Macross World Podcast - feedback & comments

Tochiro

Gubaba

Someone named Roycommi already translated "The Lost Two Years" and "Plundering Fleet."

Check out

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=3705&page=2

If you were talking about something else, then nevere mind :)

Those aren't complete translations... "The Plundering Fleet" is about six pages of closely printed, small-font text, and "The Lost Two Years" is about fifteen.

Yay, more SpeakerPodcast!

Once again, Gubaba, great job on translating "White Reminisces". Even if it was a rough translation, it was still poignant.

Good old Sheryl and her good old birthday.... :D

What's that about a Destroid-centric story that you guys keep mocking? Is it a reference to something? (The only thing I can think of is someone from Robotech fandom who wrote a Destroid fanfic series, but he was a huge jackass, so mock away!)

I was one of the first people to notice the indelicate Valk placement on the Macross Christmas art, and I'm surprised you're taking that slight issue with it.

I hope Kawamori finds a way to incorporate two or all of the prime Macross elements into a new work: look forward to something else from the franchise. The Musicalture sounded like a strong tribute to these tropes, even if not literally, and was also less conventional.

Macross fans not wanting to settle for the franchise's notion of "canon" has never bothered me, because this involves expecting viewers to rewire their entire perception of what mainstream storytelling is and what it does, and viewers shouldn't have to make that effort. The viewpoint of Macross on "canon" also isn't a streamlined and refreshing alternative to the ideas that most wester viewers grew up with.

Eventually these viewers gotta learn that nothing will change, but it's still not something to not be flustered with.

The exception to this is the question of whether the Frontier movies or TV series are "canon": when movie retellings are standard for anime series and are essentially AU retellings of each other, asking which is canon seems pointless. It's like asking which Ghost in the Shell adaptation is "canon".

Anyway, keep up the good work!

What's that about a Destroid-centric story that you guys keep mocking? Is it a reference to something?

Not anything specific... but several members here over the years have said that they want a gritty and realistic OVA about Destroid pilots during Space War I (inspired by The 08th MS Team, I presume).

Yep, I'm sadly familiar with the "Macross should be gritty" crowd.

I do wonder why it's Destroids, though. Those things aren't that popular--maybe that's the point?

Perhaps part of the "Gundam Needs Grit" crowd? :p

Q: What was the version of Runner you guys used at the end of the episode?

Not anything specific... but several members here over the years have said that they want a gritty and realistic OVA about Destroid pilots during Space War I (inspired by The 08th MS Team, I presume).

Well, I want a prequel where the pilots fly F-203 Dragons, but you don't see that happening. GAWD.

Loved the place, though the place can be a bit of a headache to find, even with the youtube directions from the place's website. Fortunately I was staying nearby which gave me ample time to find it.

Btw, for those who didn't drink there, if you like cocktails he makes good ones. The first page of his drinks menu are supposedly his original creations.

I tried a few of them, the tosugeki love heart and the mylene one. If I go back there I'd invest some time there and try them all, unfortunately I don't think I'll be back to Osaka for a while though.

Great video guys and like Gubaba said, very fitting soundtrack to it.

While looking at the video I must confess one thought kept popping up: Either that's a very small door or you guys have some Zentran blood in you. :D

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm hard at work editing episode 12. Due to length, I will be splitting it in two - half will go up this week with the second half coming a week later.

Part one will cover news and Save's Wonderfestival Winter 2014 report.

More importantly, Part 1 will have an opening that features the sultry sounds of crooners Gubaba and Renato! ;-)

Which leads me to a question - since we seem to have established the podcast as an ongoing (if infrequently occurring) thing, I'd like to have an original piece of opening music to give the show more of a personality. Most longer running podcasts tend to do this (ie, the ANN cast, Collection DX, etc).

So - is there anyone out there with some musical chops who would like to try putting together an opening theme for us? I'd prefer something that includes some vocal clips (either from the cast or Macross) but am totally open to all suggestions!

Any thoughts?

Just listened to part 2. Good stuff. Interesting conversation and stuff to talk about. Can't wait for the next one. You guys rock. My only hope is that if I can get out there this year, maybe in June or July, that we can sit through one of the shows.

Just finished hearing your podcast. Great job guys, thank you. They keep getting more interesting and the sound quality has improved so much since the early versions.

Regarding the Valkyrie Project affair, I talked to a mexican friend who told me that apparently most of the Latin American Robotech fandom is incensed at Harmony Gold for what happened and raising hell in a couple of forums and Facebook pages. So it's pretty interesting to read your take on things. I wonder who ordered that cease and desist to be sent. In any case, it's another sad case for HG where they are once again best known for their lawyers instead of their products.

A nice real long listen this time. Thank you.

Even if you were joking, a Salvador Dali / Macross mash-up sounds amaaazing.

The actually existing art of Macross characters with Tezuka characters is also pretty nice.

Alas, I dislike Ranka, too, though not for shippery reasons.

As for the cost of Valkyrie toys, I've never owned one so I can't comment on if you get enough bang for you buck, but it's hard for anyone to see outside of their regional culture of distribution and costs. I'm still floored whenever I remember how much things cost over in Japan, glad I don't have to pay, but I don't necessarily blame the country for their business model.

The idiot in me wants to laugh at every Harmony Gold C n' D out there, since, hey, HG isn't doing much with their stuff anyway. Gah, it's still painful to watch Harmony Gold pretend they have a viable media franchise, and so many people going along with it.

Sadly, I got the Laszlo Zand reference. Sigh.

• 2 weeks later...

It has come to my attention that we have now been doing this podcast for three years. Time really flies!!

Our first episode was just after Sayonara no Tsubasa came out, and we have survived while Macross Ace and Newtype Ace came and went, FB7 erm, "happened", and of course things were winding down but are only going to heat up again as we move into a new stage in the history of the Macross franchise.

We always feel we have a lot to talk about because, frankly, there is ALWAYS something Macross-related happening, and we feel it is our duty to put it out there and let people in the English-speaking world know. I think it is important that despite the HG blockade, Macross as a property is full of vitality in Japan. Having said that, if anyone has any suggestions regarding further discussion topics other than event reports or speculation on the latest news, please leave some here or go on iTunes and leave us a review/comment, or email us directly at.... whatever the address is. Tochiro? I think it's like speakerpodcast at gmail or something like that.

There is a lot to look forward to: more guests, more events, more product reviews (the Shudista box set comes out in a month and a half!), more deculture and more anima spiritia!! Iku ze, kawaiiko-chan!! Yaa--fuuu!

I like the podcasts so far. Not really any suggestions at this point, as I haven't thought of it, really. I do like the little sound bytes in between. You guys should put more of those in.