But they also showed a silhouette for MTRM-13 with the name "Galaxy Meteor". Since it was in April, some people thought it was an April Fool's joke. Scaleface at TFW suggested that it might have something to do with Cross Dimension, but back then we didn't know what Cross Dimension was. I don't think anyone ever seriously thought Galaxy Meteor was part of the Cross Dimension line, and I thought it was always clear that Maketoys was doing both an MP G1 Starscream and an MP Galaxy Force Starscream.

Could be. Now I'm confused. LoL!

Second edit: I think I got it straight. Maketoys is calling their Starscream Meteor. For the Cross Dimension line it is simply Meteor and he will have some fancy Dinobot weapon. For the MP Re:Master line it is as you said, two versions are getting released. Galaxy Meteor is their FoC take on Starscream. Howling Meteor is the G1 version (supposedly), but not much is known about it right now...

Edited by technoblue

I'm sad that we haven't heard any news from Maketoys regarding their Buster/Hydra Darkwing/Dreadwind (I prefer the western paint scheme) homages. :(

I also have to say that Guardia is growing on me. He looks just stunning in many poses. Katana is definitely the worst of the team (1. Axel 2. Vulcan 3. Rover 4. Hi-Med) and the joints in my arms are week (Katanas ratchet for shoulder rotation and Hi-Meds elbow) so I guess I will have to find a way to tighten all the joints down the line (the stupid ankle joint design is somewhat ruining the experience for me).

I also think that Maketoys could have at least added some pegs for the guns in combined mode with all the slots and tabs all over the bot and the weapons but none of them fit well.

Said I wouldn't but I did anyway, FansToys Sever and Stomp are on the way now. I didn't want to commit to something so expensive as MP Dinobots, but Stomp just looked SO good, so I couldn't pass. With Scoria and blue Soar getting re-issues, I figured now was as good a time as any, plus Grinder is on the horizon so what the hell. I eyed Gigapowers stuff too, plus whatever that third option for MP Dinobots was, and they just didn't do it for me, for several different reasons, and I have zero intention of mixing figures from different companies, I'm going FT all the way for my Dinobots. Can't wait, they look good, plus since I am getting Stomp and Sever I can do that quick swap on Sever to seal up his big hole in dino mode.

I mentioned Scoria is getting a re-issue above, but I also just looked and saw Perfect Fusion Cesium is supposed to come out by the end of the year, and I gotta ask, what is the deal with that? He's labeled on most sites as FansToys, like Perfect Fusion is some off-shoot or something, so I guess for all intents and purposes he's a FansToys figure, but is he supposed to be like a Scoria V2? And why is he so much cheaper then most FT Dinobots? I'm just not really understanding these two releases, why re-issue Scoria if they're working on a new Masterpiece Slag? Why would FT make a new figure to compete with a re-issue of another figure of their own? What is your opinion on Scoria for those that own him, I've read he hasn't exactly aged well, and being the first Dinobot release he's apparently missing some of the nicer aspects of the newer Dinobots by FT. My question is, should I wait a decade on news and a release date for Cesium, or would the re-issue Scoria be the way to go? Aesthetically, they both look good, I could go with either, Cesium looks a bit taller, which is nice, and his bot mode looks a little less potatoe-ish, but they're both pretty damn good looking. I also haven't read anything about any updates or tweaks being made on the re-issue Scoria, what exactly were some of the issues with him? Looking at online reviews doesn't help too much, most are too old, and they were based on sample pieces, and most reviewers just gushed over him. I'm a bit lost here honestly, blue Swoop is a guaranteed buy when he's back in stock, Grinder will be mine, but now I'm a bit confused as to what I should do as far as Slag goes.

My crazy conspiracy theory involves a lot of alcohol, a bet and the phrase: "you will never get them to buy another Slag figure".

I guess the idea is that they feel that their Scoria is their weakest toy (nope it's Tesla) and that they want to put something out there that fits better with the whole aesthetic of the line now that they doing all five of the Dinobots. I guess enough people complained about the potato that the figured it might get enough attention to sell enough copies.

Regarding the price I think the designer of Kronos mentioned that the profit margin on these toys is huge and that they are much more expensive than they could be. There is also the rumor that an ominous middle man in China controls the distribution of these toys for most of the companies out there. The rumor has it that this middle man takes a cut on every toy that goes through his distribution network (IIRC someone say around $30 on the larger figures). If this is true maybe FansToys found a way around this middle man or they are willing to reduce the profit margins because they want to stay competitive with GigaPower who also lowered the MSRP for their Dinobots to $135 from $200.

Here is a link to TFW with a recap of all the gossip about the 3rd party market: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/1074702-plastic-empire-podcast-interview-chris-sterett-dr-wu-2.html#post13759837

BTW: I hope you get the googly eyes with Stomp, they are the best accessory ever. ^_^

Edited by Scyla

My crazy conspiracy theory involves a lot of alcohol, a bet and the phrase: "you will never get them to buy another Slag figure".

I guess the idea is that they feel that their Scoria is their weakest toy (nope it's Tesla) and that they want to put something out there that fits better with the whole aesthetic of the line now that they doing all five of the Dinobots. I guess enough people complained about the potato that the figured it might get enough attention to sell enough copies.

Regarding the price I think the designer of Kronos mentioned that the profit margin on these toys is huge and that they are much more expensive than they could be. There is also the rumor that an ominous middle man in China controls the distribution of these toys for most of the companies out there. The rumor has it that this middle man takes a cut on every toy that goes through his distribution network (IIRC someone say around $30 on the larger figures). If this is true maybe FansToys found a way around this middle man or they are willing to reduce the profit margins because they want to stay competitive with GigaPower who also lowered the MSRP for their Dinobots to $135 from $200.

Here is a link to TFW with a recap of all the gossip about the 3rd party market: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/1074702-plastic-empire-podcast-interview-chris-sterett-dr-wu-2.html#post13759837

BTW: I hope you get the googly eyes with Stomp, they are the best accessory ever. ^_^

Well damn, this is a lot to take in, some shenanigans indeed. I guess overall I'll just get the re-issue Scoria, when/if Perfect Fusion Cesium ever actually gets a physical prototype I'll consider maybe eyeballing a pre-order. It seems FansToys REALLY try to make all of their fans happy, they've included so many extra little nit-picked things to later releases, like completely new heads for all of the bots with Grinder, or the underside panels for Sever that come with Stomp, it really seems like they will try to fix even the most minor complaints fans throw at them. Hell that's probably why they're willing to essentially do a Scoria V2, and their own completely new take on Grimlock. Scoria looks pretty solid to me, the re-issue has to have some updates and tweaks, I'm just not sure what criticisms people had about him in the first place, he's always seemed really solid to me, the only thing I can really immediately point out is the odd potatoe-like shape on his Dino mode, and even that's not that bad.

On FT's Dibots: I'm probably going to wait for Cesium. But I'm already taking the long road with the X releases. My fuzzy memory recalls one notable issue with the first run Scoria release: loose joints. I don't have the problem with Sever at all, so maybe Fans Toys figured it out, or maybe it is a tolerance thing that only certain people nitpick. Here is the TFW thread. Opinion seems split down the middle:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/992626-does-you-scoria-have-hip-issue-please-watch-video-vote-2.html

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the X versions of Stomp and Soar, which I hope will release close to their original estimated August release dates.

I'm not sold on Unique Toys quality when it comes to fit and finish but it looks like a whole bunch of fun. I also love the name. ^_^

I don't get the name either. I also don't get the size. This version of Springer looks like he is trying to compete with the GigaPower dinos in some 3P Transformers bodybuilding competition.

Edited by technoblue

That looks like fun:

I'm not sold on Unique Toys quality when it comes to fit and finish but it looks like a whole bunch of fun. I also love the name. ^_^

I have Buzzing, Unique Toys version of MP Blurr and its solid as. The transformation is relatively simple and intuitive and locks together well in both modes. Plastic is solid. I have some aesthetic gripes with it but I can't fault the fit and finish.

I also have one of their earlier releases, a Sharky, and it's pretty crap. They have come a long way.

I still want to see how Maketoys' turns out, but I've been thinking for awhile that Mightron looks pretty good (way better than Apollyon). I don't even think the kibble on his back is too heinous. My biggest gripe is the empty hollow spaces on the sides of his chest.

Also, FYI, tons of reviews coming!

I still want to see how Maketoys' turns out, but I've been thinking for awhile that Mightron looks pretty good (way better than Apollyon). I don't even think the kibble on his back is too heinous. My biggest gripe is the empty hollow spaces on the sides of his chest.

Also, FYI, tons of reviews coming!

Do you have Apollyon? I think his dimensions are better. A pain to transform and I have no issues with that. But I like how Xbots has curved calfs. But I intend to own all three.

Sowing the seeds of doubt: DX9's MP Mightron. :p This Megatron doesn't look that bad, methinks.

Anyway, I am glad that I decided to sit back and wait on the reviews. ^_^

That's looking good, agreed on the kibble not being much of a bother, and Apollyon looking far worse in comparison. That price is on point too, how do you make your MP Megatron look tempting right off the bat, offer it for less then your competitors. I really don't want any MP Cons, but this guy is looking really good, and at that price I may just have to bite...

Do you have Apollyon? I think his dimensions are better. A pain to transform and I have no issues with that. But I like how Xbots has curved calfs. But I intend to own all three.

No, I generally don't collect figures that size (unless they're made of 5-6 smaller guys). I've watched reviews, though. DX9 has a much better head, and while I get that some people like XTB's curved shins I prefer how DX9 fills out the legs without a ton of kibble panels. Finally, DX9 has the best fusion cannon-to-robot proportions.

Not hating on Apollyon; he absolutely destroyed MP5, and I'm not saying that Mightron looks so much better that people who got Apollyon should rush out and upgrade. I do think if someone were shopping for an MP Megatron today that Mightron would win over Apollyon if they were the same price. With Mightron being something like $25-$30 less here's looking that much more appealing.

Like I said, though, I do want to see how Despotron shakes out. The latest pics I saw made his legs look kinda chunky, but I'm really impressed with how clean his back is.

Edited by mikeszekely

Before I get into the real new stuff, here's some quick tidbits:

-Fansproject Function-X6 Knight, aka Sixknight, is a repaint of Function-XV M.A.D.L.A.W. Since Sixknight was the same toy as Quickswitch, just in different colors for the Japanese market, Knight is exactly the same as M.A.D.L.A.W. except colored like Sixknight. While Quickswitch was the toy we had in the States, I don't think he appeared in anything but commercials, so Sixknight has the advantage of appearing in a few episodes of Transformers Masterforce in Japan. Even if he didn't, I like his mix of blues and grays over M.A.D.L.A.W's red and teal. Long story short, read my review of M.A.D.L.A.W, everything applies to Knight except that I like him slightly better. On that note, if anyone wants a M.A.D.L.A.W. that was transformed twice, had a pair of Reprolabel Autobot insignia placed on him, and then was stuck in a Detolf for the last few months for $60 shipped (continental US only), PM me.

I got a knock off MP Prowl and MP Wheeljack, mostly for size comparisons but partly curiosity. I don't collect MPs, but the MP cars seem to fit my personal scale. So, yeah, DX9 Invisible is roughly MP-sized.

post-187-0-35064500-1472177382_thumb.jpg

In vehicle mode, he may actually be a little large (although no more so than Sphinx, from what I gather).

post-187-0-67204700-1472177390_thumb.jpg

Same goes for Disorder.

post-187-0-42378700-1472177446_thumb.jpg

post-187-0-88941700-1472177456_thumb.jpg

Does that make them MP? I'm of the position that you can call the Fansproject Stunticons MP and display them with your official and unofficial MP toys if that makes you happy. On the flip side, as I said I don't consider myself an MP collector, but I think they fit in my collection just fine. As far as I'm concerned, the takeaway is that Disorder, Invisible, MP Wheeljack, and MP Prowl are roughly the same size, and that size is roughly Voyager.

And for those of you who are curious, Wheeljack seems fine. I checked a list of known issues people were having with Wheeljack, and the only one I was having (but don't care about) is that the slot for pegging his pistol under the car is too shallow for actually plugging it in. But I've had no trouble getting him to hold his gun, and no trouble securing his torso. His paint seems mostly fine, and his joints seem... ok? I'd prefer them a little tighter, but he's not floppy, and I don't have a real MP car to know if that's just par for them. Prowl likewise looks ok, but his joints are a little looser than Wheeljack's. Most of his joints will still hold a pose fine, but his hips are awful.

Oddly, Prowl seems like he's trying harder to be a counterfeit. The box and everything says Takara Tomy; I think you'd have to know what to look for to know that it's a KO. Wheeljack, on the other hand, proudly displays "Takasa Tony" on the box.

I don't plan on doing full reviews for either, since I see myself as covering 3P and a KO of an official is basically reviewing an official. But if you guys want the full write up, let me know and I might change my mind. In the mean time, I've got 8 actual 3P figures to photograph for review.

Alright, since everything I've ordered from Chinese stores/sellers since late July happened to clear customs and arrive at the same time I shipped my stack I've got a ton of stuff to talk about, so let's get the ball rolling with TFC's Aiakos, their version of Guyhawk.

post-187-0-14187700-1472228829_thumb.jpg

Aiakos recalls to mind the relationship between Hypnos (Drillhorn) and Thanatos (Killbison). Hypnos, if you recall, evoked basically the same silhouette as Thanatos despite being extensively remolded, and that's basically the same thing here. Aiakos is an extensive remold of Minos (Hellbat). Almost every part you can see is new; the only parts that seem to be the same are joints, the feet, and the biceps. Thing thing is, while stuff like the thighs, hip armor, shins, etc might be new molds, they have the same basic shape as Minos, and that keeps him from feeling "fresh."

Aesthetically, Aiakos fits well with the rest of his teammates, which is to say that he's a mix of toy, 'toon, and chest that's distinctly neither. It's hard for me to get worked up one way or the other as I don't have particularly strong feelings about the character. I'll say that, for the most part, the design works fine for me, and I still think that the team looks like a super sentai team. The usual complaint that the animal eyes on his helmet should have been painted still applies, but this time I also find myself wishing that they'd painted the beak.

post-187-0-28458400-1472228849_thumb.jpg

I'll give credit where credit is due, they do a pretty good head sculpt. Aiakos nails Guyhawk's big, aviator glasses-looking eyes, and they gave him a sort of condescending smirk.

Of course, Aiakos comes with his breast partner, which can attach to his chest and looks nothing like either the cartoon or the toy.

post-187-0-92213000-1472228869_thumb.jpg

For better or worse, Aiakos has the same articulation as Minos; ball jointed head, shoulders hinged for lateral movement where the armor connects to the body and where the arm connects to the armor and mushroom pegged for rotation where the armor connects to the body, double-jointed elbows, bicep, wrist, and waist swivels, universal hips with thigh rotation, single-jointed knees, zero ratchets. His solidly built, and his friction joints are certainly tight enough, but there's a noticeable squeaking when moving some of the joints in his hips. I'm hesitant to say that they're too tight, though, since his hips will become Hades' elbows.

The breastplate turns into a little robot bird. If Cerberus' little jaguar is Ravage, then I'd say that Aiakos has Lazerbeak. That comparison isn't totally fair, though, because of all the Hades team Aiakos' partner most-resembles his cartoon inspiration.

In theory, his breast buddy also turns into a gun for Aiakos. I say in theory because, like Minos and his partner, the armor around his wrist is too tall and the peg on the partner too short.

post-187-0-66189000-1472228896_thumb.jpg

Fortunately, in a first for the Hades team, Aiakos actually comes with some guns that aren't breast buddies. He's got a pair of long rifles, and one big cannon.

post-187-0-53214400-1472228905_thumb.jpg

That's not all Aiakos comes with. Just like Minos, Aiakos comes with both the left and right combiner hands. There are some differences from the ones that come with Minos, though. They're missing some of the gold and silver paint on the back of the hand, and instead of claws the hands the come with Aiakos end in small holes.

post-187-0-63185000-1472228914_thumb.jpg

Remove the little wrist attachment parts, bend the peg down, and fold the hands in half and guess what? More guns! It's a nice touch that TFC tried to find a use for the hands outside of combined mode. That way, since the feet are integrated into Thanatos and Hypnos, you can use all of the combiner stuff outside of combined mode. That said, they're not the best-looking guns, and I like the claws and paint apps on the hands that came with Minos, so I'm planning on using them.

It's also kind of a shame that Aiakos comes with five guns for a six member team. Maybe Thanatos is stuck using his back cannons?

post-187-0-21587300-1472228927_thumb.jpg

Aiakos turns into a MiG-29 fighter jet. The transformation is identical to Minos, for better or worse. I think it's a passable job that, aside from his arms, doesn't carry too much robot kibble on the underside. The color and markings are basically the same as the original toy's, minus the black outline of the gold on the wings. As with the with other jets, the yellow gold from the toys has been replaced with a nice metallic gold and the orange-painted canopy replaced with translucent red plastic.

One big difference from Minos, though is that the intakes don't catch on his back during transformation.

post-187-0-99981300-1472228935_thumb.jpg

Like the other jets in the set, Aiakos has working landing gear, a canopy that opens, and the ability to plug his breast partner onto the underside of the jet (really, the same place he goes in bot mode). His front landing gear doesn't really reach the ground. He's also got 5mm ports under his wings, and you can plug weapons in there. However, the joints in his wings aren't really strong enough to support the weight of those guns.

In a lot of ways, Aiakos is probably the best of the set. He's everything I liked about Minos with fewer issues. At the same time, I can't help but be a tad disappointed that the best of the set really isn't any better than this. It's not even that he's bad: he's a solid figure in his own right. The thing is, he's $100 at most of the big US stores, and the reality is that 3P has really come a long way just in the last year, and compared to some of the other $100 figures out there right now Aiakos just doesn't feel as good. That said, if you want a Guyhawk (or really, Liokaiser) in your collection it's pretty much this or wait for who knows how long to see how Mech Ideas shakes out. And if you don't mind shopping Ebay you can find Aiakos for around $80 from reputable Chinese sellers. At that price, Aiakos seems like a more worthwhile purchase and is easier for me to recommend.

Let's just get this over with. <_< Here's the combined Hades, TFC's Liokaiser.

post-187-0-98404500-1472264609_thumb.jpg

Yup, that sure looks like Liokaiser to me! Aesthetically speaking, the biggest departures from either the toy or the cartoon are the lack of white thighs and biceps, the noses of the planes sticking out a bit more on the shoulders, the canopy on Rhadamanthus faces outward instead of inward (which I actually prefer), Thanatos' tank top stays attached, and he's got big, black, two-toed feet instead of the little fold-out panels the original toy used. Even his proportions aren't too bad; his waist is a little thin, but that's honestly a problem for a lot of combiners, and having the tanks attach so the side of the tank is a shin instead of the top or bottom makes the legs look thinner, so it's not horrible.

post-187-0-47521900-1472264618_thumb.jpg

Even from the back Hades cleans up pretty well.

So for articulation, Hades' head neck is the same ball joint that Rhadamanthus uses. His shoulders are on ratchets for rotation as well as lateral movement, the degree of which I did not test (more on that later). His bicep swivels are the jets' waist swivels, and his elbows are their (friction) hips. He gets just under 90 degrees of bend with is arms transformed like this, which is both the most naturally-proportioned and how the back of Aiakos' box indicates they should be transformed. If you want a double-jointed elbow with much better range, you can transform the jets per the back of Minos' box by rotating them 180 degrees at the waist and extending the legs. Hades' wrists can swivel, and each finger is individually-articulated with each finger hinged at the base with two additional hinged knuckles, and the thumb on a ball joint plus two hinged knuckles. Hades' waist can swivel. His hips are ratcheted for both forward/backward and lateral movement, but I again didn't test the the range. The tanks can twist on their combiner pegs, acting as thighs swivels. His knees rotate via the combiner port inside the tanks on strong ratchets. His ankles are kind of weird. Basically, his feet aren't one solid piece, they're two identical halves with one half acting as the toes and one half as the heel. They can rotate independently, and they they have ratcheted ankle tilts.

post-187-0-70879000-1472264626_thumb.jpg

One neat trick Hades uses to avoid having a bunch of combined mode parts that sit around doing nothing in the other modes is to store Hades' head inside Rhadamanthus' body. When you put him in Liokaiser mode, Hades' head folds out on an armature over Rhadamanthus' head. That's not the trick: other toys have done that over the years. But unless the armature can rotate around the neck, it usually hampers the larger head. TFC's solution was simple: the end of the armature is a peg. Once Hades' head is in place, you can unpeg it and fold the armature back away.

post-187-0-45315400-1472264635_thumb.jpg

Rather than use Killbison's tank top as a gun, the guns that came with Aiakos combine into a gun for Hades. The handle has pegs that fit neatly into peg holes on his palms. He can also carry the spear that came with Hypnos, although there doesn't seem to be any way to secure it in his hand.

post-187-0-01398300-1472264642_thumb.jpg

And, of course, the spear comes apart and he can wield his electromagnetic nunchucku.

post-187-0-00568200-1472264668_thumb.jpg

In terms of size, Hades is about the same height as Warbotron Bruticus, which puts him perfectly in what's sometimes referred to as "Warbotron scale," the borderline standard for 3P combiners now. I'd take some pics to show how he's smaller than Constructor or bigger than the Fansproject/Maketoys bunch, but I didn't want to. Because it's a pain. Because he's a pain.

You see, from the waist up, Hades comes out pretty strong. My only complain there was that his elbows really should have been ratcheted (non-ratcheted hips turning into elbows is dated engineering), but even then the friction joints are nice and tight. And Rhadamanthus plugs into Cerberus very securely. But, from the waist down Hades is a train wreck. I mean, I watched Skullface's review and thought, "man, he's exaggerating, he's always kind of negative." I watched emgo's review and emgo didn't seem to have the problems that Skullface did. I'm severely disappointed to tell you that Skullface wasn't exaggerating, he was totally on the mark. Hades' hip ratchets are too loose- not Uranos loose, but loose enough to cause problems. Problems exacerbated by the fact that Hades still uses the same Energon-style combiner ports that TFC has been using since Hercules, combiner ports that have far too much play in the knees. And yeah, the sides of the tanks transformed per the instructions run right up against Hades' thighs so the slightest wiggle in those oh-so-wiggly knees starts to push the sides of the tanks apart. I solved that problem by pulling the top-most segment out so it's not flush, but I've got no answers for the ratchets in the hips and the loosey-goosey knees, and while photographic Hades for this review he fell over two or three times. The only way I could get him to stand is by having him stand up straight, gun hand not holding the gun very high to minimize the weight pulling him forward, and the spear hand actually bracing the spear against the ground. No dynamic poses here.

Honestly, I can't recommend Hades. Like, at all. I mean, yeah, if you wanted the Breastforce in your collection they're decent toys individually, but if you want Liokaiser just wait for Mech Ideas. I doubt it could be worse.

I really hope that Mech Ideas combiner will be the same size than the MT/FP combiners. I prefer them over the Warbotron scale. Speaking of FP TFSource has their Dinoking at a significant discount. This probably means that I won't get a Monstructor out of it. I wonder if I should get Dinoking instead.

Thank you for your extensive review Mike.

Good review.

The functionality of the gestalt joints are one of my BIG worries with combiners, and that goes back to my childhood days when I would play with G1 Defensor and the few Constructicons/Predicons that I was lucky enough to get. For me to break down and buy any now, I need to be confident that the combined figure can pose well while also being sturdy in its different poses. I don't want to constantly fight ratchets or joints, or worse (gravity). Otherwise, I will probably continue to pass on the complete sets to get only the individual bots that I like.

In other news, MT's Striker Manus seems to be the source of many rumors. Initially, he was being hyped as a figure that would get an armor set. I was into that, myself. Now that rumor is being challenged at TFW and MT is being very quiet about future plans. Another new armored Optimus was mentioned as a separate figure (Thunder Convoy), and I don't really know how that will work with the new line. Anyway, all this debate has cooled my jets and I am taking a wait and see approach on Manus and anything else Cross Dimension until there is more official information.

The last thing I need to do is buy stuff based on hype. :nea:

I'm still in for Striker Manus. He looks like a really fun figure and I think he might just be the perfect size for my own "mikeszekely" scale, even without any armor.

I'll know better when I have him in hand, but it sounds like there are attachment points for something on Striker. I personally think the talk about Thunder Convoy really just rules out an upgrade for Striker as being Postmaster Prime/Super Ginrai.

EDIT: Power outage borked up my review. Actually, power outage borked up my whole desktop. While it runs scandisk, I'm fixing this on my laptop...

Well, Hades left a bad taste, so how about a palate cleanser? Here's Ku Bian Bao's KBBMP10-V, a roughly Voyager-sized down-scaled version of MP-10.

post-187-0-76518400-1472342852_thumb.jpg

MP10-V isn't a KO the way those KO MP cars I got are. He's not a straight up reverse-engineered 1:1 copy. In addition to being down-scaled, he actually has some mold changes. If he was scaled up so his torso were the same size as MP-10's, MP10-V would have longer thighs and longer lower legs than MP-10, so MP10-V actually has better proportions. KBB also used quite a bit of diecast in MP10-V, so despite being smaller he weighs nearly as much as MP-10 (although I don't have a scale to accurately compare them with).

In addition to a fine-looking Optimus Prime toy, KBB through a ton of extra stuff in the box.

post-187-0-20292400-1472342859_thumb.jpg

In addition to the attached head (far left), which is a copy of MP-10's, he comes with three extra heads. One is Orion Pax; I'm not sure where KBB got the design for the other two. I personally think that the default head still looks the best, but if KBB does recolors the way other MP-10 KOs do it might be handy to have alternate heads to make them look more visually distinct. I think the third head would look pretty good on a black Nemesis Prime recolor, for example.

post-187-0-90481500-1472342870_thumb.jpg

He doesn't just come with heads, though. He also comes with a jet pack, his energon-axe, the Matrix, a Megatron gun, his rifle, and a sword. The energon-axe is a down-scaled version of the one that comes with MP-10 and fits over Prime's fist. The Megatron gun is done in diecast. It's quite nice, but due to the curve of the grip and the lack of tabs MP10-V can't seem to hold it.

post-187-0-33075500-1472342887_thumb.jpg

Here's a quick comparison of MP10-V's Matrix with other Matrices I have.

post-187-0-32858600-1472342893_thumb.jpg

The Matrix, of course, fits into Prime's chest.

post-187-0-53020200-1472342900_thumb.jpg

The jet pack has a pair of posts inside. Since it's mostly hollow, it fits over Prime's own back easily, and the pegs secure the jet pack in place by fitting into screw holes near the base of Prime's back.

post-187-0-88997000-1472342907_thumb.jpg

Unlike MP-10's Matrix, MP10-V's has the opening gimmick that MP-01's did. As for the rifle, it does fold up and can still be stored in Prime's back. However, it's no longer spring-loaded, and it doesn't extend the way MP-10's rifle does.

post-187-0-34051500-1472342913_thumb.jpg

Let's be fair... MP-10's rifle was already not the best-looking rifle and it seemed, IMHO, a little smallish for for him (I often displayed my MP-10 with MP-01's gun). While MP10-V's rifle certainly fits neatly into his hand, it's inability to extend makes it look even worse.

As for the sword, if I'm not mistaken it appears to be based on one of the Age of Extinction toys. Like the Megatron gun, the swords is entirely diecast with some nice gold paint in the blade. MP10-V can hold it, but there's no tabs for his palms so it's entirely friction.

MP10-V doesn't come with a trailer, but supposedly KBB is making one and it'll be sold separately.

Let's get into the meat and potatoes of this review, shall we? I'm not going to go too much into aesthetics or articulation, because he's basically MP-10 and almost everyone who's into Transformers is at least familiar with at least one version of the MP-10 mold. What I'm mostly going to do is compare him with MP-10, talk about what's different, and show him off with a few other figures for a sense of scale.

post-187-0-60692400-1472342920_thumb.jpg

Ok, the first time I wrote this, before the power outage, I detailed all the tiny differences. And you know what? I don't feel like doing all that again. Visually, you can see how MP10-V's got some slightly different paint apps here and there (back and truck shots to follow). So I'll just focus on differences that might not be clear from just looking at pictures. And the main differences are:

-Slightly different proportions in the biceps, thighs, and lower legs.

-Much greater use of diecast.

-Sideview mirrors aren't a separate piece. They're molded into the side windows and painted, and they can't fold inward.

-The smokestacks are similarly one piece. No more sliding gimmick, and no holes molded in the top.

-The stuff inside his chest is different. It's red, not black, and the only cover for the Matrix is the bumper.

-In addition to the diecast, I'd say that the plastic quality is much better on MP10-V than at least the Hasbro version of MP-10. When I'm struggling to tell what's actually diecast and what's plastic, that's a good thing.

-Crotch doesn't protrude as much, and the yellow translucent pieces on MP-10 are just molded detail painted gold.

-Much better joints. I don't know how the original Takara MP-10 was, but the Hasbro one has a reputation for being kind of loose, especially in the hips and knees. Not MP10-V. Every joint is nice and tight. Dare I say, perfect.

post-187-0-61758000-1472342928_thumb.jpg

A look at truck mode. Again, you can see some differences in the painted details, but the big difference here that didn't show up in bot mode is that the feet don't have that slider that brings them together in this mode. MP10-V still has rubber tires and the slots for the upcoming trailer. Rolls perfectly.

post-187-0-28470700-1472342939_thumb.jpg

Now I know that Prime should be bigger than the MP cars according to the almighty Sunbow chart, and I know that there's no way they're going to scale in alt mode, but there are apparently enough scenes in the old cartoon where either Prime was closer to the cars in size or the cars were closer to Prime in size that I actually don't think that MP10-V looks too bad with MP Wheeljack here. In a perfect world, maybe he'd be a little taller (hello, Striker Manus!), but push comes to shove I prefer MP10-V to Wheeljack than MP-10 to Wheeljack.

post-187-0-72644700-1472342947_thumb.jpg

MP10-V with a G1 reissue and Evasion Mode Optimus Prime. Ok, but why those two, you ask?

post-187-0-83349800-1472342965_thumb.jpg

They're all about the same size in truck mode. It's a weird thing to hone in on, but it's probably one of the things I like best about him. It's a truck, only marginally bigger than the original Optimus Prime toy from 1984, that actually transforms into a robot that looks like the cartoon. The MP toys have been doing a good job of capturing the look of the cartoon for awhile, but somehow it's more impressive to me when they're not way bigger than the original G1 toys.

post-187-0-73763000-1472342974_thumb.jpg

But honestly, the toy that looks and scales the best with MP10-V might be ToyWorld's Hegemon. People complained that when ToyWorld released Orion that he was too tall, because people don't like their Primes bigger than their Megatrons. But MP10-V and Hegemon are almost identical in height, and they look so good together you can't help but recreate scenes like their fight on the dam in "More Than Meets the Eye pt. 3".

Honestly, I can't recommend this guy enough. He's got better proportions, better joints, and a better all-around feel than MP-10, and the best part is he can be had for around $60. At that price, everyone should get one. If KBB doesn't slack on quality, I'll probably buy one of every and any recolor they do (Nemesis black, Ultra Magnus white, Powered Convoy/Delta Magnus blue, Shattered Glass, Evangelion, BAPE red, BAPE green, Pepsi Convoy, you name it, I want it). Seriously, even if you're thinking you don't need him because you already have MP-10, and MP-10 scales just fine with your MP collection, get one anyway. Display him with your CHUGs. Put him on your desk at work. However you have to justify it to yourself, you won't be sorry.

Edited by mikeszekely

attachicon.gif11.jpg

As impressive as he is, I'm not sure how I feel about recommending Constructor. I'm not entirely sure that he's the best Devastator you can buy. Aesthetically-speaking, there's a lot I still like about Maketoys' Green Giant, and the prototype pics for Generation Toys' Gravity Builder look pretty great as well.

The Toyworld Constructicons are spot-on G1 individually, but the Devy mode is not. The head sculpt, the thin midriffs, the overly long forearms and the silver thighs.

I'll wait for the green v2 before deciding whether to take the plunge.

Also, on Mixmaster's mixing drum. The purple looks better in vehicle mode (else it is too green), but in Devy mode, for Constructor, it looks better with the green. Purple makes it too "colorful". This is different on other Devys because their legs are green throughout.

Also, on Mixmaster's mixing drum. The purple looks better in vehicle mode (else it is too green), but in Devy mode, for Constructor, it looks better with the green. Purple makes it too "colorful". This is different on other Devys because their legs are green throughout.

Respectfully, I must disagree. While it's certainly toy-accurate to have a green drum, and it does create a certain symmetry in the coloring of his legs, I didn't have Devastator as a kid. My impressions of him are shaped entirely by the cartoon (and even at that, probably 90% by Transformers: The Movie). Cartoon Devy has a purple drum, so any Devy with a green (or gray) drum looks off to me.

But if you enjoyed that review (I hope you did!), hang in there! Constructor won't be the only Devastator I'll be looking at... ;)

I've got TW's Bonecrusher coming on Wednesday and I'm pretty stoked. It'll be my first TW Constructor (I've had Unearth on PO through Captured Prey for months now, and I still don't think they have him in stock :wacko: ). I'm hoping there won't be any issues, but I ordered through TFSource, who, by all accounts, have really good customer service. I hope the second release of the green versions is announced soon, and that Burden gets a bit of an overhaul to address some of his glaring flaws.

More pics of Despotron and his Cybertronian equivalent were posted on TFW2005 yesterday. http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/08/28/maketoys-despotron-rioter-despotron-new-images-324034 Every new pic I see of Despotron furthers my good impression of the figure. I think I'll wait for initial reviews before committing, but I'm about 90% sold on him already. I like my Apollyon alot, but he's a bit of a burden to transform, is fidgety, esp in the waist section which untabs very easily, and has pretty limited shoulder movement. Despotron, OTOH, looks like he'll be a lot more fun to transform and pose. I hope I'm right. Props to Maketoys, as they made him very clean, and I love the engineering in his torso to encompass his trigger and trigger guard. Apollyon satisfies the G1 transformation for me, so the non-standard transformation won't bother me if the robot mode makes up for it with solidarity and good articulation.

I've got TW's Bonecrusher coming on Wednesday and I'm pretty stoked...

Aww, you didn't wait for me to review the other Devastators...

...which I will start to do right now, with Generation Toy's Scraper. I'd think that'd be a better name for a bulldozer like Bonecrusher, but if you add a 'p' you get Scrapper, so that's the way GT went.

post-187-0-65931300-1472522915_thumb.jpg

Let's see, silver and purple torso, green arms with wheels on the shoulders, silver thighs, green wheeled lower legs, black head, red visor, silver mouth plate, bucket chilling out behind his shoulders... yep, looks like Scrapper to me. That said, he is a bit more stylized than Combiner Wars Scrapper, especially in the head. The torso also trades out CW's Scrapper's molded G1 sticker details for more symmetrical panels. A little red mixed in there would have been nice, but I love the large flat surface just asking for a Decepticon emblem.

Compared with CW Scrapper, we can see that Scraper is roughly Voyager-sized. This would also make them roughly the same size as most of the limb bots in my 3P combiner collection. I like this size; I could justify the ToyWorld Constructicons in my collection because they weren't larger than torso bots, but Scraper is more in line with the bulk of my collection. That being said, there was a lot of hype around ToyWorld's Constructicons as being the first truly "MP-sized" combiner. While I'm a firm believer that everyone can do whatever the heck they want with their toys, it would be my opinion that Scraper is NOT an MP Scrapper.

Oh, and I threw in Generations Scoop, too. I could say it's to compare Scraper to a Deluxe-class toy, but honestly it's because Scoop's also a guy who turns into a front loader and carries the bucket on his back behind his shoulders. Transformers that turn into front loaders with buckets on their backs are cool in my book.

post-187-0-84060200-1472522921_thumb.jpg

Scraper's got average modern 3P figure articulation, which is to say it's pretty good. His head is ball-jointed, with a decent amount of up/down range and no problem turning but little in the way of lateral tilt. His shoulders have nice strong ratchets for rotation and a friction hinge for lateral movement. He can get mostly 90 degrees before his tires hit his head, and extending the shoulder reveals some molded pieces. He's got bicep and wrist swivels, and his elbow can bend 90 degrees on a friction hinge. All of his fingers are on a single pin so they can open and close, and his hands are molded so that the trigger finger is a little further out than the other three, which is a nice touch. He's got a waist swivel and universal hips. The his are ratcheted for forward and backward movement. In theory, they could go all the way forward and backward, but in practice you'll get one click shy each way because his leg will hit the cab in the back, and if it goes too far forward it'll force his hip skirts off the ball joints they're on. They're just friction joints for lateral movement and they can go full splits. Now, I've heard the first run of Scraper had sort of loose hips and replacement parts came with another guy in the set, but I'm happy to report that my Scraper has nice, tight hips, so the issue also seems to have been corrected with a running change at the factory. Scraper's got thigh swivels just below the hip joints, and ratcheted knees that get 90 degrees of bend. His feet are kind of odd. Like Maketoys' Vulcan, his feet aren't connected to the end of the leg. Instead, there's a rotating piece on the outside of his leg, just below the tire. That piece has an armature on a hinge so, and the armature terminates in another hinge on the back half of the foot. Meanwhile, the front of the foot is connected to the back on a double hinge with a gap so that when the foot is lying flat the armature is folded under leg between halves of the foot. The rotating part on the leg gives Scraper just a shade of forward tilt and a good amount of backwards tilt, and the hinge connected to foot provides far more inward ankle tilt than you could possible need. The other hinge on the armature is really for transformation, but you can use it to stretch his feet out a little. The double hinge between the halves of the feet is also meant for transformation but you can use it to point his toes downward if you wish.

Scraper's lone accessory is his gun, which is a black piece with a nice silver barrel and a hinge in the handle. There aren't any tabs on the handle or his palms to help him grip it, but the way his hand and thumb are molded provide enough friction on the handle. Plus, there are little notches in the armor on top of his forearm that the gun nestles into. I'd have liked a more secure connection, but I'm not concerned that he's going to drop it or anything.

post-187-0-64337900-1472522927_thumb.jpg

Scraper, as one would expect from a Scrapper toy, turns into a front loader. He's a big, tough-looking loader that looks far more suited to heavy duty work CW Scrapper or Scoop. His wheels are a hard rubber, or at least a rubber-like plastic that is a separate piece from the rim. The bucket's arms have four points of articulation: ratchets where they connect to the torso, pinned hinges where they connect to the bucket, and two addition hinges between them. There's plenty of posing you can do with them, but unlike many of the other Scrapper options out there there's no connections between the arms themselves so the arms don't exactly move the same way at the same time. It's a minor quibble, but something to be mindful of both when posing him in alt mode and when transforming him between modes.

post-187-0-06114100-1472522935_thumb.jpg

There are a lot of nice details on him in this mode: silver paint on the hubcaps, the aforementioned rubber tires, caution marks, painted lights, the painted engine grill, other silver and black paint apps, translucent windows on the operator's cabin, an exhaust pipe on the rear, plus ladders and safety rails (that I'm now realizing I have backward in these pics) as separate, movable pieces. I think he looks more like a real-life front loader than most other options for Scrapper. The illusion is slightly marred, however, by the very visible combiner port in Scraper's cab and, to a lesser extent, by his silver thighs (and the gap between them) poking out between the engine and the cab.

post-187-0-18180200-1472522943_thumb.jpg

Best of all, Scraper's gun stows away in alt mode. You'll recall from my Disorder review that that I have a preference for this vs just setting the weapons off to the side somewhere or pegging the weapon in some random spot on the alt mode. I mean, you can sometimes get away with that on Transformers that turn into military vehicles where you'd expect some kind of weapons, but "car with missile launchers on the roof" or "construction vehicle with a cannon hanging on one side" doesn't exactly say "robots in disguise" to me. Stowing Scraper's gun in alt mode doesn't just hide it away while keeping it on him, it actually provides a little extra stability.

Between Disorder and Scraper, it's very clear that GT/TFM are passionate about their products. Scraper's made of quality materials with quality paint apps. He comes in the same sort of packaging that I raved about when I reviewed Disorder. But there are also things about him that were odd, perhaps over-engineered design choices that don't always work in his favor. Rather than the usual open flap/fold out fist/close flap method of transforming his fists his fists are spring-loaded and pop out whenever you open the cover. Neat, sure, but his fists don't feel as solid as other figures, and at best you have a flap hanging on the back of his arm. Then there's those safety rails. Sure, they had a degree of realism to the alt mode, but they do nothing in leg mode and if you transform them the "correct" way they sit on the front of his arms and hinder his elbow articulation in bot mode. Fortunately, you can just fold them around to the back of the arm, where they can helpfully hold down the fist-flap (which is probably why you never see photos of the "correct" transformation). In transforming him to alt mode, rather than simply allow the elbow joint to bend 90 degrees backward GT set it up so you have to turn the arm 180 degrees at the bicep, then to keep the ladder on the outside you unpeg it and fold it out, spin it around, then fold it back down and peg it on the other side. And instead of collapsing the thighs into the legs, GT put a joint in the thighs so that the thighs bend there and at the knee to go perpendicular. The joint is just a friction joint, and there are no tabs or anything to keep the thigh together in robot mode. It's worth noting that the joint is pretty stiff; it doesn't move when you move his knee joint, although it does have a tendency to move when you're trying to move his leg forward at the hip.

On the whole, though, I think these are relatively minor complaints. Truth is, I dig Scraper a lot. He's well-built and well-toleranced, which we know isn't always the case with even official Transformers toys. I really do dig the design a lot, and he's got an intangible "fun" factor that makes me want to play with him and transform him. I'd definitely recommend Scraper if you want a good Scrapper toy. However, I think it should be clear by now that one good figure doesn't guarantee five or six good figures, and it definitely doesn't guarantee a good combined mode. I like him enough to try the rest, though, so be sure to watch this space in the coming weeks/months for their reviews.

Edited by mikeszekely

I've heard a lot of great things about MPP10, but I personally don't have one as the official MP-10 is really already bigger than I'd like.

I very strongly recommend MP10-V, though. There's something about all that great toy in a smaller package that checks all the right boxes for me, and I swear it's higher quality than my Hasbro MP-10. Definitely my favorite toy that I've bought this year.