infinity stones are the ultimate mcguffins.

So we now know the location and name of three of the six Infinity Stones. The Space stone is in Asgard, which is being ruled by Loki pretending to be Odin. That’s not exactly a secure location. The reality stone is being held by the Collector, and the last time we checked in with him he was standing a pile of rubble being mocked by Howard the Duck. The Power stone is being held on Xandar, after being successfully defended by Star-Lord and crew.

Actually, the more I read this... the more each older marvel film feels less mcguffinie... even though they are giant mcguffins driving to a single point.

Actually got little nerd chills on this one:

This is storytelling on a scope that has never been done before in films, and may never be done again. When this is all over, when the Avengers are forced to deal with a Thanos wielding the Infinity Gauntlet, crap is going to get real. And I can't wait to buy the box set.
Edited by Gakken85

There is no such thing as a mcguffin, only Alfred Hitchcock fans and people that believe tropes exist.

*Insert face palm meme*

infinity stones are the ultimate mcguffins.

So we now know the location and name of three of the six Infinity Stones. The Space stone is in Asgard, which is being ruled by Loki pretending to be Odin. That’s not exactly a secure location. The reality stone is being held by the Collector, and the last time we checked in with him he was standing a pile of rubble being mocked by Howard the Duck. The Power stone is being held on Xandar, after being successfully defended by Star-Lord and crew.

Actually, the more I read this... the more each older marvel film feels less mcguffinie... even though they are giant mcguffins driving to a single point.

Actually got little nerd chills on this one:

Yep, and this is what I was talking about on the last page. I guess it's impatience that wants me to have at least one Marvel protagonist to recognize what's taking place with the Stones, but it's too early in the "grand story" for that to happen.

-b.

Saw it this past weekend. One of Marvels best. Perhaps one of the best big summer box office movies. It seems so strange to think of this film as a super hero movie, because it didn't feel like much of one at all. It felt more like a Star Wars film. Not the crappy Star Wars prequels, but the Star Wars sequel we should have had. And not just because it's space opera, I mean everything. The production design, the props, the costumes, the mechanical design; it's all really interesting, creative and distinct. That lived-in feeling permeates the entire film and makes it so easy to just leap into this crazy world because it feels so relateable and alive. The cast was amazing, with great performances across the board. The dialogue was hilarious. There were so many jokes I think i laughed over a few once or twice. Easily the kind of film I can watch over and over again.

A final note as a mecha fan; I am in love with that ship. For me that hero spacecraft - called The Milano - now joins the ranks of the Serenity from "Firefly" and the Millenium Falcon from "Star Wars" as another beloved space chariot filled with character and style. I must own a model of that ship. MUST! :)

Edited by Mr March

Unfortunately, Marvel does not own the rights to Rom. They have been using the other space knights but Rom himself is owned by the toy company that contracted Marvel to produce the comic in the 80's.

Sorry to edit out 99.9% of your post, but I just had to shout out Rom: Space Knight! One of the first comics I ever read as a very young kid. Now and Easter Egg with Rom and/or the Dire Waiths would have been truly an epic moment.

I wonder if the good folks over at Marvel have even thought about a Rom movie or cameo...

Hopefully I get a chance to see GotG in theaters again, it really is worth a 2nd viewing.

-b.

Loved the movie and was the first time in a while that I saw a completely new spaceship ensign that I really liked. The Milano and her sisters are awesome! Also don't know if you guys figured it out, probably did, was where the name came from. As StarLord is a child of the 80's he named his ship after many boy's first crush from that time period, Alyssa Milano.

http://www.fandango.com/movie-news/fun-fact-star-lords-ship-in-guardians-of-the-galaxy-is-named-after-this-80s-dream-girl-748221

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Loved the movie and was the first time in a while that I saw a completely new spaceship ensign that I really liked. The Milano and her sisters are awesome! Also don't know if you guys figured it out, probably did, was where the name came from. As StarLord is a child of the 80's he named his ship after many boy's first crush from that time period, Alyssa Milano.

http://www.fandango.com/movie-news/fun-fact-star-lords-ship-in-guardians-of-the-galaxy-is-named-after-this-80s-dream-girl-748221

Chris

I wondered if it was his favorite Pepperidge Farm cookie.

Unfortunately, Marvel does not own the rights to Rom. They have been using the other space knights but Rom himself is owned by the toy company that contracted Marvel to produce the comic in the 80's.

Ah man, that sucks. I guess it's a good thing that he's not that popular a character, still a cameo/Easter Egg would have been awesome.

Thanks for the info!

Wait, space knights where?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rom_%28comics%29

and/or

http://marvel.wikia.com/Rom_%28Earth-616%29

Saw it this past weekend. One of Marvels best. Perhaps one of the best big summer box office movies. It seems so strange to think of this film as a super hero movie, because it didn't feel like much of one at all. It felt more like a Star Wars film. Not the crappy Star Wars prequels, but the Star Wars sequel we should have had. And not just because it's space opera, I mean everything. The production design, the props, the costumes, the mechanical design; it's all really interesting, creative and distinct. That lived-in feeling permeates the entire film and makes it so easy to just leap into this crazy world because it feels so relateable and alive. The cast was amazing, with great performances across the board. The dialogue was hilarious. There were so many jokes I think i laughed over a few once or twice. Easily the kind of film I can watch over and over again.

A final note as a mecha fan; I am in love with that ship. For me that hero spacecraft - called The Milano - now joins the ranks of the Serenity from "Firefly" and the Millenium Falcon from "Star Wars" as another beloved space chariot filled with character and style. I must own a model of that ship. MUST! :)

Quoted for Truth - and I absolutely want a replica of their ship. There is an untapped market for Aoshima or some other toy maker to make some of the ships from television, movies or video games.

-b.

Quoted for Truth - and I absolutely want a replica of their ship. There is an untapped market for Aoshima or some other toy maker to make some of the ships from television, movies or video games.

-b.

Oh yeah. Same guys that did they Cheyenne Drop Ship. I'd love a company like that to build a Milano.

Actually the Groot + Rocket 2 pack has a little "1/6th potted groot."

A6522286-A153-416B-A4F4-32E2C27E98AB_zps

But I don't think Groot will make a great figure. Too big and boring. So I'll save my money haha.

Edited by Gakken85

I'm only getting Firefox.

Groot - Like the character well enough, but the toy looks boring. Nothing to interact with other than having it stand there. Plus it's large.

Starlord - His design is too 90's for me. The trench coat, and the Rocketman outfit... meh. It's fine for the movie but I don't want a toy of it.

Drax - I would not own a Batista likeness. I'd be afraid somebody thought I was a wrestling fan.

Gamora - Meh, Green lady.

I might get a Nebula if it looks good. Ronan would be cool but he doesn't look right imo. Too small.

Plus firefox is small, and cheap for a hot toy.

Nice! I was lamenting the missed opportunity of potted Groot and now they added it! Now they're just missing the dumb smile face like mentioned earlier :)

I preodered the two pack and Starlord after seeing the movie.

I'm only getting Firefox.

Groot - Like the character well enough, but the toy looks boring. Nothing to interact with other than having it stand there. Plus it's large.

Starlord - His design is too 90's for me. The trench coat, and the Rocketman outfit... meh. It's fine for the movie but I don't want a toy of it.

Drax - I would not own a Batista likeness. I'd be afraid somebody thought I was a wrestling fan.

Gamora - Meh, Green lady.

I might get a Nebula if it looks good. Ronan would be cool but he doesn't look right imo. Too small.

Plus firefox is small, and cheap for a hot toy.

Who or what is Firefox? Do you mean Rocket?

Chris

Orange flight suites are the norm for testflights, green, kakhi, etc are real flights.

Strange Stars Wars also uses orange for the Rebels.

The Racoon has already been cleared for production plus some characters.

I saw this movie on the weekend and absolutely loved it. My wife, who generally dislikes sci-fi, otaku and all things geeky said the movie was good. I never read the comics, had no idea what the backstory was, the only thing I knew was there was a Marvel comic series with the same name. Anyways, hope they make a second one.....might go see this one again in theatres.