Saw the trailer yesterday and I'll tell ya other than seeing that transport plane getting shot down over the neighborhood, this is one more reason why re-makes are lame, the cast looks really annoying.

Also if I read correctly the enemy was originally the Chinese Army and now they've used CGI to remake the banners and enemy the North Koreans.... No balls at all when in the original the enemy was the Soviet Union and the thought of a nuclear war between us was very & frighteningly real.

Saw the trailer. Looks like it's going to be absolute garbage. Such a film simply no longer has any relevance, as one review puts it: "Not just because the forthcoming film portrays a North Korean invasion of America, but because the world and America's place in it have changed so dramatically since the original cult classic."

Patrick Swayze's Ghost called; he said: get off his nutsack. <_<

Now the original was laden with over-the-top stoicism and melodrama, true enough. But it looks like it's going to be f'ing Shakespeaean in comparison. I always thought John Milius did a great job making the action/combat scenes very realistic (for the day). Well, except Robert's last stand against that Russkie gunship; chees-y!

Saw the trailer. Looks like it's going to be absolute garbage. Such a film simply no longer has any relevance, as one review puts it: "Not just because the forthcoming film portrays a North Korean invasion of America, but because the world and America's place in it have changed so dramatically since the original cult classic."

Patrick Swayze's Ghost called; he said: get off his nutsack. <_<

Now the original was laden with over-the-top stoicism and melodrama, true enough. But it looks like it's going to be f'ing Shakespeaean in comparison. I always thought John Milius did a great job making the action/combat scenes very realistic (for the day). Well, except Robert's last stand against that Russkie gunship; chees-y!

Ah...I still agree with Siskel and Ebert. If it had been "realistic," the kids would've been all killed in ten minutes, and the movie would've been a short subject.

I put American kids over a few foreign militarys. I don't think Siskel and Ebert know what's realistic when it comes to combat.

Perhaps they've also forgotten about Vietnam...

That said, this remake movie is likely to be terrible. Besides, who the heck wants to watch a movie like this today? North Koreans invade the United States? Yeah right! It wouldn't even work if the bad guys were China.

The original movie worked because of the era it was made in. Today's geo-political setting just doesn't work.

That is being unfair, the original was also a steaming pile of garbage that made no sense.

But there was still enough belief that the USSR had a military that equaled the US, or that the general public never really knew how weak or strong they were. It never made it that much more viable but there was enough to stretch believability. I mean by now we all know that the best way to invade the US is to buy the land cheap. lol. Oh well, can't really discuss it further without getting too political. Let's face it though, North Korea is probably the last country left that Hollywood doesn't mind offending, given their Box Office draw is a big fat zip compared to China, which has a giant movie going population. It's like how they switched China to Australia in Total Recall.

I believe this was shot before he had Thor and Huntsman booked.

So yes this was shot back in like 2009 or 2010 or so and has been on the shelf for this long. So that says something about a film the studio was so unsure about they shelved it for years until there was a star in it, who became one AFTER he shot it, and then decided to release it.

I don't think politics and fear of offending China was the reason, but rather the fear of not making any cash off the markets in the Sino-sphere was the predominant driver here! And by that I mean not just mainland China, but Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc.

In the future, I think movies should just come as pre-packaged with random crappy CG's, and scenes with actors just moving their mouths, and then each market can repurpose and rearrange the elements however they want!

So yes this was shot back in like 2009 or 2010 or so and has been on the shelf for this long. So that says something about a film the studio was so unsure about they shelved it for years until there was a star in it, who became one AFTER he shot it, and then decided to release it.

Yeah, it says that MGM studios filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and put all of their film projects on hold for over a year during restructuring.

Perhaps they've also forgotten about Vietnam...

That said, this remake movie is likely to be terrible. Besides, who the heck wants to watch a movie like this today? North Koreans invade the United States? Yeah right! It wouldn't even work if the bad guys were China.

The original movie worked because of the era it was made in. Today's geo-political setting just doesn't work.

Thinking about it, if this movie ends the way the original did all they have to do is remove the shot of the memorial and its going to become the national movie of North Korea! @_@

Ah...I still agree with Siskel and Ebert. If it had been "realistic," the kids would've been all killed in ten minutes, and the movie would've been a short subject.

"Be a Wolverine, you'll rule the hills.

just get some guns and Cheerios"

In order to keep the movie politically friendly for all of our global friends, the villain should have been a giant Spagetti and Marinara Monster that attacked the West Coast at dawn, hence the title Red Dawn. The monster represents oppression, and the Wolverines fight for freedom. Then they eat the spagetti.

In order to keep the movie politically friendly for all of our global friends, the villain should have been a giant Spagetti and Marinara Monster that attacked the West Coast at dawn, hence the title Red Dawn. The monster represents oppression, and the Wolverines fight for freedom. Then they eat the spagetti.

That is so unbelievably offensive and racially insensitive towards people of Italian decent; you should be ashamed of yourself.

They did that already, it's called Cloudy With a Side of Meatballs.

But there was still enough belief that the USSR had a military that equaled the US, or that the general public never really knew how weak or strong they were. It never made it that much more viable but there was enough to stretch believability. I mean by now we all know that the best way to invade the US is to buy the land cheap. lol. Oh well, can't really discuss it further without getting too political. Let's face it though, North Korea is probably the last country left that Hollywood doesn't mind offending, given their Box Office draw is a big fat zip compared to China, which has a giant movie going population. It's like how they switched China to Australia in Total Recall.

The other thing to consider in the original RD is that ALOT of domino's had fallen in the stories geopolitical landscape that led to the Soviet invasion.(NATO crumbling) Some of the events that led up to the invasion weren't far out of the realm of possibility either in the real world.

Sorry for getting political.

The whole North Korea invading like its Modern Warfare 2 blew my mind alittle at just how corny it was.

Edited by Shadow

No, the original was a steaming pile of disbelief as well. I think the era of big global wars may be a thing of the past in our near futures. Most countries can't afftord to spend the riduculous amounts of money that it takes to finance an large enough military to invade and occupy another country. The Europeans have figured this out, and we Americans are too gonna learn this the hard way. Besides, most countries populations don't have the stomachs for never ending wars. The poiticians would be thrown out of office for such endeavours.

North Korea can't even invade it's own neighbors let alone another country half an ocean away. I swear, the producers of both of these films shouldv'e been shown a map. Talk about suspension of disbelief.

Its official, every bad movie that has ever been made is slated to be remade. I'm now waiting for the remake of Kill and Kill Again.

Edited by Golden Arms

North Korea can't even invade it's own neighbors let alone another country half an ocean away.

Now you've gone political.

North Korea does have the power to invade it's neighbours, but it doesn't, 'cuz two of them are allies, and those allies pressure NK to not invade it's remaining neighbour.

Nonetheless, it regularly lobs missiles over it's neighbours and *apparently* has the capabilities to put nukes on those. Even without nukes or malicious intent, the chance of having a falling rocket part land on you is still alarming.

Apparently they also have a 9.5 million person strong army... compared to the US's apparent 2.9 million army, you can kinda see the Hollywood producer's logic behind casting NK as the villain (actual long range transport capabilities be damned).

North Korea does have the power to invade it's neighbours, but it doesn't, 'cuz two of them are allies, and those allies pressure NK to not invade it's remaining neighbour.

Nonetheless, it regularly lobs missiles over it's neighbours and *apparently* has the capabilities to put nukes on those. Even without nukes or malicious intent, the chance of having a falling rocket part land on you is still alarming.

Apparently they also have a 9.5 million person strong army... compared to the US's apparent 2.9 million army, you can kinda see the Hollywood producer's logic behind casting NK as the villain (actual long range transport capabilities be damned).

It doesn't matter how large of a standing army you have, you still gotta transport, feed, and house those troops millions of miles away. Which the North Koreans can't do. Besides wars on fought with troops alone. You also to have the industrial infrasture to maintain a long range war. That means every bullet, boot, tank, ration, rifle has to be manufactured. Last time I checked, North Korea was reliant on foreign intervention to feed their own people.

I concede that they could invade their neighbors, but they can't and wouldn't because the pressure from their allies wouldn't allow them. Not to mention how overly reliant they are on them as well. That has been one of the good things of the global economy. We are more or less dependant upon each other. The politicians all know this, but alot of them talk in this overly patrotic us vs them mumbo jumbo, which serves no one but themselves.

Sorry to get off topic, but this was way too much in the realm of impossibility concerning the films protagonist to ignore.

Edited by Golden Arms

that doesn't give you permission to make it more political.

Sorry to get off topic, but this was way too much in the realm of impossibility concerning the films protagonist to ignore.

You too. Next time you guys do that on purpose, it's time out.

I didn't even consider your original statement as political, more in context to buyability.

Next time.

My point is not even about the invasion of the US itself (in the original). It was that a bunch of kids could take on Russian Spetznaz (at one point) is laughable at best, jingoistic nonsense at worst.

The original did have one thing going for it, the Hinds they mocked up looked great, and the RPGs actually had a missile trail (OK, two things)

Saw the trailer yesterday and I'll tell ya other than seeing that transport plane getting shot down over the neighborhood, this is one more reason why re-makes are lame, the cast looks really annoying.

Also if I read correctly the enemy was originally the Chinese Army and now they've used CGI to remake the banners and enemy the North Koreans.... No balls at all when in the original the enemy was the Soviet Union and the thought of a nuclear war between us was very & frighteningly real.

Soviets and Cubans. Although I don't see why the Cubans would be involved in an invasion, because after we kicked both them and the borscht-eaters out, we'd go balls-out on Cuba, commiting militaricide going all the way to Castro for payback. If the Soviets didn't like that, well f*ck 'em.

I don't see a remake of Grand Theft Auto's war documentary movie going far in this day and age.

Edited by Wanzerfan

My point is not even about the invasion of the US itself (in the original). It was that a bunch of kids could take on Russian Spetznaz (at one point) is laughable at best, jingoistic nonsense at worst.

The original did have one thing going for it, the Hinds they mocked up looked great, and the RPGs actually had a missile trail (OK, two things)

Out of curiousity, what actual helo's did they use to construct those Hind's? They were modeled after the Hind-A I know that much. Read also that the T-72 they designed looked so authentic that during filming, they had the FBI following them while transporting it.

Yeah, that isnt usually done with a block buster

Out of curiousity, what actual helo's did they use to construct those Hind's? They were modeled after the Hind-A I know that much. Read also that the T-72 they designed looked so authentic that during filming, they had the FBI following them while transporting it.

I always figured the most likely airframe used was a Vietnam-era Sikorsky design: HH-3. Likewise for the "Russian" chopper used in the 2nd Rambo film?

HH-3F_Pelican_from_Coast_Guard_Air_Station_San_Francisco.jpg

Oops--I stand corrected. From IMDB:

"The Soviet Mi-24 Hind helicopters featured in this film are modified Sud-Aviation SA 330 Pumas fitted with bolt-on wings like the actual Hind helicopters. Similarly-modified Pumas also appeared as Soviet Hind helicopters in Rambo: First Blood Part II and Rambo III."

http://en.wikipedia....ale_SA_330_Puma

Hollywood seemed to like sourcing French airframes for their movies during the 80's. IIRC, the choppers used for Blue Thunder were Gazelles, from the same company? Unique enough to have a distinctly foreign appearance, but accessbile enough through friendly relations with France?

Edited by reddsun1

A member was banned for good because he continuously ignored warning about the no politics rule and for using derogatory terms. You can use politics when it's within context of the movie, but don't use the movie to discuss politics outside it's realm.