001.jpg

Kamen Rider Wizard (仮面ライダーウィザード) is the 14th Heisei-era Kamen Rider series and 23rd overall in the franchise. It premieres on September 2, one week after the disastrous Kamen Rider Fourze ends its run (thankfully).

The motif of the series is magic, much like the 2005 Super Sentai series Mahou Sentai Magiranger (Power Rangers Mystic Force). Kamen Rider's henshin belt is called the Wizard Driver, which enables him to change into different elemental styles using special rings. After the piss-poor Fourze, I really dig the Wizard suit; the trenchcoat really adds flair to it.

Kamen Rider Wizard will make his debut in the summer film Kamen Rider Fourze the Movie: Minna de Uchuu Kitaa! on August 4.

Official Site

I'm still waiting on something dark and kick ass esque which hasn't happened in nearly 7 years.

You have to remember target audience of Kamen Rider. I think some Riders in past 7 years are dark enough for kids' show.

Why is Kamen Rider Fourze considered a disaster?

Personally, I thought it was an insult to the whole Kamen Rider franchise. The outfit is the worst of all the Kamen Rider designs and the comedic premise really puts the show out of touch with hardcore fans.

I grew up watching the original Kamen Rider series and Kamen Rider BLACK, and while I enjoyed Kamen Rider 555 and Kamen Rider W, I haven't seen the rest of the Heisei-era shows to fully judge them. On the other hand, I gave up on Fourze after the first three episodes. Sure, it may be a hit with the kids, but that's about it.

Here's hoping that Wizard makes up for Fourze's mistakes.

Hm yes. Decade probably made me feel a little better about the direction the Heisei era of riders has been handled lately. I loved Kuuga, and Agito, Faiz (horrible ending), Kabuto (though weak in the last dozen episodes) and Decade. I think if anything using "pretty boys" to relate to the younger crowd is almost insulting to the franchise.

I need a Kamen Rider series that's dark, mysterious, full of drama and suspense. One moment you think an episode is going to go one way and it flips and goes somewhere else leaving your jaw shattered like glass on the floor.

I haven't seen that in a long time.

Hm yes. Decade probably made me feel a little better about the direction the Heisei era of riders has been handled lately. I loved Kuuga, and Agito, Faiz (horrible ending), Kabuto (though weak in the last dozen episodes) and Decade. I think if anything using "pretty boys" to relate to the younger crowd is almost insulting to the franchise.

I need a Kamen Rider series that's dark, mysterious, full of drama and suspense. One moment you think an episode is going to go one way and it flips and goes somewhere else leaving your jaw shattered like glass on the floor.

I haven't seen that in a long time.

Have you picked up Kamen Rider W yet?

I dig the costume. I hear what other people are saying.. how they want a dark and suspenseful Kamen rider a la Kamen Rider Black. I just can't see current Kamen riders heading in that direction anymore. It seems the target audience they are trying to reach is much broader. As such, they are making costumes more colorful and using more comedy. I sort of lost interest after Den O. Faiz was pretty good but man that was a while a go and yes, the ending sucked. kabuto was decent but the last few episodes also felt rushed. I haven't seen Kuuga or Agito. Are they worth it?

...comedic premise really puts the show out of touch with hardcore fans.

...I haven't seen the rest of the Heisei-era shows to fully judge them.

Have you watched Den-O? I don't like Den-O myself, but nobody can't deny how wildly poplar it is. Multiple movies, far exceeding any other heisei shows, spin-off anime for the imagin, etc. You get the idea, comedic premise sold well and that's what Toei care about. For hardcore longtime fans...maybe just movies like The First and manga like Spirits. Similar to Gundam and Macross, it's standard business model for longtime, decades-old franchise.

I haven't seen Kuuga or Agito. Are they worth it?

Oh yes they do. I like to think of them as "J-Drama with kamen rider in it". They're the last of non-toyetic/gimmicky/colorful rider.

• 1 month later...

ep01screen.jpg
Kamen Rider Wizard (仮面ライダーウィザード)
Ishimori Productions/Asatsu DK/TV Asahi/Toei Co. Ltd., 2012
Not sure if Saban would be interested in this...
Directed by Shojiro Nakazawa (Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger, Samurai Sentai Shinkenger) and Satoshi Morota (Kamen Rider W, Kamen Rider OOO)
Written by Tsuyoshi Kida (Kamen Rider Hibiki) and Junko Komura (Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger, Hikounin Sentai Akibaranger)
Based on Kamen Rider created by the late Shotaro Ishinomori (1938-1998) (Cyborg 009, Android Kikaider)
Running Time: 23 minutes per episode
Not Rated (Suggested TV-PG). Contains martial arts violence and mild language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzmFwzB55EQ&hd=1

"Driver On, Please."

"Shabadoobee Touch Henshin! Shabadoobee Touch Henshin!"

"Henshin!"

Cast
Shunya Shiraishi (Hiroto in Gantz) as Haruto Sohma/Kamen Rider Wizard

Tasuku Nagase as Kosuke Nito/Kamen Rider Beast
Makoto Okunaka :wub: (of the idol group Passpo) as Koyomi
Junki Tozuka as Shunpei Nara
Yuko Takayama :wub: as Rinko Daimon
Hisahiro Ogura as Shigeru Wajima
Erika Nakayama :wub: as Misa (Medusa)
Atsumi as Yugo (Phoenix)
Hiroaki Hirata (Kaburagi/Wild Tiger in Tiger & Bunny, Albert in Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War) as the Narrator

"Flame, Please!"
"It's Showtime!"

Episode 1: "The Ringed Wizard" (指輪の魔法使い)
Long ago, magic and science worked together in harmony; but with the advancement of civilization, magic was long forgotten. In present-day Tokyo, Phantoms - mysterious beings formed from the despair of humanity - appear from out of nowhere and render the police incapable of stopping them. But there is one who wields the power of magic to protect mankind from the new threat: Kamen Rider Wizard.

After saving the police from the Phantom Minotauros and his Ghouls, Haruto Sohma is promptly arrested by rookie detective Rinko Daimon. Little does Rinko know that the source of the Phantom threat is within the police force.

"Le Patch Magic Touch Go! Le Patch Magic Touch Go!"

"Connect, Please!"

Lowdown
Wow... this guy really knows how to make an entrance. Kamen Rider Wizard wastes no time in dishing out the action with some of the best fight choreography in Kamen Rider history. It's as if the stunt team took notes from Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger and watched some of Garo while they were at it. Hell, you could probably consider this as "Garo for kids". Plus, for the first time in a long time, we have foot soldiers for our hero to beat up every week. Of course, the pilot episode doesn't give much away in terms of introducing the characters, but the action makes up for the lack of character development and keeps viewers wanting for more.

"C'mon and shoot! Shake hands!"

As for the magic motif, it actually works with Kamen Rider - once you get used to all the random Engrish yelled by the equipment. The trenchcoat suit looked great in the promo shots, but it's absolutely badass in action. The use of different rings is nothing short of ingenious, with the four main rings changing him into different elements while the other rings emitting different attacks or summoning plastic model familiars called Plamonsters. And the Machine Winger is undoubtedly one of the better-looking Kamen Rider bikes out there.

"Chōīne! Kick Strike! Saikō!"

So if you haven't seen Kamen Rider Wizard yet, go watch it now. It has the potential to rival Kamen Rider W as the best Heisei-era Kamen Rider series.

Rating: B+

Next week, on Kamen Rider Wizard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvNq67zx4KM&hd=1

Episode 2: "I Want to Be a Wizard" (魔法使いになりたい)
Just what every Kamen Rider needs: an annoying sidekick.

Links
TV Asahi's Official Kamen Rider Wizard Homepage
Toei's Official Kamen Rider Wizard Homepage

References
JEFusion Edited by areaseven

That was pretty entertaining! I think the choreography is awesome and the magic rings motif multiforms are pretty cool. It's definitely still aimed at kids with comedic elements like the silly henshin prompting phrases "shabadoobie touch to henshin".

On this week's episode of Kamen Rider Wizard:

ep02screen.jpg

Episode 2: "I Want to Be a Wizard" (魔法使いになりたい)

Medusa and Phoenix summon the Phantom Hellhound to target another Gate, thus prompting Kamen Rider Wizard to once again go into battle. After the fight, Haruto meets Shunpei Nara, a rather obnoxious guy who wants to learn magic.

ep02screen01.jpg

For this episode, we are introduced to the annoying sidekick - a staple in many Kamen Rider titles. Shunpei is almost as irritating as Gai Ikari of Gokaiger; maybe even worse eventually throughout the series. We also discover that he does indeed wield fire-based magic. Whether or not he will be the secondary Kamen Rider is yet to be seen.

ep02screen02.jpg

One thing about the Kamen Rider series is that like Super Sentai, the shows are filled with hot babes. Medusa-chan is no exception.

ep02screen03.jpg

This episode also brings light to how Haruto became Kamen Rider Wizard. Six months ago, he and Koyomi-chan were kidnapped and forced into despair in a solar eclipse ritual, but Haruto found a way to contain the Phantom within him; thus he was granted the Wizardriver and Wizard Rings from a mysterious being.

ep02screen04.jpg

And here's something we haven't seen in a while: a motorcycle chase/bike-fu scene. While not as dynamic as episode 3 of Garo: Makai Senki, this scene is more than adequate to keep viewers glued to their screens. I can't wait to see what happens on next week's episode.

Next week, on Kamen Rider Wizard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfbRwqGRIdE&hd=1

Episode 3: "Transform! Live Broadcast" (変身!生中継)

Now that Shunpei has discovered his powers, he's about to show them off on TV. But Hellhound is still intent on converting him into a Phantom.

sidekick.png

ep03screen.jpg

Episode 3: "Transform! Live Broadcast" (変身!生中継)

Now that Shunpei has discovered he has fire-wielding abilities, he's given an opportunity to show them off on a morning news show. But Haruto suspects this as another Phantom ploy to send Shunpei into despair.

ep03screen01.jpg

This show is progressively getting better with each episode, as we get to know more about the core characters. We get more fights, more CG effects, and...

biohazardpromo.jpg

Milla Jovovich?!? Yup, TV Asahi aired Resident Evil: Afterlife to promote Resident Evil: Retribution.

Back to the episode...

We learn that Hellhound, last week's Phantom, has more tricks up his sleeve. But once again, our hero prevails while introducing a handful of new powers...

ep03screen02.jpg

... and a big boot for a completely epic Rider Kick.

ep03screen03.jpg

ep03screen04.jpg

Rinko-chan and Koyomi-chan are just so kawaii!

Next week on Kamen Rider Wizard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg6vDY6tVBQ&hd=1

Episode 4: "The Doll and the Pianist" (人形とピアニスト)

Trouble arises when Koyomi-chan suddenly loses consciousness.

• 2 weeks later...

ep04screen.jpg

Episode 4: "The Doll and the Pianist" (人形とピアニスト)

Medusa and Phoenix send the Phantom Caitsith to target a new Gate in the form of a gifted pianist. But Koyomi becomes very worried when Haruto goes out to battle the Phantom.

ep04screen01.jpg

In this episode, we learn that Kamen Rider Wizard's power has a critical limitation: the use of mana. From what we know so far, only Haruto and Koyomi-chan possess mana and transfer it between themselves. And Haruto has to make sure to keep a lot of mana with him when he becomes Kamen Rider Wizard, or it would be disastrous.

ep04screen02.jpg

ep04screen05.jpg

We are also introduced to the Phantom Caitsith, played by Ivorian martial artist Bernard Ackah. He does look badass, but is very cowardly in combat. At the same time, Wizard in his Water Style shows off his Liquid form, which is a nod to Kamen Rider BLACK RX's Bio Rider form.

ep04screen03.jpg

Ah, the cold stare of Medusa-chan...

ep04screen04.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4VrByCzb_g&hd=1

Episode 5: "The Deciding Match of the Contest" (決戦のコンクール)

The rematch between Wizard and Caitsith over the fate of the pianist.

In this episode, we learn that Kamen Rider Wizard's power has a critical limitation: the use of mana. From what we know so far, only Haruto and Koyomi-chan possess mana and transfer it between themselves. And Haruto has to make sure to keep a lot of mana with him when he becomes Kamen Rider Wizard, or it would be disastrous.

Hey, watch were that hand goes. This is a kids' show. :lol:

ep05screen.jpg

Episode 5: "The Deciding Match of the Contest" (決戦のコンクール)

Caitsith escapes after Kamen Rider Wizard runs out of mana. Koyomi blames herself for this mishap, as Haruto used much of his mana to bring her back to life. And why is Tagaki eager to bring himself into despair?

ep05screen01.jpg

ep05screen02.jpg

Now here's an unusual turn of events. In the past couple of episodes, Koyomi-chan has come off as rather cold. Well, that's because she really is cold. It turns out that she was a Gate whose Phantom had fully manifested during the solar eclipse incident months ago. She should've died that day, but for some reason, her body is still alive, despite having lost all memories of her past life (though her skills in origami crafting may hint of her memories slowly returning). And in order for her to survive, Haruto must supply her with mana regularly. Oh yeah, that means Haruto has to eat a lot of plain sugar donuts to build up his mana.

ep05screen03.jpg

For the rematch, Wizard introduces the Copy Magic Ring, which enables him to make multiple copies of himself to battle a large number of Ghouls. Pretty nifty trick, but up to how many duplicates can he make?

ep05screen04.jpg

Episode 6: "The Flowers Are Beautiful" (キレイな花には)

Who's this hottie that's sticking close to Haruto?

ep06screen.jpg

Episode 6: "To a Beautiful Flower" (キレイな花には)

Special Guest: Wakana Matsumoto :wub: (Airi in Kamen Rider Den-O) as Manami Kawasaki

ep06screen01.jpg

Shunpei, Wajima and the donut shop worker fall for a gorgeous woman named Manami Kawasaki. However, she and another man are targeted by the Phantom Gnome.

ep06screen02.jpg

This week's episode is okay, but pretty predictable with its shallow romance angle. And we have yet another cliffhanger ending. At least Wakana-chan is as gorgeous as ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZF9QhDy6uY&hd=1

Episode 7: "Buying Memories" (思い出を買うために)

Can Haruto save Manami-chan from despair?

Edited by areaseven

• 2 weeks later...

ep07screen.jpg

Episode 7: "Buying Memories" (思い出を買うために)

Special Guest: Wakana Matsumoto :wub: (Airi in Kamen Rider Den-O) as Manami Kawasaki

ep07screen01.jpg

The Phantom Gnome has escaped from his battle with Kamen Rider Wizard, but Manami has run off after everyone has discovered that she is a con artist. Gnome, however, is still intent on sending Manami into despair.

ep07screen02.jpg

This two-part story arc has been entertaining for the most part due to the excellent fight choreography. We learn that Manami-chan has been scamming people for money in order to save up and buy a house she used to live in during her childhood, especially after finding out that it's due for demolition. And so what does Gnome do? He simply sets the house on fire, but in the end, the plan backfires on him and Kamen Rider Wizard puts him out of his misery with a new Magic Ring and a twist (literally) to his Rider Kick.

ep07screen05.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOMP4XUpjR8&hd=1

Episode 8: "A New Magic Stone" (新たな魔宝石)

Phoenix is pissed, so now he comes out for Wizard's blood.

Edited by areaseven

ep08screen.jpg

Episode 8: "A New Magic Stone" (新たな魔宝石)

ep08screen02.jpg

After saving a kid named Hiroki from a Ghoul attack, Haruto discovers that Hiroki's mother is someone he knew from his past. Haruto and the gang have Hiroki sleep over at the antique shop, where Hiroki reveals his issues with his parents. Meanwhile, Wiseman devises a plan for Phoenix to bring Hiroki into despair and defeat Kamen Rider Wizard at the same time.

ep08screen03.jpg

We're at our third two-parter arc, and this is the darkest of them. Here, we see that Haruto was orphaned at a young age after his parents died in a car accident. We also get a very brief glimpse of Wiseman, the leader of the Phantoms. And finally, we see just how lethal Phoenix is as he battles Kamen Rider Wizard and sends him back to school.

ep08screen01.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfLaMn6E4Ro&hd=1

Episode 9: "The Dragon's Cry" (ドラゴンの叫び)

Haruto must unlock the potential of his inner Phantom to be a match against Phoenix.

Edited by areaseven

ep09screen.jpg

Episode 9: "The Dragon's Cry" (ドラゴンの叫び)

Down, but not out, Haruto is given a new ring to battle Phoenix and save Hiroki and his parents. But he is warned by his inner Phantom that further use of his new power will send him closer to despair.

ep09screen01.jpg

Isn't it a bit early to introduce a power-up? Nevertheless, we see some fine swordplay between Kamen Rider Wizard and Phoenix - especially with Wizard being able to create two Wizarswordguns using his Copy Magic Ring. And the Flame Dragon Style doesn't look bad; of course, the regular style looks better, but this form is majestic in its own right.

ep09screen02.jpg

Aside from this, we see just how ruthless Phoenix is as a villain. He goes on to inflict injury on both of Hiroki's parents as a means to send the kid to despair, but he doesn't stop there. He goes on to terrorize the hospital, but he gets his just desserts in the end - despite narrowly surviving Wizard's new finisher.

ep09screen03.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1MD-7ehyfQ

Episode 10: "National Security Agency Section Zero" (国家安全局0課)

The mysterious government men in black abduct Wajima, while another kid is being forced into despair.

• 3 weeks later...

ep10screen.jpg

Episode 10: "National Security Agency Section Zero" (国家安全局0課)

Kizaki and his NSA Section Zero abduct Wajima for a top-secret project. Meanwhile, the latest Gate to be targeted is a boy from Kizaki's past.

ep10screen01.jpg

After several episodes in secrecy, we slowly begin to learn more about Section Zero's true motives. While Kizaki sees Haruto as a potential threat due to the Phantom within him, he needs Wajima to craft a ring out of a stone his outfit had acquired. Still, there's a lot that Kizaki is hiding from everyone, especially the Gate whose father was his mentor. Meanwhile, the Phantom of the week is Gargoyle, who has the ability to turn his body into stone, making himself impervious to attacks.

ep10screen02.jpg

We also learn that Phoenix lives up to his name by having the ability to resurrect after being killed by Kamen Rider Wizard in the last episode. However, he will need time to fully recover before we see a rematch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2xSLTHLeMg&hd=1

Episode 11: "A Promise to Defend" (守り抜く約束)

Kizaki shows that he's not all that bad.

ep11screen.jpg

Episode 11: "A Promise to Defend" (守り抜く約束)

ep11screen01.jpg

Gargoyle retreats from his battle with Kamen Rider Wizard, but Medusa and Phoenix devise a new scheme for the Phantom to bring Naoki to despair. Meanwhile, Haruto suspects that Kizaki is keeping the truth about Naoki's father from the boy.

ep11screen02.jpg

Kizaki goes to show that unlike the typical government goon in a tokusatsu series, he does have the balls to fend off against an army of mooks, despite obviously being no match for them. Phoenix returns to action to once again kick Wizard's ass. In the end, Wizard gains Kizaki's trust and acquires a new Magic Stone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMmxG3H1aLU&hd=1

Episode 12: "The Wagashi of Hope" (希望の和菓子)

Time to try out a new Magic Ring.

ep12screen.jpg

Episode 12: "The Wagashi of Hope" (希望の和菓子)

ep12screen01.jpg

Shunpei meets up with an old friend named Tetsuya, who is suddenly targeted as a Gate by the latest Phantom. When the attack costs Tetsuya's wagashi (Japanese confectionery) shop an important client, Shunpei does whatever he can to help keep the business out of the red.

If you've ever been curious about Japanese cuisine, this episode will give you a short look at how confectionery such as manju is made. Also, we get to see Wizard's latest power-ups: the Hurricane Dragon and the Thunder attack.

Episode 13: "The Heir to the Dream" (夢を継ぐ者)

Is Haruto's new power-up enough to save the day?

• 1 month later...

Can't believe it's been over a month since I posted an episode review. Here's the most recent episode:

ep17screen_zps964111e9.jpg

Episode 17: "Another Wizard" (もう一人の魔法使い)

Introducing: Tasuku Nagase as Kosuke Nito/Kamen Rider Beast

ep17screen01_zps93b9eee0.jpg

Wiseman sends the Phantom Manticore to hunt down a lone backpacker. But when Haruto interferes, he gets stung by the Phantom's venomous tail and is sent on the verge of death.

ep17screen02_zps2605a855.jpg

It's that time of the show where we're introduced to the second Kamen Rider of the series. Kosuke Nito is a backpacker who prefers to put mayonnaise on any meal, but as Kamen Rider Beast, he gives the series the pace it needs after a month's worth of fillers. His suit looks impressive and his powers are equally awesome. And right after saving the day, he arrogantly labels Haruto as his rival before flying off. These next few episodes will be interesting for both Riders.

ep17screen03_zpse348154c.jpg

Next time, on Kamen Rider Wizard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RO9w-BG-LQ

Episode 18: "Wizardry Eating" (魔力が食事)

Can these two Riders get along with each other?

• 1 month later...