VF-25F Messiah VS YF-29 DURANDAL !!

moncikoma

THE WINNER IS?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. which is the best valk?

• DURANDAL
    • MESSIAH

I'm still waiting to hear about the order I put in with BBTS for a YF-29. My account page still lists it under the preorder section, but I haven't heard anything about it from them.

I'm pretty much resigned to not getting one at this point. <_<

Hmmm... BBTS shipped my YF-29 out yesterday. I placed my order back in February though (iirc).

Edited by Phalanix

Damn! My YF-29 is still stuck in in-transit limbo :( . Last entry on USPS is dated 06/03 and reads "Processed Through Sort Facility" at ISC NEW YORK NY... I guess hoping they could deliver it next door to CT in 2-3 days was too much to expect from that bastion of efficiency. <_<

They've completely taken the Frontier stuff off the list that's been around since February. So doesn't surprise me if you guys been in for a long wait.

I think my bank account cleared my echeck (that's just dumb....) with Nippon Yasan so with any luck I should be seeing my stuff as paid and cleared on their website tomorrow.

7353179770_f22419b427_z.jpg

Just got my YF-29 :) ... Aside from being a little bit dirty(oil) and some light scratches on the wings, its all good. Checked the wing and crotch hinges and everything seems to be ok. With the way the price of the YF-29 keeps on going up, i'm gonna keep this pristine and in fighter mode.

Now to figure out how to get a VF-25G...

Edited by m0n5t3r

Wow - thanks HKJ. I was able to snag one.

Unexpected impulse purchase! I wonder how amiami is getting random stock in.

Ehm didn't you say you bought one from Otacute as well, page 3? No comments - but you know what those would be... :-)

I got my Durandal a week ago and I still prefer the VF-25S. Durandal ain't bad though and I accept its place in Macross lore. I'd prefer the Ozma version from the game by a long shot though.

Had this waiting for me when I got back from vacay.

DSC00711.jpg

DSC00714.jpg

DSC00718.jpg

Second time around, I still don't like fighter mode, I don't like how the legs connect (or don't very well). However, I have come around to battroid mode. I think I will keep it displayed like this. Also, this time the shoulders don't pop off every time I try to move them, unlike the first time I had this toy. That's pretty much what drove me to freak out and sell it the first time.

DSC00728.jpg

DSC00735.jpg

I'm the opposite; don't really care much for the 29's Gundam-ish battroid and prefer fighter, despite the garish paint scheme... which detracts from the appearance in all modes. :p I've already remarked on how the parts don't fit as well as the renewals. Those shoulders pop out way too easily. Getting the arms tucked underneath with the shoulders still on was the most irritating part of the transformation. I don't think I'm going to bother transforming it again after that.

post-5703-0-88023400-1339349435_thumb.jpg

post-5703-0-44477100-1339349443_thumb.jpg

post-5703-0-76848100-1339349449_thumb.jpg

post-5703-0-28809100-1339349453_thumb.jpg

Second time around, I still don't like fighter mode, I don't like how the legs connect (or don't very well). However, I have come around to battroid mode. I think I will keep it displayed like this. Also, this time the shoulders don't pop off every time I try to move them, unlike the first time I had this toy. That's pretty much what drove me to freak out and sell it the first time.

DSC00735.jpg

For me i prefer it in fighter mode coz there's just too much on its back in both battroid and GERWALK mode. Which is the reason why i passed on this the first time around... Plus i was hoping for a better color scheme. I like that its nice and sleek in f-mode w/out any kibble.

The MacF DX valk that i really didn't connect w/ is the VF-27. I thought i'd grow to like it since i'm fond of my SV-51 Nora. At least Nora's hot compared to a freak flying a hot pink plane. Plus it looked dated when i saw a pic of the 27 beside the 29 and the renewals. After owning it for 2 years, i sold my DX VF-27 so i could get a YF-29. Good thing i was able to make a little profit from the sale since the YF-29 is damned expensive. :)

Personally I find the YF-29 is at it's best in Battroid mode. I actually like the large backpack wings, and I find that the battroid manages to conceal, eliminate or re-purpose a lot of the specific elements of the design that I feel hurt the appearance in fighter/gerwalk mode.

I do like the Fighter mode overall and think it's very cool in shape and concept, but many of the details that go into it just don't work for me. things like the black stripes, the leg alinement, the tiny canards and the bulkiness in the back end because of the all the added weapons all detract from the whole package.

Finally got my YF-29, well packed for secure transit... Otacute truly delivered! :)

I haven't transformed it yet but it's obvious the 29 doesn't share the same tolerances as the renewal 25s; there are a few bits that would greatly benefit from being a little tighter -- wing pods pivots, shield attachment are two that I really noticed. The toy did have a thin film of oily release agent on some of the surfaces, but nothing to really gripe about; and the soft PVC side antennas are a real let-down... wish they had included ABS versions to swap out the kiddy safe ones. I don't know if any improvements to the wing gloves-to-legs locking tabs because on my sample both side lock very securely which was a pleasant surprise given the nature of some of the complaints regarding these areas of the toy, and the paint application is damn near perfect; the red paint to red plastic mismatch is, however, very apparent but does not bother me in the least.

The design of the Durandal is one of those things that will depend on an individual's aesthetic sensibilities; personally I find it striking. I didn't really know if I'd like it once I had on hand to review it fully, but I do like it. If the VF-19 is a supper car, the VF-171 a sports car, and the VF-25 a show car, then the YF-29 is a tuner vehicle intended for display at SEMA... it's ostentatious, gaudy, full of kibble, doesn't look too practical, but looks really cool. :)

I also received my YF-29 from Otacute (two days ago). Kudos to them for coming through. I think out of all the toys so far, this one has the most gimmicks I've seen. It's the best engineered toy so far, with only a few minor issues (PVC antennas, lack of cockpit detail, lack of turbine detail/paint)

Best engineered? Do you own one of the renewals or one of the new Yamatos like the 19 or 17? They are all better IMO. The legs don't fit together as tightly in fighter and the shoulder pads are annoying to deal with when transforming.

I also feel it has useless gimmicks, like the wing tips bending a few degrees. Don't know what the purpose of that was, but it is featured in the instructions.

Edited by pud333

Best engineered? Do you own one of the renewals or one of the new Yamatos like the 19 or 17? They are all better IMO. The legs don't fit together as tightly in fighter and the shoulder pads are annoying to deal with when transforming.

I also feel it has useless gimmicks, like the wing tips bending a few degrees. Don't know what the purpose of that was, but it is featured in the instructions.

Ok, I guess I over-exaggerated. I do have a couple of the renewals and admit they are a vast improvement over their originals. I do not have a 19 or 17 (didn't 19 have the crooked gun placement and another notable issue?) But, for just out of the gate, the YF-29 gets a lot of things right (as well as the 27).

At any rate, the 29 is certainly an improvement over the previous offerings by Bandai. It's interesting to see the progress from the v1 25, to the 27, 29, and now the renewals. Bandai has improved in a very short amount of time. Hopefully the 171 is great.

Edited by pud333

Ok, I guess I over-exaggerated. I do have a couple of the renewals and admit they are a vast improvement over their originals. I do not have a 19 or 17 (didn't 19 have the crooked gun placement and another notable issue?) But, for just out of the gate, the YF-29 gets a lot of things right (as well as the 27).

The YF-19 from 2006 was a severely flawed toy with multiple known issues, the least of which was a crooked gun. The VF-19's from 2011 are works of art in plastic and diecast.

The YF-19 from 2006 was a severely flawed toy with multiple known issues, the least of which was a crooked gun. The VF-19's from 2011 are works of art in plastic and diecast.

Yeah, I was definitely talking about the new VF-19s. I wish they'd redo the YF-19. I would buy that in a heartbeat. Also redo the YF-21!