VF-25F Messiah VS YF-29 DURANDAL !!

moncikoma

THE WINNER IS?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. which is the best valk?

• DURANDAL
    • MESSIAH

Got a payment request email from Otacute for my Durandal pre-order today. I've only ordered from them once and had no problems; I hope they continue to prove reliable. Now to bite the bullet and send payment within the next 7 days.

Got a payment request email from Otacute for my Durandal pre-order today. I've only ordered from them once and had no problems; I hope they continue to prove reliable. Now to bite the bullet and send payment within the next 7 days.

This is my first order from them and I've just send my payment.

I was about to link to the main DX YF-29 thread, but as it appears to have been closed with no new thread created, there is no more appropriate thread for the DX -29 at the moment---my mistake, and I apologize.

(my issue with it wasn't prices/availability, but that this thread was created as a mold comparison etc thread, not a general DX -29 thread--but again, since the "main" one is effectively gone, this'll have to do)

I so don't care about the spikey, oversaturated YF-29 anime design and toy that I don't bother looking for it. Every once in a while I still wish to find a VF-25S at a good price. Why not compare the VF-27 and the YF-29, they have a bit more in common besides the pilot. I am biased towards fighter mode, and the -25 is just much cleaner and worthy inheritor of the VF lineage than the gundammy -29

on the subject of VF-25F vs YF-29, I'd choose... the VF-171EX :p

between the two listed though, I'd have a hard time choosing. there's things I like and things I don't about both. The forward swept wings with mid wing engine nacelles on the YF-29 are pretty awesome but a lot the other details the on the -29 look really tacked on and unattractive. I don't care for the leg missile packs or the back gun turret, and forward swept canards and crystals on the chest look absolutely terrible. The paint scheme is also pretty dire.

Personally, I'd love to see a VF-25 with just the wings from the 29, and the E type head and "Sword Dancer" paint scheme featured in the master file book. that would be pretty cool.

:edit:

have I mentioned that I absolutely hate the small forward swept canards on the YF-29? I hate them on the YF-29 and I hate them on the VF-27 too.

Edited by anime52k8

$219.24 shipped via Registerd SAL from Otacute (about $5.00 more than just plain SAL, but I figured the tracking number was worth it); Now to wait for the shipping notification and eventual delivery. Steep price in my book but, compared to Yamato's latest MSRPs, still manageable.

I believe that it just got moved to the front page on Amiami's site, and given the 'restock' designation, as a function of it having arrived at its release date. To my knowledge, it's been sold out almost from the minute the preorder for the re-release went up. I still can't quite believe I was able to secure a copy with Otacute when I did... all thanks to a posting on this site that led me to it in time to pounce on it.

When preorders for the VF-25S went up everywhere I procrastinated because I wanted to personally check the VF-25F I had on the way. Once I verified that the renewal versions were worthy of purchase I had every intention of buying Ozma's version; alas, it was too late... sold out or scalped to ludicrous levels everywhere. So, when the re-release for the YF-29 was announced I did not hesitate... too late for Amiami and HLJ, but Otacute came through.

Lesson learned; when the preorders started for the VF-171EX I went to every site I could think of an hit sold-out dead-ends everywhere... it was here and gone like a fart in the wind; I did get lucky to preorder from HLJ once they reopened their preorders for a limited window – again thanks to a tip posted on this site. If I come across a preorder for the 25G, RVF-25, or any other VF-171s I won't hesitate to secure my copy. It's clear that Bandai have decided to produce all these toys in extremely limited batches in order to create increased demand among collectors.

It creates buzz, guarantees sell-off of every subsequent release and re-release, eliminates any possibility of left-over stock warehouse-warming, and builds the brand... they do run the risk of alienating a lot of potential customers; but lets face it, as soon as they do release something new, we lemmings just eat it up.

Edit: The economics of the high-end toy market must have changed a lot due to the lousy global economic conditions we've been living under the past 3 1/2 - 4 years. I can only assume that their production numbers are adequate to balance their investment on these toy lines and secure a sizable profit; otherwise, they couldn't keep producing them... let alone new stuff. So any strategy that increases brand awareness must be seen, by them, as a net positive.

It doesn't make the pursuit of these toys by the public any easier/enjoyable, but it does make it a challenge that more than a few are willing to undertake.

Edited by mechaninac

I guess for that strategy to make any sense, they have to issue re-releases every so often, so there's probably hope for that down the road in years to come.

Doesn't make things any easier for current fans though, and you have to wonder if the hype about Frontier will carry on long enough to make it a viable tactic. If they wait too long to issue re-releases, people will give up and lose interest.

It creates buzz, guarantees sell-off of every subsequent release and re-release, eliminates any possibility of left-over stock warehouse-warming, and builds the brand... they do run the risk of alienating a lot of potential customers; but lets face it, as soon as they do release something new, we lemmings just eat it up.

Edit: The economics of the high-end toy market must have changed a lot due to the lousy global economic conditions we've been living under the past 3 1/2 - 4 years. I can only assume that their production numbers are adequate to balance their investment on these toy lines and secure a sizable profit; otherwise, they couldn't keep producing them... let alone new stuff. So any strategy that increases brand awareness must be seen, by them, as a net positive.

It doesn't make the pursuit of these toys by the public any easier/enjoyable, but it does make it a challenge that more than a few are willing to undertake.

This situation has pretty much become the norm with SH Figuarts, Figma, and many other toy lines. Once the initial production run stock is gone, you have to wait until the next production run - which could be months in the future.

My YF-29 is also on the way from Otacute - finally.

When did you order your YF-29? Was it backordered? Do you remember when you ordered by any chance? I've ordered mine when it was backordered but haven't heard anything from them yet.

Now that I have the VF-25S in hand I can comment on the toys. I enjoyed transforming the 25 much more - although dealing with the head is still a PITA. No spiky parts on the 25 to have to worry about. While transforming the 29 I was constantly worried about the head fin, the canards, the wing tips and the wings themselves (easy to get stress marks if you bend the wings too far back). No matter which way I flopped the toy there was some thin spiky part in a precarious position. The canards on the 29 were also a constant worry when posing the legs.

After seeing the 2nd movie and now that I've gotten my hands on a VF-25 I don't regret having sold the YF-29.

When did you order your YF-29? Was it backordered? Do you remember when you ordered by any chance? I've ordered mine when it was backordered but haven't heard anything from them yet.

My order date was 2/09/12 at about 1:00pm (PST?)

I'm not sure if it was on pre order or backorder, I just submitted an order asap

I put my reservation in on 02-09-12 EST and I'm almost positive it was listed as pre-order; their confirmation email is dated the 10th. I've sent payment for the full amount by Paypal on the 27-28th and my credit card shows the transaction as completed, but I haven't received a shipping confirmation message yet; I figured I'd give them one week from their payment acknowledgement email before raising the red flag... I don't want to worry at this moment but I'm starting to get a bit concerned. :unsure:

Edited by mechaninac

I put my reservation in on 02-09-12 EST and I'm almost positive it was listed as pre-order; their confirmation email is dated the 10th. I've sent payment for the full amount by Paypal on the 27-28th and my credit card shows the transaction as completed, but I haven't received a shipping confirmation message yet; I figured I'd give them one week from their payment acknowledgement email before raising the red flag... I don't want to worry at this moment but I'm starting to get a bit concerned. :unsure:

It took three days before I received my shipment confirmation email.

Pre-ordered on Thursday Feb 08

Payment made on Friday May 25

Shipment confirmation received on Monday May 28

Hot diggity damn, just got the shipping confirmation email from Otacute for my Durandal... delivery estimated in 2-3 weeks. All the postings about unfulfilled pre-orders had me a bit antsy, but Otacute delivers! Now to wait to see what all the fuss is about.

Edit: And the tracking # confirms it... processed through sorting facility, Tokyo Japan. :)

Edited by mechaninac