Last announcement of the night.

500201695f959.jpg

Those at SDCC 2012 were treated to test footage of the concept they wanted to do. Hopefully someone or Marvel will post the concept footage.

Do we really need a movie about this... character?

What Mark Millar said about "Kick-Ass" is very telling:

With Kick-Ass, the book's just out and now the movie's out six weeks later. And I think that's the way things are going to go now, because to go to Marvel's B and C-list characters and try to get movies out [of] them; what's the point of that?
Edited by sketchley

It doesn't matter how B-List or C-List the character is, it's all about the execution. People seem to forget that Iron Man was B-List before his movie.

Isn't one of the reasons behind making a superhero movie the built in name/brand recognition? Iron Man may have been B-list, but he was recognizable.

Ant Man on the other hand, if I've heard or seen of him before, I've completely forgotten about him. Which would make him, what, F-list? (If Iron-Man is B).

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hank Pym was never meant to be depicted as a wife beater according to the comic writer Jim Shooter:

"In that story (issue 213, I think), there is a scene in which Hank is supposed to have accidentally struck Jan while throwing his hands up in despair and frustration—making a sort of “get away from me” gesture while not looking at her. Bob Hall, who had been taught by John Buscema to always go for the most extreme action, turned that into a right cross! There was no time to have it redrawn, which, to this day has caused the tragic story of Hank Pym to be known as the “wife-beater” story."

http://www.jimshooter.com/2011/03/hank-pym-was-not-wife-beater.html

Who the hell is Ant Man?

Edited by Freiflug88

Whether he's a wife beater or not Marvel continues their plan of hiring huge, A-listers to play... well, hell, Ant-Man isn't even up to D-List standards.

Also, I wonder how many takes it took for the guy in that video to not burst out laughing while describing how Ant-Man defeated a colony of ants with his knowledge of Judo?

Edited by Mommar

The Marvel movie-verse has been a pretty good mix of regular and Ultimate continuities.

Haven't read either on a regular basis in a few years so I don't know what the writing and/or casting on the Ant-Man movie says, but if it's more Ultimate universe then it's consistent with how Marvel has released the Iron Man to current movies.

-b.

• 4 months later...

Just read the news on Slashfilm. To say this is a disappointment is a huge understatement. My only interest in this film was Edgar Wright's involvement. Especially given the long gestation period and how much talk has been made about Wright's direction with this picture (not to mention his script, which Marvel has said is the backbone of this project). I know Marvel will charge ahead and present a a confident public face given the sunk costs already incurred, but this is about as bad a turn as could happen to this project.

This went from opening night screening to Netflix Sunday viewing with this announcement, barring word of mouth.

Given how little success I would have ever given this movie Edgar Wright was the only reason I could see this succeeding. Maybe Marvel could prove me wrong but I have serious doubts this movie will do anything more than tank.

Then this should be no shock.

Adam McKay Pulls Out of 'Ant-Man' Director Negotiations

Basically, over the weekend, McKay was tapped direct, but pulled out at the negotiation phase due to other commitments. My guess is Marvel wants to keep the 2015 date (read: That date is set in stone) and McKay can't do it in less than a year (for a project this size, you'll need a year just to do it all). So scratch another name off the list. Other names being dropped into the short list of directors are Rawson Marshall Thurber and Ruben Fleischer.

And another one passes.

Rawson Thurber Passes On Marvel’s ANT-MAN Offer

Clock's ticking if they want to make that July 2015 release date.

Wow, that was an incredibly cynical AND funny article. So...big fat mess in the making, I guess Marvel had to stumble at some point.

-b.

I did read up those posts, the point still stands. That is of course unless you guys are joking around.

No one is joking, this movie/production has the makings/aka potential (underline and alternative so that you get that this word is both important and to help you with context) to be a huge mess. That doesn't mean anyone wants it to be.

But the fact remains that Marvel is now on to their 4th choice of directors, with a release date a little more than a year away. So, yeah...

-b.

DIRECTOR PEYTON REED AND WRITER ADAM MCKAY JOIN MARVEL'S ANT-MAN

So McKay passed on the director's chair and will basically do a re-write of Edgar Wright's script.

Well...if anything Ant-Man's journey to the big screen will be interesting. Guessing they're going full-blown comedy with this one though.

-b.

Given that Ant-Man's entire premise is pretty comical/weird the chance it would be successful, even under Edgar Wright, was minimal. The bit of test footage shown definitely made Ant-Man's powers more interesting then anyone would have guessed, however it would take JUST the right amount of clever/quirk to get it right and I don't believe Marvel is going to find that person now.