Jump to content

Macross World Podcast - feedback & comments


Tochiro

Recommended Posts

I've recently started working through the SpeakerPodCast's back catalog during my thrice-weekly walking-trail exercise. Always fascinating, but to supply context and improve comprehensibility, might I suggest:

  • At the start of each episode, state the date you're recording it. The publication date is metadata, but I don't necessarily look at the metadata if I'm letting my iPhone iterate through my podcast queue.
  • Also at the start: what's the current state of emergency in Tokyo, and how has that impacted moving out-and-about?
  • When name-dropping, help those of us who aren't so plugged-in to the industry and physical layout of Japan:
    • People: "So-and-so, director of Series-PQR and Series-STU"
    • Musicians: They tend to have weird names that a listener might not recognize when spoken. "Who's Main? Oh, May'n, the vocalist for Sheryl Nome. I thought it was pronounced May-uhn."
    • Projects: "Title-XYZ, a TV series from 2007"
    • Locations: "Held at Site-JKL, a small event venue in the basement of a department store in Gotanda ward, Tokyo"

Each episode has an agenda but the actual direction of the conversation is seat-of-the-pants, so please keep in mind, "if we allude to XYZ, how much context (who/what/when/where/why) do listeners need, to understand why XYZ is significant?" If you realize during editing that clarification is needed, insert an explanation: "In this next section we talk about the production team for ABC: person 1, person 2, and person 3, whom we've met at several publicity events over the past five years, so they're willing to share extra details with us."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/29/2021 at 10:43 AM, ValkAddict said:

I just finished listening to this one over the last few days. Long, but great stuff! Thanks to all of you (especially Tony) for explaining many of the hidden meanings and storyline threads. It helped me appreciate the series more.

I've also been listening to the older podcasts (started with episode 1 and am currently at episode 84) - it's great to hear the groups thoughts and views on past Macross and anime events.

Thanks so much for tuning in! We (in other words, me ^^; ) can get off topic a bit at times but hopefully we manage to convey what the fan experience is like over here, which is what we initially set out to do.
If you have any questions or feedback - its always welcome 🙂

On 9/5/2021 at 10:23 PM, Lexomatic said:

I've recently started working through the SpeakerPodCast's back catalog during my thrice-weekly walking-trail exercise. Always fascinating, but to supply context and improve comprehensibility, might I suggest:

  • At the start of each episode, state the date you're recording it. The publication date is metadata, but I don't necessarily look at the metadata if I'm letting my iPhone iterate through my podcast queue.
  • Also at the start: what's the current state of emergency in Tokyo, and how has that impacted moving out-and-about?
  • When name-dropping, help those of us who aren't so plugged-in to the industry and physical layout of Japan:
    • People: "So-and-so, director of Series-PQR and Series-STU"
    • Musicians: They tend to have weird names that a listener might not recognize when spoken. "Who's Main? Oh, May'n, the vocalist for Sheryl Nome. I thought it was pronounced May-uhn."
    • Projects: "Title-XYZ, a TV series from 2007"
    • Locations: "Held at Site-JKL, a small event venue in the basement of a department store in Gotanda ward, Tokyo"

Each episode has an agenda but the actual direction of the conversation is seat-of-the-pants, so please keep in mind, "if we allude to XYZ, how much context (who/what/when/where/why) do listeners need, to understand why XYZ is significant?" If you realize during editing that clarification is needed, insert an explanation: "In this next section we talk about the production team for ABC: person 1, person 2, and person 3, whom we've met at several publicity events over the past five years, so they're willing to share extra details with us."

Many thanks for listening and for the extensive feedback! Will see what we can do, but any changes unfortunately have to take a backseat to just finding the time to get anything out at the moment. Often we do need to record separate segments whenever we can in 20-30 mins segments with editing being crammed in during lunch breaks (when I actually get lunch breaks ^^; ) hence the lack of dates - a single cast might be done in several segments over a month and may not actually get edited for a month or more depending on how busy things are. And with a movie and a 40th anniversary coming up - oh boy ^^; At least things are in the meta data, as you noted.
But we are always hoping to improve over the long run, so thanks again for the feedback!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Tochiro, @Save, @Renato - Just finished listening to your recent podcast, great stuff!

It's cool to listen to your news segment and actually follow what you're discussing in real-time. I'm looking forward to the next Delta movie as well. (As I've been listening to many of your older podcasts the last year and their news segments obviously are no longer news.) Regarding @Renato's comments about the Bandai Chogokin DX VF-1D - preach!! I want a Minmay figure that can sit in the valk too!!

Did @Save ever record his thoughts on the Evolution Toys VF-2SS toy? If so, which episode? I'm curious if he was disappointed or not, and if he thinks the Bandai Hi-Metal toy was better. :)

Keep it up - this fan appreciates the podcast!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ValkAddict said:

Did @Save ever record his thoughts on the Evolution Toys VF-2SS toy? If so, which episode? I'm curious if he was disappointed or not, and if he thinks the Bandai Hi-Metal toy was better. :)

I wouldn't put words in @Save 's mouth. But I know many wanted to support Evolution toys efforts, if only to show M2 love. And for toy companies to take note there is a , somewhat, sizable demand for such toys. And, imo , Bandai did take note..

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ValkAddict said:

Did @Save ever record his thoughts on the Evolution Toys VF-2SS toy? If so, which episode? I'm curious if he was disappointed or not, and if he thinks the Bandai Hi-Metal toy was better. :)

Here's the SpeakerPodcast direct link for Episode 30: https://www.decultureshock.com/speakerpodcast-ep-30-delta-folds-in/

Below is @Tochiro's post of the said episode above in the Evolution Toy VF-2SS toy thread back in 2015.

On 11/6/2015 at 10:14 AM, Tochiro said:

Latest podcast includes SAVE's impressions of the VF-2SS and the lowdown on the SAP.
Timestamps included.

http://www.macrossworld.com/speakerpodcast-ep-30-delta-folds-in/

 

And these are some podcasts I found via search regarding VF-2SS conversation: 

https://www.decultureshock.com/speakerpodcast-ep-95-the-doctor-is-region-locked/

https://www.decultureshock.com/speakerpodcast-ep-97-adrian-knerds-out/

https://www.decultureshock.com/speakerpodcast-ep-91-gotta-have-a-party-gunhed/

https://www.decultureshock.com/speakerpodcast-ep-24-we-dont-need-no-landing-gear/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I wouldn't put words in @Save 's mouth. But I know many wanted to support Evolution toys efforts, if only to show M2 love. And for toy companies to take note there is a , somewhat, sizable demand for such toys. And, imo , Bandai did take note..

 

My intention wasn't to be overly critical of Evolution Toys. Listening to the podcasts, I know that he's a big Macross II fan.

And thanks @no3Ljm for all the links! I will have to check them out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ValkAddict said:

My intention wasn't to be overly critical of Evolution Toys. Listening to the podcasts, I know that he's a big Macross II fan.

I don't think anyone thought you were having an intention to be critical. About anything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tochiro said:
So this was originally going to be a podcast dedicated to Godzilla vs Kong - but then this weekend's Macross news dropped! The result? One very long podcast ^^;

Another new podcast already?? Awesome!! Looking forward to hearing your guys' thoughts on the recent Macross news

Edited by ValkAddict
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2021 at 7:36 PM, Tochiro said:
So this was originally going to be a podcast dedicated to Godzilla vs Kong - but then this weekend's Macross news dropped! The result? One very long podcast ^^;

Finally had a chance to listen to this one. Another great discussion. Truly appreciate you guys getting together to record these.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2021 at 7:36 PM, Tochiro said:
So this was originally going to be a podcast dedicated to Godzilla vs Kong - but then this weekend's Macross news dropped! The result? One very long podcast ^^;

Had a few listen to's on this one. Very much enjoyed it! I too grew up watching Godzilla in the 70's and have been a fan ever since. Definitely appreciated Adrian and Tony's input. SP has been a fun watch, also.

Considering we now have the first 5 minutes of the new Delta Movie  (info dump/ TEASER in Renato's voice/), and it's about to drop in Japanese theaters, (along with the Frontier short!) , I expect there will be much to talk about in the near future ! 

Great job guys, Thanks !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...