Three Decades of Macross Music in Podcasts

VF5SS

I got the hint that Gubaba wanted me to post the fruits of our labor on the forum. We did three podcasts about the three decades of Macross music.

http://collectiondx.com/blog/vf5ss/veef_show_episode_47_macross_music_2000039s

This blog post has links to all three.

Gubaba is a really smart guy and lays down a lot of knowledge so please enjoy.

Some of them got a little long so we split them into multiple parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Reposted from the wrong thread:

Cool stuff as always: it's lots of fun to see how the media franchise has grown and changed over the decades, as well as the sheer *breadth* of marketing for Macross.

--Macross Zero was one of those things that you enjoy while you're watching it, and then just don't have much to say about it. What I remember the most are the beautiful underwater backgrounds.

--As for myself, I really *wanted* to like Frontier, but somehow I ended up forgetting most of it. I want to rewatch it in the near future, since I really got into the movies, so I figured I'll give MF another shot soon.

--I really don't get the impression that Kawamori was deliberately trying to subvert viewer expectations with events in <i>Macross Frontier</i>, just that he happened to produce something that seemed that way. Most creators of fiction have better things to do than "troll" an audience. It's like when people assume Gurren Lagann was deliberately concieved to be an atidote to Evangelion, instead of just the creators making what they wanted to.

--I'm surprised more women prefer Ranka, because I'm a chica who prefers Sheryl and finds Ranka a little bit irritating. You could come up with reasons for either gender to prefer either character, though.

--I had absolutely no idea <i>Macross 7</i> was supposed to have a Mylene/Basara/Gamlin love triangle. I honestly did not pick up on that, especially since Basara was rocking that "shounen hero beyond sex" thing.

--When it comes to shipping, well, I just think it's aggravating if people get crazy obsessive over it, but the fact that it happens isn't surprising or weird especially the mild, "Will these characters whose relationship was a part of the official material get together or not?" version of shipping.

--Speaking for myself, my very mild problem with "Universal Bunny" was the way Sheryl's stage performance suggested a virgin/whore split with her personas, though it's probably more the character playing to the crowd rather than expressing her view of herself. I've never thought of the character as truly self-centered, just that she's in control of herself.

--The first time I started getting interested in "Wings of Farewell" when first hearing about Sheryl and Ranka's concert sequences earlier in the film. The costumes and art design looked amazing.

--I thought "Bromance" was a way of saying "these guys are close, but it's totally not gay".

--When it comes to the ending of Wings of Farewell I went with the same assumption I did at the end of the <i>Saint Seiya</i> manga: You don't *actually* know that the main characters made it through okay, but you just assume they did, based on the hints and the tone of the story, so you don't have to see everything.

--"The Musiculture" sounds like something to see; no matter what the quality it's going to be a must-see for the sheer weird novelty of it. Having a completely new story and cast also increases the draw. I wouldn't miss the Valks, and also thought it was neat that one character has the last name "Dosel", though we're probably gonig to get nothing on whether or not she's Vanessa and Rori's granddaughter.

Reposted from the wrong thread:

Cool stuff as always: it's lots of fun to see how the media franchise has grown and changed over the decades, as well as the sheer *breadth* of marketing for Macross.

The amount of CDs alone is...daunting, to say the least.

--Macross Zero was one of those things that you enjoy while you're watching it, and then just don't have much to say about it. What I remember the most are the beautiful underwater backgrounds.

Hey, at least it's not floating rocks, which is what everyone else seems to remember about it. As we said, I think the music was serviceable, but not much more.

--As for myself, I really *wanted* to like Frontier, but somehow I ended up forgetting most of it. I want to rewatch it in the near future, since I really got into the movies, so I figured I'll give MF another shot soon.

--I really don't get the impression that Kawamori was deliberately trying to subvert viewer expectations with events in <i>Macross Frontier</i>, just that he happened to produce something that seemed that way. Most creators of fiction have better things to do than "troll" an audience. It's like when people assume Gurren Lagann was deliberately concieved to be an atidote to Evangelion, instead of just the creators making what they wanted to.

I think yes and no... for the love triangle and the ending? No. For the death flags around Ozma, yes. I'm absolutely certain that Yoshino was trolling us with that.

--I'm surprised more women prefer Ranka, because I'm a chica who prefers Sheryl and finds Ranka a little bit irritating. You could come up with reasons for either gender to prefer either character, though.

I should qualify that. More JAPANESE women THAT I'VE TALKED TO prefer Ranka. As I believe I said in the podcast, it seems like most short women prefer Ranka. More tall women prefer Sheryl.

--I had absolutely no idea <i>Macross 7</i> was supposed to have a Mylene/Basara/Gamlin love triangle. I honestly did not pick up on that, especially since Basara was rocking that "shounen hero beyond sex" thing.

I know, right? But seriously... that was supposed to be the main love triangle. Go figure.

--Speaking for myself, my very mild problem with "Universal Bunny" was the way Sheryl's stage performance suggested a virgin/whore split with her personas, though it's probably more the character playing to the crowd rather than expressing her view of herself. I've never thought of the character as truly self-centered, just that she's in control of herself.

I suppose you could say the same thing about Sharon Apple's projected image. Of course, Sheryl's a GOOD guy...

--When it comes to the ending of Wings of Farewell I went with the same assumption I did at the end of the <i>Saint Seiya</i> manga: You don't *actually* know that the main characters made it through okay, but you just assume they did, based on the hints and the tone of the story, so you don't have to see everything.

And I'm pretty sure that Seiya died at the end, so what do I know? Anyway, Aya Endo recently floated the theory that Sheryl might stay in the coma forever, so who knows?

--"The Musiculture" sounds like something to see; no matter what the quality it's going to be a must-see for the sheer weird novelty of it. Having a completely new story and cast also increases the draw. I wouldn't miss the Valks, and also thought it was neat that one character has the last name "Dosel", though we're probably gonig to get nothing on whether or not she's Vanessa and Rori's granddaughter.

I doubt they dug that deep into continuity... probably just picked a Zentradi surname out of a hat. As for being "something to see," we'll let you know in a few months...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I registered to thank you guys for summarizing the Re:FIRE!! booklet on the characters. Up till now I could only find info on Basara, so really, thanks! The rest of the show was fun to listen to, I'm going backwards so I'll be listening to the 1990's next.

On the musical question, I really hope it gets a BD release. Yep, The Sailor Moon musicals got VHS and DVD releases, not just the shows but some of the special fan events, most of them have fansubs by now. But these ran for 12 years and around 800 performances, so I'm not sure if a show that will only be on stage for a week will get the BD treatment. I hope it will. No matter how silly it might turn out to be, I'll buy it. Specialy since I have no way to go see it live.