ROBOTECH- VALKYRIE PROYECTO

Eh, I highly doubt Harmony Gold sent that cease and desist out of petty jealousy. They need any new material like a man dying of thirst needs water.

My guess is that someone at Warner Bros. saw these videos and threatened Harmony Gold with a breach of contract. Remember, Warner Bros. paid for the exclusive right to make a Robotech movie(s), and here goes Harmony Gold permitting Creavision to make excellent fan films for free. HG probably thought Creavision's project wouldn't amount to anything significant, so there'd be no harm in giving them a non-profit license. Unfortunately for Creavision, HG was wrong; and now Creavision is going to have to suffer for it.

So basically HG let them roll with the project just long enough to show Hollywood it may or may not be viable as a full movie. Shady bastards.

Read below.

Eh, I highly doubt Harmony Gold sent that cease and desist out of petty jealousy. They need any new material like a man dying of thirst needs water.

My guess is that someone at Warner Bros. saw these videos and threatened Harmony Gold with a breach of contract. Remember, Warner Bros. paid for the exclusive right to make a Robotech movie(s), and here goes Harmony Gold permitting Creavision to make excellent fan films for free. HG probably thought Creavision's project wouldn't amount to anything significant, so there'd be no harm in giving them a non-profit license. Unfortunately for Creavision, HG was wrong; and now Creavision is going to have to suffer for it.

Either HG sends a letter or get sued for breach-of-contract. Talk about a lazy legal unit at HG. They should probably read the contracts they sign.

I doubt HG just woke up one day and figured out the Breach of Contract business. They HAVE a legal staff and they should have known. "This stinks like yesterday's diapers"...

(assuming HG did know about it, I thought the VP people got HG's permission ahead of time but I was not following it that closely)

Edited by Dynaman

According to the Argentine production company's Facebook page....A cease and desist notice has been issued to Robotech: Project Valkyrie by Harmony Gold.

My God, I was being borderline paranoid when I posted by doubts.

I really hope it doesn't escalate further than that, because I'm assuming it can get worse at this point if the parties wanted to?

Edited by Einherjar

I should've clarified that Cesar Turturro and Creavision shouldn't be subject to any fines or legal charges, so long as they fully comply with the cease and desist order. They did everything by the book and in good faith; it was Harmony Gold who probably screwed up. I just feel really bad for Creavsion because they clearly spent a lot of time and money on this project, only to be forced to watch the remainder of it languish on the shelf.

Someone mentioned that perhaps Creavision could quietly leak the rest of the footage. But then Creavision would be in violation of the cease and desist, and subject to whatever penalties argentinian law allows. Plus, if they have any aspirations of making it in Hollywood, they probably don't want to be known as a group who discounts intellectual property. Hollywood's seems to be overprotective with IP's these days.

Figured that would happen. It's strange though, cause HG was supporting this project based on how they mentioned it in their convention "tour". I guess the idea that a fan film is doing more for the franchise than the HG staff brought up too many questions as to what they're actually doing over there, and decided to shut the noise down. Really unfortunate for HG, as they seem to be killing off their own fan hype. Lesson learned, DON'T DO ANYTHING FOR ROBOTECH!!!

Now wouldn't it be awkward in hindsight if there was a video of it...

Was really wondering why HG was being such a good sport. I have a friend who works in post production and has directed a bunch of short films, all paid right out of his pocket. He got permission to adapt a story by a famous mangaka as a short. But what stated out as a great opportunity has turned into a pain in the ass. He wasn't allowed to crowdfund crap and he is full of restrictions when it comes to actually getting permission to show the finished piece Certainly not on youtube.

And of course HG lackey Maverick_LSC tries to claim that Harmony Gold had nothing to do with C&D order.

That guy is on some serious stuff...

I dig ROBOTECH. I despise the current Regime at HG and their tool mods on their message board. I am sure Tommy Yune is behind it. Anytime someone makes something better than he did or calls him out on his shoddy work they get banned.

Can you share the C&D letter? What did they say exactly?

they had to terminate the page to face of project valkyrie, so that said we do not know specifically. :(

but this group on face, will do this;

https://www.facebook.com/Robotechx

"Robotech Valkyrie Project Update:

In 24 Hrs, Tommy Yune of Harmony Gold will have their first public appearance at AOD con in San Francisco where I will be there to ask "WHY" did they stopped Robotech Valkyrie Project and "WHAT'S" going on. If you can attend and support great, if not join us here live tomorrow where I will post any updates from HG panel at 1pm Saturday."

En 24 hs Tommy Yune, de Harmony Gold, hara su primera aparicion publica en el AOD con en San Francisco, donde estare ahi, para preguntarle "porque" detuvieron Robotech Valkyrie Project, y que sucedio. Si puedes ir y apuyarnos bien, sino acompañenos aqui mañana donde los mantendremos informados de todo lo que suceda en el Paneel de HG a partir de las 1pm del Sabado.

If this is your first experience seeing a fan production get a C&D, please Google "UEG Productions." I believe they got as far as a teaser and the crew never recovered from it.

http://www.robotechx.com/news-content/26-news-general/252-genesis-ends-artemis-begins.html

And to put into context, just almost year after this announcement, people moved on to Project Valkyrie and essentially, and unfortunately, went through same process as UEG, except in half the time. Apparantly, most people forgot about it by then? [insert End of the Circle joke here or something]

So maybe in a year people might be doing this all over again.

Edited by Einherjar

So....

La respuesta al pedido de explicaciones sobre la cancelación que le hicieron al Panel Robotech en la mencionada Convención fue que para ellos (es decir, para HG) Robotech Valkyrie Project fue una sorpresa en términos legales y que debido a ello no pueden responder por ahora.

The answer was that the short was "A surprise" in legal terms (?) and they can't make a statement right now.

..... I'm out, this is ridiculous.

Edited by Gerli