I kinda like this TFC version, I think it's cool looking, but my money is already on MMC.

Although, I do think TFC should've invest on making the MP scale of the Dinobots.

Edited by Valkyrie2008

What is all the hate for TFC?? They have been around before MMC ever knew what 3PC was with add ons and roller. I like the way ARES looks. UC to me is a knockoff of a knockoff. I will get both. While MMC is very nice to look at having a few MMC toys they are very delicate. While TFC is pretty sturdy.

Hate is such a strong word. In terms of aesthetics, MMC is winning, but I'll have to read up on the final product before I buy it. I'm just glad all these versions of Predaking are being made. Heck, I'm just glad all these 3rd party companies are making TFs that Hasbro/Takara will never tackle. And for the record, I like Hercules a lot. But Maketoys Giant is better :)

What is all the hate for TFC?? They have been around before MMC ever knew what 3PC was with add ons and roller. I like the way ARES looks. UC to me is a knockoff of a knockoff. I will get both. While MMC is very nice to look at having a few MMC toys they are very delicate. While TFC is pretty sturdy.

Hey, don’t get me wrong; I love this version of Lion from TFC. From the side view and the front view, it looks great. The lion’s head is awesome and I especially like the tail, but those four round things, does look kind of strange. When I first glance at the pic, without reading the text, I thought it was another vehicle.

I’ve already preorder and paid for the MMC version. But who knows, if all of the characters from TFC look cool, I might get that version too, if money is permitted.

Really, where? I don't get that from any of Griffith's recent posts at TFW. And are we talking something like 4 weeks or 4 months? Considering there's no actual schedule beyond "2nd Quarter" for the first release, it'd be hard to quantify the entire team's timeline/delay.If anything from their reps it sounds like MMC is rushing as fast as they can due to competition from both UT and TFC----doing Fortis right after Fortis instead of saving Bovis for last, to get as many limbs out as soon as possible, and accelerating Leo to get him out 2nd or 3rd due to Talon needing tweaks.

Good to hear it isn't delayed. I heard it from someone in TFW2005 local to me.

It was only a matter of time

10539_10151367167931901_1664583394_n.jpg

This upgrade kit looks great but TFC needs to put out Slingshot and Skydive 1st

When TFC puts their eye-searingly bad paint apps on that torso, opinions will change.

Plus---TFC's torso has like no back/sides. It's like 2-dimensional. It's not real obvious as most of their pics are at a shallow angle, but just wait until there's a "full 360" view of it like we have for MMC's. (which TFC will never show, we'll have to wait for an in-hand review)

I honestly think it's not going to be very apparent until someone has both TFC and MMC in hand, but MMC's design is just so much more "complete". It is awesome and "solid" from every angle. While TFC's is like many modern Hasbro figures---looks good from the front, but "it's not all there" when you look from the sides and rear.

(yes, I am very biased at this point)

The story of how 3 companies came to make a Predaking combiner.

Actually, MMC and TFC used to be "buddies". and tried to stay off each other's territory. MMC asks TFC if they are doing Predaking, so that if they are, they do something else. TFC tells them no problem, go right ahead, we are not doing it. MMC starts doing it, but UC comes out first, and MMC is pressed to get their demos / sculpt out sooner than expected so people see the option before all buying the UC. TFC secretely does predaking behind MMC's back. MMC wins the heart of many, if not most, with their beautifull design and engineering and fantastic communication with the public. MMC finds out about TFC secret plan later through some of their contacts, and now they are stuck, the small market must be shared into three, and the risks are high for them. TFC finally announces their Ares project. MMC and TFC product are much superior to UC. Some people start changing from MMC camp to TFC, due to the clean and beautiful design / look, whilst other prefer the MMC design and engineering and communication and stay true. Now, the waiting game till products start coming out from both MMC and TFC, which will be in the next few months. UC suffers due to extremely simplistic design and prices come down.

TFC vs MMC Leo:

- In Beast, MMC looks like it has much more flexibility and livelyhood, whilst TFC looks like a bear, and huge cannons and a nice tail, but some compare him to a cute kitty cat than an aggressive beast.

- In Robot Mode, TFC is clean and blocky, with a head scult hated by many (myself included) / whilst loved by others as it is that of the cybertonian look. The nice large cannons are noticeble. But many dont like the closed fists with holes in them for such a detailed character. MMC on the other hand has a beautifull head sculpt, which many preffer, and looks good in general, and cannons are not bad in this mode.

- Combined mode. Many people start noticing the nice head sculpt of TFC (myself included), and again those nice large Cannons, as well as the abs and well detailed crotch protector. Personnaly, I find this to be their best mode, and a safe and classic look. On the other hand, the head sculpt of MMC looks at first not as nice, but with further look and comparison, it is very unique, and does not bring the feeling of a good guy or heroic as many have stated. The back cannons are much smaller, but it is confirmed that the wings fit well in the back, though my guess is so will the TFC version. The TFC overall looks very detailed and clean, whilst the MMC looks bad ass and chunky, with a larger head to suit the combined mode. Hopefully, the TFC head wont be too small for the rest of the body, we shall see in time. MMC has done their design to allow alot of flexibility, such as making the combined mode look like a shiva by attaching multiple arms, and by even giving the option (and absolutely not necessary) of a 6th member, which will be tigra as a limb, making divebomb go completely as a back-pack if this is purchased. This makes an army of predacons possible, with all members being able to combine. This would become very expensive though, and many wont be able to afford that however, myself included.

Not much is known or announced from TFC at this time, more to come soon i am sure. On MMC, we are given alot of updates and questions answered from one of the designer, and many little upgrades done from original design, some of which were thanks to fellow members giving valid / feasable requests. The transformations are said to be simple, reducing the time to go from beast to robot to combined, so you wont feel like you have to go through a lot of hastle to keep changing every so often, and also we are told that these will be fun to play with, not just display, and leave it. We will see if both these claims are right once products are actually out, as nothing is certain yet. As for TFC, you probably heard of the Uranos project, bringing much uproars, but maybe this one will be different, only time will tell. There is certainly enough difference between the two sets, that many will get both.

Edited by Arthurius

I didn't know there was such drama between MMC and TFC. Man, if only Superion got this much attention. At this point, I kinda feel sorry for UT, but maybe there are fans out there who like Predaking to be on the svelt side...

The more I look at those circular parts on TFC's Razorclaw, ther more I don't like it. It evokes a lot of Voltron cues which I just do not like.

I also see way too much "Liger Zero" in TFC's beast mode. I mean yeah, all "giant robot lions" look alike somewhat, but look at the feet, toes/claws, and the "protruding round cylinder joints"---they are so Zoid-esque that I see it as a rip-off of a Liger, not an homage/inspiration. The claws especially----Zoid Ligers of all types have a quite distinctive way of doing the claws---and TFC's is exactly like that, and nothing like any incarnation of Razorclaw that I know of.

If you're familiar with Liger-type Zoids, look at this pic: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/4/0/5/9/7/8271cf6egw1e590egeyctj20sg0l3djg_1370105322.jpg

Check the claws, the shape of the foot itself, and the "ridged joint detail" right above the foot----that's a recessed Zoid cap.

The very long, thin eyes are also quite "Zoids Liger" esque. And the guns. Again----"all giant mecha guns" look somewhat alike---but these sure strike me as Zoid-esque more than "G1 TF".

MMC all the way. Don't like TFC way of operating.

BTW, the TFC torso might end up looking thin when combined. Leo has bulk to pass onto the combined form but Nemean looks very thin from the side. Just look at the lion mode pics.

I know I don't really post on this thread (though I do love to gawk at the pics posted here), but what if TFC had gone with a different transformation process for Uranos' F-16 limb?

I've been wondering if a transformation process similar to (but not exactly like) the Go-Bot figure Heatseeker would have been feasible.

It might have helped to streamline the fighter mode's fuselage a little bit and reduced the whole "wing with robot kibble hanging from the bottom" look.

But then again, there'd be massive seamline running through the middle of almost all of the fighter mode.

Edited by Mog

Well, that go-bot sure has a neat transformation! The TFC aerial bots are really just two variations of the same basic design. They are cylinders with wings, nose and tail. Legs retract and arms and shoulders go to the sides. That is it. The airplane parts hide the robotness.

The arms bots don’t have a massive seam running on their fuselage but they do have two massive (and different colored) arms that move the nose and tail parts together when transformed. What you say wouldn’t look worse in comparison.

Evidently this was all to save production costs but the torso bot is such a sorry excuse for a transformer that it takes the whole Uranos project down and turns it into a fast way to make money. And they even try to sell you a set to make it look good.

The simple and cost saving limb bots are even priced like the Herc bots. Their Hercules had six robots with very different transformations. Only two shared the leg transformation (the arm robots).

Whoa whoa whoa---I *wish* they were cylinders with wings, nose, and tail. Then Falcon and Harrier would have had half-way-decent jet modes. They're rectangles with wings, nose, and tail. Which really only works for the F-15 and MiG-25.

No BIG news, but a few tidbits:

1. People who managed to order "Super Nova" Hexatron (the grey version) have already started receiving it. It was only up for 6 minutes before it sold out. But considering that there were only 120 to go around, that's a lot better odds than a renewal DX IMHO.

2. Third "not-Stunticon", "Last Chance" is said to be on its way to retailers.

3. Lastly, since it's now buried a hundred pages back at TFW2005, I am reposting the biggest/most imformative post that "Griffith76" has made---it explains some of the thinking/changes made to MMC's Feral Rex since the days of the "red renders" and goes into some things we still haven't seen. Very interesting to see explanations of why things are the way they are:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Bovis and Fortis

They share the basic body and these two are pretty much ready. What I changed are mostly engineering stuff that none of you will be interested to hear like standard screw sizes, pin size etc.
The major flaws with this design were the lack of locking of beast limbs in robot and alternate mode and the front legs of the beast were left hanging downwards in leg mode. I made some modifications to ensure that there is no loose kibble in any mode.

Talon

We literally got trashed on ACtoys for the design of the wings based on the silhouette and we decided that we need better ones. The new set of wings are pretty much the same length but based very closely to IDW's art and of course the feathers are made articulated for a more dramatic effect.
The body proportions were changed slightly 'coz we feel that him and Tigris were too wide in arm mode. With the change in body proportions his Indian headdress had to go and I opted for a Dancougar look with a young handsome face as the older look did not suit the leaner body at all.
We decided that the simple flip down foot was too simple and the lower leg was too hollow so we filled that up and gave him new feet. And talons that are more complex and articulated.

Edit: and later multiple complaints on the Dancougar-styled helmet being too small (like a vulture). I modified the helmet to have a wider base similar to what it was originally and what is shown in the color render now.

Tigris

He had the same base body proportions as Talon but made much worse with the beast hind legs sticking out sideways in arm mode. He was made leaner as well and I redesigned his arms to have shoulders to resemble G1 more.
I modified the beast legs to make them look closer to how a real tiger should but they had to be a bit skinner to keep the arm mode compact.
Gave him a longer tail that points down instead of up and a neck for beast mode that he's missing. I also added a hunch to the tiger's look 'coz crouching tigers
He's actually my personal favorite and I think he looks really dynamic in botmode and fun to play and fiddle around with.

Leo

The original finalized Leo from Cassy was good in robot mode and a nice beast mode (apart from the arm joints looking a little unorthodox). We would have kept it if not for three very fatal flaws. Let's just call him V2 I don't know if Cassy considers the earlier larger mock up to be V1 or are there more versions inbetween.

1. V2 Leo is 9" tall. Its somewhat still acceptable but we really don't want a leader size figure if possible at all.

2. We understand that Cassy had originally wanted him to be even bigger and because we asked him to shrink it down to a reasonable size to scale with his team members, the combined mode suffered and we got what you guys would call the FOC Bruticus Syndrome. It didn't help that the bot's arms/beast front legs merely hung around loosely as back kibble.

3. Lastly, the leg transformation is basically too G1. The beast legs were still acceptable and they look pretty good in bot mode with the fake knee joint in his thigh... until the knee is bent. Anyone who knows how the G1 toy works will get the idea.

So basically with all these taken into consideration the only way to fix things was to redesign Leo from scratch. I loved the body so I kept it but chopped part of the sides off too and designed new arms that fold into a block that can add actual mass to the combined torso. Boss hated the heads so we got new ones. The design of the legs was one of the biggest challenges for me since G1 obviously doesnt work here and giving him beast legs like what we had for Tigris made the thighs look terrible. I came up with a new design where we still got some decent rear legs albeit a bit skinny, becomes almost unnoticeable from the front when kept in for torso mode. I'm proud of those legs.

Lastly was the biggest challenge of all. Rex has no ass. I spent 2 days designing a collapsible one for him but the kibble was too huge even when folded so back to the drawing board. Finally managed to come up with a design that's simple enough and actually looks somewhat decent to be a friggin shield coz like I explained before, the shield option is a must. So the rest is history and it became the hip that a lot of folks wished was 10% smaller.

Weapons

Oh and there's the huge-ass sword and the arm cannon. The sword was a reconfiguration of what Cassy has already done but I felt that his original design looked more like a club so I played around with the blades and managed to form something that pays some homage to his G1 sword. It was initially smaller but bossman says its too puny so it became the monster we're gonna have now. Downside to it is that it takes 2 blades for each member to form it. There's still some hidden secrets to that thing that we won't be revealing.

Cassy gave us G1 guns scaled up. They were huge and didn't go anywhere in almost any modes apart from being held in the hands of the robots. Cassy originally intended to use the sword handle as the arm cannon but we thought that's a little too cheap and it means we can't have both the sword and gun at the same time. I thought since we made the sword combine we might as well do it for the cannon as well. So I borrowed some gun models from what I did for the other toy company I worked for and made sure no one can tell where they came from after I'm done with them.

That's about the gist of what happened between the receiving of the finalized models from Cassy and my contribution to the overall design.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<