3D-Brainx

I thought those books were done by the super fans. They do sometimes have some obscure trivia like things from old doujins and art books.

I'm not sure. But I do know those books still use those old schematics from 1995 for the fighters, the proportions for which have been criticized (often justly) by many Macross fan artists.

• 10 months later...

I know how it is to have years pass in between working on hobby projects :) Nice work, as always.

I don't have a better version of picture you posted, but I do know it is the schematic for the Yamato 1/60 scale transforming toy the sold just a year or two back.

Nice job, you missed the red sensor behind the head laser i believe, i have encircled the area where it looks a bit different comparing withyf-21-fighter.gif and schematic-yf21top.gifmr1bdpR.jpg

Keep it up, looking forward seeing you finish this beauty

Edited by bowman

Hy guys, thanks for the comments.

I know how it is to have years pass in between working on hobby projects :) Nice work, as always.

I don't have a better version of picture you posted, but I do know it is the schematic for the Yamato 1/60 scale transforming toy the sold just a year or two back.

Thanks! I guess that image will have to do for now.

Nice job, you missed the red sensor behind the head laser i believe, i have encircled the area where it looks a bit different comparing with and

Keep it up, looking forward seeing you finish this beauty

Thanks for the feedback! The red sensor is actually there, but I forgot the put a glass material to it.

And for the other part, I'm using a different blueprint, in mine that part is not flat.

post-14893-0-19784600-1374532193_thumb.jpg

Not sure which one is accurate, but I have to follow something :)

I've compared the version you are using with the the ones from the art books and double checked with the anime. It turns out that both versions is not exactly accurate to the anime. But one thing is clear the area i circled should be as flat as the blueprint i used for reference.

The 4 black hexagons close to the fuselage are also not present in the anime.

WALLPAPER_YF-21_Disection.jpg

If you'd like the original sources of most of the other images:

First is I believe from the "This is Animation" book, and is "the most canon" line-art there is, if that makes sense:

gallery_16_647_215859.jpg

Next is Hasegawa's, which is the most recent attempt at a "revised official detailed" depiction of the YF-21:

gallery_16_647_1737431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input guys! but as I said, I have to follow something and there is a lot of anime magic on this model. Anyways, I'm not looking to create the most accurate 3d model of the YF-21, but to create a nice piece of CG art.

Here's what the arms look like. I added a few robot-like parts to fill in the holes. I also modeled the legs, but have no render of them.

post-14893-0-19444800-1375588521_thumb.jpg

post-14893-0-21679600-1375588507_thumb.jpg

And here's what it looks like with everything on.

post-14893-0-99179300-1375588509_thumb.jpg

post-14893-0-36713400-1375588512_thumb.jpg

post-14893-0-86691500-1375588517_thumb.jpg

I'm basically done with the model. On to texturing now...., this might take a while :)

Bloody gorgeous - great job dude. There is some ref pics available for the elbow/bicep area (mostly internals) - when he's wrestling with the '19 and his arm breaks;

attachicon.gif21_Arm_Break.jpg

And a couple of hand/fist screen caps;

attachicon.gif21_Hands.jpg

Thanks Kurisama! I was looking for those pics! I remembered the arm braking but was too lazy to watch M Plus again :)

The only problem with that design is that it doesn't allow a full 180° bend.

3D-Brainx

Looking good! I think you're doing brilliant with the proportions, but we'll have to wait to see the whole thing together. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! Let me just tell you that it's impossible to fit the arms and legs inside that plane, it's driving me crazy. Legs end up being too small and the arms too big. I'll have to do 2 sets, one for fighter and another for gerwalk and battroid.

I been testing some materials, the idea is to create different layers.

Rust (not much):

post-14893-0-55620500-1375735038_thumb.jpg

post-14893-0-02096400-1375735017_thumb.jpg

Base metal:

post-14893-0-82301400-1375735029_thumb.jpg

Color:

post-14893-0-00130900-1375735023_thumb.jpg

I'll have to play around with the masks and the different layers. Lets see how it goes

Mr March - I took some screen caps from a M+ movie rip I got ages ago. I think I took a bunch of screen caps from the same source for you, showing the 19 sitting its hip lasers.

Ah yes, I still have them. They are really nice. Maybe one day I'll hit you up for some more screen caps...or maybe I should look into obtaining a high definition rip of Macross Plus :)

Hello all, thanks for the comments, I'll try to post some progress soon.

Would be a pleasure! Shoot me a msg anytime.

Back on topic - Brainx, are you planning on making panels removable for internal greebles? That'd be macanudo :D

Well, I haven't thought about it. The plan is to model the YF-19 as well and set a scene in the desert with New Edwards at the back. But I might just do that after all.

Anyone has a high resolution image of the decals sheet on Hasegawa's yf-21 kit? I'm trying to read what the hell does it says on the small markings on the front with no luck. I have Yamato's 1/60 manual, but it does not reflect those markings

Never liked the YF-21 , but you are doing a very good job B))

Says the guy with a Q-Rau as an Avatar ... :lol:

You are aware the YF-21 is like humanity's take on a Q-Rau right?

Edited by Zinjo

Yes , but as an artist we all have likes and dislikes :p , The Q-Rau was a modeling challenge , I model in NURBS , not an easy execrise with all those round shapes and blends . I am "busy" with YF-19 , which I like .... but this YF-21 is well modelled .

Some of my Macross Models

My Gallery : http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?app=gallery&user=736

Edited by Rodavan

Yes , but as an artist we all have likes and dislikes :p , The Q-Rau was a modeling challenge , I model in NURBS , not an easy execrise with all those round shapes and blends . I am "busy" with YF-19 , which I like .... but this YF-21 is well modelled .

I haven't seen those before. The Camo-Regult is bad-ass! I assume the VF-1 and the YF-19 aren't transformable? Also, the Q-Rau's rendered as toylike look like something somebody would have posted in the models gallery. I wouldn't have guessed they were 3D models. Impressive.

I have nothing but respect for 3D modelers, they can do what I cannot :)

I AM a fan of your Q-Rau's !!

Edited by Zinjo

• 3 weeks later...

Texture work is off to a great start!

If you don't mind a little critique, the only thing that is bugging me is the bare metal showing through where the paint has worn. It isn't that it looks bad, but rather that it looks "wrong" for a futuristic aircraft, which I would not expect to be skinned in sheet metal. Even if it was metal, I would expect layers of anti-corrosion paint under the color before you ever got down to bare metal. However, I wouldn't expect much metal at all in the skin of the aircraft, but rather composite materials. This is already the case for current aircraft designs in production. For this, I would expect that most of the exterior is some type of overtechnology carbon composite that is super strong and lightweight, and does not look like bright polished aluminum. The look you have going is more appropriate for a weathered WW2 aircraft.

Edited by danbickell

Thanks Guys!

Texture work is off to a great start!

If you don't mind a little critique, the only thing that is bugging me is the bare metal showing through where the paint has worn. It isn't that it looks bad, but rather that it looks "wrong" for a futuristic aircraft, which I would not expect to be skinned in sheet metal. Even if it was metal, I would expect layers of anti-corrosion paint under the color before you ever got down to bare metal. However, I wouldn't expect much metal at all in the skin of the aircraft, but rather composite materials. This is already the case for current aircraft designs in production. For this, I would expect that most of the exterior is some type of overtechnology carbon composite that is super strong and lightweight, and does not look like bright polished aluminum. The look you have going is more appropriate for a weathered WW2 aircraft.

There's always room for improvement, critique is welcome and very much appreciated! I do agree with you, but I'm going to use the show to excuse myself. :p

There a scene at the end when Guld is chasing the ghost, where they go ultrasonic and the paint on the 21 goes off. You can see there as if it only has one layer of blue paint and a gray metal underneath, you can't clearly see if its a shiny aluminum like metal, but at least its gray. So I went for that (only I guessed shiny metal and not just gray)

Anyways, I also think is too shiny, it's a separated material, so I might play with it a little more once I'm done with textures.

Thanks again guys!