NBC's Revolution

"Revolution takes place in a post-apocalyptic future. Fifteen years earlier, an unknown phenomenon permanently disabled all advanced technology"

Does anyone else want to think that the 'unknown' phenomenon is Snake using the Sword of Damocles at the end of Escape from LA?

Would have been a lot more plausible to use a barrage of super massive CMEs during a solar peak cycle to fry Earth technology and return most global civilizaton to the feudal/Steam Age.

Plausibility isn't JJ Abrahms strong suit; he benefits from a contemporary U.S. society that has little grip on causality/basic natural phenomena and scientific principle so his 'yuppie/hipster'-grade logic perseveres.

Will it be one of those futures where everyone knows kung fu?

Why not? In pre-industrial times, the martial arts - across every civilisation - was way more prevalent than now. Although 'everyone' is a rather long bow to draw!

The premise of the show makes absolutely no sense.

Every cop and soldier either ignored their duty or died at the hands of the militia then a decade and a half without power, so now that lawlessness is widespread... lets turn everything back on and all will be well.

I guess what makes me facepalm the most.. did electricity somehow get erased from existence? EMP type effects wiping out electronics, sure, but are they saying that nothing makes electricity anymore?

Like.. are we saying that physics have been re-written and you no longer get shocked from walking across carpet in socks? Or that turning a crank on a generator won't generate a charge? Or that even nature itself has been reformed, and thunderstorms don't exist anymore?

Seriously. And then somehow, someone has a working computer? <_<

I guess what makes me facepalm the most.. did electricity somehow get erased from existence? EMP type effects wiping out electronics, sure, but are they saying that nothing makes electricity anymore?

Like.. are we saying that physics have been re-written and you no longer get shocked from walking across carpet in socks? Or that turning a crank on a generator won't generate a charge? Or that even nature itself has been reformed, and thunderstorms don't exist anymore?

Seriously. And then somehow, someone has a working computer? <_<

Glad someone else can up with this because, yes, EMP won't kill everything.

Nah, they could be fake people you know... actually they'd have to be!

Since.. if electricity can't exist, then all life on earth would cease as we know it. You know, because neurons would stop firing, your synapses would fail.. hearts wouldn't be able to beat anymore..

the discovery channel has a show about mega natural disasters and one of the episodes is about a massive solar storm that fries all the electronics. If the storm were big enough then all the transformers would blow and if that happened, it would take years, if not decades to restore power on a global scale because there's only a few factories that produce them and you would need thousands of them.

It's not a stretch to say that during the black out phase that governments fell and anarchy and tribalism took over.

I dunno... I think it's funny that people who like a show that's about a pop song ending a space war featuring giant humanoid aliens that pilot giant eggs with chicken legs and planes that turn into robots find a show about a global perpetual blackout to be too high concept.

Edited by eugimon

If you think this premise is stupid wait till you see that movie were a rich guy “fights crime” dressed like a flying “rodent” or that one were some guy fights of impossible odds and saves the girl with his guns and witty comebacks. I’d run you the mathematical numbers saying you can’t survive such gunfights but you all probably know them too.

Considering that there were people scared shitless yesterday because the conspiracy gods said that a fake alien invasion/terrorist attack during the closing Olympic games would plunge the whole world into fascist lock down… well, that suddenly the world going blackout would push crazy people beyond crazy isn’t so far fetched.

the discovery channel has a show about mega natural disasters and one of the episodes is about a massive solar storm that fries all the electronics. If the storm were big enough then all the transformers would blow and if that happened, it would take years, if not decades to restore power on a global scale because there's only a few factories that produce them and you would need thousands of them.

It's not a stretch to say that during the black out phase that governments fell and anarchy and tribalism took over.

I dunno... I think it's funny that people who like a show that's about a pop song ending a space war featuring giant humanoid aliens that pilot giant eggs with chicken legs and planes that turn into robots find a show about a global perpetual blackout to be too high concept.

Macross was satirical from its concept and not intended to be a near future commentary on current society.

All works of science fiction, fantasy, and adventure require the audience to suspend disbelief in return for entertainment. The closer the work is to current events the less suspension will be allowed by the audience. Even those that enjoy the genre, in this case post apocalyptic, will not always accept the premise of the storyline.

As posted before, this appears like “The Postman” but the visuals in the movie were more acceptable since the people were not very clean and the clothing not well maintained. In the show, it looks like fashion and laundry still works.

Even what we see of the in-universe laws in the previews doesn’t make much sense. A USB pendant is immune for the continuing effects of the blackout. Is it by design of the internal circuits or the metal casing?

Since batteries don’t work, why does metal still corrode?

Whatever is generating the blackout must have a power source; both that power source and the blackout machine must be maintained and also shielded.

This actually sounds more like "Y: the last man" but with millions more dongs running around. In that comic ALL Y cromosome mammals (as in all the males) died at the same time save for a guy and his male monkey pet. Chaos ensures blah, blah, but the interesting parts of the story are the characters and the situations presented. That and the evidently crazy idea of all the d¡ck dying one day is never fully explained. The characters run into theories raging from magic to sciency but the book never confirms any letting the reader decide.

The comic made the stupid premise part of the story and mystery and ran with it. It was and is widely considered a masterpiece.

This time instead of males mysteriously dying we get batteries and technology mysteriously dying. If they pull it off, I say good for them. Some suspension of disbelieve issues should not be a reason to look down upon it, specially when they are part of the plot.

That the post apocalypse genre is getting overcrowded is another story.

I can understand that they want to do a plot like this, but if you're going to rewrite the laws of physics, at least have fun with it. :p

I'm sure there are tons of ways that technology in general could be wiped out, but I'm worried that the method they're going to wind up going with is something they haven't thought nearly enough about in terms of unexpected consequences, and the resulting mass facepalm will shift earth off its axis. :lol:

I don't claim to be up to date on physics and eletricity and everything.. but going from what I remember, I don't think there is anything that would cause all the effects they show... well.. not without disrupting the nature of matter, and possibly.. you know.. having the entire universe dissolve, as all electrical activity ceases, and atoms lose their cohesion... or something.

Or, who knows. Maybe they're going to just decide that suddenly, the polarity of matter reversed, and now electrons turned positive. Still wouldn't change the fact that they would still flow... but it might explain why nothing works as people expect. And if they do happen to use this idea? I will find a way to eat my own face.

Edited by Chronocidal

Considering that there were people scared shitless yesterday because the conspiracy gods said that a fake alien invasion/terrorist attack during the closing Olympic games would plunge the whole world into fascist lock down… well, that suddenly the world going blackout would push crazy people beyond crazy isn’t so far fetched.

There were definitely aliens, though they were friendly for the most part:

2012-mascot.jpg

Good point. :lol: It's weird in the opposite direction though.. I mean, most sci-fi involves technology that gets around physics. This might be the same thing, but it's really hard to imagine something having all those effects at once without causing much more destructive damage than is seen.