1/3000 Macross differences, Assembled vs Kit

Hikuro

I need some advice. I've been wanting the Macross for a long time now.. to the point I've finally been saving up the money to get it. However 500 dollars is a steep price right? But there's also the Unassembled version that's drastically cheaper, and right now it's even on sale. What I'm curious of is how much of it would need to be additionally painted to match the assembled version? I even heard that the decals are a little more detailed than the assembled variant.

But with nearly a 300 dollar difference in price I'm incredibly tempted on this unassembled version.

I've gotten a ton better at modeling in just the last few months. And I've heard stories that sometimes there are screws missing in the unassembled kit but don't provide an issue in terms of finishing, that and you don't even need glue in all honestly except in the small bits that you would also have issues with on the assembled version.

I want to hear the owners thoughts on both sides. How much more painting would I need to do to finish it? Does anyone have paint codes so I can pick up the proper colors to finish it? Does the huge difference in price really make it worth the building effort?

Just want to correct the numbers. The current HLJ 20% off price is:

26,240 yen (US$ 326) v.s. 12,640 yen (US$ 157)

The model shipping cost is a little higher due to extra parts hence heavier.

I don't have much model skill and if I have the model I would be most worry about the big water slide.

I read a guys blog on another site and saw step by step what it took to build that kit and that's what convinced me to get the toy. I personally didn't have the skill to risk it plus after the time and materials it would take $300 was worth it. I wouldn't pay $500 for one that's for sure. Put it up on the wanted forum and I'm sure you'll get one for at most $350 shipped.

I dunno but if I had to get the unassembled version, I'd spend the extra cash and get the big honkin 1/2000 scale one from awhile back. If I'm gonna spend the time to build one, I'm gonna go all out and get the fu*ck-all ultimate one. :)(point is moot since it's discontinued and $2000+)

I'm no help at all but just sayin...

Edited by xrentonx

I dunno but if I had to get the unassembled version, I'd spend the extra cash and get the big honkin 1/2000 scale one from awhile back. If I'm gonna spend the time to build one, I'm gonna go all out and get the fu*ck-all ultimate one. :)(point is moot since it's discontinued and $2000+)

I'm no help at all but just sayin...

Hah yeah I hear you, I'd love to assemble that bad ass mutha. But chance are I will NEVER own something like that.

Just want to correct the numbers. The current HLJ 20% off price is:

26,240 yen (US$ 326) v.s. 12,640 yen (US$ 157)

The model shipping cost is a little higher due to extra parts hence heavier.

I don't have much model skill and if I have the model I would be most worry about the big water slide.

I'm not to worried over the decals. I spent 2 days on a 1/2500 Enterprise E with custom decals. Came out WONDERFULLY.

I'm about halfway through the build on the kit, and it seems to me like it really was designed for the customizer in mind. Pretty much all the parts are molded in the main colors so you could theoretically complete it with just the decals, but it would be kind of bland looking compared to what it could look like properly weathered and with the photoetched parts. The resin pieces also need some minor shaping to fit and definitely need painting. If you enjoy modeling, it's worth it as it does go together pretty easily. If you're solely looking to save money, don't forget to factor in what your time is worth. I probably could have done a bare bones build over a long weekend, but with the extra painting, gap and seam filling, and a fiber optic refit, I'll likely have several dozen hours into it before I'm done. Then again, I enjoy building these sorts of things so I'd likely be working on something similar anyways.

As far as problems with the kit, mine was missing a few screws but I was able to make do with others that were lying around and close enough. I was also fortunate enough to have a wife who lived in Japan for a few years to help me out with the errata page and some other instructions, but overall it's pretty straightforward if you've built a few kits before. Take a look at the stickies in the customizing section to get an idea of what some really talented members have done with the pre-assembled ones if you're willing/able to put the time into it. I'm nowhere near their level, but seeing their work inspired me to take a stab at the kit since it's far easier to customize something if it's already in pieces. ;) I believe they also list the Tamiya paints they used; I'm just using what I've got on hand that's close enough to blend in and look like panel variation. It's definitely been a fun build so far and I think a great bargain at $157. Good luck whichever you choose - it's a very impressive piece. If only the 1/2000 was even remotely in my price range... :)

Edited by Boroboy

Ugh well that just makes it a terribly difficult choice. It'd be great if the sale went on for a little bit longer so I could take advantage of the pricing. I wouldn't mind building the bloody thing but at the same time I don't wanna screw it up hmmmmm.....

Get the toy. Get the toy. Did I mention the toy? Seriously, you have better things to do with your time than spending weeks assembling this thing. Benson's right. If you really took the time, got the materials, painted it to make it look halfway decent the cost would be comparable to buying the toy anyway. I'm a model builder too and I gotta say taking on huge projects is such a turn off now with the limited time and extra responsibilities I have now.

If you're gonna make it look like the toy anyway, then get the toy. If you're gonna customize it and really make it something special and unique then get the unassembled kit. I have the toy and I got it at 15%-20% off and I have no regrets. The finished piece is already a beautiful work of art and I've always wanted a Macross that looks this good.

Seriously, only get the kit if you're gonna add all of the bells and whistles...possibly even make a non-canon unique scheme (post pics for us if you are ballsy about doing something wacky like a Focker scheme on your Macross. Loves me some Focker). B))

Edited by xrentonx

Tough decision then. Like I said earlier....I wish the sale would go on thru july and I wouldn't have a problem in getting either or. So Now I'm trying to sell a few more items so I can completely cover the cost. So far I hadn't gotten any offers for he remainder amount. Kidn of hard to buy this thing and be able to afford my girlfriend her Macross themed birthday party. Damn the world.

Doesn't HLJ give you a grace period to pay? You could just put in an order then sit on it till the very end of the grace period. Just put in an order now and e-mail them to see how long that grace period lasts.

Edited by mass driver

I read a review where someone said that basically the best reason to buy the unbuilt version is if you really enjoy building models and want to customize the heck out of it like a couple of the pinned threads here. But, the reviewer said, if you're buying it to just save money, then don't. The sale on the SDF-1 isnt any better than when I bought it a couple of months ago, and I'm sure it'll be on sale again, of it doesn't sell out.

I am not a modeler, but im on the edge about buying the kit, yet I want a 2nd sdf-1 to display in cruiser mode. I don't want to spend 350-400 shipping a complete one again. So since HLJ has a sale for it I might as well pick one up. At least I have till the 30th to think about it.

I have the toy and I've been really tempted to get the model, especially after seeing the results of the guys who detailed theirs. At least one of them did it to the toy, so he had to take it apart. It'd be much easier to use the model. But, I've still got a 1/350 Enterprise sitting in a closet that I was planning on building a few years ago with lighting that I never got around to. I have been wondering what the movie SDF-1 would look like in the TV series colors, including painting the ARMDs the colors of the Prometheus and Daedalus.

Well I'm still trying to sell a few items on the SALES board if anyone is interested. an MP Prime and Megs and some RiD Optimus and Scourge. Just barely enough to break me even and get the Macross. So if anyone wants to be a pal and help that'd be awesome lol.

Buying the kit just to have a Macross in a different mode is a great idea. Probably the only reason I would even buy a second one just for that. Way to make this even tougher!

I ordered the assembled version. Phew, that was a lot of money. I went off HLJ since the EMS would make it a little faster for a few dollars more thanw hat Ebay was offering.

Out of curiosity, those with the unassembled kit get a 01 and 02 for the ARMD platforms. Anyone know the size those are? I have an industrial vynl cutter at work and could make little white numbers for them at a similar font. Just need to know how big they gotta be.

Great! You sir just made one of the best purchases of your (macross obsessed) life! Just remember to pay close attention to the antenna section while transforming it so as not to stress the thin plastic while transforming and you'll be fine. Watch Graham's video for tips and watch out while taking the cruiser mode out of the plastic storage bag for the first time. There were some reports of people pulling the cruiser out of the bag and having the antenna "catch" on a bag hole ripping the antenna off. Make sure that doesn't happen to you. Also use super glue to attach all the little bits on. Trust me, you'll thank yourself later.

It's separate from the ship? is the bridge section magnetized like the ARMD platforms I've heard about? I caught on about the plastic bag issue from reviews so I'm good to go there. I might have super glue but I usually use cement glue like my model kits.

Just be very careful with the tiny sharp bits and go easy on the bridge and you'll be ok. Also, there is a locking mechanism (it's a small slider/switch) when you gotta swing the body around for transformation. Be sure to disengage that before you start swiveling the main body around. I forgot about that and thought I had to force it around but luckily I stopped and looked at the manual carefully before I went any further and stressed something I shouldn't have.

Bridge is not magnetic so you'll have to use a little glue, I believe. There are a bunch of screw covers and cannons you gotta glue to it too.

Edited by xrentonx

Unless you are a customizer, I would avoid the kit. It was made for those looking to personalize the crap out of it. The SDF-1 is amazing. You will not be disappoInted. Just buy it.

It's separate from the ship? is the bridge section magnetized like the ARMD platforms I've heard about? I caught on about the plastic bag issue from reviews so I'm good to go there. I might have super glue but I usually use cement glue like my model kits.

It's got a tiny screw in a bag of its own along with a small panel to cover the screw hole. The cover may have to be glued on. I've left the screw off so I could take the bridge off during transformation, so I don't know how well the cover holds with friction.

I'll probably do a little customization to it, very minor. I see that 01 & 02 numbering for the ARMD platforms are non existing in the assembled piece.

And I believe someone in the customize thread made a cut away background of Macross City you can out on the interior leg.

That would be the extent to my customizing of the assembled piece.

As for my girlfriend, she will wanna touch it. She's got a fascination for the Macross. Should of seen her face on episode 12 of Frontier. She thought it was the original Macross and got teary eye.

lol. I totally didn't read that you already bought the assembled version before I posted.

Congrats man. Welcome to the club!

As for people touching your SDF-1... I don't let anyone touch mine. My GF has joked about messing with my Macross toys, but a few months ago she broke my Alternity Starscream, and ever since then she's learned not to touch the high end toys.

Edited by pud333

LOL!! Mines pretty good at asking permission. She's a transformer nerd so of it changes shape she wants to check it out. One reason she's shown interest in macross was finding out jetfire was initially a vf1.

Couple of the guys at work wanna see this behemoth as well. One guy who does model building hardcore thinks I should of saved for the 1/2000. Now you all have to admit, that is not just a show piece, that's literally a holy grail to us.

It is most definitely a holy grail. But for me I think it'll just stay that way. I'm perfectly happy with the 1/3000 and how it displays and just don't have the skills to do a 1/2000 justice. Not to mention I don't have enough dipslay space. That thing is as big as a coffee table. There was this one post some time ago where someone fully painted their 1/2000 and even macross city with a little minmay painting on a movie theater. THAT was pure awesome.

Edited by mass driver

I think I've seen that. think it's vf1s who did that. he's got pictures of a 1/2000 scale with a fully painted macross city on his thread.

I just got the charge for it, 383.29. That's a LOT of money. But I get some kind of rinkydink Macross Quarter pamphlet I guess. With any luck I'll have this thing before the end of the first week of July. Then again maybe even slightly later. Which NOW I got to find a new space for my Macross Collection. And I think I might know where. Gonna have to start moving stuff around.

took me half a day to assemble mine...... there are no screws missing... however there has been a change to which screws are in the box, but none are missing!

and there is alot of room for modding and such =^_ ^=

Hm half a day obviously no painting right?

I've got red vinyl at work, closest to the original color I got for the armd platform numbers. But I don't know the size and won't know for another week or so.

Can anyone provide a measurement?

Hadn't found much. I even have been going thru various font files I have at work to find something that would be pretty close. However if I had the right angle like a front view of the 01 and 02 I could use Illustrator and make the font myself, cut it on red vinyl and put it on myself with no issues at all.

However the biggest thing besides the font is the size of area I'm working with. Which is knowing where the numbers are placed on the platforms, how tall and how wide. My guess is half of an inch high and wide. But I wont know for sure until next week or so.

Personal thanks to Boroboy for helping me out on the ARMD numbers. I got a notice that it's left San fransisco so it's 50/50 tomorrow afternoon or will most likely be Tuesday. That's so damn fast shipping.

I reorganized a display area and the Macross will sit right on top of my self on it's lonesome. I'm not sure how she'll be displayed yet. Most likely Cruiser mode for a while. I always liked how that looked and was sad it had such a brief amount of screen time like "Well once we transform she can't go back to cruise mode eeeeeeeever again."