How about that, the one guy who gave Guardians a poor review has pretty much given every single Comic Book movie a poor review as well. The only one that is apparently watchable in his eyes is Winter Soldier and that only manages to be as tolerable as the Katy Perry film was.

How about that, the one guy who gave Guardians a poor review has pretty much given every single Comic Book movie a poor review as well. The only one that is apparently watchable in his eyes is Winter Soldier and that only manages to be as tolerable as the Katy Perry film was.

This is why I love the blogosphere and the new criticism of the internet generation; you don't have to waste everyone's time by forcing a single official critic for your newspaper to review movies that are from a genre of entertainment they don't like, can't like and will never like. I watch and enjoy everything from indie, to drama, to horror, to sci-fi, to foreign, to thriller, to documentary, to...you name it. If some critic likes his arty foreign flicks as his reviewing gig, he might adore "Run Lola Run" like I do, but he's not going to embrace "The Avengers" like I have.

Now, we have entire film blogs staffed with folks that share similar tastes to my own and who's tendencies I can trust. I also relate well to them and so can also easily understand when we're going to differ our opinions on a film. It's a far superior system to the establishment that used to run film criticism for decades before.

This is why I love the blogosphere and the new criticism of the internet generation; you don't have to waste everyone's time by forcing a single official critic for your newspaper to review movies that are from a genre of entertainment they don't like, can't like and will never like. I watch and enjoy everything from indie, to drama, to horror, to sci-fi, to foreign, to thriller, to documentary, to...you name it. If some critic likes his arty foreign flicks as his reviewing gig, he might adore "Run Lola Run" like I do, but he's not going to embrace "The Avengers" like I have.

Now, we have entire film blogs staffed with folks that share similar tastes to my own and who's tendencies I can trust. I also relate well to them and so can also easily understand when we're going to differ our opinions on a film. It's a far superior system to the establishment that used to run film criticism for decades before.

Careful, you may date yourself. :p

And I too remember the days of only newspaper & TV Film Critics. The dark, pre-internet ages.

-b.

I'm old, it's okay :)

I just like the efficiency and availability. All this new internet film criticism means I rarely, if ever, miss a good movie I know I want to see. Between podcasts, blogs, friends and word of mouth, it's rare that something I love will escape my attention. I much prefer it this way to the dark fog of war that it was before :)

Well I had an interesting interaction with my Father at lunch today. He turns to me and says, "Hey, that Guardians of the Galaxy movie comes out Friday!" I say, "but you don't like Comic Book Movies." To which he replied, "this is different."

Maybe I was wrong about people outside of comic fandom being interested in this one. On the other hand pretty much anything he finds funny is terrible. Like, Larry The Cable Guy film terrible.

Well I had an interesting interaction with my Father at lunch today. He turns to me and says, "Hey, that Guardians of the Galaxy movie comes out Friday!" I say, "but you don't like Comic Book Movies." To which he replied, "this is different."

Maybe I was wrong about people outside of comic fandom being interested in this one. On the other hand pretty much anything he finds funny is terrible. Like, Larry The Cable Guy film terrible.

The marketing for Guardians of the Galaxy sells the film as a Marvel movie for sure, but it clearly looks more like Star Wars than it does a super hero film. Also remember that action films have been so over-the-top for decades, it's difficult to tell if there's really any line between an "action hero" and a "super hero." Both are doing the impossible and it's a fine line arguing between which is more implausible than the other. As such, I think Guardians has a much broader appeal as a sci-fi film than as a super hero film. But really, super hero films have become the new sci-fi blockbuster of our age :)

Without a doubt, Guardians of the Galaxy is one of the best superhero and sci-fi films ever made. Chris Pratt delivers with his performance as Peter Quill, but like everyone else says, Bradley Cooper as Rocket Raccoon steals the show. So maybe Batista as Drax comes off as bland and Ronan the Accuser is a pretty weak villain, but those are the only flaws in this film. The special effects and dialogue are top-notch, surpassing every Marvel film before it.

And the music - it's as if someone broke into Quentin Tarantino's place and stole a few of his records. Quill's Walkman and Awesome Mix Vol. 1 cassette tape really liven up the place with random '70s pop hits.

Oh yeah...

Howard lives!

Now that I've seen it in Digital 2D, it's time to check it out on IMAX this weekend.

Got back an hour ago from my 7:30 showing, I loved it. I don't read Marvel cosmic so I can safely say I'm not familiar with the GoG themselves, but seeing NOVA, Nowhere, and some other really cool, important, major locations in the cosmic universe was awesome. Remember people, this is a Marvel Studios film, stay after the credits, it's not a scene that I would call integral or even necessary, but in my opinion it was f!$@#%& hilarious.

Just got back from watching it.

Best way to describe the film: Stupid Fun :D !!

Half the time I'm just staring at the screen in disbelief. . . but in a good way. There's a nice balance of cheese, snark, and coolness throughout. That first off-Earth scene really sets the tone for the rest of the film.

Kudos to Marvel for pulling this one off.

. . . . . . And I SO want Awesome Mix, Vol. 1 and 2!

Lotta fun scenes I could reference, but I absolutely loved the "No Raccoons or Tree Creatures were harmed in the making of this film." tag at the end of the credits!

Edited by Mog

What. The. Hell...

That movie was awesome!

Okay I just finished watching and its officially my second favorite Marvel film slightly behind Avengers and displaced Iron Man to number 3. It really is that good!

Same here... but replace Avengers with Winter Soldier on my part...

It rocked, a lot of fun. Had to see it as an advance screening here and the audience was full of fan-boys and girls as a result, but we all had a good time.

Wife and I just saw it today. Loved it. Lots of good sci-fi content and funny dialog/moments. Have to agree that Ronan was a little flat as a villain, but I guess Kree fanatics bent on destruction aren't meant to be funny. Yondu was a good character, though. Overall, one of the best films I've seen this year.