I broke down and ordered the darker purple quakewave.

I broke down and pre-ordered the reissue and clear version. Not even sure why I got the clear one, maybe because I heard its limited to 500 made.

Nice. I'm enjoying Apollyon/Megatron too. I see you have the metallic version of Guttur. How is that holding up? I have the chrome version on pre-order and have been debating with whether I should wait patiently for it or request the metallic version instead.

Metallic Guttur has it's usual issues but it could be easily fixed, I haven't the time to do so yet cause it doesn't bother me that much. This figure is huge, this is the Dinobot I've been waiting for all my life, for $200 it worth every penny. The transformation is fairly simple yet it's interesting. I would say you should wait for the Chrome version, hopefully all of the issues will be corrected, but I do think Chrome will look way better than the Metallic version.

Metallic Guttur has it's usual issues but it could be easily fixed, I haven't the time to do so yet cause it doesn't bother me that much. This figure is huge, this is the Dinobot I've been waiting for all my life, for $200 it worth every penny. The transformation is fairly simple yet it's interesting. I would say you should wait for the Chrome version, hopefully all of the issues will be corrected, but I do think Chrome will look way better than the Metallic version.

Thank you for the mini-review, Valkyrie2008! I am also drawn to Guttur's size (especially in dino mode). The two-tone look of the metallic version is unique–a nice twist to the toon colors. And it's tempting to get both and choose a favorite with my own eyes.

On the other hand, I do prefer the smokey plastic parts in the colored prototype of the chrome version, and I'm also a sucker for shiny dinos. :p Sticking with the chrome releases (as you say) means that I may receive any potential fixes out of the box while having more time to budget for each release.

Decisions...decisions...

Thanks, again!

It is a shame that the Quakewave reissue still has those shiny metal leg parts. If all those parts where painted in a lighter/darker purple color and not shiny metal I would've probably ordered another one.

Edited by Scyla

I originally had two Quakewave, but sold one to a friend right a way. I did the LED swap for Quakewave eye, with the candle flickering effect. The feet is a bit loose just like my Hasbro Optimus Prime, but I can live with it.

While looking for more GigaPower/Gutter news this morning, I noticed that a curious question has popped up among their recent facebook posts:

So on tfw2005.com, a rep from FT is claiming that GP has rebranded into Cloud 9 to release quakeblast. You can check it out in the quakeblast thread and Is FT the best 3P? thread. Any truth to that giga? I thought you would finish the dinos first before doing other characters.

GigaPower responded with the following:

We don't start rumors and we don't response to rumors. We are fine, just very busy working on several Gigasaurs and finishing chrome Guttur preparations, replacement parts, improving the factory side. Im sorry it is taking long, we will show more soon.

I peeked at the tfw2005 threads mentioned above. The FansToys representative is speaking rather loose, and some of his messages not only claim this Quakeblast rumor directly but also note that GigaPower lost a designer. From my point of view, it looks like they are attempting to use their popularity in the community to create an unfair advantage. I don't know if FansToys is planning to go after GigaPower legally. That still seems unclear. And it seems rather strange since third parties base their designs off of the unlicensed official IP from Hasbro/Takara. However, the fact that GigaPower is releasing HQ-03R (Chrome Guttur) and plans to showcase more not-dinobots soon after makes this noise very strategic on FansToys part.

If the legal stuff is more than just hot air to feed fan boys, it could end rather poorly if Hasbro or Takara decided to put its foot down too I guess. I mean FansToys is already very familiar with that experience so why make themselves visible in the legal landscape again?

TL;DR - There's some ugly 3P competition brewing.

Mixmaster, with his overly-large drum, simple transformation, and the odd decision to make his alt-mode a front-discharge mixer with the rear serving as Devastator's foot, is probably the weakest of the of the Combiner Wars Constructicons. So I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Dr. Wu replacement CW Mixmaster.

More Dr. Wu Not-Mixmaster. Looks hot... like the toy we really wanted CW Mixmaster to be, but with one flaw- why's he got Soundwave's face?

Also, David, did you hear that Diabolus Rex is making an SD Trypticon to go with their SD Metroplex?

Their Trypticon is both SD, and looks more like a Gojulas/Genosaurer hybrid than a TF. As I said at TFW---I want my TFs to look like TFs, not Zoids or Gundams or EVA or any other mecha.

As we've seen from the zillion 3P Dinobots, you can absolutely make robo-dinos that don't look just like Zoids. You can't use the "well, all robot dinos are going to end up looking like Zoids" argument when 3P is providing a new counterexample every day. It's like saying all transforming jet mecha have the same style, which I don't even need to say anything further at this forum.

Their Trypticon is both SD, and looks more like a Gojulas/Genosaurer hybrid than a TF. As I said at TFW---I want my TFs to look like TFs, not Zoids or Gundams or EVA or any other mecha.

As we've seen from the zillion 3P Dinobots, you can absolutely make robo-dinos that don't look just like Zoids. You can't use the "well, all robot dinos are going to end up looking like Zoids" argument when 3P is providing a new counterexample every day. It's like saying all transforming jet mecha have the same style, which I don't even need to say anything further at this forum.

Wild. These are the Zoids I remember playing with, among other childhood toys:

• Tyrannazoid
  • Aquazoid
  • Protozoid
  • Giant Zrk (my favorite)

I guess I missed the change to anime designs. But yeah, I can see the resemblance.

Personally, I'll be happy with this one if the heavy weapons in the concept art are removable, especially the two shoulder cannons that conceal the dino backpack/collar area. It would be nice to see not-Trypticon's SD profile.

I'm actually interested now that I'm aware it looks more like a Zoid than a transformer. Zoids are way cooler than TFs anyways.

Edited by anime52k8

Fanstoys posted on TFW that their homepage of MP Sludge (called Stomp) is in the testing phase and the first prototype is too heavy. The poster said that it is two times as heavy as than Soar (Swoop) which would make Stomp weight about 1.5 kg (3.3 pounds).

27514819d1430759608-fanstoys-ft-07-stomp

Some people already started arguing that heavier means a more quality toy and that FansToys should release it as is and increase the price. However the guy who posted the message from FansToys already said that they are working on making Stomp weight less.

Lol at heavier = better.

It gives me an idea! I shall start my own toy company! Our products may not be as good as the others, owing to a lack of engineering skill and budget for quality manufacturing, but I'll make it up by mounting lead weights in the torso!

It gives me an idea! I shall start my own toy company! Our products may not be as good as the others, owing to a lack of engineering skill and budget for quality manufacturing, but I'll make it up by mounting lead weights in the torso!

And you could use that really brittle plastic so the bust really easy.

And you could use that really brittle plastic so the bust really easy.

Hey, it's not MY fault they're clumsy barbarians that don't know how to handle quality merchandise! Jerks were probably throwing it at the wall like a bunch of three-year-olds.

So my last Third Party TF was fans project springer so long ago. I just got FT Scoria for myself for my birthday and man third party companies have come a long way. I know they are different companies but Scoria just is an amazing figure and I plan on getting the other two, Quakewave and Tesla very soon.

So my last Third Party TF was fans project springer so long ago. I just got FT Scoria for myself for my birthday and man third party companies have come a long way. I know they are different companies but Scoria just is an amazing figure and I plan on getting the other two, Quakewave and Tesla very soon.

They also made Swoop and Snarl which have way better quality control that the first release of Scoria. If you like Dinobots you should probably check them out.

My favorite company so far is MMC (ever since their HoS line) and at the point I'm fanboy enough to buy everything sight unseen from them. I adore their IDW inspired robots and I don't even read the comics. ^_^

I definitely knew about the other too with the next in testing now. Fans Toys just seems to strike that right balance of toy and toon and that's always been a huge factor to me as an adult collector. I will get X-Transbots Megatron as well and their upcoming Cyclonus and Scourge since they seem to be the ones doing a good amount of cons at the moment

I received my Apollyon today. He's a cool figure, but not without flaws. The shoulders are very limited, esp because of the hammer areas; I wish they could have found a way to make the shoulder socket extend out of the arm a little to increase its range of motion, but it is what it is. The shoulders on mine aren't floppy, but they're not real tight either. The hip areas on mine untab relatively easy, so I press on the hip skirts when I reposition the legs. In pistol mode, I had some gaps where the various sliding plates that form the handgrip didn't quite peg securely, and I had gaps where the black parts on the back of the arms mate up with the hip skirts ( the area that became Megatron's head on the G1 toy). Honestly though, nobody's buying this guy to keep him in pistol mode, and bot mode is where this figure shines. Arguably, this is the best looking G1 Megatron toy to date, and if TT do finally make an official version, this toy will be a challenge to beat. I'm glad I got him.

I've also been eyeing X-Transbot's Cyclonus...so far, he looks amazing in both modes.

I received my Apollyon today. He's a cool figure, but not without flaws. The shoulders are very limited, esp because of the hammer areas; I wish they could have found a way to make the shoulder socket extend out of the arm a little to increase its range of motion, but it is what it is. The shoulders on mine aren't floppy, but they're not real tight either. The hip areas on mine untab relatively easy, so I press on the hip skirts when I reposition the legs. In pistol mode, I had some gaps where the various sliding plates that form the handgrip didn't quite peg securely, and I had gaps where the black parts on the back of the arms mate up with the hip skirts ( the area that became Megatron's head on the G1 toy). Honestly though, nobody's buying this guy to keep him in pistol mode, and bot mode is where this figure shines. Arguably, this is the best looking G1 Megatron toy to date, and if TT do finally make an official version, this toy will be a challenge to beat. I'm glad I got him.

I've also been eyeing X-Transbot's Cyclonus...so far, he looks amazing in both modes.

Agreed. Both on XTB Apollyon and Eligos.

Overall I'm happy with my V1 copy of XTB's not-Megatron, but now I'm interested in what MakeToys has planned for their version. If this design reduces the kibble inside of the legs and makes for a more sturdy figure, then I may switch. So much about Apollyon is good, but the legs are just a touch too busy (kibble-wise), IMO. I think the one thing that hurt XTB with this release is the variance in each figure. There are those who received good copies, but for those who received poor copies, there seems to be a variety of different issues. Some have problems keeping Apollyon standing, others have problems keeping his arms in place. Me, I think I lucked out. I had one loose rivet on mine, the same loose rivet that emgo had in his video review. And although ChaoticYeti posted a fix for loose rivets in one of the YF-19 threads here on the forums, I have yet to try it out because I haven't been bothered by it that much.

I also really like your idea of increasing the arm articulation. TT could probably implement something similar to what was done with Optimus or Ultra Magnus if they do get around to a V2 official release.

I wasn't aware that Maketoys had a pending MP scale Megatron in the works. Interesting. I wonder if the guys at TT are biding time to see what kind of innovations these 3rd party folks can come up with to make a more proportionate Megatron. Apollyon is pretty well done, although I have to echo the above sentiment regarding the kibble on the interior leg. I thought it recessed more into the leg, but it doesn't. And it doesn't peg into anything...just held by friction. I also forgot to mention that after one transformation to gun and back, the rivet that holds the barrel is now very loose on mine. It doesn't help that the barrel is die-cast. Gravity is always on in my local area, making that particular concern worrisome whenever I'm compelled to handle him.

None of these nitpicks make me regret getting him, though. He's a marvel of engineering, esp all the linkages required to get the arms in place. Those little linkages also make me grimace a bit, as little rivets in a couple spots are all that hold the arm assemblies. Too much force, and you're stuck with a parts-former. But enough negativity. He looks fantastic standing next to MP Soundwave and Prime; I need to acquire a Decepticon symbol for his chest, but otherwise, for all intents and purposes, he's the leader of my little Decepticon army until something better comes along.

I also saw that Maketoys are working on an IDW inspired Bomber version of Megs. I'm happy with my official Deluxe, but I'm curious to see how this turns out. I like the idea of Megatron as an aircraft over his becoming a tank; both options are better than his becoming a handgun, but that G1 nostalgia still holds sway. Anyway, some of these third parties are really bringing some remarkable looking figures to the table; I'm feeling the temptation.

Seeing Maketoys get into the MP sized unlicensed market is the most exciting thing in unlicensed bots IMO.

Seems like their quality is maybe pushing TT to put out Hound.

11863473_10153054533386711_80074221651501514629_10153054533381711_29537179762639

11822951_10153054533246711_3971428533752

Gundog looks nice too

reduced-galery_image_10902_17312.jpg

Edited by Gakken85

Their not-Inferno is cool, but Gun Dog is awesome. Love the chunkiness of the legs; TT tend towards skinny thighs. That waist joint is pretty cool- he's a really dynamic figure, and his alt mode looks great. Maketoys got game.

It doesn't really look any bigger than Has-Tak's. I think it'll be kind of neat to see how it turns out, but from what I've seen so far it looks sort of cartoony. Personally, I'm more interested in getting a few 3P upgrades for the Hasbro Devastator, and probably Dr. Wu's Mixmaster replacement.