Latest completed kit- VF-1J Kai Valkyrie

Jefuemon

Finally finished! What I was looking to do was this:

post-12411-0-33607600-1310773046_thumb.jpg post-12411-0-10550500-1338013066_thumb.jpg

Did I succeed?

post-12411-0-85841500-1343519260_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-80507800-1343519266_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-29571000-1343519273_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-88227200-1343519279_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-55630500-1343519288_thumb.jpg

post-12411-0-10348300-1343519255_thumb.jpg

Couple of firsts for me on this kit. All of the red and black were painted, not decals. Never done that much of an extensive masking/painting before. Used the Jasmine Models PE set for the first time. And, used Wave sculpting putty to modify a Studio Starforge pilot figure to get a the First figure.

Very nice! Is this the 1/48, or the 1/72?

The 1/72. PetarB isn't doing figures in 1/48 yet. Maybe if a few more people yell in his direction... :rolleyes:

Your masking skills are quite formidable. Decals could not have been any better.

Excellent job!

Thanks. This was a very intensive masking job. And I myself was shocked and amazed to find that the lines from the body to the wing matched up perfectly!

Wow, very cool! Nice job on the painting. What is/are Jasmine Models PE? Decals? I really dig seeing valk models with alternate paint schemes instead of the usual canon. I need to build one of my valks!

What is/are Jasmine Models PE? Decals?

Photo Etched parts. Here's their website. The set I used was 272003. Didn't use all the parts, but what I did makes it look a lot nicer. My favorite bits were #1-5. Those go on the exposed part behind the wing, and on the wing part to hard the visible inner parts. If they made of sheet of just 3-4 sets of that, I'd buy again in a hurry.

Beautiful job on that. :) I have to admit, I have a personal thing for fully painted markings, I love doing any marking I can that way, just because it looks so amazing once everything's painted. Plus, I've never enjoyed having large decals shred on me. :p

I can't remember if you mentioned attempting this before, but did you tweak the angles the lower legs sit at? They look a bit higher than the standard 1/72 Hasegawa kit has them, closer to way the 1/48 kit has them, and the plane overall doesn't look like the nose is pointing down so much.

Great work Jefuemon! and the pilot also looks amazing!

For the last 2 months I've been building this kit:

VF-1J_kit_MW.jpg

After seeing your photos I realized I screwed up in many parts :( I hope it ends up looking as good as yours!

Wow! Anybody sitting on an 1:60 unpainted kit they'd want to paint like this? I want to see this in Battroid (beside the illustration)!

Hopefully, soon!

Nope, no tweeking was done on the legs. Guess it seemed to turn out fine on its own!

I'm glad everyone seems to like the paint job. I was looking on the net for other builds like this for tips/inspiration, and I found nothing. Thought for sure there would be a few more people willing to challenge this build.

For those who are interested, the colors I used were:

Mr Color 311 Grey FS36622 for the base color

Mr Color 108 Character Red for the red

Mr Color Flat Black for the black

• 5 months later...