Macross Plus, movie edition?

Well... It is worth it, and at the same time, some may disagree... I kinda straddle both arguments.

I suggest you rent it first and then buy it if you like it.

BTW your scratched disk can be fixed quite easily, just find a shop that will resurface your disks. I don't know if you have a Microplay in your area, but they'll do it.

Well, the new scenes are just to help fill in the gaps in the story that happen when you turn 4 40+ minute episodes into 1 90 minute movie. There are relatively few brand new scenes. The alternate ending if I recall is just an extended one. On the plus side though, you do get to see Lucy naked :) like 19 said, rent it first if you can.

$30 is way too much for ANY DVD (unless that's in Canadian currency). There is also an extended dogfight between the Ghost in YF-21, which (IMHO) is well worth the price for picking up the Movie Edition. You won't be disappointed. B)

i liked the movie edition, for the Guld-Ghost dogfight and for the better ending. theres also a bit fo fanservice, if you're into that sort of thing. i do think it helps trim some of the fat off the OVA. unfortunately, it trims Isamu's space battle at the beginning, which was one of my favorite parts...

The movie edition is wonderful. The story isn't as fleshed out as in the OVA, but it's presented in a much more cinematic and dramatic way. The additional animation is great, and even alone is worth picking this version up for.

$30 isn't right, unless you're talking Canadian currency like someone else mentioned. You can often find it for just under $20 USD in most video stores (as well as DVDs of the OVA). I'd reccomend picking it up, even if you have the OVA on DVD.

Manga is apparently planning a box set release of both the OVA and the movie edition, but I heard they're planning on an $80+ price, which is completely unjustifiable.

Oh, before I forget, I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet but you may be dissapointed with the Movie Edition's video quality. Manga took their VHS master and used that for the DVD. So you get about VHS quality video. They don't plan on fixing this for their Box Set version.

The thing is, where I live, the only place to rent movies is Blockbluster, which only has a bunch of DBZ movies. Also, that probably IS the lowest price, considering Sam Goodey is like the only local place to buy anime.

I know the feeling, but the Blockbuster in my town had ep 1 of Mac plus, but ONLY EP 1!!! The closest Suncoast had shut down, so it took me three years to see the end of the OVA (thankfully my friends bought me the Movie Version they found in the meantime). Oh... the days before DVD

The thing is, where I live, the only place to rent movies is Blockbluster, which only has a bunch of DBZ movies. Also, that probably IS the lowest price, considering Sam Goodey is like the only local place to buy anime.

I know the feeling myself. It's not only impossible to find good anime for rental, all my local places haven't gotten any good games since vice city.

Anyway, is there really no Best Buy around? They carry lots of anime...

I got mine at otakon for 15 bucks.

I got mine from DeepdiscountDVD for that same price, before they raised the price due to demand when it first came out.

Manga is apparently planning a box set release of both the OVA and the movie edition, but I heard they're planning on an $80+ price, which is completely unjustifiable.

Oh, before I forget, I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet but you may be dissapointed with the Movie Edition's video quality. Manga took their VHS master and used that for the DVD. So you get about VHS quality video. They don't plan on fixing this for their Box Set version.

It's $80 because it will include M2:Lovers Again, as well as a bonus disc, but since none of the footage will be cleaned up, I won't be buying it anyways. :p

sam goody and suncoast ( i think they're sister-companies or something) both have sucktacular pricing. Selling it for $30 is highway-robbery considering the poor job Manga did on the release, i.e. poor vhs-quality video-transfer and exclusion of the excellent english-dubs of the OVA.

You should've gotten it from Bestbuy (ironic since I think bestbuy owns those two stores above), CircuitCity, Gamestop, Electronic Boutique, and Software Etc because they all sell it for $20 or less.

--treatment--

Got rid of all the REALLY bad looking Isamu faces (his animation doesn't look different in different scenes anymore, which you'll notice they are different in the OVA version).

Not to mention they managed to fix most of the animation error, such the soldiers performing the gun salute for the ceremony. The OAV version looked uneven and jumbled, while the movie version fixed it so they performed right for the gun salute with their M4 rifles.

Well, the new scenes are just to help fill in the gaps in the story that happen when you turn 4 40+ minute episodes into 1 90 minute movie.

As I understand it,it's actually the other way around. The movie was the original version, and marketing asked for an OVA to use to build up anticipation.

so, it includes NO dubbing (so sue me, I like dubs more than subs <_<)?

Any place I could get it off the web?

BTW, I have nothing, nothing except K-Mart and Sam Goodey to get anime down here :(

If you can read, you can read subs. Being forced to read subs is worth it when watching Macross Plus Movie Edition.

Oh, before I forget, I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet but you may be dissapointed with the Movie Edition's video quality. Manga took their VHS master and used that for the DVD. So you get about VHS quality video.

So is there another version of the movie edition out there that wasn't done by Manga (and that features better quality video)? If so, does anyone know where I can buy it (online)?

You know, I have a pretty good setup (progressive scan 16:9 HDTV with progressive scan DVD player connected via component and full 5.1 ch DD surround sound) and can't say I was disapointed by the Movie Edition's DVD quality. Might be that it's "just" animation, but I'm a stickler for high quality home theatre with live-action. Maybe I'm just getting used to bootlegs...

As I understand it,it's actually the other way around. The movie was the original version, and marketing asked for an OVA to use to build up anticipation.

Nope. Bad information, the OVA came first.

I know hte OVA was released first.

What I mean is the movie was the original script from before marketing asked for an OVA.

Found the source.

Over on Macross Compendium, for those that care.

http://macross.anime.net/fallacies/index.html

I know hte OVA was released first.

What I mean is the movie was the original script from before marketing asked for an OVA.

Found the source.

Over on Macross Compendium, for those that care.

http://macross.anime.net/fallacies/index.html

I was wondering where you had gotten your information and that was one of my guesses, tht you meant it was originally intended to be a movie. That could very well be correct and I see no reason to argue against the Compendium.

Glad things went the way they did, though, as both versions are definitely worth having.

Agreed, M+ movie is what my friends and I usually end up watching. The OVA has more character development but the movie ending is SO much better. Sounds like web purchasing is your best bet, or you could try getting the VHS for cheaper (sounds like the picture quality's the same anyway)