Rewatched Episode 6:

Craig has seen the Ant Man and so he and Paul sit down to talk his thoughts on the film, then do a VERY SPOILERY synopsis of the movie. Listen for the spoiler warning kids, past that point you're in the Danger Zone!
http://www.repackedpodcast.com/archives/2276'>http://www.repackedpodcast.com/archives/2276

Rewatched Episode 6:

Craig has seen the Ant Man and so he and Paul sit down to talk his thoughts on the film, then do a VERY SPOILERY synopsis of the movie. Listen for the spoiler warning kids, past that point you're in the Danger Zone!

http://www.repackedpodcast.com/archives/2276

His summary actually makes me want to see the movie now.

I'm still not sure whether or not to bother to see this in the theater.

Yeah I'm not feeling it either...

Easily the best superhero film of 2015. Ant-Man makes good use of MCU connections and cameo appearances. Paul Rudd really delivers as Scott Lang/Ant-Man. Michael Douglas is amazing as always, except that...

CGI 1989 Michael Douglas is much creepier than skinny Chris Evans, CLU Jeff Bridges, and young Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen combined.

As it stands, here's how I rank the MCU:

Marvel Cinematic Universe

1. The Avengers

2. Iron Man

3. Guardians of the Galaxy

4. Captain America: The First Avenger

5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

6. Ant-Man

7. Avengers: Age of Ultron

8. Thor

9. Iron Man 3

10. The Incredible Hulk

11. Thor: The Dark World

12. Iron Man 2

Just got back from seeing it; I enjoyed the film and it is very entertaining, but it has it's flaws.

I agree with many critics that the format of these superhero films feel worn at this point. Antman's script sure doesn't do much to distinguish the film and sadly there is little in the way of surprises. Corey Stoll was also tragically underutilizied as the main antagonist, though it's through no fault of the actor. Yet, the film won me over in spite of these flaws, particularly thanks to strong performances from the three leads Michael Douglas, Evangeline Lilly, and Paul Rudd. All of them sell each role very well and Paul Rudd expectedly turns in an excellent comedic performance that sustains the audience through what could have been a cringe-inducing story. Even better, Michael Pena delivers one of the funniest standout performances of the film, particularly during his re-telling of two very clever second-hand bro-story sequences that had me laughing in tears. The special effects were also a real treat, done with a lot of creativity and energy that gave the whole film a unique look all it's own. The implementation of Antman's powers were incredibly fun and even emotionally moving. This movie might make you reconsider the next ant you think to step on :)

I'd rate Antman 3 out of 5. I feel Antman comes up short (just go with it) against Marvel's best and I'd say all my current Marvel favorites stand a head above it (for the record, Ironman, Captain America TWS, Avengers 1 & 2, Guardians). But I'd also say Antman was far more entertaining as a fun film than almost all the other Marvel movies not on my list. It's worth it for a good time at the movies.

Oh, and the stinger at the half-credits was absolutely awesome :)

Edited by Mr March

Wow, movie tie-in ads generally suck, but that Yakult one is just cringe-worthy. If my ears could gag...

Saw Ant-Man today, and it had a similar light-hearted feel to it as Guardians, which was also one of the best MCU films. Enjoyed it greatly, although I'm sure anyone with a Ph.D in particle physics will tear it a new one. Agree with Mr. March on all his observations. Pena's stories, and how they filmed them, were great, esp the last one.

Looking forward to more Ant-Man and company.

If you liked the way Pena's stories were told, that was taken straight out of Drunk History on Comedy Central... one of the most hilarious and suprisingly most informative shows on TV. There's a bunch of scenes from the show on youtube.

If you liked the way Pena's stories were told, that was taken straight out of Drunk History on Comedy Central... one of the most hilarious and suprisingly most informative shows on TV. There's a bunch of scenes from the show on youtube.

It's a technique that has also been used in films and TV before that too, such as the films Chopper, Shaun of the Dead (Hmmm Edgar Wright, who would have thought?) and some Guy Richie films like Lock, Stock and also Snatch. It's a great technique.......

Someone noted this?

11054403_1027956973884170_25010649653612

OH MY GOD! Who would have thought that a bunch of guys in insect themed armor would you know maybe all look like insects? Never mind the current ant man really isn't all that different from the original design from 1962 which predates Kamen Rider by nearly ten years. Maybe, just maybe the world doesn't revolve around Japan?

I mean, Ant-man was too obvious, but Yellow Jacket I admit, don't get the first time ^^"

I got to see it this Sunday, easily my favorite MCU movie yet, but then again, I'm a huge fan of the character, Ant-Man has ALWAYS been my favorite Marvel character. I saw the Phase 2 bluray collection popped up recently, I promptly pre-ordered mine, it will look good next to Phase 1 and the tesseract, I'm guessing that's how they're going to do it, each new big Phase box set will come with another infinity stone replica, which I am totally okay with.

Saw this yesterday on a spur-of-the-moment decsion with the wife and son.

Orginally wasn't planning to watch it as I thought the trailer looked crap.

However, was pleasantly suprised and ended up really enjoing the movie.

Far preferred it to Age of Ultron.

Graham

RedLetterMedia liked it. Said it had an 80's vibe and it was more of a heist movie with a fun ending sequence.

I probably won't go see it in the theater, but I'll get around to watching it.

Easily the best superhero film of 2015. Ant-Man makes good use of MCU connections and cameo appearances. Paul Rudd really delivers as Scott Lang/Ant-Man. Michael Douglas is amazing as always, except that...

CGI 1989 Michael Douglas is much creepier than skinny Chris Evans, CLU Jeff Bridges, and young Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen combined.

As it stands, here's how I rank the MCU:

Marvel Cinematic Universe

1. The Avengers

2. Iron Man

3. Guardians of the Galaxy

4. Captain America: The First Avenger

5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

6. Ant-Man

7. Avengers: Age of Ultron

8. Thor

9. Iron Man 3

10. The Incredible Hulk

11. Thor: The Dark World

12. Iron Man 2

Winter soldier is much, much better than 3 and 4. GOG is pretty overrated in terms of plot. Thor was pretty bad too... 2 is a bit more fun but whew.

I don't think there are enough good ones to rank 10...If you have to reach into the Hulk movies you're reaching. Maybe a top 5 haha.

I'd say:

1. Avengers

2. Winter Soldier

3. Iron Man 1 (or 2) (I personally like 2 better than 1.)

4. GOG

5. AOU

Though I haven't seen Antman.

After watching Daredevil and the Flash... I just don't think films are a good home for super hero graphic stories compared to TV. You just do not get to tell enough of a story - even when it spans 10-12 movies like the above. The movie makers keep going back and treading the same ground because they don't trust audiences to be smart enough to know who each person is and what they are doing. Like with Tony Stark. He's been in 5 or 6 movies which is about 12 hours of film and we still don't know that much about him, or his family, or his motivations. We know he's good at making stuff. And he's witty and stuff... but they never really developed who he is beyond some paranoia and fear. They never went into his Alchie past, or the subtle traits that would lead to Civil War. They just cover it up with a lame love interest to Pepper Pots.

Which is my point. And what RLM mentions about Antman - they shoehorn in romances and things that the marketing tells them they have to have instead of really laying out the story.

Shrug.

These movies are fun as big spectacle, but watching a character like Matt Murdock develop over his first season, or Barry Allen cover SO MUCH ground in his show... Movies are just not cutting it anymore for graphic story telling.

The ideal would be a show that rolls up into a movie, so you could have the big Hollywood treatment for a finale, but that would be hard to get done.

Edited by Gakken85

I gotta disagree on Winter Soldier. While it's very watchable I laughed a few times through that movie when I wasn't supposed to laugh. There's a whole bunch of stuff in that movie that is extremely over-the-top to the point it took me out of the movie. There's also stuff like Black Widow deciphering a password because she knows the buttons that were pressed... with no question as to how she'd know the sequence. Then there's bigger stuff like Fury cutting a hole in the ground to disappear without a question of what happened to the ground where he made the incision.

Ant Man is on my Netflix queue.. mostly because my kids are too small for theaters.