Any opinions on the 1984 Dune adaptation?

Patrick Stewart is my definitive example of Gurney Hallack. When someone was reaching towards his Duke, Gurney intercepted first and made certain that no harm came to Duke Atredies. Plus being a general badass all 'round.

Nobody else comes close.

I had completely forgotten about this... The final installment of The Twilight Saga nearly did a clean sweep at this year's Razzies. What stopped the movie from achieving this feat was Adam Sandler, who is always consistent at making bad movies annually. Nevertheless, Breaking Dawn Part 2 scored 8 awards out of 11 nominations. Making the nominations list was the Teletubbies ripoff The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure, which is one of the biggest box-office disasters in history (US$1 million out of a total budget of US$60 million).

Here are the nominees and winners of the 33rd Golden Raspberry Awards:

Worst Picture

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2

Battleship

The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure

That's My Boy

A Thousand Words

Worst Actor

Adam Sandler (That's My Boy)

Nicolas Cage (Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance and Seeking Justice)

Eddie Murphy (A Thousand Words)

Robert Pattinson (The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2)

Tyler Perry (Alex Cross and Good Deeds)

Worst Actress

Kristen Stewart (The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 and Snow White and the Huntsman)

Katherine Heigl (One for the Money)

Milla Jovovich (Resident Evil: Resurrection)

Tyler Perry (Madea's Witness Protection)

Barbra Streisand (The Guilt Trip)

Worst Supporting Actor

Taylor Lautner (The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2)

David Hasselhoff (Piranha 3DD)

Liam Neeson (Battleship and Wrath of the Titans)

Nick Swardson (That's My Boy)

Vanilla Ice (That's My Boy)

Worst Supporting Actress

Rihanna (Battleship)

Jessica Biel (Playing for Keeps and Total Recall)

Brooklyn Decker (Battleship and What to Expect When You're Expecting)

Ashley Greene (The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2)

Jennifer Lopez (What to Expect When You're Expecting)

Worst Screen Couple

Mackenzie Foy and Taylor Lautner (The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2)

Any two cast members from Jersey Shore (The Three Stooges)

Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart (The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2)

Tyler Perry and his drag get-up (Madea's Witness Protection)

Adam Sandler and either Leighton Meester, Andy Samberg or Susan Sarandon (That's My Boy)

Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Madea's Witness Protection

Piranha 3DD

Red Dawn

Worst Director

Bill Condon (The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2)

Sean Anders (That's My Boy)

Peter Berg (Battleship)

Tyler Perry (Good Deeds and Madea's Witness Protection)

John Putch (Atlas Shrugged: Part II)

Worst Screenplay

That's My Boy

Atlas Shrugged: Part II

Battleship

A Thousand Words

Worst Screen Ensemble

Battleship

Madea's Witness Protection

The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure

That's My Boy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had completely forgotten about this movie. This was actually in Round 4 (and the final round) of my Bad Movie Night challenge with my roommate, who dared me to watch this as he claimed it was his bad movie trump card. Yes, it's merely a 100-minute Nintendo commercial with pretty bad acting and a script written in crayon, but I made him watch Robotech II: The Sentinels as my counterattack. Maybe that's why I forgot about The Wizard all this time.

• 1 month later...

Since After Earth just opened, it's M. Night Shyalaman week. Care to share your experiences in watching his past films (outside of The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable)?

The Village, I knew the "twist" almost instantly. The modern glass in the windows, and SIgourney Weaver's glasses, were dead giveaways. The only thing keeping me guessing was the normal hollywood glitch (is that a clue? Or did the set dresser not know what he was doing?).

The film itself was OK, nothing great.

The Happening was decent fun, not bad but not great, I would not call the ending any kind of twist though.

• 4 weeks later...

Asylum is just trying to make bad movies. Any connoisseur of bad films will tell you, the best bad movies are the ones that THINK they're good.

I had that exact same conversation about 5 days ago.

While Asylum can be fun (i.e. Debbie Gibson v. Tiffany), it just doesn't have the heart that makes a bad movie fun to watch.

You know that the makers of The Final Sacrifice, Wild Wild Planet, and Armageddon: The Final Challenge (among others) thought they were making something epic.

Edited by Kelsain

I had that exact same conversation about 5 days ago.

While Asylum can be fun (i.e. Debbie Gibson v. Tiffany), it just doesn't have the heart that makes a bad movie fun to watch.

You know that the makers of The Final Sacrifice, Wild Wild Planet, and Armageddon: The Final Challenge (among others) thought they were making something epic.

THANKS!! That's my new triple-feature list!

EDIT: if I wanted to make it a QUADRUPLE feature, I'd add "Escape from Galaxy 3."

Edited by Gubaba

Since After Earth just opened, it's M. Night Shyalaman week. Care to share your experiences in watching his past films (outside of The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable)?

When watching The Village in a movie theater, once the blind girl mentioned that some magic stones would protect them from the "monsters," me and a couple of guys behind me just burst out laughing and couldn't take the film seriously anymore.

"... He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature..."

I friggin love that movie, both on its own & on mst3k.

Of all the bad films I've enjoyed, Armageddon: the Final Challenge is the worst I've seen.

I rented it @ Blockbuster b/c of the poorly photoshopped Y-wing & A-wing on the cover. My pal literally hid behind the sofa during the film. If I mention it to my brother, he still gets angry 15 years later. I love my wife so much that I have spared her that entire time. If you can find it, drink & "enjoy!"

It's got Lee Van Cleef in it, and it's directed by Roger Corman. How can it be bad? Even the critics love it (80% on Rotten Tomatoes).

Well, yeah. It hit the "So bad, it's good" range, which is what we all want to see. Who wants to see "So bad, it's bad" especially when it's DELIBERATELY bad?

"So bad, it's bad" films are common as muck. "So bad, it's good" are the rare diamonds amongst mountains of coal.

Edited by Gubaba

Has anyone posted this film yet?

Saturn 3 was pretty cool for its time, I actually watched it twice, with 15 years apart between each watch. There's nothing this movie should be ashamed especially when you compare it with today's "standards" such as After Earth or the Total Recall remake...

Since E.Y.E.S. of Mars was mentioned earlier in this topic, I'm guessing we can include animated sci-fi as well. so I'm just going to say it : Robotech Shadow Chronicles. I loved Robotech growing up, heck I'm still a fan of the Robotech versions of Macross and Mospeada. But man, storywise, Shadow Chronicles just seemed to drag on, I must have dozed off atleast 5 different times trying to watch the movie,and when i woke up it was finished and I'd have to start over again since I couldnt remember the parts I had seen, It was that forgettable. Eventually I was able to finish the movie. it didnt help that the CGI battle scenes were so terrible looking.As a fan I really wanted to like it, but no matter what, there was just nothing, no feeling of excitement, no anticipation of what comes next, just nothing.

For the record I dont think EYES of Mars was that bad.

ben

To quote Duke Togo: NO.

Looks no worse than any other... although, I admit, the whole "Let's rip off 'Childhood's End' by having a HUGE alien spaceship floating in the sky!" trick has been bugging me since, I dunno, 1994 or thereabouts...

Looks no worse than any other... although, I admit, the whole "Let's rip off 'Childhood's End' by having a HUGE alien spaceship floating in the sky!" trick has been bugging me since, I dunno, 1994 or thereabouts...

Where else would it be floating?

Van Damme made JCVD, and it was fantastic. Critical raves, the whole 9 yards. And what has he done worthwhile since then? Not a goddamned thing.