Macross World Podcast - feedback & comments

Tochiro

Re-opening the triangle alone would agitate viewers, but Hikaru also has to act like a cad to keep stretching the love triangle out that far. While he's made bad choices before, the entire thing, once you get past a knee-jerk dislike of Hikaru for his actions, feels just a tad unnatural, like this wasn't where the series was meant to go.

Simply put: it wasn't.

I didn't really see it as resolved in Episode 27. In fact right before he got in his valkyrie, Hikaru professes his love to Minmay and Misa was as good as gone when she left the Macross for Earth. It was by chance that he re-entered atmosphere and picked up her signal or else she was a goner for sure. On the valkyrie when they were flying towards the SDF-1 Misa touched Hikaru's hand but as far as we knew Hikaru's heart was still pining for Minmay. I never really saw any of them as annoying as they were pretty much all experiencing first love, except for misa who pretty much given up on it since HER first love died. During the Reconstruction, the love triangle picked up where it left off but the rest of it had a different feeling. But for me it was this "what's next?" for the Macross, not for the three. I believe the some audience would have been agitated either way, some people would have that "that's it?" reaction if it finished at 27 or the different overall atmosphere of the world after the big face off with Bodolza's fleet.

I think you're reading episode 27 wrong... Hikaru does not profess his love to Minmay -- he says that he *was* in love with her. When they kiss, it is a goodbye kiss. And once he sees her kiss Kaifun, even though it's part of the mission, he feels closure.

Well, "thinking with the wrong head" isn't a justification for anything.

Calm down. I'm not trying to claim that this was the writers justification just that, as a young boy, it seemed obvious that Hikaru was playing the field.

Actually, as a grown man, it seems even more probable that this is what he was doing, lol.

Simply put: it wasn't.

Bingo!

I think you're reading episode 27 wrong... Hikaru does not profess his love to Minmay -- he says that he *was* in love with her. When they kiss, it is a goodbye kiss. And once he sees her kiss Kaifun, even though it's part of the mission, he feels closure.

Renato speaks the truth - he was there!

Well, I didn't mean to sound harsh, just that using the justification "he's acting just like a guy" is a boring way to address something in the storyline that's irritating.

And yeah, I knew that the aftermath episodes were a hasty addition to SDFM, which is why I take their events and what they "mean" to the world of the series with a grain of salt. That is, I've seen some people use them to show that Macross really is a cynical universe, which I don't believe. It's just that when you're rushing things to production, sometimes the themes and tone will fall by the wayside.

Hikaru still gets under my skin, but I guess that's not fair o' me.

I didn't want to break out my Subbed version but I searched online and all I can find is the dubbed version. If I'm reading it wrong then because it was a mistranslation and I can't understand a word of japanese so I can just trust you guys. But now I'm wondering why anyone would profess that they used to be in love with someone... makes less sense to me and totally ruins every meaning of the scene. It takes away the conflict and awkwardness of what Hikaru did. I got that he got closure when they were in his room. He already said that he hoped that Minmay would be happy with Kaifun in the in the scene before that. But the closure didn't mean that he was already into Misa.

I'm going to add the animego subs to my blurays of the series... I guess I'll have a chance to re-explore that scene.

I do think Hikaru is meant to get under your skin. I mean he stood up Misa for what? A lousy scarf? And he was always kind of an a-hole... I mean the guy shoved his fan racer in the middle of a precisely timed maneuver of an airshow, before he knew the capabilities of a VF-1. Frustration is part of the fun though, especially in the middle of a complex love triangle. But I do agree the last episodes were rushed but I think they did an especially great job tacking those episodes on. They're a lot better than a whole season of some tv shows today.

>EXO<, on 31 Jan 2013 - 07:26, said:

I'm going to add the animego subs to my blurays of the series... I guess I'll have a chance to re-explore that scene.

I suggest you add the Galaxy Network subs instead (or better still, *as well*). From what I remember Animeigo is accurate for the most part, but there are several errors... I think I may need to rewatch them soon to double-check.

• 1 month later...

That's all you guys talk about? Oh well... sounds like a must skip then...

No, we talk about more than that... but that's what's behind the door.

What's COCO's?

http://www.cocosbakery.com/

Here's what happened... we were number 55 for seating. They called number 53. Group 53 promptly stood up and took their seats. A few minutes later, they called for 54. They called again. Group 54 wasn't there. So they called for us. We sat down, we were preparing to order, we'd made our decisions... Roughly five or ten minutes had passed since we sat down...

And then, the waiter came to us and said that Group 54 had just shown up, so could we please leave our table and go back to the waiting area for the next available table?

We just left.

Available this weekend? Looking forward to hearing what's in store at Yamarcadia.

Probably not this weekend. Maybe next week. And you know about as much as we do about the Yamarcadia situation.

No, we talk about more than that... but that's what's behind the door.

I'm just messing... always looking forward to your podcasts...

They have Coco's in Japan? I never go to the ones here... lol.

there was a picture someone posted on the FB of what's behind the door... kinda creepy because it was thru the glass...

Available this weekend? Looking forward to hearing what's in store at Yamarcadia.

Sorry, its running a week later than intended due to Hanami season and impromtu drinking sessions with many of the folks who are in town for the Tokyo Anime Fair. Have set aside time to lock the final edit down this coming Sunday.

I'm still working through the second part but so far I'm enjoying what you guys are bringing out. I like Howard's stories about the doujins most people don't see cuz generally people aren't getting off on the robots ;3

Although there was that one lady from 4chan...

I'm still working through the second part but so far I'm enjoying what you guys are bringing out. I like Howard's stories about the doujins most people don't see cuz generally people aren't getting off on the robots ;3

Although there was that one lady from 4chan...

I'm still roughly five minutes from the end of Part 1, myself...

Still... "Haruka CHI-SU-GAAAAAAA!!"

EDIT: Save being the lonely, solitary Macross II fan is our greatest running joke.

Edited by Gubaba

Sounds like a plan!

It depends on the categories, imo.

Mainly some sexual things i.e. R-18, ero, BL, Loli or something like that?

Hmm, some likes them, but the other doesn't like.

Story-related discussion doujinshis will be welcomed to everyone, I think.

If you want to handle with some sexual ones, please write the timestamps in detail. And I will skip the part I don't like.

It depends on the categories, imo.

Mainly some sexual things i.e. R-18, ero, BL, Loli or something like that?

Hmm, some likes them, but the other doesn't like.

Story-related discussion doujinshis will be welcomed to everyone, I think.

If you want to handle with some sexual ones, please write the timestamps in detail. And I will skip the part I don't like.

I believe that in order to qualify to be put on itunes as a podcast it will have to be free of overly sexual content. Which is fine with me, it is fairly easy to google macross hentai dojinshi and find scans in the usual places. I would rather cover the non hentai and mecha based dojin that dont show up on google searches.

I believe that in order to qualify to be put on itunes as a podcast it will have to be free of overly sexual content. Which is fine with me, it is fairly easy to google macross hentai dojinshi and find scans in the usual places. I would rather cover the non hentai and mecha based dojin that dont show up on google searches.

I agree with you.

I want to read and hear your impressions about the doujinshi like "Gun Sight" by Kawamori-san, Mikimoto-san and others over 30 years ago. It changed into "GUNDAM CENTURY" and was actually published by a major publishing company in the end.

I wonder if such treasures like it written about Macross are still being sold in the Comic Markets nowadays. Many of booklets sold there are the ero things...