you don't think the devilstar one is pretty close? i mean airburst is off...but i think the devilstar shuttle mode looks pretty good especailly condsering it has to also turn into a robot and a train.

Close, but the things that are wrong---seem to be wrong for no reason. You can't tell me that the wingtip curvature couldn't be 100% correct? The cockpit windows? The OMS pods? Those are the main things wrong, and seem to have little to no impact on the other modes.

we get it you have a hate on for 3rd party transformers and a hard on for official hasbro transformers.

Wow, you are so totally wrong there I don't know what to say. Sure you didn't write that sentence backwards?

Close, but the things that are wrong---seem to be wrong for no reason. You can't tell me that the wingtip curvature couldn't be 100% correct? The cockpit windows? The OMS pods? Those are the main things wrong, and seem to have little to no impact on the other modes.

Wow, you are so totally wrong there I don't know what to say. Sure you didn't write that sentence backwards?

Well ever since I created the thread all I have read is how much you dislike that and how that looks bad this. Tell me which 3rd party transformer do you like and own? I really see zero esthetics with about 90% stuff that Hasbro/Takara come up with. Actually the 10% is composed of 9% of Takara and 1% of Hasbro. No toy will ever be PERFECT. Not Yamato or whatever they are called, not Bandai, and not 3rd Party. But I like transformers. And I like having options. Its too bad that hasbro cant step up to the plate. Even when they do, they fail.

Maybe the reason people don't make space shuttle designs exact representations is because they are scared of NASA suing them. I do like devilstar but that shuttle color scheme is strange, maybe they will release an animation accurate version down the road.

Maybe the reason people don't make space shuttle designs exact representations is because they are scared of NASA suing them.

They obviously don't fear Hasbro, Porsche, Boeing, Lockheed, Lamborghini, VW, or anyone else, so I doubt that *NASA* has them worried. (and I believe technically, Boeing currently own the shuttle's design rights, via Rockwell).

Well ever since I created the thread all I have read is how much you dislike that and how that looks bad this. Tell me which 3rd party transformer do you like and own? I really see zero esthetics with about 90% stuff that Hasbro/Takara come up with. Actually the 10% is composed of 9% of Takara and 1% of Hasbro. No toy will ever be PERFECT. Not Yamato or whatever they are called, not Bandai, and not 3rd Party.

I currently own:

FP Smart Robin

FP Protector

FP Intimidator

MMC Feral Rex

I will buy:

MT Guardia

FP Not-Apeface

I'm seriously considering:

UT Ordin

No, nothing is perfect (especially combiners!) But when a compromise seems to have been made "solely to make it NOT look like people were expecting/not like the character it's intended to be" and not because of the limitations of transformation/engineering etc, it can be a very disappointing for someone who's been waiting for a "newer/better version" of something.

"No, nothing is perfect (especially combiners!) But when a compromise seems to have been made "solely to make it NOT look like people were expecting/not like the character it's intended to be" and not because of the limitations of transformation/engineering etc, it can be a very disappointing for someone who's been waiting for a "newer/better version" of something."

I dont understand the statement.

Doesnt Superion look like superion? Doesnt either make of Devastator look like devistator? Or Either make of Predakings. Most third parties I believe get it right with Combinors. FP took a different look to Menasaur, but I believe its a great combinor.

I believe what he's saying is that we often anticipate these figures with a definitive picture of what they should look like, whether its based on the animation, artwork, an original toy, or an alt mode based on an existing vehicle. We want these to look a particular way based on personal preference, and it's often disappointing when the toy manufacturer, be it Takara/Hasbro/ third party, takes a bit of creative license and makes a toy that is similar to what we want, but different enough to lose our interest. It's especially frustrating when a character you really like is announced to be made, especially if that character has little hope of getting official treatment, and you get your hopes up, you build it up in your mind, you scour the net for any crappy picture you can get, and then finally the clear pics start coming and it's....wrong, sooo wrong! I know I've done it. This was the case for me when Bandai's original chunky DX VF-25's were revealed. I already had the 1/72 model of the VF-25S with proper proportions and hip placement, so I figured the toy would follow suit. It didn't. We had to wait for the renewal version. But there were a lot of people who bought and defended the originals. And the same goes for TFs; people like different things, and often its more of the little details, or lack thereof, that irk us. Concerning the 3rd party Astrotrain, I'm with David; make it look as close to the real shuttle as possible, and as close to a real train. Those things exist, and the original toy looked as close to a real shuttle as 80's toy tech would allow; we've come along way since then, and when one company can churn out something with accurate-to-real-world alt modes, why can't they all? Some choose to take license just for the sake of it; that's fine for those who want something different, or just aren't that picky. I'm patient enough to wait for the "right" version to be made.

M'kyuun summed up what I meant pretty well. In short:

If the original character's alt-mode was clearly a specific real-life vehicle, and your 3P version of said character is also clearly emulating that same real-life vehicle---then make it a model of that real-life vehicle, and not your "own artistic interpretation" of that vehicle. Either do that vehicle, or something totally your own. Not something "80-90% like that vehicle".

Countach? Do a Countach.

T-62 tank? Do a T-62.

Corvette Stingray? Do a Corvette Stingray.

MiG-25? MiG-25.

If you're not doing that exact vehicle, and want to "be artistic"---then go make your own design entirely from scratch. Don't "mess up" someone's real-world design.

"80% like the real thing" just looks like you screwed up copying the real thing. Either go all the way, or completely ignore the G1 alt-mode. Don't "get really close, but off just enough that it looks like a a cheap $1 toy version of the vehicle"

Whoa! I'm dying to see the finished result of the "tank" - can't remember his name. I used to have him as a kid and he had the most simple transformation of any Gobot / Tranformer I had ever seen. You just folded him in half and you had a tank. The original One-Step changer.

Oh, be fair.

You had to plug his gun into his back too. :p

That giant expensive Fewture Optimus prime's is 3rd party, licensed.

Same for that big non-transforming scorponok thing.

Honestly, I think Third party is a poor description for unlicensed products like Maketoys and such. If a software company took the basic chunks of code from a gaming engine and used it to make their own game it wouldn't be third party, it would just be theft... but independent.

Not that I'm arguing that Maketoys and such are thieves like KO's, or not that I am against it - but it just seems like a bad description based on what we use the term third party for. I'm getting away from my own argument to make my point but....

....I think it should just be called "Indie" or "unlicensed" to avoid confusion. People love their shorthand so UL Transformers would be the best tag for it.

Third party to me, suggests granted access, which isn't what's happening. These companies are just creating their own designs, though taking the core concept from something they didn't create, because it's almost impossible to enforce the "idea" of a robot....(at least not on the scale of variety that Transformers bring to the table) though I feel like an IP lawyer could do it in this day and age.

If I owned a completely original robotic toy company, I would name it Flattery. Because imitation is the sincerest form of. All my releases would be called Flatteries(or possibly "Masterpiece Slag", but never by me).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Preorders are up for the Omnigonix Spinout:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=omn10000&mode=retail

http://tfsource.com/omnigox/spinout/

I wonder if I should preorder it. Someone on TFW mentioned that Takara is gonna releasing a MP Sunstreaker (just rumors of course) so I'm not sure if I should wait. Hopefully some of the Youtube reviewers get a test sample so I can see if this Omnigonix company is as solid a MMC/Fanstoys/Fansproject.

It looks great though. Kudos to the designer. :)

Hopefully some asian retailers put orders up. Shipping toys from the states always results in customs fees and extra shipping costs (shipping the item from the factory to the retailer). :(

Preorders are up for the Omnigonix Spinout:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=omn10000&mode=retail

http://tfsource.com/omnigox/spinout/

I wonder if I should preorder it. Someone on TFW mentioned that Takara is gonna releasing a MP Sunstreaker (just rumors of course) so I'm not sure if I should wait. Hopefully some of the Youtube reviewers get a test sample so I can see if this Omnigonix company is as solid a MMC/Fanstoys/Fansproject.

It looks great though. Kudos to the designer. :)

Hopefully some asian retailers put orders up. Shipping toys from the states always results in customs fees and extra shipping costs (shipping the item from the factory to the retailer). :(

yeah i have a feeling someone on this very board has something very much to do with SpinOut btw. i don't care if Takara is making one....they haven't announced one yet and who knows when they will get around to it. Spinout looks good so i'm gonna get it.

I also got my Maketoys Nemesis Tanker and I have to say it is mighty nice. It helps that it is based on the RtS (???) G2 Laser Prime mold that I really like (I have the TFCC Scourge).

A few observations:

I would rather have the Hypernovae wing backpack than the missile trailer but I can understand that a Scourge homage needs his tanker.

Sadly the chest plate and the chains for the cape can't store on the trailer. There would be a place for the chest plate on the backside of the trailer which you can use to slide the pieces with the handle of the chest into. What puzzles me is that on the back there is a peg molded in where you can store the backpack for armored mode but the peg is off-center. That looks dumb and blocks the slots for the chest piece. That is just lazy design.

The chains for the cape could be stored on the trailer if the peg-holes on the side panels would have the same diameter but they are 1 mm too small. What a bummer. The matrix-shaped cloak clasp is a nice touch.

I don't see a spot where you could store the cape but that is a piece crappy fabric. It is just awful. It encompasses everything I hate about mixed media toys. It is see-through, does not buckle nicely, it is too stiff and it feels cheap overall.

I have to get a new one. Does anyone know where I can get a sewing machine that Hot Toys uses? ^_^ I really need to find a person that tailors me a proper cloak. Black and red velvet with turquoise accents because the actual idea behind the cape where you can open the clasp and swing back shoulder pad to reveal the main body is a freaking cool idea.

PS: I realize that sounds pretty negatively but it is a really good toy. It is my first Maketoys release. On the other hand most of the positive aspects come from the base mold which is a HasTak design. However I would love to have more of their releases. Namely Green Giant and Quantron.

I jumped in on the Spinout preorder. Yeah, I'm definitely into it, for sure.

I've found that the biggest break point for me with 3rd party Transformers is the quality of plastic, so I hope Spinout is on par with the regular MP transformers. I was really turned off by the I-Gear Not Ironhide because the plastic quality was so off.

Anyway, yeah SPINOUT!

I don't know if this is quite the spot for this particular third-party question... but has anyone used TFKingdom's Macross decal sets? I was thinking of getting some for the very toy-styled pieces I'm restoring - like Takatoku/Bandai 1/55 Valks, and Matchbox plastic Destroids.

Edit -

I decided to order some, so I ordered a sheet each of the UN Spacy name in white and in black, the sheet of UNS kites, and the sheet of white Jolly Rogers. I'll offer a review and comparison after they arrive!

Edited by AcroRay