Mari Ijima and Macross...

Great post Zinjo. Maybe she should write a song called "I am not Minmay"

http://movies.yahoo....-225347829.html

Believe it or not -- There IS a Mari song called "Don't Call Me Minmay!" AFAIK It's not on any albums, I think it was a remix of soundclips by some guy, and actually it's not bad at all. The chorus is sung, and the verses are mostly made up of interview soundbites. Some of the lyrics have her referencing Robotech, too. I do have it somewhere, but I don't have any confidence in finding it any time soon among all the junk I have now...

Edited by Renato

With Leonard Nimoy was the same thing.

He did not like being compared to Spock, so he wrote a book about it.

But he saw that he could not live without the character, and he returned to write another book, saying the he was essential.

I believe that sometimes We must embrace our "other", because without him We are not nothing.

Keith can say that will not understand what I said.

But that's what I think.

If we are famous for a character, we must believe in it. Until the end.

I found her on Facebook, saw her pictures with her two sons, one who is taller than she is. She still looks so young that she can pass for a younger sister to her son, and the bunny is so cute that I commented on it's cuteness.

I think the problem here is the lack of sensitivity of some over the top fanboys. I mean... Even I who do not know much about her work as a musician wouldn't ask her about Macross when she is promoting something completely unrelated. That's a totally lack of respect. I love Macross and I am a fan, but I like to respect people. The same thing with Kawamori. If he was promoting Basquiat I wouldn't ask him anything about Macross in an interview... just out of respect. Respect always comes first people.

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

• 2 weeks later...

I think the problem here is the lack of sensitivity of some over the top fanboys. I mean... Even I who do not know much about her work as a musician wouldn't ask herself about Macross when she is promoting something completely unrelated. That's a totally lack of respect. I love Macross and I am a fan, but I like to respect people. The same thing with Kawamori. If he was promoting Basquiat I wouldn't ask him anything about Macross in an interview... just out of respect. Respect always comes first people.

I would, but I would relate it to the current topic rather than leave it as a stand alone question.

If anything, I really dislike Mari's songs for Macross with the sole exception of Do You Remember Love? and An Angel's Paints. I am a big fan of hers and have bought many of her albums. I even went out of my way to find a copy of probably one of the rarest compilation albums of hers: Mari Picks "The Ultimate Collection" (1987-1999). Her most recent EP is very good. I expressed this to her on Facebook and she sent me a private PM thanking me. How many artists would go out of their way to do that? Living on the east coast, it is kind of hard for me to fly out there and see her performances at Ghengis Cohen. I would really love to see her perform live. I fully understand her feelings on this matter, and when I do respond to something on Facebook she writes, Minmay is the furthest thing on my mind. She is Mari Iijima and will always be to me.

And you Rick, are a complete bahstard! :p

I love The Young Ones. But not as much as Mari Iijima.

Think she'd be offended if we asked her to sing the theme song from The Young Ones? :)

(way off topic, but my favorite episode was the Narnia one).

Edited by Keith

All I know is that it wouldn't be a big deal for her if she was more famous for other things she has done since Macross. Not sure who's fault that is, but that's really the bottom line. I kind of have to agree with Noriko Takaya. I enjoy listening to DYRL and Angel's Paints. Her other Macross songs are quaint and nice, but it's really dated now. There was nothing that was really catchy nor something I want to listen to often. There was that theme song to Galaxy Angel that I liked as well.

To be perfectly honest, I have no interest in listening to her new work. Maybe I should. Maybe it's good and I would enjoy it, but I don't feel compelled to seek it out. Does she sing mostly in Japanese or English? If she is mainly a Japanese artist, why would she be very popular in the US if not for being tied to an anime or something that would hook in the fans? If she mostly writes English songs, it's probably very difficult for a non-Western artist to make it in the US music industry. I'm just not sure what she wants for herself or what she expected to happen coming to the US as a Japanese music artist. Or, maybe she's content with her music career, and is just tired of talking about Macross?

Even with May'n and Nakajima, I like listening to all the Frontier related stuff. If they ever produced new stuff that is similar I would check it out. I really don't know what they are saying. I sometimes try to find out a general sense of what the song is about, but for me it's all about the sound of the music and lyrics.

I can see why she would feel the way she does. I don't blame her for feeling upset if she keeps getting bombarded by Macross when she personally is not interested in that. Maybe she feels if not for Macross her other work would have been more popular. Maybe it is relatively popular, I don't really pay much attention to all that so I don't really know. But, as frustrating is it seems to be, you should never vent at the fans that like you. The bottom line is they are her fans. For whatever reason they like her, they do. And, that's something to feel good about.

And, for the record, I have never once contacted her about Macross in person or through the internet. I just didn't want to make it seem like I was offended by what she said. As a Macross fan I'm content in leaving her alone and just enjoying Macross. I just felt she shouldn't let it get to her to the point that she needed to vent like that.

Edited by sharky

She sings in Japanese and English, has many English only albums. You have to be a fan of soft pop music to appreciate her later work. imo there is usually a big difference between anime music and normal pop music, the quality of the latter is usually greater and in Mari's case this is definately the case. She is a student of music with many influences and that didn't come out in her heavily controlled music for Macross. She's had some very catchy tunes ever since Midori. I definately enjoy her post Macross music more.

I bought 5 copies Echo in one visit. =)

I will send anyone a copy if they want to pay for postage. ^_^

You haven't responded to my PM so I assume you aren't willing to post overseas?

Bah, I don't mind what Mari said at all.

She's more than just Minmay to many of her fans. I've moved on from her being just Macross' Minmay. She's a great singer and song writer. I'll always be a fan of hers no matter what she thinks of Macross.

Think she'd be offended if we asked her to sing the theme song from The Young Ones? :)

(way off topic, but my favorite episode was the Narnia one).

Well, she might if she is a Cliff Richard fan. And since it doesn't have anything to do with Macross it would be a sure win.

(Off topic also: I love the episode 'Sick'. The sight of hippy Neil dressed as a police officer busting heads is funny.

She sings in Japanese and English, has many English only albums. You have to be a fan of soft pop music to appreciate her later work. imo there is usually a big difference between anime music and normal pop music, the quality of the latter is usually greater and in Mari's case this is definately the case. She is a student of music with many influences and that didn't come out in her heavily controlled music for Macross. She's had some very catchy tunes ever since Midori. I definately enjoy her post Macross music more.

You haven't responded to my PM so I assume you aren't willing to post overseas?

I don't have problem shipping overseas, probably your request got lost in the shuffle, sorry!

Please let me know what country and I will get back to you. =)

Well, she might if she is a Cliff Richard fan. And since it doesn't have anything to do with Macross it would be a sure win.

(Off topic also: I love the episode 'Sick'. The sight of hippy Neil dressed as a police officer busting heads is funny.

Great... Now I have visions of Mari rocking out to "The Ace of Spades".

• 3 weeks later...

Nanoplasm is a champion. Received a FREE copy of Echo from him in the mail today. Outstanding man. If you're ever down under I'm buying. I haven't been able to justify things like Mari album purchases for a while now being in and out of work but you really came through.

Really looking forward to listening to this.

Thanks so much.

Edited by Bounty Hunter

• 10 months later...

Thanks to azrael for linking me to this thread. I suspected as much, but did not know. (And I'll totally pass on criticism of her. Her life is her life and her music is her music. If she hates something, none of anyone else's business to say she is wrong).

But still - and I do hope she is *not* reading this... would not exactly the same stuff, only worse, happen to Minmay inworld? Being typecast as a cute anime singer for 30 years apparently sucks. How about being typecast forever, history books likely included, as "the one who sang to save our ass when she was 16" by humans and "the Cute Transforming Face of Culture" by zentraedi? (I guess that is how Minmay is remembered in Frontier-verse). She got loads of laurels to rest on - and her own achievement that she has no chance of overcoming?

Also - someone here supposed that Minmay's leaving on the SDF2 is a reference to Mari leaving for the US. But is that even feasible? Was FB2012 filmed after she departed for the States?

P.S. I'd really love to listen to "Don't Call me Minmay" :)

P.S/2. Added the beginning of the quote to http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IAmNotSpock so the information is disseminated more widely (and hopefully Mari-sama gets harassed a little bit less with the stuff she does not like)

Edited by Saruta

• 2 years later...

It's been two years since I commented on this already-old thread, but I still can't get rid of the vision of Minmay, off screen, going through pretty much the same story. I don't remember where I found the formula "Mari Iijima is not Minmay, but Minmay is Mari"; it certainly appears that the screenwriters based the character on the actor in more than just voice.

And despite my usual music tastes lying somewhat elsewhere, I actually do enjoy Mari's later music - imagining it to be Minmay's later music in the Macross universe. (Yes, she has disappeared, but she does not have to be dead). "Survivor" in particular

sounds like that. Post-SDFM Macross is a world of survivors.

• 4 months later...

Just stumbled to this accidentally over YouTube. Hearing her story about becoming Minmay and how close she is to Hikaru's voice actor Arihiro Hase. One of the comment said this was shot probably during 2006(?). Anyone can confirm.

Just stumbled to this accidentally over YouTube. Hearing her story about becoming Minmay and how close she is to Hikaru's voice actor Arihiro Hase. One of the comment said this was shot probably during 2006(?). Anyone can confirm.

IIRC, it was one of the bonuses on the ADV set, so 2004.

My copy of the ADV release has copyright 2006. This particular interview is on Vol 1. Disc 1. There's also a couple of other Mari interviews on Vol 2. Disc 3 & 4

Good god I can listen to her talk all day. :wub:

Edited by sharky

Enjoyed the podcast, keep up the good work guys. Pretty sure there's more than three of us listening.

It really came at serendipitous time for me. I was at this year's MWCon and so got the privilege of seeing her live and it is interesting to hear about the scene and her concert over there.

I haven't really been following her career and am only deep diving back in to Macross after many years of other stuff. I liked the briefing you guys gave.

I do hope Renato releases his documentary at some point. I'm probably not the only one who would like to see it.