Kurisama's Custom 1/60 Upgrades & Add-ons

Kurisama

Potentials for my next set of Custom Parts;  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Potentials for my next set of 1/60 Custom Parts;

• 1/60 APS-11 Armour for the VF-11
    • 1/60 '21 & '22 New Feet, Ankle and Shin parts to be Anime Accurate + other minor parts
    • 1/60 Queadluun Nona conversion pieces including new back-pack and new head sculpt
    • 1/60 Ghost X-9
    • 1/60 Anime-accurate GU-15 Gunpod for Arcadia YF-19
    • 1/60 Frontier FAST Packs for the Arcadia YF-19
    • Other? Please comment below!

:D Thanks Exo!

On a side note - got a rejection letter from Shapeways for the Vaj-tastic needle missiles... I skirted to close to the min tolerance for the material by 0.2 of a mm in the thickness of the missile walls (it's hollow) - so I'm now uploading the fixed version.

Apologies to the ppl that purchased it, it is being uploaded as we speak.

:D Thanks Exo!

On a side note - got a rejection letter from Shapeways for the Vaj-tastic needle missiles... I skirted to close to the min tolerance for the material by 0.2 of a mm in the thickness of the missile walls (it's hollow) - so I'm now uploading the fixed version.

Apologies to the ppl that purchased it, it is being uploaded as we speak.

If I may be so bold as to suggest something, how about a set of ARMD carriers for the old Matchbox SDF-1? I know they're not widespread, but maybe other folks besides myself who own the thing would be willing to shell out for a set?

Thanks, bought. Now make me my vf-17 bullpup. Oh, and homeworld cap ships. If you make them big, segmented models, I'll still buy them. Do it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

have you tried using alumide instead of white for your parts? I wonder how well metallic xeno-manipulator hands would work. I notice the pincers on my 1/60 Q-R are very loose and freely rotates on their own.

they mention it's brittle...

"Alumide is Nylon Plastic filled with Aluminum dust. This dust gives Alumide the sparkle, but also makes the material more brittle than the Strong & Flexible material."

I printed a medallion and earring for my wife a while back in alumide (polished)... seemed pretty strong - now, I've just grabbed one of the earrings about a mm thick on a partially rounded, concave sort-of shape (think High-Elf shield), pretty tough and took a bit of strong pressure to break it. Not as brittle as say, chalk. Like a tough slightly elastic chalk. Pretty strong for something that light weight. Even now, I could probably glue it back, not warping at all.

• 2 weeks later...

First, thanks for considering this! I can take some photos later tonight if nobody does before then. There are little folding triangular filler pieces on the bottom that break - these are more cosmetic than functional and I personally wouldn't even bother replacing them. The more serious breakage is the upper folding part with the NUNS logo. The main reason its so bad is because the NUNS parts are part of the assembly that holds the entire shoulder pad on.

Edited by eriku

I don't know if these will help, but here's some photos I took of the problem parts.

Intact NUNS part, forms the hinge/socket for the shoulder pads

post-430-0-39562900-1380254132_thumb.jpg

post-430-0-01771100-1380254168_thumb.jpg

Broken NUNS part

post-430-0-46990800-1380254196_thumb.jpg

Detailing how NUNS part works

post-430-0-32845800-1380254216_thumb.jpg

Bottom filler part intact (though heavily cracked)

post-430-0-03563900-1380254240_thumb.jpg

Bottom filler part broken

post-430-0-55198500-1380254263_thumb.jpg

Damn, doing a study of the parts... I see now why no one has stepped forward to tackle this - tricky, tricky.

The part with 'NUNS' printed on it seems the most straight-forward to craft. Fiddly, but do-able.

The lower, thin 2-part is going to be skirting the tolerances (read; possibility) of the material type with the strongest properties... Going to fiddle with it and see if it absolutely needs to be able to swing to transform.

I have some thinking to do...

But Bandai did do it already, use a more resilient plastic for the parts breaking on the 171 CF, that is. Alto's VF-171EX has the exact same design/engineering/molding and has had no such breakage issues reported; the problem with the CF is undoubtedly due to the use of either a lower quality/lower grade, cheaper plastic formulation, or some other change in their molding process (faster cycling time, change in molding temperature, something...) that results in ridiculously more brittle parts that can't handle the stresses present... stresses that were adequately addressed by the same parts on the EX model.

Edit: I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that one or more of the parts that need replication are too thin to be accepted by Shapeways.

Edited by mechaninac

That could work. Design the parts so their internal geometry matches that of the ones being replicated so that fit to the toy is guaranteed, and make the outward facing surfaces as thick as they need to be in order to meet shapeways minimal requirements; the buyer then has to file/sand down to the final thickness.

Still umming and aaring about the VF-171 parts... But inspired by forum member - MaidenJapan's work, I dusted off an old file and have finished this today;

post-1623-0-51036200-1380617011_thumb.jpg

Wasn't sure if I should post it here or in the Workshop! forum, but since I haven't got it in hand, thought I'd place it here. Going to upload it tonight and make it available at a discount for a limited amount of time, so peeps can get it and have a play around - I simply can't afford to pay $20 shipping plus I'm terribly poor at the moment...

Let me know if ya'll want a left-arm version too - or both left and right in the same order.

OH YES - I should mention this is designed to fit the NEW 1/60 VF-19 series, so the S, F, P and Kai - and assuming the new YF-19 from Arcadia uses the same mould for the forearm, this should fit that too.

Still a few details to tweak before the upload. Stay tuned.

Sexeh... As for the 171, I'll reiterate that I don't think replacements for the lower triangles should fold. The damn things are fiddly enough when they're in good shape. I'd say, if they're broken, dealing with a removable replacement just makes everything easier.

Still umming and aaring about the VF-171 parts... But inspired by forum member - MaidenJapan's work, I dusted off an old file and have finished this today;

attachicon.gifYF-19_Arm_Cannon_01.jpg

Wasn't sure if I should post it here or in the Workshop! forum, but since I haven't got it in hand, thought I'd place it here. Going to upload it tonight and make it available at a discount for a limited amount of time, so peeps can get it and have a play around - I simply can't afford to pay $20 shipping plus I'm terribly poor at the moment...

Let me know if ya'll want a left-arm version too - or both left and right in the same order.

OH YES - I should mention this is designed to fit the NEW 1/60 VF-19 series, so the S, F, P and Kai - and assuming the new YF-19 from Arcadia uses the same mould for the forearm, this should fit that too.

Still a few details to tweak before the upload. Stay tuned.

Wow, you and Maiden had pretty much the same idea for implementation.