On 3/2/2021 at 1:34 AM, M'Kyuun said:

The one thing that bugs me about the robot mode is that there appear to be four instances of landing gear forming the toes on a plane that has standard tricycle landing gear. That's what happens when CG happy artists with no knowledge of aircraft design these things. 

While the inaccurate landing gear toes are definitely a result of clueless CG artists, the way I reconcile this little detail is I like to think that the foot design is a left over from the bots former cybertronian mode. In the bumblebee movie the seekers cybertronian bot design is for the most part identical to Blitzwings earth design. So the 4 instances of landing gear on the feet is just something that carried over from their old cybertronian modes after the transcanning process.

Edited by GobotFool

21 hours ago, Dobber said:

More power to anyone that likes it, I too think it is a nice looking bot  with impressive engineering. But the plane mode is just too fat and stubby. Not a good F-4 representation. They may have the details but the proportions are way off. To each their own though. 

9A0DE417-72BA-4DF8-9608-E5233889FC1F.thumb.jpeg.8d30c49df5282762323aa6713b78125f.jpeg

DE4AB84F-02BF-4773-B097-40916DFA9473.thumb.jpeg.a7ffa31336e8893d281fa98dd5513e07.jpeg

Now I see what you mean by SD. This is the first time I've seen this thing in profile, and it really puts things into proper perspective to see it next to the actual aircraft.  They did good with the salient details of the plane, but it's quite obviously squished, much more so than I could previously observe. It's actually kinda abdorable. I like SD planes, so it hits a sweet spot for me; if the bot was similarly SD in proportion, the whole would work better. As it is, it reminds me of the G1 minibots (Choro-Q) with their SD vehicle modes but more proportionate bot modes.

So the 4 instances of landing gear on the feet is just something that carried over from their old cybertronian modes after the transcanning process.

That's one way to reconcile the toes, but I have no doubt the bot mode was designed based on an F-4  alt mode from the start, and that the same bot design was just used regardless of setting. All that CG costs money, and since they can turn anything into anything regardless of size, shape, what have you, it makes sense that most of the Cybertronian bot modes were designed based on their Earth vehicle modes from the beginning, and then the vehicle modes changed to suit the Cybertron scenes if indeed they transformed in those scenes. kinda like G1. :) G1 Wheeljack's and Bumblebee's Cybertronian alt modes were particularly indulgent uses of animation magic. I can forgive it  more easily in an 80's kid show than a multimillion dollar live action movie.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Ugh, that profile shot definitely shows the truncated length which I did not know about prior to ordering.

Reminds me of what the old 747SP's looked like in comparison to other 7's...

Boeing_747_family.jpg

...and especially stubby compared the the latest (and very rare) 747-8

747-8-longest-aircraft-world.jpg

2 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Now I see what you mean by SD. This is the first time I've seen this thing in profile, and it really puts things into proper perspective to see it next to the actual aircraft.  They did good with the salient details of the plane, but it's quite obviously squished, much more so than I could previously observe. It's actually kinda abdorable. I like SD planes, so it hits a sweet spot for me; if the bot was similarly SD in proportion, the whole would work better. As it is, it reminds me of the G1 minibots (Choro-Q) with their SD vehicle modes but more proportionate bot modes.

That's one way to reconcile the toes, but I have no doubt the bot mode was designed based on an F-4  alt mode from the start, and that the same bot design was just used regardless of setting. All that CG costs money, and since they can turn anything into anything regardless of size, shape, what have you, it makes sense that most of the Cybertronian bot modes were designed based on their Earth vehicle modes from the beginning, and then the vehicle modes changed to suit the Cybertron scenes if indeed they transformed in those scenes. kinda like G1. :) G1 Wheeljack's and Bumblebee's Cybertronian alt modes were particularly indulgent uses of animation magic. I can forgive it  more easily in an 80's kid show than a multimillion dollar live action movie.

It’s all good M’Kyuun, I wasn’t trying to begrudge anyone’s likes or preferences. Like a lot of us around here, I’m a plane guy. I agree that if the bot had that SD look as well it would sit better with me too. 

Chris

I think growing up with a lot of what could be considered "SD" aircraft toys made me a bit nostalgic for the format.  My first VF-1 was a Joke Machine, and I had a bunch of those "Flying Fighter" toys and GI Joe aircraft that had slightly oddball proportions.  I think this one fits right in that vein. ^_^ 

I did find out something that I appreciate though, I was thinking they mixed up the sidewinder and sparrow mounts, because all the promo images show it with sparrows on the wing pylons.  Turns out the mounts are universal, and you can easily mount the missiles where they belong.

12 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I think growing up with a lot of what could be considered "SD" aircraft toys made me a bit nostalgic for the format.  My first VF-1 was a Joke Machine, and I had a bunch of those "Flying Fighter" toys and GI Joe aircraft that had slightly oddball proportions.  I think this one fits right in that vein. ^_^ 

I did find out something that I appreciate though, I was thinking they mixed up the sidewinder and sparrow mounts, because all the promo images show it with sparrows on the wing pylons.  Turns out the mounts are universal, and you can easily mount the missiles where they belong.

It’s funny you say GI Joe aircraft because I was thinking the same thing. Just wasn’t sure if people would understand the reference, and also other vehicles that are designed to fit an action figure like the old Kenner X-Wing etc. It’s actually one of the things I don’t like about the Yamato/Arcadia 1/48 VF-1. The nose/canopy looks too wide to me when viewed from above and reminds me of how those GI Joe/action figure accommodating vehicles look. I know it is done so battroid looks better but it throws off the fighter mode for me. Not saying the 1/48 looks like an action figure vehicle just that the wide canopy reminds me of one is all.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

CHUG please!:D 

Just got Magic Square's metallic painted Doomsday (Megatron) earlier this week, and what a fantastic figure. Glad I fence sat, as the metallic paint is crisp and looks so much better, IMHO, than the unpainted version. The only negative I have with it is that there are bits on both the arms and legs that don't quite have the natural clearance to get them rotated into position during transformation, and a little 'finessing' is required. Not the most ideal situation, but so far as I can see, the joints and materials allow for it without undo stress. So far, anyway.

The transformation is a brilliant bit of engineering, and I wish Takara had thought of it first with MP-36, as it captures the G1 toy transformation and preserves the gun slide as Megs' upper torso, with virtually no kibble, and a very clean and toon accurate looking G1 Megatron for your trouble.  I have the New Age Megatron as well, but this figure smokes it in the aesthetics department. 

1 hour ago, Convectuoso said:

Aaand,  NewAge's Devastator

Magic Square's looks better, in my opinion.

They both wipe the floor with any official release, regardless of scale (and most previous third-party attempts, even). 

Boy, do I feel dumb having bought those cheap-ass "Hulkie" knock-offs for my Legends-scale collection... -_-

Optus Pexus, MMC's Orion Pax/Optimus Prime, was so good I decided I needed a Megatron to go with him.  And since MMC's Reformatted scale is too small for MP and too big for WfC and therefore doesn't really scale with anything but other Reformatted stuff it pretty much had to be MMC's Tyrantron, their take on one of a couple of versions of Megatron to appear in the IDW comics, this one specifically being based on Alex Milne's design for More Than Meets the Eye (which means that version of Megatron and Pexus' version of Pax/Prime weren't contemporary, but refer back to the problem of MMC's stuff only scaling with MMC's stuff).  Spoilers for the comics, I suppose.

IMG_20210305_204413.thumb.jpg.199bda189bd493a081ead67ad6d6ed25.jpg

Tyrantron is basically the same height as MMC's Kultur (Tarn) or Pexus, which is pretty much right where he's supposed to be.

MMC's IDW-inspired Reformatted stuff has ranged from pretty accurate, but with sacrifices made to work as a transforming toy (like Kultur and Pexus here) to fairly loosely inspired (like their Cyclonus or their Whirl).  Tyrantron falls more into the first category.  From the front most the details and colors are spot on to the comics.  However, the flaps on the outside of his shoulders are different, his backpack is a little different, and he's missing the gray pads on his elbows, the panels that stick out at an angle from the tops of his shoulders, and the boxes on the outsides of his lower legs.  Debatably, the silver part of his shins should actually be closer to the gray color on his chest and abs, too.

I'll also note here that the while much of the black and red is bare plastic almost all the silver is paint, and it's an interesting color.  I don't know how well you can see it from my photo, but it doesn't match the silver used for Kultur's accents or Pexus' silver parts.  Instead it's got subtle golden undertones.  The result is still definitely silver, but one that's less bright and shiny which seems appropriate for Megatron at this phase in his life.

IMG_20210305_204605.thumb.jpg.0b7962062f0641cdd78b6596a6c4a3ab.jpg

If you're curious, here's how he compares with Earthrise Megatron and Gen Selects Super Megatron.  As you can see, he's quite a bit taller.  In fact, he's just a little short of Studio Series '86 Grimlock.

IMG_20210305_210310.thumb.jpg.4d494a7c987ad79b5fe234c64507b9a1.jpg

Tyrantron comes with a ton of accessories that actually make my usual review format a bit challenging.  See, the earlier pictures are Tyrantron exactly as he comes out of the box, but his shoulder flaps, chest plate, and head are all removeable.  Then you get one short cockpit, one long cockpit, a round barrel attachment for the short cockpit, a drill section for the short cockpit, an alternate chest, alternate shoulder flaps, an alternate Tyrantron head, an alternate Kultur head, a new mask for Kultur, a gun barrel attachment, a drill attachment, an energon mace he never had in the comics, and a light saber that looks an awful lot like the one from the '86 movie but that he also didn't have in the comics.

IMG_20210305_212640.thumb.jpg.895d120ad9e9898a797f1ecde6ae3f6e.jpg

Tyrantron's head is on a ball joint with decent upward and sideways tilt, but his big chin doesn't leave a lot of room for downward tilt.  His shoulders rotate on ratchets and move laterally 90 degrees on friction joints- in theory.  In practice, although they're jointed correctly, he'll fall a bit short of 90 if you raise his arms then spread them, but I think what you get is still adequate.  His biceps swivel.  His elbows are technically double-jointed, but the lower joint is really for transformation and you'll only get a little past 90 degrees.  His wrists rotate, and his fingers are pinned so that they can open as one solid piece.  His waist swivels.  His hips are ratcheted and his hip skirts do move, but we're still only talking about a bit under 90 degrees forward or backward, and about 60 degrees laterally.  His thighs swivel.  His knees are double-jointed and good for about 130 degrees, revealing some red joints in the process.  As near as I can tell his whole feet are on ball joints, giving him some limited up/down tilt, about 30 degrees or so of ankle pivot, and a little ankle swivel, plus the front of his foot and his heel are are separate hinges with their own up/down tilt.  The heels on my copy are a bit loose, though.  I'll note that there are treads on the backs of his legs, and the bottom of the tread can fold out in a way that allows them to brace against the heel.  That bit of fold out tread isn't used in transformation, so maybe it's meant to brace the heel.

Officially, the longer cockpit with the hexagonal red tip is meant for Tyrantron like this, even though he never had anything like it in the comics.  It has a large squarish plug on it that fits into a gap on either of Tyrantron's forearms.  Unfortunately, if you're not using it (which would be comic-accurate 99% of the time for this version of Megatron) you've got large squarish cutouts on his forearms.  Also note that it's a pretty big thing to stick on his arm, and the back end of it might get caught on his backpack when you're trying to get some poses out of him.

The small gun barrel plugs into Tyrantron's backpack.  This is necessary for a comic book-accurate look.

IMG_20210305_212826.thumb.jpg.37e120429cbc3adefd23d61cca1ffc51.jpg

As for the mace and saber, Tyrantron's hand is molded into a 5mm shape so they just slide right in.  Note that Tyrantron's wrists have hinges that allow him to point the saber down/forward, which is a really nice touch.  Another nice touch is that, since the handles are really just 5mm pegs, you can use these two accessories with other Transformers toys like Earthrise Megatron.

IMG_20210305_210720.thumb.jpg.9705cdf531ffc7a01f07f228288ae0c2.jpg

If you swap the heads, the chest plates, and the shoulder flaps, plus you remove the gun barrel from his backpack and replace it with the little drill, you can get another look that's loosely based on Megatron's miner appearance from Megatron Origin, also drawn by Alex Milne, and some of the flashback scenes in later comics.  I say loosely, because the head's pretty accurate and the caution stripes on the chest and the new shoulder flaps are in the ballpark, but the rest of the look isn't really even close.  I mean, Miner Megatron wasn't even silver- he was more of a dark gray or gunmetal.

Ostensibly this is Megatron before he gets his fusion cannon, so the second shorter cockpit is for this version of robot mode.  You can plug it onto the same square cutouts on either forearm then plug the drill into it so he's just carrying a big mining tool on his arm.  That said, swapping the drill for the round black barrel gives him something a little closer to his traditional fusion cannon, albeit a large one that isn't accurate to any version he carried in the comics.  Of course, using the short cockpit with either barrel is technically an option even with the standard MTMTE parts.  Likewise, with cutouts on both forearms, dual-wielding is also an option.  However, if you're looking for something that's more accurate to the one he did use in the comics, during the "Dying of the Light" story arc, it looks like Shapeways is your only option.

IMG_20210305_213234.thumb.jpg.8dcc8c4bf25c26ee46c6cdff4a758f6b.jpg

So, about those Kultur parts... how do I even talk about them without major spoilers?  All I can say is that I don't like the new head.  The new mask has a cool gimmick, but it unfortunately doesn't work with the old Kultur head.  You can read the spoiler section below if you want a more elaborate explanation.

Spoiler

So... MMC designed Kultur before "The Dying of the Light."  Now, all the members of the DJD supposedly abandon their old identities when they join and take instead the names of the first five cities to fall the Decepticon uprising- we're told explicitly, in fact, that the current Vos replaced a previous Vos who'd been discovered as a double-angent.  Roberts had dropped several hints throughout MTMTE that Tarn was actually Roller, and Kultur's face behind the mask was modeled after Roller.  However, during "The Dying of the Light" Tarn was revealed to be a more minor character named Damus, aka Glitch.  Here's the problem, though- Glitch (like Whirl and Shockwave) was a victim of a process called empurata, a type of punishment that involved replacing the victim's head with a new, faceless one.  MMC seems to have responded to the Glitch reveal by making a new head for Kultur with Glitch's face from the comics, which would be fine except the unmasked Tarn most definitely did have a face, implying that perhaps he got a new head and face after joining the Decepticons.  While the angles on top could be a little sharper, the face and vented cheeks on the original Roller-style Kultur head make it still the more accurate head for Kultur.  It's kind of shame, though.  See, the new mask can plug onto the Glitch head but not the original head.  And the new mask and both of Tyrantron's chest plates (but especially the MTMTE version) have magnets that allow you to stick the new mask onto Tyrantron's chest, recreating a scene from "The Dying of the Light" where Megatron rips Tarn's mask off and sticks it over the Autobot insignia on his chest.

IMG_20210305_212017.thumb.jpg.f7bb4e188d4b805426e5742502a95d83.jpg

Anyway... Tyrantron has a very simple transformation, and you can see now why his fusion cannons are also cockpits.  Fun fact, although I don't recall if Megatron later transformed in the Lost Light series (which Roberts continued to write but Milne didn't draw), he never transformed in More Than Meets the Eye.  This wasn't all that unusual; MTMTE was a very character-driven book and most of the characters only made brief appearances in alt mode.  It meant, though, that MMC had to invent an alt mode for Tyrantron on their own.  Perhaps, bolstered by recent versions of Megatron like Don Figueroa's stealth bomber from earlier in the IDW run, Transformers Prime, the '07 movie, and maybe The Last Knight (I can't remember whether that film or Tyrantron came out first) MMC decided to eschew the all-too-common tank mode for a space jet.  With the polygonal cannon/cockpit and the rectangular bits on the wing tips it's also clear that MMC was inspired by Super Megatron (the original manga version, since Tyrantron beat the Gen Selects version by two years).

IMG_20210305_212032.thumb.jpg.e43fce87d4cd7c4876f24e40cdbb1528.jpg

It doesn't have to be a space jet, though.  If you're using the alternate miner Megatron parts (which can be swapped even in alt mode; you just have to swap the head after removing one cockpit but before replacing the other and you have to undo the arms a little to get the clearance to swap the flaps) you get a vehicle that's got much the same appearance but, having traded wings for some caution-marked panels that fit closer to the curled-up arms, is ostensibly some kind of drill tank.  Of course, mixing and matching is still an option.  Tank with a huge gun barrel?  Jet with a drill nose?  You can do as you like.

I'll mention, though, that Milne did eventually reveal the alt mode he'd designed for Megatron on Twitter.  It was a tank.

Whatever combo you go with, Tyrantron rests on four treads in the back (two that were on his calves, two that were on the backs of his biceps) and one in the front that folds down from the cockpit part.  Although the treads on his biceps can swivel none of the treads roll or even have little wheels, so Tyrantron doesn't doo much in this mode.  There's no place to store any of his other accessories.

Tyrantron's alt mode isn't the best, but chances are if you're interested in this figure it's probably because you're a fan of More Than Meets the Eye and it's really the robot mode that matters to you.  On that note, Tyrantron isn't perfect- he's got the cutouts in his forearms, there are a few minor details that aren't totally comic-accurate, and he could use a tad more articulation, but he's still quite good at capturing Alex Milne's art and has a strong presence overall.  My biggest complaint might be with the accessories.  I really don't care to make a nowhere-near-accurate miner Megatron.  I'd rather MMC skipped those parts and instead gave us a smaller, more comic-accurate fusion cannon, even if you'd still have to swap it out for one of these ones in alt mode. 

Spoiler

The Kultur accessories could have been handled differently, too.  In the very same issue you find out that Tarn is really Glitch you see Tarn's unmasked face, so MMC should have known that Glitch's empurata head painted black was not accurate.

Overall, it's one of the best Megatron toys out there, and not simply because it's based on the best version of Megatron.  I'd recommend picking him up if you can, then reading More Than Meets the Eye to find out why this version is the best Megatron.

Great review, Mike. The Super Megatron homage was something I missed, even though I've had my own copy of Tyrantron for some time now (oops). Tyrantron is definitealy one of my top Megtraon figures too. Added to which, looking at the improved articulation of Optus Pexus, I'm amazed by how much MMC keeps improving the Reformatted line. It will be very interesting to see what comes next. 

17 minutes ago, Scyla said:

@mikeszekely The biggest issue with Tyrantron is that R-40 Jaguar (Ravage) came with fillers for the holes in his forearms but not a comic accurate fusion canon, even if Ravage plays an integral part in the use of that weapon. <_<

Yeah. Also, Megatron had a pistol in one of the early MTMTE stories after he joined three crew. It's frustrating that MMC gave Tyrantron so many accessories giving him the inacurrate miner mode and G1 weapons he didn't use in the comics, then releases another figure with even more accessories for Tyrantron that included more random stuff no one asked for like that weird crested head that assisted one time in Megatron Origin, but they couldn't manage one or two accessories that were actually in MTMTE.

Still a really good figure, though. I'll probably pick up Jaguar, too.

It's been 4-5 years since I have bought any MP scale figures, though the recent release of Unicron and the Studio Series 86 kind of got my itch back. So I recently picked up the Magic Square MS-01W, after getting my hands on the MP-49 Black Convoy, sort of trying out the other Prime molds in MP scale. Like many, Prime has always been my favorite character, though Ultra Magnus is a very close second, especially with the fact that he is a white Prime wearing a cool armor. Back in the days, I was awestruck when Dreamwave depicted Ultra Magnus bursting out of its armor on the comic cover art and showcased him like that in the issue battling against Shockwave. Too bad when looking at my MP-22 Ultra Magnus in my cabinet, he can't really do that. Nor is there a MP style G1 Magnus figure I know of that can do that either. So I took some time this past weekend and made this piece, sort of fill that void in the meantime, until one day our MP G1 Ultra Magnus figure can actually do the same.

Dreamwave-MP-Ultra-Magnus-S.jpg

Edited by mpchi

20 hours ago, mpchi said:

That's the main reason I like Ultra Magnus so much. The GBP in Transformers. :D

I was always of the opposite opinion, and was happy that Takara made MP Ultra/Delta Magnus an all-in -one, as well as the Combiner Wars figure. But with MP Delta and CW UM hanging out on my shelves, my preference is beginning to shift toward a two piece UM.  Dreamwave's cover, and your splendid recreation of their cover really sell the idea of of a two-part Magnus figure. So far as CHUG goes, ER Prime is such an excellent figure that I'm totally behind Hasbro's designers in wanting to make a UM based around a white ER Prime. Hopefully it'll happen.

So, after all the wailing and gnashing of teeth that ensued when  the bot and car modes of Kingdom Rodimus were leaked sans trailer, we didn't have long to wait before, surprise of surprises, Rodimus' trailer was revealed. There was an attempt made by a fan (I think it's on Twitter) to try to show this fig in scale with ER Prime by using the 5mm ports as a size guide. If his Photoshop work is accurate (I'm not going to try and track down the pics, but they're out there), then this is going to be a really big figure. Too big, really. I'm thinking Hasbro went commander class for the budget, but the resulting toy, IMHO, is going to be out of scale with his fellow WFC figs, and that's unfortunate, if the comparison pics are anywhere near accurate. I wish they'd gone leader class like Prime.

Rodimus' trailer was never exactly a complex feat of engineering, and I daresay it's smaller than OP's, and has fewer moving parts, so the move to make Rodimus in commander scale is a head scratcher, which leads me to think it was strictly for the budget. And for that budget, the final product leaves a few things to be desired. First, his base car mode should slide further back into the trailer, and the break in the exhaust pipes running up the side is obvious and unsightly.

Image result for kingdom rodimus primeImage result for kingdom rodimus primeImage result for kingdom rodimus primeImage result for kingdom rodimus prime car

I like the proportions of the G1 toy: Image result for kingdom rodimus prime car

However, in all fairness, the G1 toy's base bot didn't turn into a fully realized car, but was a cab with long legs sticking out the back. Image result for G1 rodimus

The proportions of Kingdom Rodimus' space Winnebago looks stretched, and it loses some of its visual appeal to me. I do applaud the effort to give him a fully realized car mode separate from the trailer, though, as well as trying to make it different from Hot Rod's car mode. I think they were successful in that respect. I still prefer a moe compact combined mode. Too, the back wheels of Rodimus' car mode can be seen along with the trailer's and it looks weird. Again, with a commander class budget, these are the kinds of unsightly details that I wish they'd put forth more engineering towards fixing before going to final. Mixed bag, this fig.

The car's rear tires should have met up with the trailer's front tires; that 3/4"-1" would make a world of difference.  The only reason I can see for going the route they did was to make the length of Rodimus the same as Prime with Trailer; which defeats the point of most future designs, comparing the cargo room in an Econoline Van and a Transit Van, one will find one vehicle is quite larger than the other but doesn't travel near as nicely or provide quite as much storage.  Besides, not aware of any Econoline Vans with an XJ220 engine but I've seen the Transit with it.   

4 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

So, after all the wailing and gnashing of teeth that ensued when  the bot and car modes of Kingdom Rodimus were leaked sans trailer, we didn't have long to wait before, surprise of surprises, Rodimus' trailer was revealed.

I posted about Rodimus yesterday in the other TF thread (this is the 3P one).  I agree that he'll be too long in alt mode, but I really don't think he'll be significantly bigger than Optimus in bot mode. They don't always get it right, but scale is part of WfC's stated goals.

3 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I posted about Rodimus yesterday in the other TF thread (this is the 3P one).  I agree that he'll be too long in alt mode, but I really don't think he'll be significantly bigger than Optimus in bot mode. They don't always get it right, but scale is part of WfC's stated goals.

Doh! I didn't realize I was in the wrong thread. Ah well- human.^_^

2 hours ago, Wolf-1 said:

The car's rear tires should have met up with the trailer's front tires; that 3/4"-1" would make a world of difference. 

Totally agree.