Milano is a human name?

I thought it was named after the cookie

0001410007412_500X500.jpg

Posted this on the previous page....here you go

The ship is named after Alyssa Milano

http://www.fandango.com/movie-news/fun-fact-star-lords-ship-in-guardians-of-the-galaxy-is-named-after-this-80s-dream-girl-748221

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I don't know if I've chimed in on this but my wife and I saw this this weekend and loved it. I think that haiku is spot on and that the perception that this movie can't possibly be that great helps make it better (I think most Marvel films benefit from this as far as I'm concerned). It's that whole "OH that movie is so awesome you gotta see it" almost guarantees you'll feel let down. You go into this movie thinking "I can't believe I'm going to see a movie that looks this ridiculous" and then it's good. Anywho, I'm very fond of this movie and hope we get sequels. I will add that Drax was definitely the low spot of the film for me. I don't want to blame the actor entirely, it sounds like he was given absolute crap to work with. His dialogue was going to be brutally hard for anyone to make work especially with the bit about being a literal species or something. Ugh. The green girl also had some dialog that was cringe worthy. It's that whole 'in the future, people speak as if they're more proper" mindset. Yuck. So those are my nits, otherwise, awesome.

Oh, there's definitely a lot of old-school science fiction flavour and design in the Guardians of the Galaxy. Especially the use of color in the film, from little things like background props to much bigger things like sets, spacecraft design and lead characters costumes. Often in scenes you will find the frame filled color and characters of all different shapes and sizes, something that is very evocative of Heavy metal comics and the artwork of older artists like Moebius. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, there also appears to be a lot of homage to 1970's sci-fi artists like Chris Foss and Peter Elson with regards to the use of color on spacecraft.

Oh, there's definitely a lot of old-school science fiction flavour and design in the Guardians of the Galaxy. Especially the use of color in the film, from little things like background props to much bigger things like sets, spacecraft design and lead characters costumes. Often in scenes you will find the frame filled color and characters of all different shapes and sizes, something that is very evocative of Heavy metal comics and the artwork of older artists like Moebius. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, there also appears to be a lot of homage to 1970's sci-fi artists like Chris Foss and Peter Elson with regards to the use of color on spacecraft.

This. I've read that Chris Foss actually did design work for the movie - but I don't know if that was early conceptual stuff, or if his work ended up as final designs "on film." I love the use of color in this movie. We've gotten so used to scifi and spaceships being all greys, blacks, and gunmetal. It was a breath of fresh air.

This. I've read that Chris Foss actually did design work for the movie - but I don't know if that was early conceptual stuff, or if his work ended up as final designs "on film." I love the use of color in this movie. We've gotten so used to scifi and spaceships being all greys, blacks, and gunmetal. It was a breath of fresh air.

Exactly! I think the reason GotG is doing so well is because a lot of us have been starved for this kind of space opera adventure movie and the visual freshness of the film's color palette is a big reason why the movie stands apart. It was so much fun to see space look so vibrant and alive on the big screen once again.

My problem with Drax is that in the reboot of GOG and the annihilation crossover, he came across as a very intelligent, yet soft spoken character.

I think they made Drax a constant punch-line in the film because it's a pro wrestler who can't really act. They got the best performance with what they had, tailoring the part to him a bit. I think it got a bit tedious, but it worked most of the time.

Exactly! I think the reason GotG is doing so well is because a lot of us have been starved for this kind of space opera adventure movie and the visual freshness of the film's color palette is a big reason why the movie stands apart. It was so much fun to see space look so vibrant and alive on the big screen once again.

It certainly took a long time until those 70's SF visions were done right on the big screen. Now I'm waiting for a good Cyberpunk movie...

It certainly took a long time until those 70's SF visions were done right on the big screen. Now I'm waiting for a good Cyberpunk movie...

I think we've had those 70's sci-fi elements show up in a lot of films over the years, but I agree that we've not seen them in quite as big a way as GotG has and not for quite a long number of years.

I thought The Matrix was good cyberpunk on film, though I can understand how the sequels may have destroyed everyone's happy memories of the first film. And speaking of a good number of years... :)

An excellent article. Couldn't agree more on a lot of the choices Gunn made for the film. Very smart craft work.

Having read that article also makes this an excellent time time to talk about CG characters. Perhaps giving credit to Guardians of the Galaxy is unfair, but Jeff Canata said on the Slashfilm Podcast that he doesn't even see the CG characters as CG creations anymore and felt they were totally seamless in their integration in this particular film. While I agree with Canata to a point, I think GotG simply benefits from the "Gollum" effect but on a much larger scale with a grander cast. As long as the creatures created are given character of their own and good dialogue that can engage the audience, we as the viewers can forgive any shortcomings of the photorealistic animation itself. That's not to say GotG had that problem: in fact I was really taken in by the natural, casual effect of the CG animation for characters like Rocket and Groot. The technology of CG effects has advanced leaps and bounds in the last decade as has the experience and skill of computer animators. It's sometimes easy to forget these creatures don't actually exist, not even as inanimate physical props in some cases. Perhaps it also has to do with ourselves as the audience; perhaps we've become so used to these creations in our films that we don't even notice them as separate elements anymore. But they say the best special effects are the effects you notice the least, so I don't want to deny credit to the great character effects work done for this film.

I thought The Matrix was good cyberpunk on film, though I can understand how the sequels may have destroyed everyone's happy memories of the first film. And speaking of a good number of years... :)

What sequels? I don't remember any sequels.

oh, let me Jog your memeory:

I don't see anything?

No they did not, you are just ignoring them. Besides the sequels are better than the first, mainly due to no bellybutton crawler scene.

What sequels? What are you people talking about?!

Was watching comicbookgirl19's GotG review... she mentions that she doesn't like it when the comic book crosses over with Earth's heroes and I'm thinking... uhhh, you know where this is all headed right? It's obvious she knows because she mentions the Infinity Gauntlet... I'm just wondering when this is going to happen... 2023?

So, when are we gonna see a

1/1-scale Dancing Baby Groot

available online and at the nearest toystores?!!

Sucks that Hasbro/Disney didn't anticipate making something like this.