Macross 7 Bluray Boxset Details Announced

SCOOPUDA!

Apart from the commentaries, I don't see that there's anything new to justify any more "completeness" over the old remastered DVDs. It all comes down to what those pack-in bonus books and things are. From what I've seen of the DVD box sets, those things are great and the extra stuff is really cool, so if they don't include everything those ones did, I might have to see if prices start going down for the DVD sets instead. Unless everyone has the same idea, that is.

Well, there doesnt appear to be any physical extras with these sets. Not that theyve announced yet at least. Content-wise, I'm not familiar with the DVD boxsets - is it the same?

Gotta admit I'm a bit relieved. No limited edition means I can hold off on this one for a good long while until I have extra cash lying around. 7 is my least favorite anyway.

Doesnt necessarily mean that the boxsets will be made in any great numbers. I wouldnt leave it for too long if I were you. But hey, thats just my 2 yen.

• 3 weeks later...

Question, how likely it that existing series already on BD will also get boxset rereleases in the future?

e.g. Frontier, Zero?

If there is going to be an anniversary set for MF with goodies, I will collect one set.

P.S. I was too late in the game that I missed the MF bluray limited first editions.

I'm waiting for Macross Plus to be announced. I think it might still happen before the end of 2012.

I passed on the HD remaster DVDs since I knew the BDs would be coming eventually. I've love to upgrade my Manga DVD of the M+ Movie Edition; it looks terrible and it has burnt-in subs.

Hopefully, they are just taking the time to do M+ right.

However, I'm holding on to my signed M+ Movie Edition laserdisc for sentimental reasons. :)

Zero already has a BD box, in fact it was the first BD Macross release. I'm not sure about Frontier getting a rerelease though, but we'll see. Plus will probably be next year since the second 7 box is out in december. The real question is whether or not II will get a remaster.

If there is going to be an anniversary set for MF with goodies, I will collect one set.

I really cant see this happening, if only because the original BDs are still readily available, often at huge discounts (ie, Vol. 1 is 1000yen new at many retailers) making them the much cheaper option over a re-released set which would undoubtedly come with an inflated price. Apart from the two storage boxes, the only 'extras' the first pressings came with were things like postcard calendars, so you arent missing all that much.

I'm waiting for Macross Plus to be announced. I think it might still happen before the end of 2012.

With SDFMTV, DYRL, and 2 M7 boxes this year already, M+ probably wont come out until next year at the very earliest although I suspect it might not come out until M+ 20th anniversary in 2014.

Unfortunately, the only extra I really wanted but missed with the Frontier was the first box. My solution? Slap all 9 disc's into slim cases and stick them into the second box, and I'm happy with that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can't wait so i can see how much they cleaned up the picture and audio quality.

From what I can tell on the "Super Dimension Seminar", I think it's the same as the Remastered DVD releases from a few years ago, only in a higher resolution. It looks fantastic on those DVDs, much better than the original DVD releases, so I imagine you won't be disappointed.

Can't wait so i can see how much they cleaned up the picture and audio quality.

I think Renato has hit it on the head. It will look good but dont expect the kind of effort that went into, for example, the DYRL BD boxset. Still, it will most likely be the final physical release of the series so I know Ill have to grab it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished Mac 7 and I have one question, what's the point of the flower girl?

Nothing,,,and yet, she is the embodiment of all that Basara sings for. Edited by Jasonc

• 4 months later...

For the ones who bought it, what are your impressions?

I already bought the DYRL and SDFM 30TH LE boxes, I am running out of money and if my wife ever knows I may run out of wife too, hahaha

I want to buy these boxes too, something inside me is forcing me to, maybe its the Spiritia...

BUT, I wanted to know what do you think of it before placing the order, hehehe

CANT FIGHT THIS FEELING!!! MUST HAVE IT!!! BUT MUST ASK FIRST!!!...

For the ones who bought it, what are your impressions?

I already bought the DYRL and SDFM 30TH LE boxes, I am running out of money and if my wife ever knows I may run out of wife too, hahaha

I want to buy these boxes too, something inside me is forcing me to, maybe its the Spiritia...

BUT, I wanted to know what do you think of it before placing the order, hehehe

CANT FIGHT THIS FEELING!!! MUST HAVE IT!!! BUT MUST ASK FIRST!!!...

I think I already talked about this release here: http://www.macrossworld.com/4157/macross-speakerpodcast-ep-7-bag-of-orgus/

But you're right, I don't think I ever gave a proper summary of my impressions on the boards.

Well, I already watched the whole thing, saw every extra and read all the booklets. Here are my thoughts:

-The image looks *fantastic*. Like I said, this is likely not a new transfer, it is the same as the 2007 "HD Remaster" DVD release, but when I first saw those remastered episodes online a few years back, I was amazed, and have been waiting for the DVD sets to come down in price ever since. Until this BD was announced, that is. Because now the image takes advantage of full HD and you can see every little detail which was previously obscured.

-The content and layout: The series is split into two box sets, 4 discs each. Perfect. The Cowboy Bebop and Space Cruiser Yamato BD releases only have 20-odd episodes each and inexplicably take up 8 or 9 discs each.

-The package design: Nice and compact. In the podcast in the link above, we discuss how the Limited Edition BD package of the SDF Macross series is just a pain in the neck because of its design. These are smaller sized, and easy enough to get the discs in and out, plus the slipcase design with the cut-out "7" makes it interesting and attractive to the eye. One thing I will say, though -- the typeface used and the spine design could have been a bit more aesthetically pleasing. The slipcase itself needs a little more of "something" to really make it look pretty.

-Bonus features -- everything that was in the HD Remaster DVDs, which is basically everything you could ever want anyway. The Mac7 Plus shorts? Of course. Macross Fastest Liftoff? Yes. Karaoke movies? Yes. Five different creditless openings for Dynamite 7? Why not. Even some audio files of the limited edition mail-away CDs and the Ticke-Maga CD from the 1995 movie ticket preorders are included. But the only NEW feature for these sets is the inclusion of audio commentaries, one on each disc, which give intriguing insights into the production of the show.

-Physical extras -- Pretty good overall, but personally this is where a *little* more effort would have gone a long way. I don't have the HD Remaster DVD sets, but I imagine it's basically the same deal. Each set comes with three booklets: one is a booklet of sheet music for some of the songs, one is a simple illustration collection from the various M7 releases and books over the years, and then we have the "Archives" materials booklet. The Archives, though nicely done, looks nothing more than glorified "Macross Chronicle" pages, in my opinion. The content is not identical, as in, it's not a copy&paste job, but it is similar enough. You have the timeline, you have the breakdown of the good-guy robots and enemy robots, character bios, etc. It is nice that they try to connect it to SDFM and Frontier/Zero, etc, but at the end of the day I was disappointed because I expected "Archives" to be about the production of the show itself. The SDFM BD set came with an excellent booklet detailing the evolution of the Genocidus project and the Megaroad project and how they coalesced to become Macross, with all-new staff interviews. I guess I should be satisfied with the commentaries that do provide some insight into that aspect, but commentaries and proper text interviews are different. Especially when these commentaries are more about jokingly reminiscing, which is fun to listen to, but doesn't have the dense detail as a proper investigation of the production process.

Anyway, that might be nitpicking, but I walked away with the impression that a lot more love had been put into the releases of DYRL and SDFM. However, at the end of the day, the release is really everything that you need from the show, so it's kind of a testament to how much love was originally put into the HD Remaster sets with all the extras and everything, meaning that there was never really that much more you could have added. The show will never look any better than this. If you are an M7 fan, this is a no-brainer. All things considered, it's an excellent release.

• 2 weeks later...

Very sad news. The voice actress who played Rex, Kaoru Shimamura, has passed away at the young age of 43.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-02-27/voice-actress-kaoru-shimamura-passes-away-at-43

She may not be a household name but she was talented and it is always tragic when someone passes so soon before their time.

She was perfect for the role of the cool biker lady with that slightly raspy, rough, yet elegant voice.

I shall find time today to watch the episode (on BD, make no mistake!) when she is possessed and delivers an incredible blood-curdling scream at the top of her lungs, to the amazement of Mylene, Ray and Veffidas (But not Basara, of course).

Edited by Renato