Django Unchained, Christmas 2012

Didn't we just have a thread about this?

Graham

No that was a review of Sukiyaki Western Django which Quentin Tarantino makes a cameo. The Django character is treated in a way a bit like Sherlock Holmes, as in everyone and their mother has done their own takes on him. Technically there are only two "official" films the original Django and a sequel that was made in the 80s. Yet there are supposedly over a hundred something other films made using the character by other studios or directors. Some even stared the same actor. The main characters mecha in Burst Angel is even named after him.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Django Unchained is a good movie, an entertaining movie, and a movie worth the admission fee. That said, it's not a great movie. Tarantino has fallen back into some of the bad habits he had seemingly cast off with Inglourious Basterds (which makes that film seem more like a lucky fluke); this is compounded by the movie being a little bit all over the place and its problems with pacing. Some of the comedy and music cues are completely tone-def, and are glaringly out of place within the film. Tarantino similarly flops with some of the cameos he has chosen, and they take the viewer completely out of the movie (Jonah Hill and Taratino himself are by far the worst offenders). In many ways Django Unchained makes Tarantino look like a one-trick pony, and it pales in compairson to Inglourious Basterds.

Some reviewers have called this movie his "spaghetti western," which I assume is an opinion held simply because of the inspiration for this film. Django Unchained is most certainly not his spaghetti western--or even a western for that matter; it's just another Tarantino film.

Saw it Christmas day, and it was f^cking awesome!

As I never agree with your taste, I am sure I will think this movie sucks. Bummer, I was sure I would like this thing.

As I never agree with your taste, I am sure I will think this movie sucks. Bummer, I was sure I would like this thing.

You're right, there was one sweaty men wrestling half naked scene, which isn't nearly enough to keep you entertained.

Edited by Keith

You're right, there was one sweaty men wrestling half naked scene, which isn't nearly enough to keep you entertained.

The irony of an M7 fan pointing fingers and making homosexual references at others... Mind-blowing.

The irony of an M7 fan pointing fingers and making homosexual references at others... Mind-blowing.

You're the only one who thinks shoe that aren't about glistening muscles are somehow homosexual...

I am a massive Sergio Leone fan. I only saw the original Django a few years ago. I am also a QT fan.

So hopefully I will enjoy this. However, in Australia it's not even out yet. ARRRRRGHHHHH!

This isn't a spaghetti western. It's not even a western. And Leone had nothing to do with the original Django.

This isn't a spaghetti western.

I'm aware of this.

It's not even a western.

I'm aware of this.

And Leone had nothing to do with the original Django.

I'm aware of this.

Having said all this, it sound like the movie owes a lot to these influences, all of which I love, so I'm keen to see it!

I'm aware of this.

Having said all this, it sound like the movie owes a lot to these influences, all of which I love, so I'm keen to see it!

Not in the slightest, other than the name. You'll enjoy this movie a lot more if you drop all expectations you have for it being remotely close to any if those influences.