitions into the eye at the front and i am still not sure if i am sold on it, may still mod that a bit. I have 2 options for the eye, one as just the ball and the other with a smaller ball and the shroud around the eye, the close up of the eye and the way it appears on the wide view tend to look quite different. Shoulder cannon is almost done but not in pic.

thanks

mike

UPDATED pics, fixed the eye area and the chin, much happier with this....

Thanks

mike

012-7.jpg

Thanks, there is a lot of this....

invasion.jpg

in what i am trying to get at with this one.

I can say that I've got a real feel for the mech in getting it this far, there really does seem to be a few different ways that it is illustrated thru the different mediums, art, show, models etc.

I am partially using this 1/32nd as a trial run in some ways, I really would like to get a chance to scratch a 1/12 one to go with the old ride armour kits........maybe someday.

mike

Edited by mslz22

Thanks, there is a lot of this....

invasion.jpg

in what i am trying to get at with this one.

I can say that I've got a real feel for the mech in getting it this far, there really does seem to be a few different ways that it is illustrated thru the different mediums, art, show, models etc.

I am partially using this 1/32nd as a trial run in some ways, I really would like to get a chance to scratch a 1/12 one to go with the old ride armour kits........maybe someday.

mike

I've always wanted to know who has that original painting and if I could ever get my hands on it.

It better be framed and well lit in a primo place on some collector's wall somewhere...

Holy $hit, are you kidding me?!?!?! I've been asking this question since the beginning of time "Where are the baddies for Mospeada?" Effin't awesome man, can't wait to see the finished product!

Awesome, count me interested if you do these in 1/32!

mike

They were made for the 1/55 toynamis. I definitely have to put all the details I wanted to for 1/32. I'd redo the female models also.

post-151-0-55961100-1345502972_thumb.jpgpost-151-0-67008800-1345502974_thumb.jpgpost-151-0-92825400-1345502975_thumb.jpgpost-151-0-98777200-1345502976_thumb.jpgpost-151-0-39019200-1345502978_thumb.jpg

And another awesome start here.......you 3D guys amaze me...

mike

great minds think alike.... although I was going to do them in a different scale... and this was just screwing around while I was traveling

post-7782-0-75970100-1345503318_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-70413000-1345503347_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-26351500-1345503355_thumb.jpg

First test shot casting right out of the molds, no trimming or anything. This is for the standard fighter, sans cannons. I think because if the size of the cannons I will offer a version with and without them, the version with the cannons being a few bucks more to cover the extra material. It will be at least a week or so before i can finish up the cannons so i may just build this one as the standard one and build a 2nd and 3rd one with the cannons later.

thanks

mike

009-9.jpg

Looks outstanding!

If you're looking for any feedback at this point, and you might not be - the shoulders look a little long, and the forearms and claws / nails look about 20% too big. Maybe elbow section a bit long too? Ball joint need to go up farther into shoulder?

I'm curious if I cut off both the arms and reduced them 20% and added them back on what that would look like.

Won't try it though unless you want me to.

But who am I to nit-pick??! Looks great.

When you look at these things you've done - are you amazed?

Not many people can do anything remotely like this...

I think it's the mid arm that's making the arms look a bit too long, they are not fully engaged in the socket for one in the pic, but they can be easily be modded to cradle into the forearm and shoulder with little effort. Part of it was leaving enough room for pose-ability. I made the claws on the feet and the hands a bit over sized on purpose, I wanted this thing to look like it could really tear into you if it wanted too. Again to shorten those would be a fairly easy mod.

I'm digging the added length. It makes the whole design more feasible. With the added length in the arms it actually looks like it could reach out and attack something at a distance. The old Matchbox one didn't have that. It couldn't scratch it's own nose nor attack at range without using it's cannons.