Can some please explain to me if these First-Class films are connected to the original three, or are they on a new story?

Just give up like I did and take them for what they are. Days of Future Past are an alternate timeline anyway so who knows where they will take this.

Can some please explain to me if these First-Class films are connected to the original three, or are they on a new story?

new story. There are way too many continuity changes for it to be a direct prequel to the original three.

new story. There are way too many continuity changes for it to be a direct prequel to the original three.

OK. Thanx. I asked as recently I spotted a Blu Ray box set containing Wolverine, First Class, and the original 3, all nicely decorated as the definitive X-men saga.

yeah but in x-men last stand, we see charles and eric going to recruit Jean Grey and charles was walking. Emma Frost is seen in Wolverine and she's young, not a 70 year old, Hank (beast) is seen in x-men 2 as a human and then as a furball in last stand but he's already mutated by the end of first class.

I think I recall it being said that first class was intended to be a proper prequel but at some point they decided they wouldn't sacrifice the story in order to maintain continuity.

yeah... it's like a choose your own adventures for the director... just saying that they tried to link it even though somethings didn't make sense. I hope they give Fassbender the full on Magneto gear. I thought making the helmet look more like the books was great, I hated that skull hugger crap Gandalf wore.

OK. Thanx. I asked as recently I spotted a Blu Ray box set containing Wolverine, First Class, and the original 3, all nicely decorated as the definitive X-men saga.

X-men first class is a direct prequel to the first two X-men films. X-men last stand was directed by Brett Ratner and not considered cannon to the other 3 films. Bryan Singer who directed the first two X-men films left the franchise after being offered the opportunity to direct Superman Returns. After X-men last stand, Singer got back involved with the X Franchise and we got X-men First class. He's stated that he considers first class to be in series with the two films he helmed. I would totally ignore the Wolvie film since it completely sucked and seems to exist in its own continuity anyway.

Edited by Golden Arms

X-men first class is a direct prequel to the first two X-men films. X-men last stand was direct by Brett Ratner and not considered cannon to the other 3 films. Bryan Singer who directed the first two X-men films left the franchise after being offered the opportunity to direct Superman Returns. After X-men last stand, Singer got back involved with the X Franchise and we got X-men First class. He's stated that he considers first class to be in series with the two films he helmed.

http://xmenfilms.wordpress.com/2011/05/27/matthew-vaughn-calls-x-men-first-class-a-mixture-of-prequel-and-reboot/

No, mathew vaughn says definitively that it is not a true prequel but a mixture of a prequel and a reboot.

http://xmenfilms.wor...uel-and-reboot/

No, mathew vaughn says definitively that it is not a true prequel but a mixture of a prequel and a reboot.

Same thing.

The reboot, allows them to make another trilogy of films. Which can either lead up to Singers first two films or ala Star Trek reboot the franchise. The Days of Future Past storyline gives them the flexibility to completely reboot the frachise if they choose to. I wouldn't doubt that they do so because it would allow Fox to keep the franchise for atleast another five or six years.

I still think it should be classified as a hate crime what they're done to the Marvel X-Universe. The comics have sold for 49 years but I guess that's not good enough for Hollywood, they do whatever the hell they want.

b*tching about cannonity with X-men is like b*tching about anything else that got or gets a reboot: Does it matter? Your still gonna toss your (Insert your local currency) at it... <_<

what i want (and will never see) is the Dark Phoenix saga. Are they affraid to give Chris C. royalties (and do previous artists of comics get something from the movies?)

B*tching = Generic term for complaints, arguements, CIVIL discussions (perferable over a beer or two) :D

Edited by TehPW

yeah... it's like a choose your own adventures for the director... just saying that they tried to link it even though somethings didn't make sense. I hope they give Fassbender the full on Magneto gear. I thought making the helmet look more like the books was great, I hated that skull hugger crap Gandalf wore.

I hated the look from first class. It just didn't work for me. I really didn't like the movie mainly the writing. And the continuity errors

what i want (and will never see) is the Dark Phoenix saga. Are they affraid to give Chris C. royalties (and do previous artists of comics get something from the movies?)

B*tching = Generic term for complaints, arguements, CIVIL discussions (perferable over a beer or two) :D

Too confusing for the audience. now if marvel had the rights then they could probably work something out.

Hope it bombs.

@ Ghost Train. Cannot stop laughing! Brilliant! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It just didn't work for me. I really didn't like the movie mainly the writing. And the continuity errors

Too confusing for the audience. now if marvel had the rights then they could probably work something out.

I don't know about that. Marvel's comic book world as gone to hell with DC's. Forever time travelling, forever alternative universes, forever rebooting, forever bringing back the dead... The latest in the NEW 52 left me very... meh, I mean Robin is gone, again, and becomes... Redbird because a RedRobin still exists... :(

Thanks for adding that Grave.

I won't be spending any more money on anymore X-Men movies.

As for paying royalties, I'm not sure they have to worry about that. Stan Lee isn't making any money from all his works according to an interview I saw with him.

I don't mind the DC movies to much because I didn't read their books growing up. However, I read the hell out of X-Anything and I just want to pull my hair out. When it comes to the continuity of a movie in relation to the original material, I think I could live with it if Hollywood stuck to 70% of the source material. Unfortunately they only do 30% and come up with the worst crap to fill in the rest.

b*tching about cannonity with X-men is like b*tching about anything else that got or gets a reboot: Does it matter? Your still gonna toss your (Insert your local currency) at it... <_<

Yeah

I didn't disagree with E. I think we are both right. The director also had to be politician about First class. If he says it's a reboot, the movie going public gets pissed and says WTF. We just had three films we were emotionally invested in. Why a reboot so soon after them. First class was a prequel to the previous X films because most of the big actions fit within its continuity. The Studio would like the idea of a reboot because they can recast all of the actors if they choose to(which they did for the most part). And it keeps the movie rights to a wildly sucessful franchise with Fox.

I think X3 would've resembled more of the Dark Phoenix story had Singer not bolted to do Superman. When he left, James Marsden also decided to go with him. So what we got was a watered down mess. They also tried to mix in touch much stuff from some of the more recent books.

They also did a homage to Chris Claremont in X3. He had a cameo when Mags and Xavier went to visit a young Jean Grey.

Edited by Golden Arms

I liked First Class better than the original trilogy (at least until both US and Soviets decide to mutually attack the Mutants, which was absurd). I'll probably catch this one on PSN or Netflix. Don't know or care enough about it's continuity to care. If they were going to do anything, they should've aped the cartoon, which I enjoyed in the 90s.

But what about the three way lesbian wedding between Knockout, Scandal Savage, and Liana the stripper?

That Sir,

I have no idea!

I Too was a gigantic X-men growing up. I didn't mind all of the changes the studio made to story because they perserved the essence of the characters and their overall story. When I go to the movies I want a fresh story. That has increasingly been one of my beefs when filmmakers decide to make films based on books and comics. If you make a literal interpretation, then whats the point of going to see the movie? You've already read the source material. Thats why I have no interest in seeing the Hobbit. The movie isn't going to explore any fresh ground and it's just a rehash of the novel. Nothing new, been there done that. It took me seeing the LOTR trilogy and buying those films on DVD to realize that point.

I treat the X franchise as an alternate world(parallel universe) take as to how the characters would be if they existed in a real world setting. There are a lot of things I would've liked to have seen them do differently, but it didn't hinder my enjoyment of the films. The films made the characters really acessible to the general public who didn't really care/need to know 40 plus years of continuity and minutia.

I liked First Class better than the original trilogy (at least until both US and Soviets decide to mutually attack the Mutants, which was absurd). I'll probably catch this one on PSN or Netflix. Don't know or care enough about it's continuity to care. If they were going to do anything, they should've aped the cartoon, which I enjoyed in the 90s.

Same here. I didn't really enjoy the original trilogy, but for some reason I really liked First Class.

Graham

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...