Macross World Podcast - feedback & comments

Tochiro

I've recently started working through the SpeakerPodCast's back catalog during my thrice-weekly walking-trail exercise. Always fascinating, but to supply context and improve comprehensibility, might I suggest:

• At the start of each episode, state the date you're recording it. The publication date is metadata, but I don't necessarily look at the metadata if I'm letting my iPhone iterate through my podcast queue.
  • Also at the start: what's the current state of emergency in Tokyo, and how has that impacted moving out-and-about?
  • When name-dropping, help those of us who aren't so plugged-in to the industry and physical layout of Japan:
    • People: "So-and-so, director of Series-PQR and Series-STU"
    • Musicians: They tend to have weird names that a listener might not recognize when spoken. "Who's Main? Oh, May'n, the vocalist for Sheryl Nome. I thought it was pronounced May-uhn."
    • Projects: "Title-XYZ, a TV series from 2007"
    • Locations: "Held at Site-JKL, a small event venue in the basement of a department store in Gotanda ward, Tokyo"

Each episode has an agenda but the actual direction of the conversation is seat-of-the-pants, so please keep in mind, "if we allude to XYZ, how much context (who/what/when/where/why) do listeners need, to understand why XYZ is significant?" If you realize during editing that clarification is needed, insert an explanation: "In this next section we talk about the production team for ABC: person 1, person 2, and person 3, whom we've met at several publicity events over the past five years, so they're willing to share extra details with us."

On 8/29/2021 at 10:43 AM, ValkAddict said:

I just finished listening to this one over the last few days. Long, but great stuff! Thanks to all of you (especially Tony) for explaining many of the hidden meanings and storyline threads. It helped me appreciate the series more.

I've also been listening to the older podcasts (started with episode 1 and am currently at episode 84) - it's great to hear the groups thoughts and views on past Macross and anime events.

Thanks so much for tuning in! We (in other words, me ^^; ) can get off topic a bit at times but hopefully we manage to convey what the fan experience is like over here, which is what we initially set out to do.
If you have any questions or feedback - its always welcome 🙂

On 9/5/2021 at 10:23 PM, Lexomatic said:

I've recently started working through the SpeakerPodCast's back catalog during my thrice-weekly walking-trail exercise. Always fascinating, but to supply context and improve comprehensibility, might I suggest:

• At the start of each episode, state the date you're recording it. The publication date is metadata, but I don't necessarily look at the metadata if I'm letting my iPhone iterate through my podcast queue.
  • Also at the start: what's the current state of emergency in Tokyo, and how has that impacted moving out-and-about?
  • When name-dropping, help those of us who aren't so plugged-in to the industry and physical layout of Japan:
    • People: "So-and-so, director of Series-PQR and Series-STU"
    • Musicians: They tend to have weird names that a listener might not recognize when spoken. "Who's Main? Oh, May'n, the vocalist for Sheryl Nome. I thought it was pronounced May-uhn."
    • Projects: "Title-XYZ, a TV series from 2007"
    • Locations: "Held at Site-JKL, a small event venue in the basement of a department store in Gotanda ward, Tokyo"

Each episode has an agenda but the actual direction of the conversation is seat-of-the-pants, so please keep in mind, "if we allude to XYZ, how much context (who/what/when/where/why) do listeners need, to understand why XYZ is significant?" If you realize during editing that clarification is needed, insert an explanation: "In this next section we talk about the production team for ABC: person 1, person 2, and person 3, whom we've met at several publicity events over the past five years, so they're willing to share extra details with us."

Many thanks for listening and for the extensive feedback! Will see what we can do, but any changes unfortunately have to take a backseat to just finding the time to get anything out at the moment. Often we do need to record separate segments whenever we can in 20-30 mins segments with editing being crammed in during lunch breaks (when I actually get lunch breaks ^^; ) hence the lack of dates - a single cast might be done in several segments over a month and may not actually get edited for a month or more depending on how busy things are. And with a movie and a 40th anniversary coming up - oh boy ^^; At least things are in the meta data, as you noted.
But we are always hoping to improve over the long run, so thanks again for the feedback!

@Tochiro, @Save, @Renato - Just finished listening to your recent podcast, great stuff!

It's cool to listen to your news segment and actually follow what you're discussing in real-time. I'm looking forward to the next Delta movie as well. (As I've been listening to many of your older podcasts the last year and their news segments obviously are no longer news.) Regarding @Renato's comments about the Bandai Chogokin DX VF-1D - preach!! I want a Minmay figure that can sit in the valk too!!

Did @Save ever record his thoughts on the Evolution Toys VF-2SS toy? If so, which episode? I'm curious if he was disappointed or not, and if he thinks the Bandai Hi-Metal toy was better. :)

Keep it up - this fan appreciates the podcast!!

1 hour ago, ValkAddict said:

Did @Save ever record his thoughts on the Evolution Toys VF-2SS toy? If so, which episode? I'm curious if he was disappointed or not, and if he thinks the Bandai Hi-Metal toy was better. :)

I wouldn't put words in @Save 's mouth. But I know many wanted to support Evolution toys efforts, if only to show M2 love. And for toy companies to take note there is a , somewhat, sizable demand for such toys. And, imo , Bandai did take note..

1 hour ago, ValkAddict said:

Here's the SpeakerPodcast direct link for Episode 30: https://www.decultureshock.com/speakerpodcast-ep-30-delta-folds-in/

Below is @Tochiro's post of the said episode above in the Evolution Toy VF-2SS toy thread back in 2015.

On 11/6/2015 at 10:14 AM, Tochiro said:

Latest podcast includes SAVE's impressions of the VF-2SS and the lowdown on the SAP.
Timestamps included.

http://www.macrossworld.com/speakerpodcast-ep-30-delta-folds-in/

And these are some podcasts I found via search regarding VF-2SS conversation: 

https://www.decultureshock.com/speakerpodcast-ep-95-the-doctor-is-region-locked/

https://www.decultureshock.com/speakerpodcast-ep-97-adrian-knerds-out/

https://www.decultureshock.com/speakerpodcast-ep-91-gotta-have-a-party-gunhed/

https://www.decultureshock.com/speakerpodcast-ep-24-we-dont-need-no-landing-gear/

43 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I wouldn't put words in @Save 's mouth. But I know many wanted to support Evolution toys efforts, if only to show M2 love. And for toy companies to take note there is a , somewhat, sizable demand for such toys. And, imo , Bandai did take note..

My intention wasn't to be overly critical of Evolution Toys. Listening to the podcasts, I know that he's a big Macross II fan.

And thanks @no3Ljm for all the links! I will have to check them out.

5 minutes ago, ValkAddict said:

My intention wasn't to be overly critical of Evolution Toys. Listening to the podcasts, I know that he's a big Macross II fan.

I don't think anyone thought you were having an intention to be critical. About anything. 

2 hours ago, Tochiro said:
So this was originally going to be a podcast dedicated to Godzilla vs Kong - but then this weekend's Macross news dropped! The result? One very long podcast ^^;

Another new podcast already?? Awesome!! Looking forward to hearing your guys' thoughts on the recent Macross news

Edited by ValkAddict

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2021 at 7:36 PM, Tochiro said:
So this was originally going to be a podcast dedicated to Godzilla vs Kong - but then this weekend's Macross news dropped! The result? One very long podcast ^^;

Finally had a chance to listen to this one. Another great discussion. Truly appreciate you guys getting together to record these.

On 9/19/2021 at 7:36 PM, Tochiro said:

Had a few listen to's on this one. Very much enjoyed it! I too grew up watching Godzilla in the 70's and have been a fan ever since. Definitely appreciated Adrian and Tony's input. SP has been a fun watch, also.

Considering we now have the first 5 minutes of the new Delta Movie  (info dump/ TEASER in Renato's voice/), and it's about to drop in Japanese theaters, (along with the Frontier short!) , I expect there will be much to talk about in the near future ! 

Great job guys, Thanks !

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
11 hours ago, Bolt said:

Mm.. I think a few folk are burnt out ..

Neverthe less , I'm a fan.  

Oh yeah, I forgot that this forum got hit hard by the huge brain drain and other garbage that happened over the past few years.  Their professional relationship to the franchise through Creative Sphere may have changed significantly in recent months.

Thanks to @Einherjar, @Bolt & @RDX17 for listening and continuing to check in 🙂
In short, work has kept the crew away from the mic as of late, both because of the amount of it and the changing nature of what we do and our professional relationships with the various parties involved. We have a couple of older episodes in the can that I'm hoping we can salvage, although we will be looking at broadening the subjects we cover in the future so we can continue to bring the Japanese experience to our listeners without stepping on any toes. Look for something podcast-wise to go up in about a month from now. We also have literally a dozen photo galleries from various events over the last year waiting to be posted, and hopefully more to come.

In the meantime, we did recently have a guest spot discussing the work we've been up to, so if anyone is in need of some background noise, please check it out 🙂

On 4/4/2022 at 7:23 PM, Tochiro said:

Thanks to @Einherjar, @Bolt & @RDX17 for listening and continuing to check in 🙂
In short, work has kept the crew away from the mic as of late, both because of the amount of it and the changing nature of what we do and our professional relationships with the various parties involved. We have a couple of older episodes in the can that I'm hoping we can salvage, although we will be looking at broadening the subjects we cover in the future so we can continue to bring the Japanese experience to our listeners without stepping on any toes. Look for something podcast-wise to go up in about a month from now. We also have literally a dozen photo galleries from various events over the last year waiting to be posted, and hopefully more to come.

In the meantime, we did recently have a guest spot discussing the work we've been up to, so if anyone is in need of some background noise, please check it out 🙂

Thanks for the shout out Tochiro, and always looking forward to hearing what you and crew have going on. All the best!

*Just finished up listening to the Giant Robot FM podcast with your interview. An incredible amount of detail. Thanks as always for taking the time to share your experiences and provide the updates.

Edited by RDX17

• 1 month later...

I really enjoyed reading about Creative Sphere's work and all your guys involvement in bringing us more deculture. In the Anime News Network article. Your passion , love and dedication is appreciated!

• 1 year later...
On 4/4/2022 at 7:23 PM, Tochiro said:

work has kept the crew away from the mic as of late, both because of the amount of it and the changing nature of what we do and our professional relationships with the various parties involved.

Holy hiatus! I hope we get something Macross (or anything else!) related soon ! 
Best wishes to the crew. :)