Can't find another place to put this...:

picked up the "Neon Genesis Evangelion Volume 13 Calling Premium Edition" today.

Who'd have thought, a boxed set for a manga collection? Goodies that come with the manga collection (not sure how different the "premium edition" is compared to the regular addition, beyond pasting "premium edition" in a few places):

- 3D Rei & Asuka image

- 6 postcards of paintings of Eva characters by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (I don't follow his work much, so I can't really say if they've been printed elsewhere beforehand. But they do give the impression that they haven't.)

- "Original Artworks": 50 pg book collecting a selection of the splash pages from Chapter 6 to Chapter 90. As such, not much of it is new, but it's nice to have it in one handy place.

Linky (w/ preview of the postcards): http://www.evastore....e/B5000913.html

Linky (w/ description): http://www.animate.c...k/120502eva_13/

I actually preordered this ages ago and had forgotten all about it, until I got an email from CD Japan saying they had dispatched it to me. I can't wait for checking out the extras.

In regards to Evangelion Q, like Keith I really do hope that there's another Hong Kong english subtitled edition. For 2.22 there was spanish, french, german and italian language versions out for months before Funimation finally released their english version.

These rebuilds are better than the original IMO. Shinji was so annoying and girly on the series...

I've seen variants of this same argument from people who like the movies but hate the series AND from people who like the series but hate the movies (basically, that it's either great that Shinji "finally manned-up" or that it's terrible to see a "manned-up" Shinji)... and frankly, I don't buy it either way.

Now, I realize that all giant robot shows are basically adolescent wish-fulfillment. All 13- or 14-year-old boys wish they had some powerful machine they could smash stuff with... but to me, Shinji put some added realism into the mix.

Here's a kid who is going out and risking his life...and getting hurt. VERY hurt. A LOT.

Most of us try to avoid painful situations, which is what Shinji does. Confronted with such monumental expectations (and the probability of serious injury or death involved), most of us wouldn't jump at the chance to confront it.

When you're facing an enemy that overpowers you by quite a fair margin, wanting to run away isn't "girly," it's sensible. Shinji's dilemma is that if he runs away, there's no place to run to, because there's no real "back up" to take his place. This seems to me an honest and reasonable dilemma. You WANT to run away, it's LOGICAL to run away, so you TRY to run away... but where do you go?

On the other hand, however, you've got people saying that Shinji was too "manly" in 2.0, apparently forgetting that he was just as decisive in the corresponding episode of the TV series (Ep. 19, but who's counting?), realizing that HE was the only one who could save the world. It was all pretty much the same.

(And anyway, he gets decisive, he fights and defeats the 14th Angel... what does he get? More suffering and pain. If someone said, "Hey, Gian, let's fight... and somehow they take off your left arm... and then they say, "Hey, let's fight again" and take off one of your legs... how many times would you accept their challenges to fight? How much would you have to lose before you gave up and walked away?)

My point being: I don't think TV Shinji is "girly," and I don't think movie Shinji is "manly." They seem pretty much the same to me...but TV Shinji definitely delivers less on the "Oh-man-that's-so-cool-let-me-live-out-my-power-fantasies-with-this-character" fanservice.

Edited by Gubaba

Oh, you say "girly" like it's a bad thing. Associated with weakness, even.

I'm a little more rigid than Gubaba up there: Shinji in the original TV series and movie was one of my favourite characters ever, and in Rebuild, he's just...boring.

He's boring because, yes, his fear and anguish are toned down, and that was what made him interesting. It was a portrayal that pulled no punches, and was poignant, heartfelt, and realistic.

However, even though the belief of that Shinji has finally "manned up" has turned me off Rebuild, it's exaggerated. Shinji is toned down, but he's still recognizable as Shinji Ikari, and I don't get what everyone is so gung-ho about, what's converting the Evangelion haters after all this time.

This is especially true of the scene when he rescues Rei from Zeruel. While it's different in the film, in the TV series, Shinji was totally willing to fight back against Zeruel, it's just that his power ran out. Had it continued to function, he would have been completely capable of reaching into a void to rescue Rei. Shinji came back to help them in the first place, after all.

As for the trailer, I'm uncertain about how adding a new character is going to work, what with the burden of having to develop her as a character on top of the need to give Mari more substance. But I am hoping for more pain and anguish, something to make me enjoy Rebuild as much as everyone else does.

I grew up on Evangelion after Macross, and for me Rebuild is far better in character development. Actually like that little is known about Mari, leaves something for the auidance's minds to play.

The less known about certain cool characters, just makes them cooler, like Boba Fett until the prequels. :angry:

As for the Eva haters bashing the continuous introductions of new characters, well it adds that bit of realism. The end of humanity surely cannot revolve on the scharacters from beginning to end.

And who says she's a new main character? Could very well be a pretty extra or...

another clone of Shinji's mom?

:p

I still think that the TV Shinji VS Rebuild Shinji argument isnt' worth worrying about at the moment with the possibility that the Rebuild films are set *AFTER* the TV series. (I know a lot aren't buying it, but it is still possible).

I still love the take that several of the fanfics have gone with... that all of the "canon" endings are actually happening simultaneously in various dimensions of the multi-verse, or possibly are all repeated iterations of the same events, similar to the "Everything has happened before, and will happen again" attitude seen in BSG.

It actually makes a ton of sense in some ways though. One fanfic actually goes so far as to explain that the other Shinji that appears in Shinji's thought processes is actually another Shinji from an alternate universe, and has his alternate self commenting on the differences between them. Yeah, they really have no fourth wall.

Ridiculous as they are, I'd really love to see some of the fanfics done up as actual animation, just because they'd be so insane. "Nobody Dies" and "Shinji and Warhammer 40K" in particular, just because I seriously want to see the hilarious nonsense they deal with in real time. Gendo having a fight to the death with President Stephen Colbert comes to mind, or one of the Eva's somehow picking up an AI personality based on a mix of Optimus Prime, Liberty Prime, and Robo-Nixon. :lol:

I still love the take that several of the fanfics have gone with... that all of the "canon" endings are actually happening simultaneously in various dimensions of the multi-verse, or possibly are all repeated iterations of the same events, similar to the "Everything has happened before, and will happen again" attitude seen in BSG.

It actually makes a ton of sense in some ways though. One fanfic actually goes so far as to explain that the other Shinji that appears in Shinji's thought processes is actually another Shinji from an alternate universe, and has his alternate self commenting on the differences between them. Yeah, they really have no fourth wall.

Ridiculous as they are, I'd really love to see some of the fanfics done up as actual animation, just because they'd be so insane. "Nobody Dies" and "Shinji and Warhammer 40K" in particular, just because I seriously want to see the hilarious nonsense they deal with in real time. Gendo having a fight to the death with President Stephen Colbert comes to mind, or one of the Eva's somehow picking up an AI personality based on a mix of Optimus Prime, Liberty Prime, and Robo-Nixon. :lol:

Reading the last paragraph of this post reminded me of the ending of 2001:A Space Odyssey. Good work.

I grew up on Evangelion after Macross, and for me Rebuild is far better in character development. Actually like that little is known about Mari, leaves something for the auidance's minds to play.

I don't like the idea of characters in a story as "blank slates" for the audience to project themselves onto/create their own image of. It just means the world isn't fully realized, or there's some mercenary reason for keeping the characters that simple. (like selling more PVC statues, eh?)

As for the Eva haters bashing the continuous introductions of new characters, well it adds that bit of realism. The end of humanity surely cannot revolve on the scharacters from beginning to end.

And who says she's a new main character? Could very well be a pretty extra or...

another clone of Shinji's mom?

:p

Stories can't involve everyone. And 'cause this is a work of fiction, we have to ask what the new characters bring to the dynamics and plot.

I don't like the idea of characters in a story as "blank slates" for the audience to project themselves onto/create their own image of. It just means the world isn't fully realized, or there's some mercenary reason for keeping the characters that simple. (like selling more PVC statues, eh?)

Stories can't involve everyone. And 'cause this is a work of fiction, we have to ask what the new characters bring to the dynamics and plot.

I think it should be pretty obvious who and what Mari is, i.e.

Seele's Shinji. She's got too much knowledge of everything going on "not" to be working directly for Seele. This would also relegate Kowaru into his more appropriate role of Seele's Rei, since it never did make sense for Adam to be taking such an agro role in the series, or perhaps Seele just doesn't put the same faith into the dummy plug system that Gendo does.

I think it should be pretty obvious who and what Mari is, i.e.

Seele's Shinji. She's got too much knowledge of everything going on "not" to be working directly for Seele. This would also relegate Kowaru into his more appropriate role of Seele's Rei, since it never did make sense for Adam to be taking such an agro role in the series, or perhaps Seele just doesn't put the same faith into the dummy plug system that Gendo does.

I actually suspect Mari to be what you said, an agent for Seele, perhaps a double agent for a deeper agenda? Or an agent for the UN.

Or it just means that in two hours not every character can primary time. Again, just because this new character appears in the trailer, doesn't mean she has a pivotal role, maybe she's just an extra new cadet on the Magi system?

Characters can also be background props for extra realism.

That's not what I mean. There's a difference between a character being of a lower rank in the story, and being a blank slate. One doesn't have to mean the other. Evangelion is actually a great example of characters who aren't part of the main cast who get great development. Or the original Macross.

Mari isn't like that. She just isn't much of a character yet, and if the narrative now adds another new character to develop, it's going to be harder to develop a consistent whole.

Likewise, the need for "background props" doesn't necessitate creating a new character. If you're going to the effort of introducing a new character to the EVA universe, you should develop them, because otherwise there's no point in adding a new character at all.

Fair enough, not going to argue there.

However, there's no real evidence that new girl with pink hair has a pivotal role.

And Mari's story most likely will unfold in the next film.

Edited by Omegablue

I still think that the TV Shinji VS Rebuild Shinji argument isnt' worth worrying about at the moment with the possibility that the Rebuild films are set *AFTER* the TV series. (I know a lot aren't buying it, but it is still possible).

I think you're missing my point...which is that TV Shinji isn't "weak" or "girly," he's actually quite strong.

I love EVA the series. I love the old movies. I love the new movies.

I like each incarnation of Shinji for different reasons.

I get something different from it each time I watch it. One of my favorite franchises of all time. :)

I also love Unit-02... so needless to say, I'm anxiously awaiting this movie.

Edited by Max Jenius

I think you're missing my point...which is that TV Shinji isn't "weak" or "girly," he's actually quite strong.

No I get your point, don't worry about that. Personally I think that the Rebuild Shinji is just less hesitant than the TV series version. Thats all. I am more concerned about what they have been doing to Rei in the Rebuild series. As much as I love the Rebuild films, I was concerned about her efforts to get Shinji to have a better relationship with his father in the second film. I can see the logic of it, that part of her character can be seen as the Yui in Rei trying to bring the two together, but I think that the more insular, embittered and ultimately defiant Rei from the TV series and original films ("I am not your doll") was a stronger character, not just worried about pleasing others.

No I get your point, don't worry about that. Personally I think that the Rebuild Shinji is just less hesitant than the TV series version. Thats all. I am more concerned about what they have been doing to Rei in the Rebuild series. As much as I love the Rebuild films, I was concerned about her efforts to get Shinji to have a better relationship with his father in the second film. I can see the logic of it, that part of her character can be seen as the Yui in Rei trying to bring the two together, but I think that the more insular, embittered and ultimately defiant Rei from the TV series and original films ("I am not your doll") was a stronger character, not just worried about pleasing others.

That was Rei III, who may not make an appearence, at least not yet.

That defient Rei was actually Lilith, and as of yet we don't know if Rei will regain that part of her soul in these films.

I saw the original series, back when it was first released. I quite enjoyed it, but since then, I have not watched any of the movies / series etc.

Where do I begin [again] - see what I did there? ;)

Keen to see the current state of Evangelion, but I'm not sure if I want to watch EVERYTHING. Anyone has a guide to what movie I should watch next, etc?

I saw the original series, back when it was first released. I quite enjoyed it, but since then, I have not watched any of the movies / series etc.

Where do I begin [again] - see what I did there? ;)

Keen to see the current state of Evangelion, but I'm not sure if I want to watch EVERYTHING. Anyone has a guide to what movie I should watch next, etc?

No guide but I'd say it'd be enough if you watch 3 films after the original TV series..

Did you watch 'End of Evangelion'? That would be a start if you only saw the series. It can be considered either a re-telling or an alternate version to the series ending episodes 25 and 26. The DVD is still around on a couple of online retailers.

After that watch the 2 Rebuild of Evangelion films that have been released on BD/DVD so far; Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone and Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance. They have been released nearly everywhere (including Australia with the excellent Madman editions) and are easy to get.

Did you watch 'End of Evangelion'? That would be a start if you only saw the series. It can be considered either a re-telling or an alternate version to the series ending episodes 25 and 26.

It may be better to consider them to be the yin and yang of the exact same event. The TV episodes 25 and 26 are a positive conclusion to the character stories, whereas the movie episodes 25 and 26 are a nihilistic conclusion of the narrative story.

It might also be helpful to keep in mind when watching the movie ending that they come from a director's who's pissed off at the obsessed fans, because they didn't understand the ending of the show and sent death threats among their pleas to get a narrative conclusion! One of which, if memory serves, actually appears in the movie.!! :fear:

Edited by sketchley

It may be better to consider them to be the yin and yang of the exact same event. The TV episodes 25 and 26 are a positive conclusion to the character stories, whereas the movie episodes 25 and 26 are a nihilistic conclusion of the narrative story.

That depends on if you think Instrumentality is a good ending or bad ending for mankind... Me, I lean towards the latter...

That depends on if you think Instrumentality is a good ending or bad ending for mankind... Me, I lean towards the latter...

I'm more into open ended things. TV series ending of "EVA", the ending of "2001", no explanation why Peter Parker lost his powers in "Spiderman 2"*, things like that.

* Do you have cable? They've been marathoning all 3 movies on Movie Plus this past week.

Edited by sketchley

I'm more into open ended things. TV series ending of "EVA", the ending of "2001", no explanation why Peter Parker lost his powers in "Spiderman 2"*, things like that.

I like that too, and EoE seems to me to be just as open ended as the series.

* Do you have cable? They've been marathoning all 3 movies on Movie Plus this past week.

Don't need it. I have all the DVDs.

Don't need it. I have all the DVDs.

Oh, man, you're missing out. Aside from such things as the weekly broadcasts of Macross on Animax, you could also catch up on the classics. Like Gatcha Man!

"誰だ!誰だ!誰だ!ガっ茶マン!"

Anyhow, back to EVA - had an interesting conversation with a class of grade 12 students yesterday. They are all aware of EVA, especially the upcoming movie, but apparently, had only the vaguest idea of the events of the original series, let alone how old it is. Actually overheard a few Ss saying in hushed voices "that was before I was born."

Sadly, they were completely blown away when told that there's a flesh and blood creature inside of EVA... makes me wonder what they were watching; doesn't the flesh and blood interior of the EVA make an appearance in the rebuild movies?!?

Sadly, they were completely blown away when told that there's a flesh and blood creature inside of EVA... makes me wonder what they were watching; doesn't the flesh and blood interior of the EVA make an appearance in the rebuild movies?!?

It does.

Eva: Q's first 6 minutes was aired on Nihon TV... What was happened after the "You Can (Not) Advance" story???

Pod 2' is recovered Unit 02's one, Pod 8 is Unit 08's (Mari's pink Eva), I think.

I have to go to watch it...

Anyway, Mari's VA is Maaya Sakamoto, hm. As a Macross F's fan, I feel so interested. She played Ranka's mother, Ranshe and sang "Triangler" song in Macross F.

Postscript.

http://youtu.be/gV4jBw9Tu2k

Edited by antibiotictab