Macross 7 Bluray Boxset Details Announced

SCOOPUDA!

FIRE-baby-228x300.jpg

Forum user Antibiotictab has come up with a scoop regarding details for the upcoming Macross 7 BD boxsets.

There will be two separate boxsets, with an RRp of 2,9400yen each.

Complete Fire 1 will be released on October 26 and includes eps 1-29 and 60mins worth of extras. Extras will include a tv special 'Macross Full Speed Ahead!', seven of the comical Macross 7 plus shorts, music videos for Try Again (acoustic ver.), Holy Lonely Night (Live ver.), and clean versions of OP & ED 'Seventh Moon' and 'My Friends.' Audio extras will include a new audio commentary track, 'Macross Festival '95', 'Macross 7 Fire Bomber Galaxy network Vol. 0', and  'Macross Dynamite 7 Fire Bomber Galaxy Fun Net.'

Complete Fire 2will be released on December 21 and includes eps 30-49, The Galaxy is Calling Me theatrical movie and the 4 episode Dynamite 7 OVA, as well as an additional 60mins worth of extras. Extras will include the remaining Macross 7 plus shorts, a TV Commercial collection, 'Fire Movie Karaoke', Â 'Macross 25th Anniversary Live Digest', clean OP & ED for dakedo baby, Dynamite Explosion and parade, theatrical trailer, 'Macross festival '95', and the opening animation from the M3 Dreamcast game, as well as a newly recorded audio commentary.

Both boxsets are currently available for preorder on Amazon Japan at a

Complete Fire 1 preorder.

Complete Fire 2 preorder.

Read the full story here

Since none of them ever have. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that these won't either.

Seriously...dem youngins need to stop expecting or asking for subs on these releases.

Seriously...dem youngins need to stop expecting or asking for subs on these releases.

Maybe we should put it up on the announcements...

ATTENTION: NO MACROSS BLUE RAY RELEASE WILL HAVE ENGLISH SUBTITLES! THANK YOU!

Nothing is stopping them from doing so, not even you know who can stop that. Selling them in the USA would be tricky. No, I'm not holding my breath...

Nor should you hold your breath... The issue isn't that there's something standing in the way, but that the idea of it doesn't even cross their minds because paying for subtitles wouldn't sell enough additional units to make it worth the effort.

I believe if your a true macross fan.. and i'm sure many of you are.. you have probably watched the different series so many times with subtitles and have already picked up exactly what the characters are saying by now regardless of subtitles.

I've watched DYRL so many times I don't need subtitles. The wife sometimes hears me talk in Japanese when the movie is on. Asking me to stop creating my own soundtrack of the movie. LOL

Nor should you hold your breath... The issue isn't that there's something standing in the way, but that the idea of it doesn't even cross their minds because paying for subtitles wouldn't sell enough additional units to make it worth the effort.

I disagree there. There are other factors at work.

I'm sure they'd sell better if they weren't priced like a Yammie SDF-1. What's the justification for the insane price on all these BD's?

I'm curious- are you not familiar with what Japanese media pricing is like? Because, as has been mentioned by other posters, by Japanese standards the pricing of the Macross 7 box sets is fairly reasonable. 

Here we are getting pretty much every single piece of animated and recorded footage related to the series for much less than it would have originally added up to, for a cheaper price than the DVD remaster sets on a medium that is the highest quality to date and also one that many think will be the final option of buying and owning the show on a physical medium. A similar thing can be said about DYRL which, despite including FB2012 and a bunch of reprinted physical items, is less than the original VHS release of just the movie. Heck, just buying a new Fukuyama concert in DVD is 7000yen plus. A new big name PS3 game is 7800yen. So the M7 BD prices are not only in line with Japanese pricing, they are actually pretty cheap when you consider how much you are getting (presuming you get the preorder discount ). 

Also, please keep in mind that even in Japan, no-one actually buys these box sets at the MSRP- there's always a preorder discount (in the case of Macross tv on Amazon, this cut 12,000yen off the MSRP before applying any other discounts- quite a decent saving). 

Also, it needs to be noted that these releases are aimed squarely at the hardcore fans who are used to and will pay these prices. As is often said in Japan, make something with a hardcore user base of 1000 users and you can name your price and still have a sustainable business model. The flip side is that only a limited number are made- so its better to take the preorder discount and get them now than wait. Renato and I relearned this the hard way with the first pressing of the Gunbuster BD we waited a few months and the thing was so limited that now it goes for double the MRSP 2nd hand! Preordering would have gotten us a 25% discount and ensured we owned something that we both consider a classic show (as discussed on our podcast SHAMELESS PLUG!). 

Anyways tl:dr- the box sets are reasonable by Japanese standards. These may be different to what you are used to (although they are becoming more common in the US too- see the pricing of the Patlabor movies, Gundam Unicorn and Fate/Zero BDs as an example- and similar examples will become far more common in the future), but these discs aren't being produced with a non-Japanese audience in mind. Those who are big enough fans to want it will pay for it. Those who aren't wont. It's as simple as that really. I for one, am happy that we are getting these great looking, all encompassing remasters for less than the DVDs cost - heck much less than the 6800yen each VHS cassette cost me back in the day- and that was AFTER having to pay $800 for a multiregion VHS player that could handle NTSC tapes. Compared to those days, these prices are a comparative steal  (⌒▽⌒)

(sorry for any spelling mistakes, am typing this with one hand while on the packed morning subway). 

Thanks Tochiro, I really appreciate the insight into the reasons behind the pricing. I'm used to a season of something coming out and it costing $50 or so USD. I'm glad I can be happy with the normal DVD's.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain all this to me on your busy morning commute.

Thanks Tochiro, I really appreciate the insight into the reasons behind the pricing. I'm used to a season of something coming out and it costing $50 or so USD. I'm glad I can be happy with the normal DVD's.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain all this to me on your busy morning commute.

Am actually still stuck in the train- darn rain has messed things up.

For what it's worth, I had a rather funny exchange with a colleague last year. I brought an issue of Protocultute Addicts (or maybe it was Otakusa?) to show him what was popular in th US.

His comment? He was shocked at the poor quality control of the magazine publisher. 'Theres a full page advertisement for $50 box sets. Obviously someone either forgot a digit, or else they are promoting bootlegs!'

Hehehe....f^_^;)

Trust me man.. if I lived there I would be buying 2nd hand stuff if I could find them. At times cheaper if available.

I'm often in the same boat - second hand is great for somethings but for others the limited initial pressing means that prices never drop. My original remastered Evangelion DVD Nerv boxset, that was 40,000~50,000yen from memory, is now worth more than i originally got it for on the 2nd hand market. On the other hand, the original Fist of the North Star remastered DVD boxset is now a bit cheaper than its original (whopping) 100,000yen asking price.

Trust me man.. if I lived there I would be buying 2nd hand stuff if I could find them. At times cheaper if available.

IF you can find them, is the kicker.

Some things (especially when it's closer to the original release date) are relatively easy to find, but others... no one's selling them!

jesus. Ive never bought, watched, asked anything about any of these BD's before. Crucify me.

Sorry man, it wasn't meant as a dig at you, or your question. It was more an invective against the various forces at work over the years that have kept them from doing so. God knows they were in bed with Animeigo when they released the remastered set years ago so somewhere, you KNOW someone on that side of the pond has the damned subtitles already. Would it kill them to include them? Especially at the exorbitant prices they're charging. And, they were remastered and subbed again when ADV did their version.

As much as I'd love to buy them, I just can't justify laying out that kind of cash without even the basics of subtitles.

God knows they were in bed with Animeigo when they released the remastered set years ago so somewhere, you KNOW someone on that side of the pond has the damned subtitles already.

Unfortunately I don't believe Big West had any involvement with the Animeigo set. In fact I thought the original masters were from Harmony Gold because Tatsunoko's own set had degraded over the years?

Regardless, I think manga blogger Ed Sizemore put it best in a post here

http://reversethieve.../#comment-10498

Just a couple more thoughts. The Japanese companies don’t have any obligations to us. We’re party crashers. In fact, I prefer for the Japanese creators to pretend I don’t exist. My favorite shows/books (Princess Mononoke, Wandering Son, Pluto, Perfect Blue, etc.) would have never been created if they were worried about appealing to the world in general. So remember we’re barraging in to a party held by a Japanese company for Japanese fans. We should be thankful they haven’t called security on us.

I find it very frustrating that Japanese companies don’t put English subtitles on their BD and DVDS. However, I do think they might have some valid arguments for not doing so. Take a show like Wandering Son. It got streamed with English subtitles. I think we can all agree the subtitles on Crunchyroll are less than perfect. As a company, I certainly wouldn’t want to put them on my BD/DVD as official translations. So that means paying for and quality checking translations. Also, getting everyone to sign off on them. Will Wandering Son see enough discs overseas to justfy the added expense? As much as I hate to say it, probably not.

Make no mistake, the Japanese companies don’t value us as fans. We are a nice bit of extra cash. They aren’t bluffing when they threaten to take their ball and go home. So we have no power over them as comsumers. They are perfectly happy to live off domestic sales alone.

I’ll spare us all a long discussion of how the anime companies have trained their consumers. The Japanese otaku are a great example of Pavlovian conditioning. The Japan would love for us to follow their example.

It's depressing but it won't change anytime soon.

After shelling out on the DYRL BD I don't know if I'll have enough time to save up for the 7 ones when they come out. I have to add 25% VAT, 12% in customs and a service fee to the above price...Having said that, these BD edition are so complete and packed with so many extras, that there's a certain feeling of 'ultimateness' to them. I get the feeling that this is the last time some of these series are released.

Apart from the commentaries, I don't see that there's anything new to justify any more "completeness" over the old remastered DVDs. It all comes down to what those pack-in bonus books and things are. From what I've seen of the DVD box sets, those things are great and the extra stuff is really cool, so if they don't include everything those ones did, I might have to see if prices start going down for the DVD sets instead. Unless everyone has the same idea, that is.

So, there are no different editions for this release, just Complete boxes 1+2?

Thankfully yes. Also, the lack of a game bonus means the next game release should be a full console (PS3), portable (Vita) or both release.

So, there are no different editions for this release, just Complete boxes 1+2?

Gotta admit I'm a bit relieved. No limited edition means I can hold off on this one for a good long while until I have extra cash lying around. 7 is my least favorite anyway.