NBC's Revolution

the discovery channel has a show about mega natural disasters and one of the episodes is about a massive solar storm that fries all the electronics. If the storm were big enough then all the transformers would blow and if that happened, it would take years, if not decades to restore power on a global scale because there's only a few factories that produce them and you would need thousands of them.

It's not a stretch to say that during the black out phase that governments fell and anarchy and tribalism took over.

I just happen to be watching this right now. It's How the Universe Works on Science.

There were definitely aliens, though they were friendly for the most part:

2012-mascot.jpg

Two giant "one eyed" monsters in front of a rainbow. I am already fearful.

lol, well... if you're gonna poop all over a show because of questionable physics... stay away from star trek, star wars, x-men, avengers, batman, superman, ET, you know, any work of fiction in the past 6000 years or so.

In Star Wars and BSG, they couldn't teleport matter so we can't enjoy Star Trek or Blake's 7? Different universes, different times, and different technologies.

None of those examples are the same genre as Revolution,near time post-apocalyptic, need to keep it to Escape of New York/LA, Walking Dead, I am Legend, Omega Man, Postman, Water World,...... Zardoz. ;)

when does this air?

Monday, September 17, 2012, at 10 pm

Edited by Fly4victory

As awful as Stirlings Dies the Fire series is, at least he gets the fact that modern technology suddenly failing will result in the deaths of billions. Seriously, go back and watch James Burke's wonderfully awesome Connections series from the 70s to get an idea of just how dependent on high tech we are to stay alive. For instance, most modern cities only have a couple of days worth of food stocks for their population, so if the transportation system goes down, it's mass starvation. The promos for this series that basically say that everyone would just quietly revert to a laid-back, rustic lifestyle once the power goes out is offensively stupid.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched this last night. No spoilers... yet.

PROS

Interesting premise

Miles seems a character I want to know more about

Kick ass chicks

Death never seems that far away

The writers like to surprise us

Some of the sets looked good

CONS

Some of the sets looked cheap

The direction (ie flashbacks) seemed a little odd, which considering John Favreu was directing....

I was hoping for a slightly grittier future, there seems like a lot of hair product still available!

Apart from Charlie, there seemed little transition in ages between 15 years and now

All in all I was a little underwhelmed - I was hoping for more of something. Perhaps my standards are too high now after awesome series like Breaking Bad and Spartacus. However I think it shows promise so I look forward to the next episode.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw this... yeah it wasn't that great. The story was really generic. I know there's a chance that they'll flesh it out more later but this on it's own looks like another "string you along" series. And the previous comments are right but you're still kinda jarred by how neat things are. The main girl's leather jacket looks like it just got cleaned, maybe someone found it at an abandoned department store, in that case everyone is looting almost on a daily basis. And everyone is so well groomed. The one thing I noticed was that when the guy hit the random bad guy with rebar, the rebar was a bare rubber prop. They didn't even bother painting it to age. The whole thing was disturbingly cheap looking even though they spent a lot of money on the CG backgrounds.

I have to say I enjoyed this show. Not perfect, not ZOMG must tell everyone, but it was more entertainment then I ever got out of BSG.

... I'm gonna get hit, aren't I?

@CoryHolmes, More like a heavy dose of Taekwondo for giving this show more props than BSG, even for its minor flaws that show was a epic journey.

@EXO, the previews pretty much told me what this show was going to be like and your comments simply sum it up.

Edited by 505thAirborne

@CoryHolmes, More like a heavy dose of Taekwondo for giving this show more props than BSG, even for its minor flaws that show was a epic journey.

Would it please the court if I were to point out that I didn't give it "more props" per se. I just said that I enjoyed it more than BSG...

The deafening silence is answer enough... *flees*

Would it please the court if I were to point out that I didn't give it "more props" per se. I just said that I enjoyed it more than BSG...

The deafening silence is answer enough... *flees*

We're all entitled to our opinions and I quote you " ... I'm gonna get hit, aren't I?" My comment was my way of saying yes. To find this show more entertaining that BSG blows my mind for a second, but hell watch what you like and enjoy it. For me I'll chill with my bottle of Pacifico and break out a fresh canvas to paint something inspiring. B))

After watching the first episode, I have to wonder if the woman who helped Danny after his asthma attack deliberatly gave him up to Monroe's soldiers. This way they wouldn't search her house mroe thouroughly and discover her working computer.

Between that, and the fact that Monroe's personal guards still have modern firearms while the rest of the world has devolved to flintlocks and swords makes for a rather interesting setting.

Felt like a cheapo SyFy show. Really disliked it. Shocked that Favreu was the director. He is moving in the wrong direction.

My thoughts exactly. The acting was terrible and they failed to instill a sense of awe and terror into what had happened to the world. I was expecting something along the lines of Mad Max or I am Legend or maybe even Escape from NY, instead I felt like I was watching a fashionably sensible version of Survivor, or maybe a new reality show called Camp Ground Wars...

Edited by myk

My thoughts exactly. The acting was terrible and they failed to instill a sense of awe and terror into what had happened to the world. I was expecting something along the lines of Mad Max or I am Legend or maybe even Escape from NY, instead I felt like I was watching a fashionably sensible version of Survivor, or maybe a new reality show called Camp Ground Wars...

This is why we have games like Fallout (to explore a postapocalyptic world), and some of us watch old TV shows and old anime.

Truth is, I hardly watched any new TV programs (they seem to be look... boring), and didn't bother about watching what my sister's family leech off to watch.

Also, judging from the preview vid, the premise sounds too close to Jericho, which kind of gone nowhere after guessing too long as to who started what caused the collapse of America.

And... does The Postman -- THAT movie -- ring a bell?

Edited by soul.assassin

still not that impressed, but I have to say... Giancaro Esposito is kicking ass on all sorts of shows. Mostly Gus Fring on Breaking Bad. They also had one of my new favorites. David Meunier, Johnny Crowder from Justified. They really need to step it up for these awesome actors.

• 2 weeks later...

So a couple of Marines go AWOL because they are bored sitting in their barracks as opposed to helping maintain civil rule of law.

On their journey, they decide that chaos is too much so they start a militia to maintain order but will also bring about the fall of the US government.

The key family, this story follows is attacked with in days of the black-out by a business man.

Yet, all the while, an English doctor will walk from Seattle to the East Coast, travel the entire Atlantic Coast, and return to the Mid-West, alone, and without anything happening to her???

What a stupid story up to this point.

Simply put, there aren't any boats in Seattle.!!!!

• 2 weeks later...