Macross Fever

For nearly 3 years since the debut of Macross Fever, the pachinko game, we're treated with several low-res vids & screen captures of the said gorgeous new animation for the game's cutscenes.

I myself would never have thought that I will be able to set my eyes of said brand new SDFM animation. Sure, the grainy videos of Macross Fever did floated around youtube, & of course at that time, I was content with that.

But after such talks on rebooting SDFM, & that of re-animating Macross the First, I got curious again. What if, a big IF, SDFM is being reanimated yet again, either using the original animation designs or that of DYRL-inspired theme of Macross the First. How would it hold up against Macross Plus, Macross 7 Dynamite, Macross 0, or the graphically gorgeous Macross Frontier?

Then yesterday, while lurking at MW perusing the threads on this board, I absentmindedly clicked on a youtube link posted at SDFM DYRL Bluray thread. Fingers get a little bit busy as I skipped several Macross youtube vids, when I mistakenly clicked on a link I believed contained a commercial of new DYRL Bluray release.

Then I was awestruck, here is an youtube account under a guy (undoubtedly could be a SDFM Macross japanese fan) known as 'xjohnman' with a tally of atleast 8 Macross Fever clips ripped from the recent Bluray release.

I was immediately struck with a fever .... a Macross Fever. After watching & rewatching the clips overnight, me cried me manly tears for years ..... I rediscovered my love for Macross after getting so close to a 'burnt-out syndrome'.

What a better way to start with a Macross Chibi TV OP:

The new reanimated SDFM OP for Macross Fever:

Several other media clips are available here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/xjohnman?feature=watch

Edited by Protoculture

I said it before when the Macross Pachinko machine first came out and I got killed for, but I'll say it again. The characters look like a bunch of deviant artist redid them, other than that it looks OK.

I said it before when the Macross Pachinko machine first came out and I got killed for, but I'll say it again. The characters look like a bunch of deviant artist redid them, other than that it looks OK.

I must agree.

And why the FU*K have the Zentraedi got elfin ears?!? :blink:

I for one hate the way so many of the modern renditions of the VF-1 have got to go mucking with the proportions of the original Valkyrie design.

• 2 weeks later...

He he, the clip was pretty cool, but yes, does not have "THE" look of the original. The SD clip was funny. They must have started using paintballs after Max and Millia got married :p - MT

I think aside from a few things, I really love what they did with those scenes. As far as the opening goes though, I don't care for the character flashes. That's a newer thing, and I don't think it's very fitting for the places they put them in. The original also had the SDF-1 against cityscapes to emphasize just how huge it is.. that gets lost against star backgrounds, and further distracted from with the character overlays.

Most of what's there I think is pretty close to the original, and I wouldn't mind seeing the entire series animated in that style. The combat scenes are amazing, especially the clip with Vermillion Squad going against that cruiser, and it makes me want to see a redone version of the Max and Millia fight.. actually, ALL of them. The one shot of Millia holding the knife has me really wanting to see the entire series redone, just so we can get that fight re-drawn.

It's probably just my personal taste, but I actually enjoyed the bits of humor they added too.. for some reason, chibi-fied Shammy crying in the audience just fits somehow. They definitely played up Minmay's concerts to be more modern looking though, which I think isn't entirely bad. They pretty much gave the performances a dose of MacF, but kept the costumes original, and not so fan-servicey (except the bit of her with the heart-tipped tail and the miniskirt.. I dunno where that came from. :blink: )

Also, the Q-Rau pin-up poster shot. I would buy a full sized print of this in a heartbeat.

post-907-0-72832700-1341864225_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chronocidal

I vote for a redo. I like the idea of re-watching DYRL but when I put it on, it just feels dated.

I watched it on the big screen back to back with the Frontier movie the other day and if I had to pick one, I'd say it was Frontier that felt dated with all its cheesiness and lack of class (though it does have its fun moments). DYRL is like a matured fine wine, while Frontier is an alco-pop.

And why the FU*K have the Zentraedi got elfin ears?!? :blink:.

It's a design retcon (or whatever you'd call it) that started with DYRL. I guess it makes it easier to tell allied Zentradi apart from humans after the fact, or those of Zentradi descent. I always thought it was a little odd because it would make the pre-alliance blending in with humanity harder, but eh.

I like looking at Macross Fever, Mostly I'm just grooving on seeing the TV series designs for Zentradi used, but obviously if *that's* what I came for, I might as well just watch SDFM again. I look at Fever as good enough as what it is, a little tidbit of fun that doesn't need to be anything more. The cel-shaded CGI mechs look great, too.

I cracked up at seeing cartoony crying Shammy. She's just a comical character to me, not a moe-moe sorta deal.

As for DYRL, I don't like it on a fannish level, but can see it's an extremely well-made film. Nothing about it seems "dated", though I have a lot of trouble finding any media which feels that way to me.