Macross World Podcast - feedback & comments

Tochiro

Hey there guys. Just a heads up that we will be running a day or two late this week due to the entire crew being off at Anime Expo on a top secret sortie.
Once we manage to find a time that everyone can Skype in, we'll get a cast recorded.

Hey there guys. Just a heads up that we will be running a day or two late this week due to the entire crew being off at Anime Expo on a top secret sortie.

Once we manage to find a time that everyone can Skype in, we'll get a cast recorded.

We're drinking without you. Get over here, nerd.

• 2 weeks later...

Just listened to it. Great show. There were a few things I have a different take on, but overall, I like the difference in opinions on this one. If they weren't done before, the triangle of Mirage/Freyja/Hayate is now quite openly shown. I did feel kinda sad for Mirage, but like in many Macross series (well, almost all of them), the triangle gets pulled in both directions to each competitor's advantage. also, I think the way the timing was set for both Arad and Kaname, it's a typical trope in many various romantic shows, not just anime, where it shows that both people involved like each other. I think this was something going on for awhile between the two, but never came to fruition due to Messer. I think maybe both felt they needed to protect him. For Arad, it was more about keeping him focused on being the pilot he needed to be despite the Var, and for Kaname, keeping that "Idol reputation" for Messer, who was influenced by her music. Now, if there's going to be a triangle there, it's going to be Arad, Kaname, and Messer's memory perhaps??? Great show again.

There was the scene a few episodes back where they established that Hayate had a Fold Receptor factor of his own, which seemed to shift the source of Hayate's synchronization with Freyja away from the Fold Quartz necklace to his actual person. Though that assumes that when they tested Hayate for that, that they controlled for external factors such as the necklace. Fold Quartz may be rare, but Mirage specifically identified it as such in Episode 14, and Walküre should know it too.

Or, I don't think that Mirage should/would be entirely assigning Hayate's connection with Freyja to the necklace.

Lewd! :lol:

I still wonder how Wright's pendant fits into the Revolution. If he had the same abilities as Hayate, he could have also been immune to any proto-Var the Windermerians developed. Taking it further, Arad may have seen Wright pilot under the pendent's influence before, which helps explain why he wasn't surprised when his son was able down Borgue. But it's just Fold Quartz though. It must not have any significance to the Windermerians if it didn't set off any alarm bells for the Knights, even the older ones, or Roid, the kingdom's Protoculture expert, in their face to face encounter with Hayate.

Also, anyone else wondering where all of the Zentradi have gone from this part of the galaxy? We've been left with just Mirage, Ernest, and possibly Reina long before all of them were completely Var'ed.

I still wonder how Wright's pendant fits into the Revolution. If he had the same abilities as Hayate, he could have also been immune to any proto-Var the Windermerians developed. Taking it further, Arad may have seen Wright pilot under the pendent's influence before, which helps explain why he wasn't surprised when his son was able down Borgue. But it's just Fold Quartz though. It must not have any significance to the Windermerians if it didn't set off any alarm bells for the Knights, even the older ones, or Roid, the kingdom's Protoculture expert, in their face to face encounter with Hayate.

As they use Var effectively in their operations, they could have a good understanding of the physics behind it. And yes, it is weird that they are oblivious to the fact that people who have fold quartz are Var immune.

Great podcast! And I agree with Jason, the back and forth between everyone was very entertaining and made for a fun listen.

Two thoughts:

First, on Hayate's pendant. It appears to be what allows him to resonate (he always grabs it whenever he's feeling the connection), so that makes me wonder what would happen if he gave it to someone else? If he let Mirage wear it, would she now resonate with Freyja? That might be too much 'midichlorian-izing' of the whole thing, but it's what came to mind.

Second, on Arad and Kaname. I don't think Messer has come between them, I think it's their own putting up a front that's come between them. Their relationship was always comrades-in-arms in previous episodes, and only through the eyes of others was there ever any romantic angle to it. Karice pointed to the jellyfish snacks as flirting, but I honestly think it's just a comfortable friendship forged over spending lots of working time together. I like the idea that Kaname is offended at what Arad and Johnson knowingly did with Messer, and that's part of it, but I think that a few episodes back after Messer's death, when Arad and Kaname asked each other how they were doing and both basically said "Fine, never better", that inability to actually talk to each other is what is now producing awkwardness between them. They both know there's more, but now that they've both put a lie out there, they can't easily back down from it, and because of that what used to be easy and comfortable is now awkward and distancing. My two cents, for what it's worth.

I really wonder if the speaker podcast crew think it is worth their time and effort in discussing the last 3-4 episodes.

I have the greatest respect for you guys and i really love to listen to you guys banter.

I mean, as a normal viewer, it left a pretty sour taste just watching it. Having to watch it and spend at least an hour discussing what are probably lame episodes, then editing it before posting it? I can't imagine what a chore it could be for you (unless you really enjoyed the episodes).

Edited by BlueMax

I really wonder if the speaker podcast crew think it is worth their time and effort in discussing the last 3-4 episodes.

I have the greatest respect for you guys and i really love to listen to you guys banter.

I mean, as a normal viewer, it left a pretty sour taste just watching it. Having to watch it and spend at least an hour discussing what are probably lame episodes, then editing it before posting it? I can't imagine what a chore it could be for you (unless you really enjoyed the episodes).

Gwyn should have our episode 21 of the GERTALK cast up soon. It's true, some of us are getting worried while the other half seems to enjoy the pacing of the last few episodes.

We all appreciate you taking the time to listen to the show.

The Archer/omake comparison was pretty damn good. :)

Edit 1 (Yeah, I'm doing this as I listen to the thing): We've seen the Draken's control input for transformation, during Bogue and Hayate's fight over Voldor. It's a right-angle stick movement similar to how it's done on VFs. However, it's done by moving the right stick down instead of the left.

Edited by This Confuses Gamlin

Enjoyable as always, you guys always do a great job. Also congratulations and thanks for your involvement in the subtitles, nice work. It also speaks well of the Macross franchise that they would look for and accept input from fans in putting the product together (I understand that you are all involved in the industry to differing degrees, and so are not exactly outsiders to the process, but still...)

I will say that I was a bit disappointed that the discussion about the production change (13 episodes and a movie to 26 episodes) was cut short, I would have liked to hear more thoughts on that, especially why Adrian was so adamant that it was not to fault for the change in pacing and coherency that we've been seeing in the later episodes. The change is becoming quite a focus in most of the discussions I've seen and your insights, as insiders of a kind, would be helpful.

Thanks again!

Love the podcast.

More Renato please, Craig please for the love of all things give the other members a chance to talk.

You just gave me the incentive to start talking more on the cast.

Edited by Save

I'm betting on a season two for Delta especially if a more permanent solution to the Var Syndrome is not found in the next few weeks. If anything can be taken out of the lull in action in the last few weeks it's that Windermere found a way weaponize it for mass mind control and there are groups out there waiting to exploit it. Even if they lose their war, they've opened a whole new can of worms for future conflicts.