The implementation of Blink's mutant powers in this film was fantastic. The special effects looked really good and they were quite imaginative as far as implementation. I liked the way in which she used the portals such that the sentinels attacks hitother sentinels. Very cool.

Her death was also really tragic as well, involving her power :(

Which was another of the things the movie got right, Sentinels learning, adapting and using the mutant's own powers against them.

-b.

Which was another of the things the movie got right, Sentinels learning, adapting and using the mutant's own powers against them.

-b.

Oh hell yeah. I love how scary the sentinels are in this film. The simplicity of their design, plot use and actions were just terrifying. Always great when a movie villain legitimately scares the audience.

Yeah I thought the sentinels were very scary as well. I didn't think that they would make them that menacing. These aren't your dads clunky sentinenels.

They seemed to work in mastermold with their ability to change and constantly adapt to attacks. Visually they also reminded me of the Fury from the Captain Britain tpb. It also had the ability to learn/adapt to attacks. It was a very scary creature as well, as it killed off the entire captain Britain corps and decimated several universes.

I also loved how the future took place during nitetime. It really created a dystopian feeling.

Edited by Golden Arms

Are there really no figures for this film???!!! I collect mostly robot stuff and I want a past and a future sentinels so bad.

I'm a fan of some toy forums and there is pretty much nothing out there in 6" form from the movie.

I loved the movie. Man, I was HORRIFIED by some of the mutant deaths that were happening!

Ok, something that just irked me about the movie while thinking about toys, or why there are no toys being made and/or marketed.

The Blackbird would be a cool jet to have/buy. And then it hit me;

The X-Men futuristic, transformable Blackbird. How did they get the technology to build or maintain it? Where does it land for refueling or maintenance? Where is this secret base, why not go pick everyone up and then go there? If it was able to fly above and near that Sentinel internment camp undetected then why not just fly around some remote place and have Kitty send Wolverine back while in flight (obvious answer is then there would be no suspense in the future)...grumble, grumble.

-b.

Golden Arms

I too was taken aback by the violence of the sentinels. But I suppose, that's the point. They wouldn't be as scary if the results of their actions weren't so terrifying. Which just made the movie so damned good :)

Yeah, there are definitely shades of Master Mold in the sentinels. Also, there is a lot of Nimrod in there as well. But I also got a strong "Terminator 2" vibe from them, especially their ability to form their limbs into "knives and stabbing weapons". There is also many similarites to The Destroyer, from the "Thor" comics (which of course was realized in the first film). Particularly the near identical design and implementation of the head-mounted furnace-like death beam. However, aside from the visual similarites to the Destroyer, I don't believe Singer and company consciously aped The Destroyer's powers and physical structure simply because only a Thor geek like me would know The Destroyer. He's NOT a pop culture staple that inspires homage :)

It's possible all the "dark future scenes" were meant to take place at night, but I got the impression the overcast skies were just part of the damaged done to the planet because of the war. It's clear entire cities (possibly nations) have been whiped out. It's also curious how few humans are seen in the dark future, only mutants and sentinels, possibly because the population of the Earth has been decimated. They do say in the films several times that the dark future is disastrous for the whole species, but that mutants get it the worst because they are being hunted to extintion.

karmajay

Besides the fact that their use in the plot was the most terrifying thing about them, I think what I liked most about the sentinels was that faceless, eyes-only look. The lack of a face mimicked the emotionless killing they did.

And I have to agree, those mutant deaths were horrible to watch. It's not as if they were all that graphic either, since we are watching a PG-13 movie. But it's a combination of the violence, the larger numbers of death and the context that makes them so awful. When those two sentinels grabbed Colossus and tore him apart it was devastating to watch. The number of mutant deaths was heatbreaking.

Kaneda's Bike

Though it's never stated in the film in detail, there is some vague mention made that the mutants will be noticed when they try this time travel thing. It's possible the use of the time travel effect is like a flare in the dark, so it doesn't really matter if they are flying in a super stealth jet or deep inside a mountain, they are going to be detected.

Because doing it in-flight would be too much like Inception. :p

Touche!

Golden Arms

I too was taken aback by the violence of the sentinels. But I suppose, that's the point. They wouldn't be as scary if the results of their actions weren't so terrifying. Which just made the movie so damned good :)

Yeah, there are definitely shades of Master Mold in the sentinels. Also, there is a lot of Nimrod in there as well. But I also got a strong "Terminator 2" vibe from them, especially their ability to form their limbs into "knives and stabbing weapons". There is also many similarites to The Destroyer, from the "Thor" comics (which of course was realized in the first film). Particularly the near identical design and implementation of the head-mounted furnace-like death beam. However, aside from the visual similarites to the Destroyer, I don't believe Singer and company consciously aped The Destroyer's powers and physical structure simply because only a Thor geek like me would know The Destroyer. He's NOT a pop culture staple that inspires homage :)

It's possible all the "dark future scenes" were meant to take place at night, but I got the impression the overcast skies were just part of the damaged done to the planet because of the war. It's clear entire cities (possibly nations) have been whiped out. It's also curious how few humans are seen in the dark future, only mutants and sentinels, possibly because the population of the Earth has been decimated. They do say in the films several times that the dark future is disastrous for the whole species, but that mutants get it the worst because they are being hunted to extintion.

karmajay

Besides the fact that their use in the plot was the most terrifying thing about them, I think what I liked most about the sentinels was that faceless, eyes-only look. The lack of a face mimicked the emotionless killing they did.

And I have to agree, those mutant deaths were horrible to watch. It's not as if they were all that graphic either, since we are watching a PG-13 movie. But it's a combination of the violence, the larger numbers of death and the context that makes them so awful. When those two sentinels grabbed Colossus and tore him apart it was devastating to watch. The number of mutant deaths was heatbreaking.

Kaneda's Bike

Though it's never stated in the film in detail, there is some vague mention made that the mutants will be noticed when they try this time travel thing. It's possible the use of the time travel effect is like a flare in the dark, so it doesn't really matter if they are flying in a super stealth jet or deep inside a mountain, they are going to be detected.

Ah, you could be right.

I don't recall that detail but it just seemed odd that they'd remain stationary if there was a means to escape (especially if those Sentinel troop carriers moved as slowly as they appeared to).

-b.

Meh, fu*kit. I just read the synopsis on imdb instead. <_<

Just something about the x-title movies so far that have been overwhelmingly "meh" for me. Can't quite put my finger on it; dunno if it's just the casting choices, or the production design--just something about them so far that have come up short for me, haven't felt like they've translated well in transitioning between mediums.

First Class was pretty good, in spite of some holes in the plot/continuity that were like: dafuq? you couldn't invest 5 mins worth of character/story development time to make this a little more plausible? Think I'm gonna wait for cable for DoFP.

From what I've read, sounds like a lot of characters were given the disposable treatment. But apparently the producers/writers were like: 'meh, fu*kit. we've got the naming rights, so let's just make some sh*t up. we're playing around with time travel and "alternate realities," so we can always retcon/change what doesn't suit the next installment.' See, this is what happens when folks disregard the source material.

Do I think they ought to be page for page faithful to the comics? Of course not. That's just an unrealistic expectation. But when you go muddling the story arcs it's just gonna alienate the fan base that popularized the titles to begin with. Seems like it would make each successive installment that much more convoluted and harder to reconcile with the source material, too. For instance, this after-credits scene that foreshadows upcoming characters and stories. To that I'd counter with: well, where exactly do you expect to go with that? Seems like you've played the alternate-post-apocalyptic-future angle already with this movie; kinda makes a limp-di*k of that guy, now don't it? So adapting the 'AofA' story from the comics would seemingly feel too much like retreading old ground, wouldn't it?

The 'X-Cutioner's Song' would be a pretty good one to adapt; but how many more film installments would you need just to establish the history and plausibility of Scott and Jean's long term relationship, the Summers family legacy and it's key role in the X-universe, to properly set the backdrop for that? And if you're gonna continue to make Wolverine the central character tying all the films in that little corner of that universe together: you need to pick up the pace (Marvel Studios, Fox, whoever). You've pretty well pissed away the better part of 15 years getting the first trilogy told--and subsequently cleaning up the sh*tstain mess that was the 3rd X-movie. You're either gonna have to reboot (Christ! again?!), or just how much longer can you realistically expect Hugh Jackman to keep reprising such action-heavy and physically rigorous character portrayals? Just saying...

Edited by reddsun1

^All I would suggest is that you watch it for yourself, whether that be at the theater, on cable, Netflix, whatever. It's your time and money. An IMDb synopsis isn't going to have any of the impact (good or bad) as watching it for yourself.

And while I was not a fan of the first three X movies, I enjoyed First Class as a marked improvement over the first three and I enjoyed Days of Future Past as a marked improvement over First Class.

I give credit where credit is due that the studio found a clever way to incorporate a lot of different characters while trying to correct what many viewed as mistakes from the first three (or just the third) X-Men movies.

-b.

It's just sad how

several members from First Class were killed off-screen, such as Angel Salvadore, Azazel, even Emma Frost.

:(

Honestly they could have just said that they were off in the world doing their own thing, they didn't have to make them casualties.

Not sad about it though, felt worse for the actors playing those roles than the for the actual characters.

-b.

Saw the movie yesterday, very good, I really liked and Bingbing Fan :wub: but there are some issue didn't understand :

At the end the when Wolverine gets picked up by Striker, its actually Mystique in diguise ? and now where does X-Men Last Stand fit in the story line ?

Yes and it no longer does because now it never happened. Check out the last few pages of this thread to see discussion on that point.

-b.

Honestly they could have just said that they were off in the world doing their own thing, they didn't have to make them casualties.

Not sad about it though, felt worse for the actors playing those roles than the for the actual characters.

-b.

They had to be among victims in order to act as motivation for Mystique & the others.

They had to be among victims in order to act as motivation for Mystique & the others.

Not necessarily, they painted Mystique as wanting justice or rather revenge for all of mutant kind, otherwise if it's just for that group from First Class then her motivations are very selfish and beneath the grandiose ideals of her two would-be suitor/fathers, Magneto (peace thru dominance) and Xavier (peace thru acceptance).

I got the impression she was doing what she was doing for all mutants, not just for those she had past interactions with.

-b.

Between the end of First Class and DoFP, Mystique has been through alot. Azazel is already dead, yet he's Nightcrawler's father. So by the beginning of the flick, she's already carried and given birth to Kurt Wagner. Something pretty major, yet there's no mention-not even a hint-of it. If she had a personal motivation, that should be it.

Between the end of First Class and DoFP, Mystique has been through alot. Azazel is already dead, yet he's Nightcrawler's father. So by the beginning of the flick, she's already carried and given birth to Kurt Wagner. Something pretty major, yet there's no mention-not even a hint-of it. If she had a personal motivation, that should be it.

But just as you said - not one mention, not even a itsy-bitty-tiny-hint. She just came across as more misguided than vengeful. I honestly believed she believed that she was doing the right thing for her people.

If vengeance was her motivator then the last climatic/standoff scene would have turned out much differently in that Nixon would have caught a bullet.

-b.

I always saw the movies and comics as two very seperate stories and therefore, never considered what happen in the comics to be factual for the movies.

Just went to go see this yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Edited by Shadow

Is there a Marvel/FOX Cold War that may lead to Spiderman 3 being co-financed by Marvel & Sony and eventual Spiderman appearance in Avengers?..Rob Liefeld thinks so..

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/06/01/rob-liefeld-marvels-fox-shut-out-is-real-how-spider-man-can-appear-in-avengers-3/

Edited by terry the lone wolf

I went ahead and youtube'd the after-credits scene. That's supposed to be you-know-who? Christ--that ain't no __-____-__! Looks like they just got the manchick from Stargate. <_<

From what I understand, the part will be recasted so I won't worry about it. But when a set-photo came out, the Interwebs wasn't commenting on the character, but the age of the stand-in actor in light of the issues involving Singer at the moment.

Well if you know the history of the character he was Egyptian royalty and they were all pretty feminine looking make up wearing skinny guys. Don't let the Hollywood 50's epics fool you.

Hell, they've got prof X walking, and with hair; Wolverine's 6'+, and has nary any feral tendencies, etc, etc. So why expect them to make this guy look anywhere near the original?

Then again--it'd probably be hard to take seriously or be intimidated by some big, hulking gray-skinned dude, with blue lips, shoulder pads, tights, and dryer ducts from his ass to his elbows... :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw it today and loved it! Easily the best X-Men film and I thoroughly enjoyed X1, X2, and First Class. I never saw X3 but it got such bad word of mouth that I ended up skipping it. Mcavoy, Fassbender, and Jackman were great and they can have Jackman play Wolvie til he's in his golden years as far as I'm concerned. At this point, I can't imagine anyone else taking up the role and I love the guy. My only real complaint was that Wolverine didn't really see any action in that cool future getup he had on. The mutant deaths were surprisingly visceral for a PG-13 (Iceman and Colossus for me). THE Quicksilver scene was awesome and very funny to boot. I didn't stick around for the after credits scene since I had to really take a piss though. -_-

I didn't stick around for the after credits scene since I had to really take a piss though. -_-

Don't worry, it's totally not worth it and you actually get more out of it from reading a description of what it's supposed to be, than you do from actually seeing it.

Don't worry, it's totally not worth it and you actually get more out of it from reading a description of what it's supposed to be, than you do from actually seeing it.

I'll second that. It certainly doesn't help that the CGI quality is particularly bad in the scene.

Just saw it today and loved it! Easily the best X-Men film and I thoroughly enjoyed X1, X2, and First Class. I never saw X3 but it got such bad word of mouth that I ended up skipping it. Mcavoy, Fassbender, and Jackman were great and they can have Jackman play Wolvie til he's in his golden years as far as I'm concerned. At this point, I can't imagine anyone else taking up the role and I love the guy. My only real complaint was that Wolverine didn't really see any action in that cool future getup he had on. The mutant deaths were surprisingly visceral for a PG-13 (Iceman and Colossus for me). THE Quicksilver scene was awesome and very funny to boot. I didn't stick around for the after credits scene since I had to really take a piss though. -_-

Almost spit out my water reading that last sentence. EASILY the best reason to miss a post-credits scene ever.

I also agree it would have been cool to see any Wolverine action in the future, but thankfully his lack of an action scene in the future didn't detract from those that happened.

It was all right. Didn't hate it or anything.

Considering the source AND the material, that's some pretty high praise.

-b.